The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 June 2017, 06:38 AM   #1
Nerosales
"TRF" Member

Rolex GMT II Question - Not working

Hey everyone. I just joined the forum today, and this is my first post. I'm wondering if anyone knows how much it costs to repair a Rolex that's been possibly overwound. I bought my GMT II one and a half years ago, and heard through various websites that you couldn't overwind it. One day, I noticed that it fell behind by five minutes. I winded it up after setting the time. Over the next couple of days, I noticed it had lost a couple of minutes and I reset the time again. I found several sites stating you couldn't overwind a Rolex, so I winded it for a long time. I continued to notice it was falling two-three minutes behind and kept resetting and winding it until today it stopped working. I believe there's a five year warranty on the watch. I took it to a local Rolex dealer who said they had to ship it off to Rolex for repair, but that overwinding a watch wasn't covered under the warranty. Does anyone know a ball park estimate on how much it may cost? Also, some of the sites stated you should wind the watch until you start feeling tension on the crown. Does anyone feel tension in a GMT II because I sure as heck never felt any tension on the crown since I bought it.
Nerosales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2017, 11:28 PM   #2
WatchinMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: Saxonia Moonphase
If it is 18 months old, it should be covered by the warranty. I don't think you hurt it by winding it.
WatchinMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 12:19 AM   #3
Kekela98a
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
It should be covered under warranty unless the problem was caused by the user. Best bet is to send it off to Rolex and see whats the issue
Kekela98a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2017, 01:47 PM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
You are correct that you can't overwind your watch. A service should cost around $600 + parts.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2017, 05:00 AM   #5
flintsghost
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16600
You need a new AD, as even Rolex says you can't overwind a watch. Just in case you didn't know you don't need the AD to send it back. Send it back yourself with the warranty card and the watch and letter explaining the problem. If you use the AD, they may bill you something even though Rolex fixes it for nothing.
flintsghost is offline   Reply With Quote