The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 30 April 2015, 08:54 AM   #1
floridamike
"TRF" Member

Refinished gilt 5513 value

I had a older gentleman call me looking to have his sub serviced, I asked him questions and got very excited when he said he purchased it in 1965. However what arrived was not what it could have been. The dial has been refinished as have the hands (relumed) which the seconds have been replaced. He may be interested in selling it so my question is what do you think the remaining watch is worth, its a million serial dating to 64 the case back says 3rd quarter of 63, this case is in decent shape though the edges are a little rounded, the movement is ok with some rotor wear on the plates but no major issues, Im not experienced enough with sub inserts to spot genuine vs aftermarket though its clearly not a fat font original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55131.jpg (90.0 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 55132.jpg (87.1 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 55133.jpg (50.1 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 55134.jpg (77.0 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 55135.jpg (72.4 KB, 265 views)
floridamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2015, 09:16 AM   #2
g-boac
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Best case if selling is residual/parts value for case/caseback, and movement. Bezel insert and pearl are not correct for the vintage. Crystal is either service or aftermarket, but regardless, not worth salvaging. Best way to gauge value is to review recent transactions on VRF, or to list on eBay as a no-reserve auction.

One plus is that the crown and tube appear to be vintage 24-700 twinlock. One consideration for value will be condition of case, and whether water-resistant or corroded. If too far gone, case would at least have exchange value with Rolex for new one.

Another alternative, if he's looking to keep and pass the watch on, he can look for original/period correct dial, hands, and bezel insert on VRF; or, he can send to RSC for service. The will replace dial, hands, crystal, bezel, and crown with modern service replacements - but, they will be genuine Rolex. So given the current state of the watch, this may be a step up. Pricier will be the first option, which would get the watch back to original, correct condition. It all comes down to the owner's goals.

Good luck!
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2015, 01:56 PM   #3
waspy1
Banned

It looks like a pcg case, no? Shouldn't be pcg for 1965. Personally I can't see what's worth saving there - far too much hassle to put right. Doesn't look very good at all. Value, perhaps 3-4k USD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2015, 08:55 PM   #4
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Pcg case, movement, and the insert looks fine to me. $4-5k market value I would imagine. Finding a Gikt dial would be damn near impossible, but a matte black 5513 dial would bring some value back to it, it'd be the perfect PCG sub for everyday wear.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2015, 12:01 PM   #5
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
All the parts to put it back are way to expensive now. Opinions above seem right on.
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2015, 07:14 PM   #6
The_Walrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
As mentioned it wouldn't be worth all the hassle
The_Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote