The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 1 May 2017, 06:34 PM   #1
deansot53
"TRF" Member

Daytona entry level steel purchase?

I've tried to purchase a Daytona steel Rolex from a local retailer. They have 100 on the waiting list and have closed any more potential buyers due to the short Nature of obtaining days. Please can the forum advise where to obtain one of these and is it so difficult any advice would be much appreciated.
deansot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
They are easily available at nearly double reatail. Whats the problem...??

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 06:49 PM   #3
never ready
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona ER
If you want to play the waiting game just set aside an hour, go on to the Rolex website and start phoning AD's in your area and keep moving further afield until you find one that will put you on a list and in a time frame that is acceptable to you.
That's what I done, found an AD 100 miles from me with a list about 18 months long, that was 12 months ago, not long now...... I hope
never ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
If you're prepared to pay a premium you'll get one. If you want one at UK list price I'd say you've got little to no chance sadly.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 07:04 PM   #5
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

Don't think that's strictly true Nairn. It may take 2-3 years, but it'll happen
thewolfofmiddlesex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfofmiddlesex View Post
Don't think that's strictly true Nairn. It may take 2-3 years, but it'll happen
Sorry, yes of course if he's prepared to wait several years.

I read the post as if he wants one "soon".

To clarify, if you're prepared to wait several years yes you will likely get one at list price (whatever list price is when yours arrives). You need to get on as many "lists" as possible and be patient.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 07:27 PM   #7
milgauss2232
"TRF" Member

Watch: the watchmen
Is it still so difficult to find at this day and age? How about the wait for BLNR?
milgauss2232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:07 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansot53 View Post
I've tried to purchase a Daytona steel Rolex from a local retailer. They have 100 on the waiting list and have closed any more potential buyers due to the short Nature of obtaining days. Please can the forum advise where to obtain one of these and is it so difficult any advice would be much appreciated.
Well IMHO you can blame those who buy then flip to the grey for profit where there are hundreds of Daytona C for sale.And until those willing to pay these crazy prices for in the real world a 17 year old model with a ceramic insert and slightly different dials the lists will get longer.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:18 PM   #9
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
AD's dont offer shortcuts as demand for this piece is real. Within Swiss AD's some stops taking names after 18month supply is sold. But majority who takes names on the list without limitations, the average waiting time is about 5 years.

I know it does not make any sense any more. Rolex cant just do them more as inflation to the brand would be evident. With SS Sky-Dweller they made their strategy better: blue Sky-Dweller has already waiting lists of 2-3 years - but there are other options with different nice dials to divide the demand. So they have the hype with Blue Sky-Dweller that keeps people (like myself) drooling. But instead of waiting list of 5 years, there is a waiting list of 1-2 years and they triple the sales. Clever moves by Rolex.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 08:31 PM   #10
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
You pay a premium and either go grey or buy a list opening piece, what I mean by that is a couple of AD's did offer me a sweetner of a Daytona at retail if I purchased a WG DD at retail.

Which ever way unless you know someone the only two options are sit tight and wait it out or stump up some extra and do one of the above.

Shouldn't be that way but it's the current situation.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 09:22 PM   #11
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Based on the waiting list length and the general price rises Rolex go through you might as well pay double retail now, because in 15.4 years when you come off the waiting list that will be the retail price anyway!
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 09:46 PM   #12
roviw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How long ago did you feel that you wanted a Daytona ? ,I noticed you have been a forum member for a year now.
I first decided maybe 10 years ago that one day I would like a Daytona, in that length of time I think it has really been common knowledge that the SS Daytona commanded several years waiting if you wanted new at retail price.

I eventually bought a 2 year old example (pre-ceramic ) a couple of years ago and still paid the same as the current retail price then, I was happy with that as since then they are now commanding more due to the release of the Ceramic version.

Best of luck and follow other people's advise to try to get on any list available or pay the premium grey prices.
16700 GMT Master Pepsi Bezel
roviw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 09:51 PM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Have you checked the sales forum here?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 10:09 PM   #14
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Get it where you can. As much as people paid (RRP or greater), I doubt you'll find many in the future willing to release theirs for less than RRP. I would never pay more than retail.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 10:51 PM   #15
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well IMHO you can blame those who buy then flip to the grey for profit where there are hundreds of Daytona C for sale.And until those willing to pay these crazy prices for in the real world a 17 year old model with a ceramic insert and slightly different dials the lists will get longer.
Yeah why would anyone want that thing anyway!!! I knew we could count on Padi to chime in!!!
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:36 PM   #16
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
the daytona-c is the 'greatest trick the devil ever pulled'
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:43 PM   #17
deansot53
"TRF" Member

Thanks forum, I have a Black dial Milgauss 116400 and this has been withdrawn so fancied a Daytona stainless steel as a new purchase. I liked the look although didn't realise it was so sought after and difficult to purchase!
deansot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:44 PM   #18
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
If you didn't have the wherewithal to put yourself on the waiting list when the watch was introduced, then your choice is simple...

U can have one in 48 hours shipped to your house. No AD. NO BS waiting list. No ridiculous mystical properties speech by the salesman... will cost you a few extra bucks to start wearing yours this week.

