The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 18 June 2017, 09:17 PM   #1
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Service / Polish a 15400 - experience and opinions?

Hi,

My 15400 is at Clearwater to get its 3rd year warranty applied. It has picked up a few marks over the the last few years, nothing serious though.

They quoted $210 to polish the case. Has anyone done this and how are the results?
Foxman2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 03:55 PM   #2
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
My RG44 is there now getting the polish. I'm sure it'll turn out great. I hear the work they do is top notch.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2017, 04:04 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

seems a bit early to me for a polish. Based on your info it appears the watch is between 2 and 3 years old as you use to have to send it in prior to the 3rd year of ownership. If you continue to polish it on that schedule going forward you are going to have issues long term.

FYI, just for future reference you no longer need to send it in anymore to get the extra 3rd year of warranty. You just need to register the watch on AP's site. Its still a good idea to get it pressure tested yearly though.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 01:09 AM   #4
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Does anyone know if there are different versions of the AP polish? Is there a "light" version where the just brush the surface lightly and then a "heavy" polish where they resurface to clear up any deeper nicks?

I ask because I recall reading that AP recommend only doing the polish like 5 times max over the life of the watch. Does that sound right to anyone?
Old 20 June 2017, 01:50 AM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
Does anyone know if there are different versions of the AP polish? Is there a "light" version where the just brush the surface lightly and then a "heavy" polish where they resurface to clear up any deeper nicks?

I ask because I recall reading that AP recommend only doing the polish like 5 times max over the life of the watch. Does that sound right to anyone?
its 3 to 5, so 5 would be the max most likely. Im sure it also depends on the metal too (gold vs ss). So maybe its 3 gold and 5 ss?

Im guessing if you get it polished, they polish it to get it back to new. So you can say "light" but i doubt you will really know for sure how light they actually do it. If there are deep marks, they are going to be laser filled with material and they won't polish the case all the way down. So i think a polish is a polish and thats one of the ones you can have done over the lifetime of the watch.

I personally am NOT in the "no polishing" camp. I fully expect to get mine polished by AP when the time comes. I just think 2 years is a little quick to do it.
Old 20 June 2017, 02:54 AM   #6
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I personally am NOT in the "no polishing" camp. I fully expect to get mine polished by AP when the time comes. I just think 2 years is a little quick to do it.
Thanks for the info! I'm with you on the polishing - I like my baubles to look as nice as possible.

The max of 3-5 over the life of the watch brings up a question, though: if the recommended service interval is every 4-6 years, that means you could potentially "use up" all your polishes within 12 years at the absolute lowest end, or within 20 years being more conservative?

Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?
Old 20 June 2017, 03:05 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm with you on the polishing - I like my baubles to look as nice as possible.

The max of 3-5 over the life of the watch brings up a question, though: if the recommended service interval is every 4-6 years, that means you could potentially "use up" all your polishes within 12 years at the absolute lowest end, or within 20 years being more conservative?

Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?
sounds about right. lots of people skip the polishing. My plan with my 15400 is to polish it on the first service at 5 years. Then probably skip the polish on the next. so it will be on polish 2 at about 15 years old.

One of the areas that is a problem with removing too much material is the screw hole that screws the bracelet into the case. Look at how little material there is between the side of the case and the hole. That will give you an idea of how little material can be removed without causing issues.
Old 20 June 2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Hmmmm now im rethinking it. It only has a light sort of smudge mark on the right most bezel by the winder.
Old 20 June 2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

I had my 44 polished while it was there last year for servicing... I figured what the heck? For $200, it was already being serviced, might as well come back looking new.
Old 20 June 2017, 10:44 AM   #10
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

And how did it turn out when it came back?
Old 20 June 2017, 10:49 AM   #11
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Looking like new, all brushed and shiny. Well worth the $200.
Old 20 June 2017, 10:53 AM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
You can have AP polish around 4 times with integrity so up to you how often you want it done.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 11:51 AM   #13
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I got my ROC polished (both case and bracelet) and it came back factory fresh. Definitely recommend APSC in clearwater for that

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2017, 03:20 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wach16 View Post
I got my ROC polished (both case and bracelet) and it came back factory fresh. Definitely recommend APSC in clearwater for that
yes... AP 100%. never never let an independent polish an AP.
Old 20 June 2017, 03:24 PM   #15
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxman2k View Post
Hmmmm now im rethinking it. It only has a light sort of smudge mark on the right most bezel by the winder.
just tell them to polish the bezel and leave the case alone. Thats what i would do. Im less paranoid about the bezel or even the bracelet as i wouldn't mind replacing those parts completely when the time comes as opposed to replacing a case.

Im sure opinions differ, but for sentimental reasons for me ,the watch ceases to be the watch i originally bought if it has a different case (or movement). Replacing other parts as needed does not bother me at all and i still would see it as the same watch.
Old 23 June 2017, 05:16 AM   #16
Will1979
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
just tell them to polish the bezel and leave the case alone. Thats what i would do. Im less paranoid about the bezel or even the bracelet as i wouldn't mind replacing those parts completely when the time comes as opposed to replacing a case.

Im sure opinions differ, but for sentimental reasons for me ,the watch ceases to be the watch i originally bought if it has a different case (or movement). Replacing other parts as needed does not bother me at all and i still would see it as the same watch.
This is a good point. The bezel is what seems to take the brunt of scratches, plus it can be replaced pretty easily if it gets too worn from over-polishing. Same goes, I suppose, for individual bracelet links. Can anyone confirm that AP will listen to detailed instructions on what to and what not to polish?
Will1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 05:18 AM   #17
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Well I just let them know NOT to polish it. The marks are pretty minor and few and far between. Think I'll wait until it has a few more.
Old 23 June 2017, 08:10 PM   #18
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Quote:

You can also buy a new bezel later on. The issue is the case and bracelet which cost a lot more.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:55 PM   #19
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Lol so it turns out they had already begun so it will be polished after all. Not worried I'm sure it will look amazing and I'll just hold off for a while on doing it again. I take really good care of the watches (this marks were from previous owner) so all good. Will let you know how it looks when back from Clearwater
Old 25 June 2017, 09:39 AM   #20
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
post pics to see the end result
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 09:58 AM   #21
Foxman2k
"TRF" Member

Will do. I think I'll have it back in a few weeks. They said about 4 weeks total as I think it needed to be serviced as well as it was running about +16
Old 25 June 2017, 01:57 PM   #22
RudyB
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai, IWC, AP
After seeing this thread, I went to the AP boutique in Beverly Hills today to send in my 44mm ROO for a polishing. Although I've owned it for a short time, I got some noticeable dings and scratches while at the office that have been driving me nuts. Seeing that you guys were spending a little over $200 to get your watches back to its shiny new condition, i figure I'd send it in. To my disappointed, the sales rep at the boutique told me that I would need to have the watch completely serviced in addition to having it polished/refinished. He said I couldn't do the polish only. I mentioned that other collectors were able to do so, and I asked him to call the APSC on Monday to see if they can accommodate my request.

Curious, anyone have any pushback from the AD/boutique for just getting their watch only polished/refinished?
RudyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 09:11 PM   #23
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Will do. I think I'll have it back in a few weeks. They said about 4 weeks total as I think it needed to be serviced as well as it was running about +16
A two year old watch shouldn’t need serviced unless it wasn’t correctly assembled/lubricated during production.
Chances are it just needs a bit of time spent on regulating it.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 10:37 PM   #24
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyB View Post
After seeing this thread, I went to the AP boutique in Beverly Hills today to send in my 44mm ROO for a polishing. Although I've owned it for a short time, I got some noticeable dings and scratches while at the office that have been driving me nuts. Seeing that you guys were spending a little over $200 to get your watches back to its shiny new condition, i figure I'd send it in. To my disappointed, the sales rep at the boutique told me that I would need to have the watch completely serviced in addition to having it polished/refinished. He said I couldn't do the polish only. I mentioned that other collectors were able to do so, and I asked him to call the APSC on Monday to see if they can accommodate my request.

Curious, anyone have any pushback from the AD/boutique for just getting their watch only polished/refinished?
Mine was in for service when it was polished.
Old 26 June 2017, 10:51 AM   #25
RudyB
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the feedback Mike, good to know!
Old 26 June 2017, 03:18 PM   #26
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyB View Post

They told me the same thing. I called Clearwater and they said that was not the case so I went directly through APSC and bypassed the boutique.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:47 PM   #27
RudyB
"TRF" Member

Nice tip, thanks Mike!