The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 September 2016, 12:01 AM   #1
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DRSD
My rolex gmt 16753 rootbeer

After the Tornek, this one immediately landed on my hands, a beautiful vintage Rolex GMT 16753 Rootbeer complete with the 2-tone jubilee bracelet, What made this watch a standout is the nicely faded bezel insert and a killer nipple dial that has changed from the original brown to a burgundy red color. The only flaw I can see are the new hands so I will take it to my watchmaker to have the lumes of the hands matched with the dial lumes. I changed the bracelet with a nice tan leather strap for better accent. This is a watch that is a real head turner.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
Erpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2016, 12:28 AM   #2
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Love it - the root beer on jubilee might be my favourite Rolex model ever. Congratulations, one day I hope to upgrade my 16710 to one.
Old 18 September 2016, 12:14 AM   #3
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post
Love it - the root beer on jubilee might be my favourite Rolex model ever. Congratulations, one day I hope to upgrade my 16710 to one.
Thanks Colin. Frankly, I am not a big fan of the Rolex root beer until I saw this one. I got blown away.
Old 18 September 2016, 12:29 AM   #4
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Big Congrats! Love the Root-beer. This is on the short list to add to my small collection. Yours has beautiful patina.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2016, 05:36 AM   #5
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16753; Bellini Dia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin10101 View Post

I'm still at the awkward stage where I have my grail watch, but don't know whether or not I should wear it! I still worry that a 16710 is better suited to my personality! Funny that.

I think most of my hesitation about my 16753, is that I don't like to wear yellow gold and the TT bracelet is just too flashy for me; I'm a steel watch kinda guy -- an engineer and a outdoorsy sort-- but that reddy/purple dial 16753 is the most beautiful Rolex I've ever seen. Truly enigmatic!

Here's mine:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
shedlock2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2016, 10:43 AM   #6
Erpin
"TRF" Member

I am also an all steel guy Steve that's why I replaced the tt bracelet with leather.
Old 18 September 2016, 11:00 AM   #7
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
I am also an all steel guy Steve that's why I replaced the tt bracelet with leather.

Yeah! I have a brown leather NATO at home that I tried on it, but the watch sits right up backseat of the straps underneath. I didn't like that, so I'm back to the jubilee.

I don't know if I will actually end up with a 16750 (I really like the lower fitting case back and I've now learned to love the acrylic crystal and fat-font bezel) -- either Pepsi or black. But I'm beginning to really love my root beer (I cherish the lume functionality -- and for some reason, my lume works really well; presumably it has been re-lumed, but there's no marks on the back of the dial to say where and when and the dial is original (rare-ish reddy/purple dial)).

SS Submariner no date 1992 (sold); SS GMT II 2007 (sold); SS GMT II C 2008 ('M' series) (sold); SS Sub C 2011 (sold); BB GMT 1971 (sold); Omega 50th GMT
Old 18 September 2016, 12:31 PM   #8
Erpin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedlock2000 View Post
Yeah! I have a brown leather NATO at home that I tried on it, but the watch sits right up backseat of the straps underneath. I didn't like that, so I'm back to the jubilee.

I don't know if I will actually end up with a 16750 (I really like the lower fitting case back and I've now learned to love the acrylic crystal and fat-font bezel) -- either Pepsi or black. But I'm beginning to really love my root beer (I cherish the lume functionality -- and for some reason, my lume works really well; presumably it has been re-lumed, but there's no marks on the back of the dial to say where and when and the dial is original (rare-ish reddy/purple dial)).

Try it with a leather strap so it will seat low on your wrist Steve. The burgundy dial like yours is a head turner.
Old 18 September 2016, 01:02 PM   #9
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Gorgeous watches gentlemen
Old 18 September 2016, 01:24 PM   #10
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erpin View Post
Try it with a leather strap so it will seat low on your wrist Steve. The burgundy dial like yours is a head turner.

Thanks for the compliment! Yeah, i sought the burgundy/purple dial expressly; my favourite colour is purple!

I've actually seen a non-NATO, NATO... here:which has the strap keepers, but not the straps underneath the case back.
Here's how mine sits (not my watch or photo, but how my root beer sits on my leather nato):
It sits very up high. So perhaps a tailor made band may work. I bet I could find a leather smith that could make the strap look like a NATO (keepers and all) but without the underneath parts.

I'll have a look around. I must confess, I really didn't like my watch on the NATO strap -- but I think that was because of the height issue.

Still feel like I should have bought this watch:Not my grail, but perhaps more me!?

Old 20 September 2016, 05:59 AM   #11
Bond77
"TRF" Member

Just buy a regular NATO and cut off the extra strap.
Bond77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2016, 07:12 AM   #12
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

What colour, Bond77?, do you think would go? I looked at a few yesterday, but couldn't find any browny ones. I actually saw a mint reddy/purple one, but after browsing yesterday I couldn't find anyone who made a Zulu or NATO in that colour.

I have been tying with this, though:

A root beer with SS oyster band!

Old 22 September 2016, 01:34 PM   #13
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
Quote:
I'm still at the awkward stage where I have my grail watch, but don't know whether or not I should wear it! I still worry that a 16710 is better suited to my personality! Funny that.

I think most of my hesitation about my 16753, is that I don't like to wear yellow gold and the TT bracelet is just too flashy for me; I'm a steel watch kinda guy -- an engineer and a outdoorsy sort-- but that reddy/purple dial 16753 is the most beautiful Rolex I've ever seen. Truly enigmatic!

Here's mine:

Love these photos! I am not sure about the two tone bracelet but I am willing to try.

playmore009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 02:12 PM   #14
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmore009 View Post
Love these photos! I am not sure about the two tone bracelet but I am willing to try.

What do you think of this, @playmore009; Root beer on stainless oyster?

Or this; root beer on stainless Jubilee:

Photos from @samcrow.ca (instagram)

Old 22 September 2016, 04:48 PM   #15
Gina Marie
"TRF" Member

Dammit....now i need one.
Gina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2016, 09:15 PM   #16
playmore009
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc, LVc
Quote:
What do you think of this, @playmore009; Root beer on stainless oyster?

Or this; root beer on stainless Jubilee:

Photos from @samcrow.ca (instagram)

They both look awesome! Sporty and dressy. I would love to get one.

playmore009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2016, 04:54 AM   #17
drefrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Interesting variations! Maybe it's the photo angle but the oyster bracelet version really accents the root beer look.
drefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2016, 09:55 AM   #18
rwATR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SXK007
Congratulations on a beautiful piece! The later strap really suits it.

I apologize for what may be a very novice question. I am new to this site (my first post actually). Is the rootbeer color the original color? Or perhaps has it discolored from it's original color like a magenta GMT started life as a Pepsi GMT? Thanks in advance for your help and once again, gorgeous piece!
rwATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 September 2016, 05:31 PM   #19
shedlock2000
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwATR View Post
I apologize for what may be a very novice question. I am new to this site (my first post actually). Is the rootbeer color the original color? Or perhaps has it discolored from it's original color like a magenta GMT started life as a Pepsi GMT? Thanks in advance for your help and once again, gorgeous piece!

No apologies necessary -- and welcome aboard!

No, the GMT Master models have been produced with the 'root beer' bezel for years; I think the first was in the late '60s. Of course, the GMT started out with the red and blue dial (known as Pepsi) and also (later) the black bezel. The two tone models reference 1675/3, then 16753, then 16713, and now 116713 are the two tone GMT models and up until the 116713 were produced with this two tone bronze/brown (or all brown, occasionally) bezel. The currently produced 116713LN is produced with a black bezel with gold numbers and a black dial. The root beer (1675/3, 16753, or 16713) is the only GMT with a brown or burgundy dial -- though some special iced dials were also made.

I'm no expert, though, so I've probably slipped up somewhere.

Old 28 September 2016, 12:10 AM   #20
sitka39
"TRF" Member

What beautiful watches... I have to ask. I don't get it. Are the hands on OP's watch not the original ones ? Are they service replacements or is it just the lume ?
sitka39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2016, 11:51 AM   #21
rwATR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SXK007
Quote:
No apologies necessary -- and welcome aboard!

No, the GMT Master models have been produced with the 'root beer' bezel for years; I think the first was in the late '60s. Of course, the GMT started out with the red and blue dial (known as Pepsi) and also (later) the black bezel. The two tone models reference 1675/3, then 16753, then 16713, and now 116713 are the two tone GMT models and up until the 116713 were produced with this two tone bronze/brown (or all brown, occasionally) bezel. The currently produced 116713LN is produced with a black bezel with gold numbers and a black dial. The root beer (1675/3, 16753, or 16713) is the only GMT with a brown or burgundy dial -- though some special iced dials were also made.

I'm no expert, though, so I've probably slipped up somewhere.

Thanks for the help!

rwATR is offline   Reply With Quote