The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2017, 02:00 AM   #31
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Great looking watch, they should have made this one a No Date and it would be a home run IMO. Pricing is also almost the same as a SS SkyD too.
Is it me or did Rolex throw a monkey wrench into the pricing across the Swiss industry with this one? it makes many other "Tool Watch" brands seem even more overpriced then they already are.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 02:15 AM   #32
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
It's beautiful but alas,,,,, just another vintage Rolex knock-off.
Old 25 March 2017, 02:46 AM   #33
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Yeah Bas this one really does it for me in photos. Let's hope it's equally cool in real life. Order is placed, now the waiting game begins
I'm sure it is, I was impressed by their quality when I handled the bathyscape and regular FF.
Looking forward to your pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorollin View Post
No it isn't.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 04:39 AM   #34
slorollin
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer pints & quarts
"Quote:

"No it isn't."

C'mon, a little humor folks......
Old 25 March 2017, 05:30 AM   #35
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
Great looking watch, they should have made this one a No Date and it would be a home run IMO. Pricing is also almost the same as a SS SkyD too.
Is it me or did Rolex throw a monkey wrench into the pricing across the Swiss industry with this one? it makes many other "Tool Watch" brands seem even more overpriced then they already are.
Agree no date would have been better. As you know, no watch ticks all the boxes so I'm okay with it seeing as it blends well with the dial. But I confess I typically flame 4:30 dates

I really think Rolex went way lower than I would have on the SS skydweller. I thought an SS skydweller would be around 20k. Surely they have data and reasoning.

While the price is somewhat high on the FF, I was able to secure it for well below RRP.

Quote:
I assume you're being sarcastic and know the history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'm sure it is, I was impressed by their quality when I handled the bathyscape and regular FF.
Looking forward to your pictures

No it isn't.
Yes, me too! I really wanted to like the bathyscaphe chrono that came out, which has the awesome new movement and chrono pushers that can be used underwater, but alas the fit wasn't for me.

Unfortunately won't have this beauty for a few months but I am suppose to get first allocation. Second order came in right after so apparently there's some people who want a smaller FF like me
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 05:32 AM   #36
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

What is the functional purpose of a moisture indicator?

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 05:35 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
What is the functional purpose of a moisture indicator?
The idea is that if you're a diver and your seals are beginning to fail on the watch, you will know and get it service before your next dive. It was designed in an era before he high tech gaskets we have today and ultimately became a requirement by both the French and US navy for the mil spec watches.

Think of it as the canary in the coal mine!
Old 25 March 2017, 05:38 AM   #38
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The idea is that if you're a diver and your seals are beginning to fail on the watch, you will know and get it service before your next dive. It was designed in an era before he high tech gaskets we have today and ultimately became a requirement by both the French and US navy for the mil spec watches.

Think of it as the canary in the coal mine!
Thanks - appreciate it.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 08:07 AM   #39
Grahamcombat
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hahaha! Hahahaha haha. Aw that's funny. Too funny. I guess the winner does write the history even when it's wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Grahamcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 09:10 AM   #40
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

The Fifty Fathoms limited editions (of 500) haven't done very well. The previous models (Tribute to Aqualung/FF) all the way from 2013 are still available so I wonder how this edition will sell out, taking into consideration how Blancpain likes to almost repeat themselves in subsequent Baselworlds.

That being said I really like this iteration and would personally purchase it albeit with no real urgency yet and being careful with the price.
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 10:56 AM   #41
Grahamcombat
"TRF" Member

I've had the TTAL and the Fifty Fathoms is my daily wearer so I'm a fan of what Blancpain creates in their diver lines. If this wears bigger than its size I'm a buyer. Their tendency to reintroduce copies of their work as Dora points out gives me a little hesitation. I'd hate to buy at 40 this year as they introduce a 42 or larger next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Grahamcombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 11:15 AM   #42
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
The Fifty Fathoms limited editions (of 500) haven't done very well. The previous models (Tribute to Aqualung/FF) all the way from 2013 are still available so I wonder how this edition will sell out, taking into consideration how Blancpain likes to almost repeat themselves in subsequent Baselworlds.

That being said I really like this iteration and would personally purchase it albeit with no real urgency yet and being careful with the price.

I don't have any illusions of grandeur here. As far as resale, this is a BP end of story. I'm buying it because I think it's a sick watch.

I've been playing it safe lately and it's getting boring. Rolex didn't really deliver for me and BP did. I'll give them my money this time.

I found one for just under 10k.
Old 25 March 2017, 12:44 PM   #43
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

I've always wanted to like the FF watches, respecting the history and liking the old ones but in reality they have never worked for me having tried them on several times and having been almost begged to buy them by boutique salespeople who clearly struggle to sell them! I don't think that this iteration will do anything to inspire me, a $15k watch with a silly looking orange and white dot on the dial that may be meant to pay homage to a past design but is really irrelevant on a modern dress diver. Imagine if the dot actually started showing moisture ingress! Anyway, enough venting my opinion on all the very predictable nostalgia at Basel, as always YMMV
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 01:34 PM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I've always wanted to like the FF watches, respecting the history and liking the old ones but in reality they have never worked for me having tried them on several times and having been almost begged to buy them by boutique salespeople who clearly struggle to sell them! I don't think that this iteration will do anything to inspire me, a $15k watch with a silly looking orange and white dot on the dial that may be meant to pay homage to a past design but is really irrelevant on a modern dress diver. Imagine if the dot actually started showing moisture ingress! Anyway, enough venting my opinion on all the very predictable nostalgia at Basel, as always YMMV
Let me ask you this...What would have been a home run for you at Basel this year?
Old 25 March 2017, 02:56 PM   #45
ELITEVIDEOGAMES
"TRF" Member

Watch: me sell games
Congrats on securing an order and at a great price. I agree with your comment about playing it safe all the time gets a little boring. If you see a watch that knocks your socks off go for it you only live once. I look forward to the wrist shot and hopefully a mini review.
ELITEVIDEOGAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 03:08 PM   #46
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELITEVIDEOGAMES View Post
Congrats on securing an order and at a great price. I agree with your comment about playing it safe all the time gets a little boring. If you see a watch that knocks your socks off go for it you only live once. I look forward to the wrist shot and hopefully a mini review.
Thanks Tom

Will definitely post my thoughts with some gratuitous pics when it lands
Old 25 March 2017, 03:32 PM   #47
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats!!! Lovely model, and small enough for us small wristed peeps. If I did not already have this 50th anniversary 40mm model, I'd be all over it . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8023.jpg (82.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8448.jpg (81.6 KB, 182 views)
Old 25 March 2017, 06:32 PM   #48
themaninblack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me ask you this...What would have been a home run for you at Basel this year?
I'm not sure that I have an answer for you but when manufacturers are actually doing nothing new other than trading off the currently in-vogue nostalgic elements of their history then that's more of a strike-out than a home run to match the metaphor. Blancpain have been trying to flog this horse for some years now IMO, mind you they are not the only ones.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 09:20 PM   #49
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfatm3f View Post
I don't disagree.. but at a 20% discount (will they even be doing that for the "limited" mil spec?) is it worth 2x what I paid for my 114060?
yes...and than some

again. blancpain is next level.
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 09:27 PM   #50
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure that I have an answer for you but when manufacturers are actually doing nothing new other than trading off the currently in-vogue nostalgic elements of their history then that's more of a strike-out than a home run to match the metaphor. Blancpain have been trying to flog this horse for some years now IMO, mind you they are not the only ones.
i somewhat agree with you....watches are fast becoming like hollywood.....hollywood is always doing remakes rather than creating new classics......seems the watch industry does this as well....i dont mind it but it would be nice to actually see manufacturers create new models that become classics 30 years from now rather than always rehashing the past....

speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 09:30 PM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I hear your argument and it's a common one across the forums. That said, I appreciate the history and have always wanted a FF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
Congrats!!! Lovely model, and small enough for us small wristed peeps. If I did not already have this 50th anniversary 40mm model, I'd be all over it . . .

Thanks! That's the one I couldn't track down! Glad to hear you are happy with it.
Old 26 March 2017, 12:59 AM   #52
50hz
"TRF" Member

Congrats GB-man on the purchase, I think you got the best diver of the show so far. Yes this model isn't perfect but I find more to like on it than not. Take some pics when you get it.
50hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:02 AM   #53
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I found one for just under 10k.
Congrats, that's a nutty price right off the bat. When will you be receiving it?
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:48 AM   #54
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50hz View Post
Congrats GB-man on the purchase, I think you got the best diver of the show so far. Yes this model isn't perfect but I find more to like on it than not. Take some pics when you get it.
Thank you. Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
Congrats, that's a nutty price right off the bat. When will you be receiving it?
Estimates are June/July but I'm hoping for sooner
Old 26 March 2017, 03:21 AM   #55
drhr
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thanks! That's the one I couldn't track down! Glad to hear you are happy with it.

You are quite welcome. You're not the only one who is eagerly awaiting the Milspec btw, I know of a couple others who have already put in requests/orders with their AD's.

I hope that the watch brings you all that you are hoping for.

I continue to wait for a smaller sized FF (not the Bathys) with the blue flinque dial . . if/when, that may be the one that gets me to satiation in my watch accumulation . . .
Old 26 March 2017, 03:36 AM   #56
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhr View Post
You are quite welcome. You're not the only one who is eagerly awaiting the Milspec btw, I know of a couple others who have already put in requests/orders with their AD's.

I hope that the watch brings you all that you are hoping for.

I continue to wait for a smaller sized FF (not the Bathys) with the blue flinque dial . . if/when, that may be the one that gets me to satiation in my watch accumulation . . .

Yeah that blue dial is gorgeous in the light. Hope they make one for you next year
Old 26 March 2017, 04:48 AM   #57
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Tom, you got me thinking about my FF. Wearing it today. I am very much looking forward to your pics when it arrives. I am sure the wait will be torture.

I am a huge fan of the Fifty Fathoms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2017, 05:50 AM   #58
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incontrol View Post
Tom, you got me thinking about my FF. Wearing it today. I am very much looking forward to your pics when it arrives. I am sure the wait will be torture.

I am a huge fan of the Fifty Fathoms.

Oooh you have the gold!

Yeah I'm trying not to think about it but It isn't working haha
Old 26 March 2017, 09:52 AM   #59
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

In as well for similar reasons. Quality manufacturer with most divers too large for me. Agree, finishing a cut above Rolex. Long PR, sweet backside view. Love, love, love the lumed sapphire bezel. Wonder who gets theirs first hopefully we tie and it's sooner rather than later.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 10:12 AM   #60
orangeguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I've always liked the look of the fifty fathoms but found them to be too large for me...this solves that problem

X2

I just put down a deposit for one on a bracelet. As you might guess from my username, I dig the orange.

orangeguy is offline   Reply With Quote