The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Visit to Mayors - Florida Mall

Hey all,

I am currently on holiday/vacation in Orlando and took a visit to Mayors as I was at the Florida Mall with my family. I always like to browse at ADs wherever I go but always make clear am just browsing, so sales staff know not to spend much time with me lol.

Coming from the UK it was nice to see a window with plenty of SS models. They had ND, SubC and Hulk all together. They also had a black GMT2, plus strangely a full suite of SS/Plat dial YM models that were discontinued some time ago. They also had GV, Z-Blue and white Milgauss.

The sales person approached and made some small talk, pointing out the HULK immediately. He seemed keen to push me to look at it until I asked the price and showed him the conversion difference between US and U.K. The price difference was 4 figures. He then snapped smartly that "IF you can find one in the UK". I replied that I'd found a Blue/Black GMT BLNR which I showed him and he stormed off.

Later I browsed again happy not to speak to anyone as the first salesperson had gone. The next sales person came up and was much friendlier but I made clear I was only browsing. He noticed my BLNR which he complimented me on. He said they get the Black GMT but rarely a BLNR. This time the sales guy said they're in Orlando (tourist hotspot) and the prices are "killing his business" as tourists won't buy.

Interesting overall, but pricing aside , nice to see so many SS models.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
You should visit davidsw and buy something.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:52 AM   #3
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

I'm from the UK and go to that Mall every month on business.

I think I've met the same unfriendly salesman as yourself and since then don't bother going in other than looking in the window on my way past.

Their prices are simply just too high, especially when DavidSW is just round the corner and he's far friendlier to deal with, especially in person.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
You should visit davidsw and buy something.
LOL prices WAYYYYYYYY to high, even through DavidSW. I have no desire to purchase in the USA.
The exchange rate absolutely kills it plus, officially, I have to also declare upon entering the UK and pay import tax plus VAT of 20%.

This makes the UK in most cases thousands cheaper and that's not exaggerating.

No matter where I am, I never pass a Rolex AD without a little look.
Old 22 June 2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
I'm from the UK and go to that Mall every month on business.

I think I've met the same unfriendly salesman as yourself and since then don't bother going in other than looking in the window on my way past.

Their prices are simply just too high, especially when DavidSW is just round the corner and he's far friendlier to deal with, especially in person.
LOL the unfriendly guy was in his 50s I'd say and of Indonesian or Filipino origin possibly.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:00 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Wow, that's a rough exchange rate. Fun to,window shop and actually touch some rare UK models. I understand the SS Sport models are extremely rare in the U.K.? What the waiting list like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
LOL prices WAYYYYYYYY to high, even through DavidSW. I have no desire to purchase in the USA.
The exchange rate absolutely kills it plus, officially, I have to also declare upon entering the UK and pay import tax plus VAT of 20%.

Thi makes the uk, in most cases thousands cheaper and that's not exaggerating.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:05 AM   #7
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Wow, that's a rough exchange rate. Fun to,window shop and actually touch some rare UK models. I understand the SS Sport models are extremely rare in the U.K.? What the waiting list like?
I have great AD relationships plus I've owned many SS models so I'd not have much of a wait for most models (except SS Daytona).

However in UK you simply wouldn't walk past a window and see a ND, SubC and Hulk all sitting in the window. However get yourself onto lists for Subs and Hulk and you will get one although maybe not immediately. However with a price difference as below, I'd makes sense to put the leg work in and find one in the UK.

The HULK as an example is £6,600 UK price.
Florida price was apx $9650 inc tax. That works out £7,700 plus I'd be stung for import duty and VAT on arrival to the UK. That's $1375 difference plus duty/VAT.

Just shows the massive difference.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:13 AM   #8
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Why do you go in the store at all if you know what you know?

