The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 June 2014, 07:14 AM   #1
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
New SD compare to GMT blue

Spoke with a Rolex AD today at the AirPort in Paris and hé confirmed me what I already noticed. New SD is here available but hé mainly receive request for black-blue GMT.

New SD is expensive for poor extra benefit compare to old version and for people who like to show they wear something new it's clearly not obvious if you don ´t have old one with you to compare !

Black-blue GMT is still difficult to find in Europe and no way to find one in a shop except if you are super lucky.
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 07:23 AM   #2
AbsolutelyROLEX!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AKA: ANDERL712000
any Rollie on the wrist is fabulous!

Hans Wilsdorf, Rolex founder
AbsolutelyROLEX! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Norwegian Husky
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCH1969 View Post
Spoke with a Rolex AD today at the AirPort in Paris and hé confirmed me what I already noticed. New SD is here available but hé mainly receive request for black-blue GMT.

New SD is expensive for poor extra benefit compare to old version and for people who like to show they wear something new it's clearly not obvious if you don ´t have old one with you to compare !

Black-blue GMT is still difficult to find in Europe and no way to find one in a shop except if you are super lucky.
Must be nice to have your own thoughts confirmed at an AD...
Norwegian Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 07:41 AM   #4
philwong
"TRF" Member

Apparently the Batman is very accessible in Asia. I was gonna flip one from the UK back to Asia then I've been told you can just walk in to an AD in Asia and buy one..

IMHO the older SD is undervalue (I'm talking about after 1665 onwards) compare to subs as they are different watches (it does dive deeper) , but subs seems to be the more valued. One cool thing I like the new SD is the fact the bezel is full tracked, just like the milsub! And we all know how much those bezel fetches and is probably the first full tracked one besides the milsub if I'm not wrong!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
philwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 07:43 AM   #5
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
DSSD has it too
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 07:45 AM   #6
harrjaso
Banned

Watch: Daytona 6263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATCH1969 View Post

They rarely make it to the display case. Every one that has been shipped to Hawaii was spoken for prior to arrival, including mine. I love it but am on the search for a good leather band. PCL too dressy for my beach lifestyle.

Sent from an iPhone on a secluded island
harrjaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 08:15 AM   #7
psv
"TRF" Member

I don't understand the issue. The Sea-Dweller has never been a particularly popular or well-selling watch. GMTs and Submariners out sell it 10 to 1. Now among Rolex enthusiasts and sport Rolex collectors, it has a bit of a cult-status, but that is a very, very small group of people.

Most people buy a Rolex because they want to show off so not getting colors and/or the cyclops that both scream Rolex across the room will turn the vast majority of buyers off.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 02:49 PM   #8
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
I don't understand the issue. The Sea-Dweller has never been a particularly popular or well-selling watch. GMTs and Submariners out sell it 10 to 1. Now among Rolex enthusiasts and sport Rolex collectors, it has a bit of a cult-status, but that is a very, very small group of people.

Most people buy a Rolex because they want to show off so not getting colors and/or the cyclops that both scream Rolex across the room will turn the vast majority of buyers off.
Don.t see Rolex spend so much money on a new model if they don't expect to sell it. I think they were not so successfull with the Deep Sea and try to fill a gap with new SD. I know a lot of fan of the SD including me but this new version is not taking to me especially for this price.
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 03:01 PM   #9
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Here in Thailand there are about 13 AD's but 3 that I would visit quite regularly to browse around. I'm guessing about 4 out of every 5 times I visit they have a BLNR for sale. They don't seem to last long from what I understand but the AD where I got mine told me that they get them in fairly regularly.
The same AD once told me that how many sports models you get sent in a year depends on how many non-sports models you sell. This might make sense in why they always have so many models of everything at one time. They sell tons of two-tone datejusts over here.
Rogdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 03:48 PM   #10
JohnFM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 Explorer
The Sea Dweller, old or new, is a lower key watch than the black and blue GMT. If you want to enjoy owning a Rolex without drawing a great deal of attention to it, the SD is a good way to go (even more so with the Explorer). The blue/black GMT is more noticeable and makes more of a statement.

Not exactly sure why but this is how they looked to me when I tried both on the other day. I prefer the old school, low key look, so it's the SD for me.
JohnFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 04:13 PM   #11
prestocheetah
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Panerai
I was in Germany 2 weeks ago, & there were two brand new BLNR at the ADs, one at the munich airport, the other one at stuttgart wempe!! both of them were not on display for sure, but they took that out from the back & offered to me when i asked to see if they have the new milgauss!!

p.s. Asia tends to have better chances to get most of the "hard to find" rolex, like SS Daytona, green sub hulk, BLNR etc..

so.. asia might be one of the options for you to get your blnr if you decided to get it! ;) good luck buddy
prestocheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2014, 08:58 PM   #12
Tseg
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestocheetah View Post
I was in Germany 2 weeks ago, & there were two brand new BLNR at the ADs, one at the munich airport, the other one at stuttgart wempe!! both of them were not on display for sure, but they took that out from the back & offered to me when i asked to see if they have the new milgauss!!

good luck buddy
Same when I stumbled upon my BLNR at an AD in the US... I called around and they claimed to have just received it. When I went to the store the watch was still in the Styrofoam packing from being shipped.
Tseg is offline   Reply With Quote