The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 December 2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Gold Rolex in a work environment

Hi everyone,

a little bit of background. i turned 21 a few months back and shortly after i started working in an enterprise software storage firm in their sales team that deals with larger accounts.

Anyhow, the other day i went to meet one of my customers face to face at their office to have a discussion. On the day i wore my 116718 Gold and green GMT, i couldn't help but notice a few of them looking and then looking back at me in an odd way, so ultimately what i want to know in you opinions is a gold Rolex suitable in an environment like this and what is the stigma around an all gold Rolex especially for someone in a sales role.

Thanks
Davidmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Highland Ranger
"TRF" Member

Two philosophies in sales - don't flaunt it as customer might think you are over charging

Vs

Customers and people in general want to be associated with successful people.

I subscribe to the latter. Especially for corporate It. And almost every other environment for that matter.
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

When I think of gold Rolex and sales, I can't help but to think of this:

But seriously, it really all depends on your work, your workplace, etc. If the watch is interfering with work, then take it off. If not, keep it on.

I know it would be too much for me. So it's WG for me.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 12:40 PM   #4
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Ranger View Post
Two philosophies in sales - don't flaunt it as customer might think you are over charging

Vs

Customers and people in general want to be associated with successful people.

I subscribe to the latter. Especially for corporate It. And almost every other environment for that matter.
i believe this to be somewhat the case also, interesting how a watch can make such impressions
Old 9 December 2015, 12:41 PM   #5
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Gold Rolex at 21? Shouldn't be, but likely a problem.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 12:45 PM   #6
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
Gold Rolex at 21? Shouldn't be, but likely a problem.
i shouldn't think it would be a problem either, but i am interested in understanding the possibilities as to why?
Old 9 December 2015, 12:48 PM   #7
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post
When I think of gold Rolex and sales, I can't help but to think of this:

But seriously, it really all depends on your work, your workplace, etc. If the watch is interfering with work, then take it off. If not, keep it on.

I know it would be too much for me. So it's WG for me.
haha coffee is for closers.
Old 9 December 2015, 12:48 PM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmay View Post
i shouldn't think it would be a problem either, but i am interested in understanding the possibilities as to why?
A 30k+$ Rolex for a 20 something "kid". Endless possibilities.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 12:55 PM   #9
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Endless possibilities as to why it may be an issue?
Old 9 December 2015, 01:01 PM   #10
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll the Lex View Post

haha I was thinking same thing...lol +1

But really, If you act the part then they will understand why you have it...Some will think it fake. Those who know, will surely know...

Congrat's on PM at 21 Woo Hoo!

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:07 PM   #11
texex91
"TRF" Member

Who cares what they think--enjoy it and glad you have one at 21....rock on!
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:07 PM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Endless possibilities as to why it may be an issue?
For better or worse, people love to make judgements. I've got no idea what you did to earn that watch. And neither does anyone else.

People make their own judgements and it typically involves a lot of factors. But an easy jump, true or not, is that a young kid wearing an excessive luxury watch did not earn it and grew up with a certain privilege.

It may be true. It may be false. But we live in a world where people make judgements. And thus is the first place people will go.

Potentially, it could shadow the true merit that might be the real reason behind it.

But I can say for certain it took me nearly 20 years past that age to be able to afford such a piece.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:08 PM   #13
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Quote:
As a 28 year old. A TT Submariner brought many comments and few were positive.

Many were put off by it. Seemed to be a "Why can someone younger than me afford that. I must be a failure type or negative envy type comments."

Switched to an SS Air King and the men never noticed it but the women all complimented me on an elegant watch.

Same TT Sub at 35 and only got compliments. SS Daytona at 56 and no one notices. *Shrug*
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:14 PM   #14
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
For better or worse, people love to make judgements. I've got no idea what you did to earn that watch. And neither does anyone else.

People make their own judgements and it typically involves a lot of factors. But an easy jump, true or not, is that a young kid wearing an excessive luxury watch did not earn it and grew up with a certain privilege.

It may be true. It may be false. But we live in a world where people make judgements. And thus is the first place people will go.

Potentially, it could shadow the true merit that might be the real reason behind it.

But I can say for certain it took me nearly 20 years past that age to be able to afford such a piece.

thank you, i understand where you are coming from, was just intrigued in understanding why. as for the comments from people they vary significantly
Old 9 December 2015, 01:17 PM   #15
DJ TT 2002
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

a little bit of background. i turned 21 a few months back and shortly after i started working in an enterprise software storage firm in their sales team that deals with larger accounts.

Anyhow, the other day i went to meet one of my customers face to face at their office to have a discussion. On the day i wore my 116718 Gold and green GMT, i couldn't help but notice a few of them looking and then looking back at me in an odd way, so ultimately what i want to know in you opinions is a gold Rolex suitable in an environment like this and what is the stigma around an all gold Rolex especially for someone in a sales role.

Thanks
Any pictures to add a frame of reference???????
DJ TT 2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:19 PM   #16
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Put that coffee down!!
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:20 PM   #17
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ TT 2002 View Post
Any pictures to add a frame of reference???????
Certainly, here we go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 December 2015, 01:34 PM   #18
photodork
"TRF" Member

Watch: '57 oyster royal
im pretty sure it was the monogrammed cuff ;)
ps..lovely watch!

Last edited by photodork; 9 December 2015 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: im dumb
photodork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:36 PM   #19
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin camping View Post
As a 28 year old. A TT Submariner brought many comments and few were positive.

Many were put off by it. Seemed to be a "Why can someone younger than me afford that. I must be a failure type or negative envy type comments."

Switched to an SS Air King and the men never noticed it but the women all complimented me on an elegant watch.

Same TT Sub at 35 and only got compliments. SS Daytona at 56 and no one notices. *Shrug*
that is interesting to hear the change of attitude because of age of the wearer, i haven't come across anything too negative as of yet but there have been some interesting comments. i often mix it up with a few watches in my collection and those if they do receive any comments they are much like you said, a lot more positive.
Old 9 December 2015, 01:39 PM   #20
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I say "who cares." I don't work in sales, but I do work in the medical field. I've never once gotten a comment regarding my watches except from my close friends who wanted to see them. I also do not currently own any precious metal watches but I have worn a two tone Breitling in the past which got me an occasional compliment from a patient.

I think "you" say more about yourself than a watch does. If you're a bozo you'll be treated like one, if you're a good person you'll be regarded as one. Maybe it's because of where I am from, but I never understood these posts about wearing "too expensive" a watch.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:40 PM   #21
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photodork View Post
ps..lovely watch!
i knew the monogram cuffs would come back to haunt me one day ;)

thank you
Old 9 December 2015, 01:42 PM   #22
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by photodork View Post
ps..lovely watch!

I'm in sales as well and I would only wear my nice or Rolexes in front of clients that I am really close to and I know it wouldn't bother them if they noticed.

It's funny but I have really noticed recently that only WIS even know what we are wearing. 99.999% of people don't notice for give a crap.
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:43 PM   #23
Davidmay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I say "who cares." I don't work in sales, but I do work in the medical field. I've never once gotten a comment regarding my watches except from my close friends who wanted to see them. I also do not currently own any precious metal watches but I have worn a two tone Breitling in the past which got me an occasional compliment from a patient.

I think "you" say more about yourself than a watch does. If you're a bozo you'll be treated like one, if you're a good person you'll be regarded as one. Maybe it's because of where I am from, but I never understood these posts about wearing "too expensive" a watch.
Evan, completely agree with the comment about your personality saying more about you than a watch. i was interested in undertaking if people have noticed similar things whilst wearing their watches. Anyway it will definitely not stop me from enjoying wearing it
Old 9 December 2015, 01:49 PM   #24
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Evan, completely agree with the comment about your personality saying more about you than a watch. i was interested in undertaking if people have noticed similar things whilst wearing their watches. Anyway it will definitely not stop me from enjoying wearing it
Absolutely! Look if I were working professionally alongside anyone who owned a nice watch (regardless of how much it cost or how old they were) they'd only end up getting a compliment from me and maybe some common ground to start a conversation.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:50 PM   #25
TripleB Boston
Banned

Watch: GMTII Blue/Red
It is flashy... But that's prolly why you bought it. It's a beautiful piece that sparkles in the light.

People see things that sparkle and their eyes are attracted to the light...After they notice it, then the mind starts racing through all the previous posts...."am I a failure, why don't I have one, damn this young kid...."

I say, congrats! You earned it so enjoy it. But if you want to blend in, get a white metal watch.

I am a builder. I wear a 14060M on a bond nato strap while framing walls, and no one has ever said a word.
But if I was wearing a yellow gold model, I assume it would be different. People would notice.

Good for you man. Congrats.
TripleB Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:50 PM   #26
mikhaelj
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB & 16000
Beautiful watch david!

I'm head of sales in a financial institution. If I owned a PM I would NEVER wear it on client meetings. It could be intimidating to certain clients and comes across as "show off" even though you do not mean too.

As others have said, being young with such a watch some clients would be reluctant to accept the idea. Not saying never wear it for client meetings but definitely know your audience!
Old 9 December 2015, 01:51 PM   #27
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

I force myself to be not self conscious. I didn't steal it. I earned it because I am good at what I do. The watch is an extension of me.
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:51 PM   #28
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

2nd place gets a set of steak knives!!

My first thought, and I know it shouldn't be this way, if I saw a 21 year old wearing that watch would be "fake". As long as you enjoy it don't let superficial judgements get in the way of that enjoyment!
Jerodp716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:52 PM   #29
s14roller
"TRF" Member

In a few yrs maybe you'll understand. I remember when I was younger, I drove a 911 to my first job. At the time, it seemed pretty normal, looking back, I'm sure it rubbed people the wrong way.

Reality is, the watch will rub people the wrong way. It's just too flashy for a corporate environment. I'd leave the all gold at home and wear on night/weekends.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 December 2015, 01:57 PM   #30
abovedeck
"TRF" Member

I'm 29. I wear a PM watch 99.9% of the time. I've never had an issue with coworkers.

I've also never had an issue with clients.

When it comes to not getting along in the work place, it has to do with YOUR attitude, personality and work ethic, not what you wear or what you have. Bottom line.
abovedeck is offline   Reply With Quote