Or you can do a global hunt for the holy grail to save some cash... the ADs are not likely to suddenly have them available as the last time they did was Newmans own manual wind version. This choice will likely take years, possibly decades.
Old 1 May 2017, 11:45 PM   #19
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Yes, it's quite ridiculous the price differential that is between an excellent condition 116520 and and excellent condition 116500. You could save about $4k with the 116520 right now, and it is really the same watch and isn't any more different than a WG polished bezel vs WG Ceramic. RG Ceramic has been around for years as well. I have a feeling most who drool over the 116500, but have no interest in the 116520, have not seen both in person side by side, because the difference is very marginal.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2017, 11:51 PM   #20
904VT
"TRF" Member

I should add that in theory the SS Daytona is the entry level model, but in practice (and probably Rolex perspective), it is more of a flagship along with the Platinum Daytona. The SS Daytona is "THE" original Daytona and gives a great value at MSRP for the in-house, column wheel chronograph calibre 4130

Think Patek Nautilus as well
Old 1 May 2017, 11:55 PM   #21
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Yes, it's quite ridiculous the price differential that is between an excellent condition 116520 and and excellent condition 116500. You could save about $4k with the 116520 right now, and it is really the same watch and isn't any more different than a WG polished bezel vs WG Ceramic. RG Ceramic has been around for years as well. I have a feeling most who drool over the 116500, but have no interest in the 116520, have not seen both in person side by side, because the difference is very marginal.

I've had the 116520 in both dials and sold them.
The 116500 w ceramic bezel is a significant difference to me...I received a black dial 116500 1st of march and it hasn't come off...and there is not a single mark on the bezel.

Ps there are also significant (imho) details changed on each dial option compared to the previous version.
Old 2 May 2017, 12:11 AM   #22
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
I've had the 116520 in both dials and sold them.
The 116500 w ceramic bezel is a significant difference to me...I received a black dial 116500 1st of march and it hasn't come off...and there is not a single mark on the bezel.

Ps there are also significant (imho) details changed on each dial option compared to the previous version.
Agree with you dials certainly look different and a no scratch bezel is always a perk

If there was a movement upgrade, I would be much more willing to pay a premium over the 116520 though, just my perspective and don't get me wrong the 116500 is a beautiful beautiful time piece
Old 2 May 2017, 12:37 AM   #23
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:

There's no reason you shouldn't have one on your wrist tomorrow.

I was AD waitlisted and after a year got fed up, decided to take immediate action. If you do the math, the delta between list price plus tax and going grey market with prices recently dropping is only $3,500 USD. In my case, that was the cost of a Datejust I rarely wore, maybe five times a year, decided it was well worth losing that watch to gain my grail.

24 hours later, I had this on my wrist. Check out the grey market pricing, there's no reason for anyone to be waitlisted anymore. $3,500 is real money, no doubt, but if you have a drawer full of watches you never wear you'll be surprised how easy it is to say goodbye to one or two to get a watch you really want.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 12:41 AM   #24
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Apart from the color of the rings on the Sub Dials, what other Dial changes were made?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 12:46 AM   #25
subtona
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Apart from the color of the rings on the Sub Dials, what other Dial changes were made?
Only the subdial changes, my plural was addressing the combination of changes to both black and white. Can see where confusing. .

The white is obvious with the black subdial rings.

The black is not as obvious but addressed half the reason I had sold my 116620 in a week. The rings went from a ~iridescent to ~gray. The other half of the reason was the polished bezel, now ceramic which makes all the difference imho

Old 2 May 2017, 12:48 AM   #26
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
the daytona-c is the 'greatest trick the devil ever pulled'
Ain't that the truth
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 12:55 AM   #27
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Only the subdial changes, my plural was addressing the combination of changes to both black and white. Can see where confusing. .

The black is not as obvious but addressed the reason I had sold my 116620 in a week. The rings went from a ~iridescent to ~gray.

Those gray sub-dial rings look great with the new bezel's platinum

Still on the waiting list for my black dial 116500 to add to my white dial 116520!
Old 2 May 2017, 12:56 AM   #28
xIZeitgeistIx
"TRF" Member

Watch: DaytonaC & Sub
I have spoken with two Swiss ADs and they mentioned that the waiting lists are getting even longer. I assume that they will release the next version, before each customer has received his DaytonaC.
That being said, IMHO I think this hype is out of control. It is definitely a nice watch, but not worth a few thousand premium or waiting for years...
xIZeitgeistIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 01:07 AM   #29
schnitzerphilip
Banned

Watch: Daytona C 116500LN
Quote:

The black is not as obvious but addressed the reason I had sold my 116620 in a week. The rings went from a ~iridescent to ~gray.

https://youtu.be/a0hzNvh6TsY

Excellent video showing the differences between the old and new Daytona above.

The bezel changes everything about this timepiece. Where I never wanted a Daytona I now can't live without it. Far more wrist presence and less bling, feels more vintage and connected, especially the black.
schnitzerphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2017, 01:11 AM   #30
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Lol, premium or bust
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote