The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 April 2017, 08:06 PM   #31
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I have bought three Rolex watches, one new two preowned and I have full paperwork, boxes etc for all, I'm glad I've got them, but got real good deals on the preowned, they would not have been a deal breaker, the boxes are all at the back of a cupboard somewhere.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 08:45 PM   #32
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
For me it's a deal breaker. Others do not mind.
Old 30 April 2017, 08:56 PM   #33
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave View Post
How Important Are Box And Papers if you trust the seller (and they offer a
refund)?

I can understand if you want to sell it, but let's say it is a keeper, and it was roughly $1K cheaper?
You can send the watch to RSC for a service, which will be returned with documentation noting model, serial number and service date; there are your "papers".

Box and manuals are easy enough to source.

If it is a "keeper", only second to your trust in the seller is the condition of the watch.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 April 2017, 09:02 PM   #34
Hotrod297
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
For me, if it's a Keeper, B&P does not matter. But like a lot of guys said, trust the seller on NO Papers.
Old 1 May 2017, 10:43 AM   #35
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
You are going to want those papers if your Rolex is ever stolen.

It went from "Yea, yea you're $20,000 White Gold" Rolex was stolen." "Yea right ok." (Them eyes rolling) with the police to me coming down later with the papers sliding them on to the desk of the officer who was half ass helping me, with me really wanting to say "Look you MF-er!" "Now do your job." I bit my toungue. Kinda.

Then the whole drama with the pawn shop. Them eye rolling when I said "I'm the lawful owner of that watch." Then bam busting out the guarantee with serial number on it.

They immediately stopped polishing my watch and got on the phone to the police and scolded them ugly for not going out already and arresting the suspect who pawned my watch and who they gave $17,000 to.

Forget for a moment resale.

Yea, papers are good to have.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 10:52 AM   #36
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
You are going to want those papers if your Rolex is ever stolen.

It went from "Yea, yea you're $20,000 White Gold" Rolex was stolen." "Yea right ok." (Them eyes rolling) with the police to me coming down later with the papers sliding them on to the desk of the officer who was half ass helping me, with me really wanting to say "Look you MF-er!" "Now do your job." I bit my toungue. Kinda.

Then the whole drama with the pawn shop. Them eye rolling when I said "I'm the lawful owner of that watch." Then bam busting out the guarantee with serial number on it.

They immediately stopped polishing my watch and got on the phone to the police and scolded them ugly for not going out already and arresting the suspect who pawned my watch and who they gave $17,000 to.

Forget for a moment resale.

Yea, papers are good to have.
B&P's aren't a bill of sale. The BOS says you own the watch. The B&P's are just part of the collectable on a used watch (unless under warranty, then you need the card). B&P may actually hurt in your example if someone else's name is on them.

If a value must be assigned, I think the papers are worth exactly what a service at an RSC costs, where you'll be provided papers with the return of your watch.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #37
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
i would think that having a photo of the watch, including a macro photo ahowing the serial # engraving, would also sufficiently support proof of ownership in recovery of stolen goods.
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:13 AM   #38
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I like all of my watches "complete", enhances future resale value, in case.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 12:04 PM   #39
Speed
"TRF" Member

Oh boy...

Having B&P will only help / not hurt. Period. The end.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 12:14 PM   #40
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
B&P's aren't a bill of sale. The BOS says you own the watch. The B&P's are just part of the collectable on a used watch (unless under warranty, then you need the card). B&P may actually hurt in your example if someone else's name is on them.

If a value must be assigned, I think the papers are worth exactly what a service at an RSC costs, where you'll be provided papers with the return of your watch.
Ok. You're missing the point. We are talking about some bad guys that stole my watch then pawned my watch and some cops that were swamped with work and finally some pawn shop folks that were out ¥ 1,750,000.

We can agree that the papers are not a bill of sale. I bought the watch from DavidSW. I offered to contact David and have him send me a receipt. They said finally after seeing the papers "We believe you." Phew. Without those papers with the serial number on them I was sunk. They of course could have said this proves nothing, you could be in cahouts with the thief. A reasonable common sensical person looking at the totality of it all is going to understand that I am the owner and there is no way I am making this up or know the bad guys.

Trust me. Having the box, tags and papers were a game changer with the police and the pawn shop. It literally stopped them dead in their tracks from blowing me off and hoping I would go away. Retired big city street cop here and I saw officers and detectives on a daily basis doing whatever they could to find some loophole/ rationale to get a complainant to go away. Lessens their already overwhelming (probably never get around to it/no follow up caseload.) I even still had the Fedex box.

Not to mention the pawn shop's "Oops!" "We bought a hot watch." realization.

Oh and yea, the papers were not in my name. I bought it used. But just the fact that I brought all that in and pics of my watch made them finally punch in the serial number into their pawn shop database revealing that a convicted felon had pawned my watch using his own ID, thumbprint and being recorded the whole time.

Bam.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0497.JPG (157.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.JPG (61.2 KB, 281 views)
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 12:32 PM   #41
Speed
"TRF" Member

Yeah Tom!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 12:57 PM   #42
bobby81
"TRF" Member

It might sound strange but when I'm buying a Rolex it must have everything including Factory stickers I keep everything. The protective sleeve off my Sub got destroyed by liquid so I went on eBay & bought an identical one right down to the numbers on the side but then all my kids say I have OCD & to be honest I have I'm very particular I must have everything complete
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #43
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

How do service papers from RSC play into this? We know they only work on authentic and non stolen watches. If you have RSC papers in your name and serial number of watch is this equivalent to the original papers? Thanks.
Old 19 June 2017, 12:29 AM   #44
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
If I buy from David SW then b&p isn't as important.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 12:32 AM   #45
socialpro
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex || Panerai
I try and buy complete - as if for no other reason as I see those sets sell much 'quicker' many times (may be my own personal experience) -- then ones missing certain elements.
socialpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 01:11 AM   #46
Ad11wrd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakerhodes View Post
If you are going to wear the watch and never sell it , who cares if it has box and papers ? You can't wear the papers , if the watch is legit and you trust the seller I think you are fine.
Spot on, down to the individual.
Ad11wrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 01:18 AM   #47
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socialpro View Post
I try and buy complete - as if for no other reason as I see those sets sell much 'quicker' many times (may be my own personal experience) -- then ones missing certain elements.
^^^This is the answer.

As has been stated, many will not even consider buying without B/P. Trying to resell will immediately limit your pool of potential buyers, regardless of price.

Second, for those who say it doesn't matter as long as you buy from DavidW, etc
because you're "buying the seller", remember that when you go to resell yourself later without the B/P you're now the seller and probably won't have the benefit of the same credibility.
Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 01:34 AM   #48
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Mandatory for me, without I don't buy. Just me, like many others
Old 19 June 2017, 01:42 AM   #49
cataby
"TRF" Member

Watch: sea dweller
I like money.

I like to invest money in things that make me even more money.

To me, they are a complete waste of said money.

But I don't resell my watches anymore.

IF, and only IF, it is a very collectible watch then I can see it.

But. If it is a run of the mill, made by the 100,000's everyday current watch, you are basically throwing money away. The extra you pay for those extra pieces of paper will never retain enough resell value to offset what you could make had you invested the price difference wisely.

But. Some people have enough cash they can throw thousands of dollars away and not even blink.

Sadly, I am not one of those people. And honestly, no matter how much I make, will never be one of those people. Not how I was raised. My mother, who is a multi multi millionaire still will not spend the extra money to buy her own icecream cone, she always "splits one" with her husband. Just the way she was raised/grew up and I kinda follow that also, but not to her extent.

If having the papers sitting in a closet or attic somewhere make you happy then by all means.
cataby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:22 AM   #50
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
If people just knew how easy and cheap it is to fake cards and papers, they would credit them to the value of toilet paper.

Also I have seen thousands of them in a warehouse and that must only be 0.00000000000000000000001% of a weeks supply.

Regards

Mick
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:39 AM   #51
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataby View Post
I like money.

I like to invest money in things that make me even more money.

To me, they are a complete waste of said money.

But I don't resell my watches anymore.

IF, and only IF, it is a very collectible watch then I can see it.

But. If it is a run of the mill, made by the 100,000's everyday current watch, you are basically throwing money away. The extra you pay for those extra pieces of paper will never retain enough resell value to offset what you could make had you invested the price difference wisely.

But. Some people have enough cash they can throw thousands of dollars away and not even blink.

Sadly, I am not one of those people. And honestly, no matter how much I make, will never be one of those people. Not how I was raised. My mother, who is a multi multi millionaire still will not spend the extra money to buy her own icecream cone, she always "splits one" with her husband. Just the way she was raised/grew up and I kinda follow that also, but not to her extent.

If having the papers sitting in a closet or attic somewhere make you happy then by all means.
^^^ Forget the box and papers, by this logic why buy a Rolex?

Tony64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:44 AM   #52
mfnj
2024 Pledge Member

My preference would be to have box and papers but I would purchase without them under the right circumstances. The absence of boxes and papers could be tricky in a sale but there is a middle ground. Have the watch serviced by Rolex and get it returned with a 2 year warranty identifying the watch and the serial number! Just make sure the savings from purchasing the watch without boxes/papers exceeds the Rolex service and you are ahead of the game!
mfnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 04:41 AM   #53
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Personally I always did........until my 'new' 46 year old 1675 where they would be worthless. Instead I went to RSC and now have papers that are actually worth something. The boxes and bits I could buy and unfortunately that's how most of these so-called full sets come together. Just my opinion, obviously.
Old 19 June 2017, 05:43 AM   #54
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Box and papers are a must for me, unless on a vintage piece when I consider them a bonus not a neccesity. If it was a dream watch at the right price I'm sure I'd bend from that thought though.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 05:49 AM   #55
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
I wouldn't buy a watch without them.
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 06:08 AM   #56
SurewoodMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC Port Perpetua
Just bought a pre-owned PP Aquanaut from an AD. Just serviced by PP and LNIB w/ 1 yr manufacturer warranty. Just no warranty card or papers. New PP presentation box was included. Saved $ and am wondering if any of the "papers" are of need. Plan to keep this one for years to come.
SurewoodMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 07:31 AM   #57
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRolexKingofLV View Post
I only buy watches that are complete with box and papers as well as ALL accessories... that's just me though.
this
ny_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 09:48 AM   #58
bobby81
"TRF" Member

I think it's good to have a full set. I buy new from the Grey Market & my Watches have the protective Factory seals intact & come with all accessories. I wouldn't have it any other way & yes if I'm paying the equivalent of $1,000 for having that satisfaction so be it it's my money. But I can also see the argument for saving $1,000 but I'm OCD & must have everything perfect
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 10:00 AM   #59
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Just watch the YouTube video of the old man who bought a GMT brand new in 1960 and kept the box, receipt and all accessories. His watch was valued at 60-75k.
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 10:13 AM   #60
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
If you need a pawn shop to get money from your Rolex, you shouldn't buy a Rolex anyway.

I know this kicks a lot of people against the legs, but Rolex's aren't made to get pawned.

But that's my opinion about it.
Yzord is offline   Reply With Quote