Rolex is much cheaper in the UK and if you have a proper relationship with the AD, they are easy enough
to obtain...so it seems like a waste of time to even walk into a US AD..
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

Rolex is much cheaper in the UK and if you have a proper relationship with the AD, they are easy to obtain...so it seems like a waste of time to even walk into a US AD..
Because I love to look at Rolex watches. I love to see what models they have and browse. I won't ask to try any on or engage the sales staff, but left alone, I'll happily browse without taking up people's time. I don't hang around too long either or accept any diet cokes (not that I was offered any anyway lol)

I also looked at the Mont Blanc collections and my wife looked at the rings. They had 40% off some Mont Blanc leather goods so worth a look. I actually might go back and get one of the Mont Blanc luggage tags as they were quite nice.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:38 AM   #10
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
That place is terrible. Snotty and don't want to give you the light of day. My stepdad wanted to buy a Patel there and they wouldn't even show it to him without a commitment. Crazy.
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 03:24 PM   #11
Amex4711
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes of course
Quote:
Because I love to look at Rolex watches. I love to see what models they have and browse. I won't ask to try any on or engage the sales staff, but left alone, I'll happily browse without taking up people's time. I don't hang around too long either or accept any diet cokes (not that I was offered any anyway lol)

I also looked at the Mont Blanc collections and my wife looked at the rings. They had 40% off some Mont Blanc leather goods so worth a look. I actually might go back and get one of the Mont Blanc luggage tags as they were quite nice.
I do exactly the same in my holiday, I Love to look at Rolex watches, too
Old 22 June 2017, 05:37 PM   #12
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
LOL the unfriendly guy was in his 50s I'd say and of Indonesian or Filipino origin possibly.
Yep, that's him. He's likely the reason all those watches are still on display in the window.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 05:57 PM   #13
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:

Rolex is much cheaper in the UK and if you have a proper relationship with the AD, they are easy enough
to obtain
...so it seems like a waste of time to even walk into a US AD..
I sometimes wonder where you get your information from. A personal friend of over 30 years is a supervisor in a Rolex AD back home in the UK and she put me at the top of the list for my D Blue (I only waited two months for it)..I would still have to wait a few months for another desirable SS sports Rolex (Sub date, BLNR, etc.) and I would be lucky to get a Daytona C within five years.

If there's no stock, there's no stock. There are also other clients that have spent hundreds of thousands in that store so would obviously be way above m on the list and I'm ok with that. They can't sell what they don't have.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 06:28 PM   #14
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
I purchased my Bluesy Sub C from Mayors...
That said, if you're ready to buy they will negotiate...
So... browsing is one thing and buying is another ...
I didn't buy in Orlando though ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amex4711 View Post
I do exactly the same in my holiday, I Love to look at Rolex watches, too
I'm just a pure Rolex enthusiast through and through. Sad to many, but it's just one of my keen interests.

However I appreciate the sales people are there to sell and not pass the time of day chatting to me. As an experienced sales person myself I understand about qualification etc and despite being a Rolex wearer, I make clear that I'm just having a little look, making it a bit easier for them.

For that reason I won't engage them in chat or waste their time unless they are also enthusiasts and fancy a chat.

I must add that both times I dropped in Mayors was empty, although a young black male did walk in wearing headphones and came up and chatted to one of the sales people. I got the feeling he had some level of special needs, maybe Autism . The sales person visibly "ushered" him out the door and said "no time for you now, bye bye". That saddened me, and I get the impression he was someone who just enjoyed walking the mall and speaking to people without having the potential to be a customer.
Old 22 June 2017, 10:35 PM   #16
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Sure doesn't seem like you sent him away. Doing UK conversions, etc. If you had no intention of buying why did engage him. You are telling your truth here not the truth. Then you jump on a forum and mention the place and talk bad about the poor guy? This post really upsets me! Oh and I'm sure it's great dor biz to have a kid in the store with headphones on that is there to just shoot the breeze in a Rolex store. Yeah why would they ever ask him to leave.
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 10:54 PM   #17
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I sometimes wonder where you get your information from. A personal friend of over 30 years is a supervisor in a Rolex AD back home in the UK and she put me at the top of the list for my D Blue (I only waited two months for it)..I would still have to wait a few months for another desirable SS sports Rolex (Sub date, BLNR, etc.) and I would be lucky to get a Daytona C within five years.

If there's no stock, there's no stock. There are also other clients that have spent hundreds of thousands in that store so would obviously be way above m on the list and I'm ok with that. They can't sell what they don't have.
The OP says he got a BLNR in UK, no sweat. That is why, along with price, he was disagreeing with the SA at the AD regarding the Hulk availability in UK.

Apparently I am getting some of this availability info directly from you as well! A 2 month wait for a BLNR or Deep blue in the U.K. is "easy enough".....I have heard of similar or longer wait times in the US...so...yeah.

The 5yr wait for a Daytona C is hogwash.
Old 22 June 2017, 11:13 PM   #18
nick c
Banned

I also visit them last month very expensive,In the Caribbean much cheaper.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2017, 11:23 PM   #19
haberdashery
"TRF" Member

I went in the Mayors at Millenia a few weeks back and the sales guy made some ridiculous comments. Amongst other things, I dress like a typical Brit, apparently.

He went through every piece of clothing I was wearing, head to toe, telling me how Americans just don't dress like that. And my socks must be new, because they were so white (honestly, I'm not making this up). Also, he hadn't seen a Yankies hat in a few days, since the last Brit came in.

I went in the Mayors branch at the Florida Mall too. I dealt with Kevin there, I was looking at an SD4000 they had in the case (after it was discontinued) but we couldn't make the numbers work. Kevin was professional and most pleasant, but the guy in the Millenia store was just downright rude.

I guess it depends on who's working in there on the day as to what level of service you receive.
haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:21 AM   #20
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by melrob1 View Post
Sure doesn't seem like you sent him away. Doing UK conversions, etc. If you had no intention of buying why did engage him. You are telling your truth here not the truth. Then you jump on a forum and mention the place and talk bad about the poor guy? This post really upsets me! Oh and I'm sure it's great dor biz to have a kid in the store with headphones on that is there to just shoot the breeze in a Rolex store. Yeah why would they ever ask him to leave.

Or, perhaps the OP was browsing and a fud* of an arrogant salesperson sees what he thinks is an opportunity to sell a piece he knows is hard to get in the UK, and tries to do so in a know it all and pushy manner (which is something we Brits find at best annoying and at worst offensve)

*(Scottish, especially Glasgow, vernacular)

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:23 AM   #21
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
The OP says he got a BLNR in UK, no sweat. That is why, along with price, he was disagreeing with the SA at the AD regarding the Hulk availability in UK.

Apparently I am getting some of this availability info directly from you as well! A 2 month wait for a BLNR or Deep blue in the U.K. is "easy enough".....I have heard of similar or longer wait times in the US...so...yeah.

The 5yr wait for a Daytona C is hogwash.
OP has had his BLNR as long as I've been a member and that was long before the GB pound crashed. Since the Brexit vote last June, most SS Rolex are bought by foreigners taking advantage of the weak £.

The only reason I got my D-Blue was because of my very long standing friendship. If you've paid attention to the threads on here of UK buyers trying to source that reference, you'll appreciate how lucky I was. It's apparently not such a problem to acquire in the US. My AD here in Singapore hasn't had one this year. It's all about demographics and if you live in the UK or Singapore then it's not an easy piece to come by.

The five years for the Daytona is not hogwash, not if you want to pay retail at an AD. Ok, we all know how it works, the AD calls the first person and if they're not in a position to proceed then number two gets the call and so forth. You might get lucky if you're number six. However, if the first person picks the phone up and can move then it's a long wait. A very long wait. Call it hogwash if you want, I'm not bothered, but it is what it is.

As for the

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 06:03 AM   #22
mattty
"TRF" Member

Hi Nairn, I was there around 3 weeks ago thought they seemed a nice friendly bunch tbh.
Think the manager was called Kevin, their was a Chinese looking chap there and a very pretty lady who I think spoke Portuguese as a second language, very very pretty anyway.
I walked in with wife and kids, did get a Pepsi and a water (they were very kind to kids too), sadly as you say logistics if buying overseas isn't great.
Possibly if they would have dealed abit I would have bought something but they seemed well set on the rrp, maybe that's why they have such a selection?
Think to come away with a watch Is worth something though?
Eitherway like you I just love looking!
Best Matty
mattty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 12:06 PM   #23
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys,

Never my intention to stir anything up, merely mentioning my observations.
I will always happily continue to pop into any AD I pass and have a look. It's lovely when you happen to meet someone as enthusiastic about Rolex as me, and always nice to have a chat. On this occasion it felt a little frosty, but that's ok.

Again, no intention to upset anyone
Old 23 June 2017, 01:01 PM   #24
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks guys,

Never my intention to stir anything up, merely mentioning my observations.
I will always happily continue to pop into any AD I pass and have a look. It's lovely when you happen to meet someone as enthusiastic about Rolex as me, and always nice to have a chat. On this occasion it felt a little frosty, but that's ok.

Again, no intention to upset anyone
Keep in mind that when you pop into the local AD you pass by to have a looksee and perhaps have a chat, that the salesperson just might not be interested in all that.

The reason being is that you are burning an "up" for them. The salespeople rotate who they take on as customers when you walk into the store. You are "theirs" regardless of whether or not you tell them you're just a looker. They can't go back on rotation until you are out of there and then they have to wait until it's their turn again to wait on another client. This is how it works in the larger chain AD such as Mayors... So needless to say, not every salesperson who works off of commission is as accommodating as you would like them to be.

Just to cut off the upcoming comments that will disagree with me, no I don't work at an AD and NEVER have. I just like to know how things work in different professions and talk shop with the people that I purchase watches from...so that's why I prefer not to mess about at an AD that I have no intention of ever buying from...

Some will comment that none of the above matters in the least and they are fine with kicking tires and the such..but then don't be surprised that you sometimes get a "frosty" interaction with a salesperson. There is more going on behind the scenes than you may realize and that can cause a less than favorable experience when compared to expectations in terms of interactions when browsing.
Old 23 June 2017, 03:51 PM   #25
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I never purchased at my go to AD for years as I didn't like their price and attitude. Fast forward to today and I am their largest customer by a long shot.

What changed? I am no longer dealing with a person like the OP just described.

I cannot stress how it bothers me when sales associates do not work for a sale.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 07:31 PM   #26
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Visit to Mayors - Florida Mall

Bought my sub from that Mayors. They were very friendly and when I had an issue with it they gave me a brand new replacement no questions asked.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 07:38 PM   #27
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Keep in mind that when you pop into the local AD you pass by to have a looksee and perhaps have a chat, that the salesperson just might not be interested in all that.

The reason being is that you are burning an "up" for them. The salespeople rotate who they take on as customers when you walk into the store. You are "theirs" regardless of whether or not you tell them you're just a looker. They can't go back on rotation until you are out of there and then they have to wait until it's their turn again to wait on another client. This is how it works in the larger chain AD such as Mayors... So needless to say, not every salesperson who works off of commission is as accommodating as you would like them to be.

Just to cut off the upcoming comments that will disagree with me, no I don't work at an AD and NEVER have. I just like to know how things work in different professions and talk shop with the people that I purchase watches from...so that's why I prefer not to mess about at an AD that I have no intention of ever buying from...

Some will comment that none of the above matters in the least and they are fine with kicking tires and the such..but then don't be surprised that you sometimes get a "frosty" interaction with a salesperson. There is more going on behind the scenes than you may realize and that can cause a less than favorable experience when compared to expectations in terms of interactions when browsing.
The point that is being masssively missed here is that today's tyre kicker could easily be tomorrows, next month's or even next year's consumer.

Being courteous and polite costs nothing for a salesperson. Being discourteous on the other hand often does.

There is no excuse whatsoever for a salesperson being "frosty".

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 09:00 PM   #28
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
The point that is being masssively missed here is that today's tyre kicker could easily be tomorrows, next month's or even next year's consumer.

Being courteous and polite costs nothing for a salesperson. Being discourteous on the other hand often does.

There is no excuse whatsoever for a salesperson being "frosty".
For me, that's spot on.

I AM a Rolex buyer, and one day the exchange rate could change and I could decide the figures made a bit more sense, especially if they offered a discount too.

I just find 99% of ADs smile and are courteous but this one just had a bit of an underlying attitude.

As mentioned, I will be going back in again to look at some of their Mont Blanc goods and my wife wants to see some of their rings. I'll just be steering clear of the first staff member I encountered.
Old 23 June 2017, 10:14 PM   #29
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
I never purchased at my go to AD for years as I didn't like their price and attitude. Fast forward to today and I am their largest customer by a long shot.

What changed? I am no longer dealing with a person like the OP just described.

I cannot stress how it bothers me when sales associates do not work for a sale.
Admit it Steve, it was the free coconuts that finally pulled you in
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 10:45 PM   #30
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Admit it Steve, it was the free coconuts that finally pulled you in
Adam, my sales associate melted my heart that day!! Between her and her wonderful husband I gained a lifelong friendship

But yes, the coconuts put a huge smile on my face and is the most unique buying experience of my life
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote