The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 June 2017, 01:48 AM   #1
dominate
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z-blue Milli
Rolex warranty card

Hello!

When you buy a watch from the AD and get a warranty card is the "Purchase" and "Date of Purchase" written down on the spot on that warranty card?

Now that Rolex uses random serial, how do you know what year the watch is made?

Is there anyway to get a blank warranty card if buying from AD?
dominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 01:54 AM   #2
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
The Serial and Model number is already printed on the card and the AD writes in the purchaser names and date of purchase.

Maybe wrong but I very much doubt an AD would give you a blank card

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 01:58 AM   #3
Warningshot
"TRF" Member

Doesn't matter if its blank or not, it is swiped through a machine like a credit card and registered that day.
Warningshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 02:06 AM   #4
Aututto
Banned

Even if they put a sale date on there it doesn't really indicate the year it was made. They could have been sitting in the case for a year or two, sometimes more.
Aututto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 03:34 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominate View Post

You don't. Even before Random serial numbers you still did not know. Many people try to guess but only Rolex could possibly know.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 06:05 AM   #6
Sailaway68
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubCLV. SubCNodate
Normally the AD will activate the warrany by computer at point of sale, diredt to Rolex. The card is simply confirmation....
Sailaway68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 06:08 AM   #7
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Yes; you don't; and no
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 01:40 PM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

...:
Here is a little secret... You never actually "knew" when a watch was made; only when the parts were stamped. Charts are based on those stampings and sales dates, then compiled, so they are only within a couple years, at best.

Now we will have to do it the old fashioned way..... learn about the watch, it's variances and introduction time-frames..
Old 22 June 2017, 01:24 AM   #9
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
The Serial and Model number is already printed on the card and the AD writes in the purchaser names and date of purchase.

Not completely blank, but date of purchase and name of purchaser is filled in upon request. I usually buy from grey sellers but only if the card has no name filled in. All the grey sellers watches come from an AD ....
Old 12 October 2017, 06:27 AM   #10
69ways
Banned

So is it normal for the AD not to fill the PURCHASER NAME?
69ways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 06:30 AM   #11
MaverickMP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69ways View Post
So is it normal for the AD not to fill the PURCHASER NAME?
They've always filled out the card with my name and purchase date. I;ve never received a blank card ever.
MaverickMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 06:47 AM   #12
69ways
Banned

My card has everything stamped except the putchase date which is done by hand but my name is writen on the card neotjer was I asked
I realise though is normal for the warranty to follow the item
Not the purchaser
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 16783673-D647-4BFE-83B2-9D7D03EB2108.jpeg (98.4 KB, 1253 views)
File Type: jpeg DD44110A-8F80-4690-AC35-9742C346FAC6.jpeg (74.1 KB, 1245 views)
Old 12 October 2017, 06:53 AM   #13
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I've always heard conflicting things about the card swipe.

Some say that it activates the warranty.

Some say that it's merely used for inventory purposes and automatic reordering.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 07:27 AM   #14
69ways
Banned

Well I am not sure about the inventory
My AD claims he puts the orders in once a year and the items are send randomly every 15th of the month
He claims he never knows whats coming
I waited 3 months for the Sub
Old 12 October 2017, 11:43 AM   #15
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I believe when the warranty card is swiped, it tells Rolex this watch has been sold and the 5 year warranty starts as of the purchase date.

My three Rolexes have only been Dated and never named (at my request). I have asked an AD not to name my upcoming purchase (only date) but they stated it is a must. I will ask when I go in person, as this deal was completed over the phone to not name the card - personal preference.

The warranty only follows the watch, I don't think it matters who's name is on the card.
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 11:57 AM   #16
sya
"TRF" Member

Date is always hand written, at least in my experience. It is very rare to have an open date Rolex.
sya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 04:51 PM   #17
indi
"TRF" Member

just a thought
maybe a blank card is a way to entertain sales distributor (including AD)
so they can always date it to the current
and Rolex just leave it like that
indi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 06:19 PM   #18
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Hello!

When you buy a watch from the AD and get a warranty card is the "Purchase" and "Date of Purchase" written down on the spot on that warranty card?

You could never get a exact date when any Rolex watch was made only a approx date when the case was stamped between X&Y years.And no matter the serial when bought new from any AD they all get the same warranty.With the new warranty cards they are swiped like a credit card that registers when that watch was sold to start the warranty no other details are sent.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 06:31 PM   #19
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Is this the same for grey sellers Peter?

Does the AD swipe the card for them and ID them as the buyer?

Or are they 'special'.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 03:40 PM   #20
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
Will they issue a new warranty card with your name after a service?
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 04:13 PM   #21
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeYourTime View Post
Will they issue a new warranty card with your name after a service?
Service warranty card.

Have never heard of any reissuance of original warranty card if you've lost it.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 04:22 PM   #22
bobby81
"TRF" Member

I also buy from so called Grey Dealers. The Warranty Cards are always filled in fully with the store stamped & the name & date of purchase hand written. I think it goes against Rolex policy to leave any details off the Warranty Card. I'm sure from this site that the Card is swiped to activate the Warranty. I think the only way you know the exact year is say for instance the Daytona 116503 came into being in 2016 before that the serial for that particular model was 116523. The same as the Ceramic Daytona came into being this year. I'm sure if I got any of the dates wrong the good people here will put that right
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 09:24 PM   #23
kepler22
"TRF" Member

Collected my new Rolex yesterday, with the completed warranty card. The AD told me that this had to be completed by them and a copy is taken as evidence which Rolex always ask to see. One of the reasons being that they are not allowed to sell the same person 2 watches of the same model and if they did would immediately lose the licence to sell Rolex.
kepler22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 10:23 PM   #24
69ways
Banned

I am not so sure of that
As it is common to leave the purchaser name blank how can they proof you got two of the same
Honestly is up to me if I want to have two of the same model
Old 14 October 2017, 10:42 PM   #25
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

If you buy a used watch, will Rolex tell you when warranty card was actually scanned. (In case written date is inaccurate.)
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 11:21 PM   #26
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hello!

Some of the AD’s will not issue the warranty card or any paperwork except the sales receipt on the date of sale if they have a return policy. The reason is they wait till the return period has passed then issue the card and paperwork. This allows them to resell the watch as new if it comes back a few days later. Rolex does not particularly care for this practice but some AD’s still do it. As far as dating a Rolex by the serial number Rolex had a real issue with this and never liked the consumer or seller to know the exact date of manufacture. That is why they created the scattered serial number process. Also there were some AD’s with a trade in policy that would give you 65% of what the current retail price is in trade but the Rolex could not be 10 or more years old. The AD’s used the serial number list from off the internet to confirm this and would not accept the paper work from the date of sale. As a result some customers were being told their Rolex was 10 years or older but in reality they may have purchased it a few years before. Also you never know how long a Rolex may sit in the safe at an AD before it is sold.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2017, 11:55 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
Some of the AD’s will not issue the warranty card or any paperwork except the sales receipt on the date of sale if they have a return policy. The reason is they wait till the return period has passed then issue the card and paperwork. This allows them to resell the watch as new if it comes back a few days later. Rolex does not particularly care for this practice but some AD’s still do it. As far as dating a Rolex by the serial number Rolex had a real issue with this and never liked the consumer or seller to know the exact date of manufacture. That is why they created the scattered serial number process. Also there were some AD’s with a trade in policy that would give you 65% of what the current retail price is in trade but the Rolex could not be 10 or more years old. The AD’s used the serial number list from off the internet to confirm this and would not accept the paper work from the date of sale. As a result some customers were being told their Rolex was 10 years or older but in reality they may have purchased it a few years before. Also you never know how long a Rolex may sit in the safe at an AD before it is sold.
Not true you could never date exactly when any Rolex watch was made only a approx date when the case was stamped between X&Y years. And this only worked well with the fast sellers like SS sports. All internet charts are all based on information gathered from the various forums as there are no official charts from Rolex.Plus the only reason for Rolex to adapt this new random serial is simple this and this only.Since introduction of the single letter serials in 1987 Rolex had sold countless millions of watches they just ran out of single letter 6 number combinations thats why now we have 8 digit serials nothing more.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 12:05 AM   #28
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
... Also you never know how long a Rolex may sit in the safe at an AD before it is sold.
Some clue may be derived from the COSC Certificate test date, on the old ones anyway... when did they stop giving out the Certs?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2017, 01:39 AM   #29
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not true you could never date exactly when any Rolex watch was made only a approx date when the case was stamped between X&Y years. And this only worked well with the fast sellers like SS sports. All internet charts are all based on information gathered from the various forums as there are no official charts from Rolex.Plus the only reason for Rolex to adapt this new random serial is simple this and this only.Since introduction of the single letter serials in 1987 Rolex had sold countless millions of watches they just ran out of single letter 6 number combinations thats why now we have 8 digit serials nothing more.
Yes the numbers are only to be used as a tool but some AD’s did go to far with it. Rolex had issues about trying to date watches off the serial number to the point it was serious enough they personally addressed it with the AD and the Rolex Certified tech where I worked.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2019, 04:28 PM   #30
ClementTan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post

What about the AD’s details on the warranty card? Is this pre-printed by Rolex before they issue it to the AD or does the AD prints it on the card at the point of sale?
ClementTan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daytona , dealer , retail , submariner , warranty