The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 May 2017, 01:08 PM   #1
Onx
"TRF" Member

Is the new SS SkyD worth it?

Hi I'm Josh.

Been thinking about the new SS SkyD ever since they launched it earlier this year. In picture I really prefer the black dialed SS Skydweller. They never really have it in stock in the local AD here so I would have to order them without trying. I'd like to ask some opinions from you guys who might have seen them in the metal if it is worth it and if it would suit me. A little background I currently own a 116610LV, 116622 blue, 16710 Coke, Speedmaster FOiS and a Seiko Sarb033.

Budget is a bit tight so getting the SkyD would mean trading two rolexes since I think The Omega is a keeper and the Seiko isnt worth much if any. Also my wrist is on the smaller side 6,25" and I dont know how the SkyD would fit. What do you guys think? A go or no go? And if yes which two should be cut?

Thanks a bunch. Nice comments are welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4025.jpg (130.0 KB, 589 views)
Onx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 01:12 PM   #2
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

I haven't seen the SS SD in the flesh. If you're looking at trading, I'd let everything go EXCEPT the GMT and Hulk.
Old 12 May 2017, 01:13 PM   #3
Carrera997
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
I haven't seen the SS SD in the flesh. If you're looking at trading, I'd let everything go EXCEPT the GMT and Hulk.

Exactly!
Carrera997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 01:14 PM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
SkDs are rather large thick watches. I have a 6.5" wrist.

kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:08 PM   #5
kauffee
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN, 116500LN
GMT has to stay as it's the only one that can't be easily replaced. Personally, I'd keep the LVc too. I've never been a huge YM fan... the platinum bezel never did it for me. Although that blue dial on yours is really nice.

For me, FOiS is just another "limited" edition Speedmaster with a nice box. And I don't like the sapphire crystals on Speedys. Hesalite or go home. They're not selling for any more than a classic Speedy anyway, so no point in holding on to it unless you're really attached. The YM and the Speedy should get you close to the SkyD, and both are easy to replace if you decide to in the future.
kauffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Onx
"TRF" Member

With the price of the new skyD I would have to sell two Rolexes as the Speedy doesnt worth that much. I bought it new less than $4k.

Looking at the picture posted it looks quite thick and heavy on the wrist. Would you say it wears larger than DJII? Because that didnt fit me.
Old 12 May 2017, 02:13 PM   #7
LuminousMaximus
"TRF" Member

Watch: me hit Huge Lotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post

That's got some heft baby! Yeah...!

To really lives means to live your life to the fullest. It means to chase your dreams, take risks, and to love life.
Since everyone’s fate is the same, why not live the best life that you possibly can? In order to really live,you must seize the day.
Live each day as if it's your last and overall just do it! Today is a gift, that’s why it’s called the present...
LuminousMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:14 PM   #8
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I would definitely try with that small of a wrist, it is not a small watch and also wears large because of the dial and fluted bezel. I just tried it on and I have a 6.375 to 6.5 inch wrist and I think it's barely passable.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:17 PM   #9
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Not in my opinion. I'd rather wear the SARB.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:17 PM   #10
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:

So does yours not get wrist time because of the size and weight? When I tried on the PM versions they were at the top edge of what I consider acceptable for my 6.5 in wrist. I chose to get one.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:20 PM   #11
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Still waiting to see the ss ones. Have a pm one and wear it on my puny 6" wrist. It is a big watch no doubt, but since it is fitted properly, it is the most comfortable watch I've ever owned.

Also it is not a pure sports watch, somewhat sport+ dress crossover,

diracpoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:21 PM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by diracpoint View Post
Still waiting to see the ss ones. Have a pm one and wear it on my puny 6" wrist. It is a big watch no doubt, but since it is fitted properly, it is the most comfortable watch I've ever owned.

Good to hear!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 02:35 PM   #13
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
Definitely wears larger than a DJII (41mm vs 42mm) and is considerably thicker than a DJII. Find an AD with a PM version and try it on. The SKY DWELLER is a chunky watch and I think might be a bit top heavy on a 6.25" wrist. I'm not a size policeman whatsoever, but I think your wrist size accommodates a max 40mm Rolex. Panerai's, Big Pilot's etc. can be worn on smaller wrists without crossing the horological fashion boundary, but not the crown. My humble opinion. Happy hunting!
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:13 PM   #14
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Quote:

I dont see wristsize that much of an issue. Like you said, an well fitted watch is supercomfortable. I am a Rolex newbie, so is the locking system ok in Sky-Dweller, no unintended opening or so?

I have well fitted Deepsea and it feels good, a big watch which would be terrible when hanging loose on my wrist. Explorer II is well balanced and comfortable.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
For wrist size 6.25, I wouldn't do it no matter what everyone says. If you have to trade in your current watches then I suggest to forget SkyD, its not worth it.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:24 PM   #16
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
I dont see wristsize that much of an issue. Like you said, an well fitted watch is supercomfortable. I am a Rolex newbie, so is the locking system ok in Sky-Dweller, no unintended opening or so?

I have well fitted Deepsea and it feels good, a big watch which would be terrible when hanging loose in my wrist. Explorer II is well balanced and comfortable.
You mean crown orientation? Still lines up, but may not remain like that long-term due to thread wear,
Old 12 May 2017, 03:30 PM   #17
jazznpool
"TRF" Member

I think the SS Sky D is a very attractive watch. It's a dressy sports watch with complications I like. I won't be contemplating a purchase because it is too large for me. I don't blame anyone for being excited or wanting to buy one though.
jazznpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:31 PM   #18
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Just tried on the SS SkyD in all dial colors. Amazing watch for the price. Fits perfect on my wrist (7 1/2 inches) and isn't as top heavy as the all gold version due to being lighter and the larger 22mm bracelet. Now have to decide which dial color. Was thinking black, but not sure now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3889.jpg (95.6 KB, 430 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3893.jpg (87.6 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3897.jpg (88.5 KB, 424 views)
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:35 PM   #19
-Ally-
"TRF" Member

Frankly it will look ridiculous on your wrist and you'd be trading nicer watches to get it. I vote stick.
-Ally- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 03:44 PM   #20
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You mean crown orientation? Still lines up, but may not remain like that long-term due to thread wear,
Sorry for my unprecise comment. No, i mean locking system in bracelet because it has no safelock like in Deepsea and Explorer II which i have got used to.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
Old 12 May 2017, 03:50 PM   #21
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Just tried on the SS SkyD in all dial colors. Amazing watch for the price. Fits perfect on my wrist (7 1/2 inches) and isn't as top heavy as the all gold version due to being lighter and the larger 22mm bracelet. Now have to decide which dial color. Was thinking black, but not sure now.
It looks very good on your wrist. I think there is no need to have big wrist with any Rolex watch. It is about the same thing that you would have to have big muscles to wear a tight shirt. It is all in the eye of the beholder i would say.
Old 12 May 2017, 04:04 PM   #22
diracpoint
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahefa View Post
Sorry for my unprecise comment. No, i mean locking system in bracelet because it has no safelock like in Deepsea and Explorer II which i have got used to.
No prob ... the bracelet never opened accidentally. So is the easylink.
Old 12 May 2017, 04:54 PM   #23
Onx
"TRF" Member

Do you have pics taken further away of the ss skyd? Looking at the PM models photo posted I think it might wear top heavy for me. I'm gonna sleep on it and think it over. I am a bit specific on wear comfort. My Coke GMT looks great but lack wrist time due to the buckle being off centered on my small wrist.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:24 PM   #24
regnant
"TRF" Member

I have not tried new stainless steel Sky Dweller models but tried earlier models. From my experience, it's worth it
Old 12 May 2017, 06:45 PM   #25
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Yes! I would never trade a hulk for a SS skydweller.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 06:48 PM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:

Looks better on yours than mine Mike, mine is 6.5" too but would never get a Skydweller because of how it sits on my wrist. Aside from the price of course, I'm a poor sod
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161007_201331.jpg (108.7 KB, 278 views)
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 06:49 PM   #27
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
I would keep what you have certainly a better investment don't shed a coke and Hulk particularly with your smaller wrist
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 09:11 PM   #28
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own two SD in PM and think they are great watches. I am also a bigger person and the 42 mm case wears well on my larger wrist. Can you pull it off. Sure you can if the watch is appropriately sized. Should you buy a watch that is obviously oversized, well only you can answer that. I would not and I especially would not give up anything out of your nice collection to make it work. Give the new SD a little time and see what the prices do, how much people like them and see how they get flipped. A year from now we will be chasing the Basel 18 watches and you should be able to get a nice discount on a new one and a real discount on a pre-owned one.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 09:16 PM   #29
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onx View Post
Is the new SS SkyD worth it?
Only you can answer that question.

To me, no it is not worth it. I do not care for that watch and the dial.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 09:18 PM   #30
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I tried on the SS SkDwellers at our Basel event last week.

Unfortunately I find it a bit difficult to read but aside from that the overall size was ok.

Interestingly, I thought the SkyDweller wore larger than the SD43 on my 7" flat wrist.

Maybe just an optical illusion ... Or too many Stella at the event
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote