The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 June 2017, 11:06 PM   #31
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

My disappointment with that store was the fact I was ready to purchase if we could find a way to negotiate on price.
I had seen the watch I was after with a grey dealer in the uk. I would have preferred on that occasion to buy from Mayors as an AD, but the reaction I received when trying ask for any wriggle room they may have on price was met with such distain, I was made to feel quite uncomfortable. Which is rediculous because I had a huge pile of cash right there in my pocket to do the deal, but figured my money would be better spent somewhere else, which it duly was! Said watch was still in their window more than 6 weeks later.
In the end I bought it for cash here in the U.K. from a jeweller unworn BNIB.
I won't be in a hurry to go back to Mayors after that.

Having said all this, I don't wish to start AD bashing or single out any individual sales person.

Everyone has a bad day.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2017, 11:11 PM   #32
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by haberdashery View Post
Amongst other things, I dress like a typical Brit, apparently.

He went through every piece of clothing I was wearing, head to toe, telling me how Americans just don't dress like that.
From my limited exposure to Brits, both here and in Britain, you guys, generally speaking, dress much better than the typical American.

We're a bunch of slobs, generally speaking, with t-shirts, flip-flops and often unshaven and typically overweight, especially in the South. Nasty stereotype that I hate to perpetuate, but I think it's fairly accurate.

So take his comments as a compliment, eh?

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:26 AM   #33
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Is this the Mayors with one store upstairs (Rolex only) and a separate store on the bottom floor selling Tudors, Pams etc etc and used Rolex?

If so I was there in Nov staring at the BLRO in the window. Lovely lady in the downstairs store who chatted to me

Edit. Whoops I'm thinking of Millenia
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:37 AM   #34
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Is this the Mayors with one store upstairs (Rolex only) and a separate store on the bottom floor selling Tudors, Pams etc etc and used Rolex?

If so I was there in Nov staring at the BLRO in the window. Lovely lady in the downstairs store who chatted to me
Hi, no, I'm talking about the other store in Florida Mall, one large store with all brands.

Funnily enough, the store you mention is Mall at Millenia, and I was in that exact store just a few hours ago. I also spoke to a lovely girl, dark skinned, very pretty and lovely to chat to. She was chatting about the different models. She happened to mention that the new Air-King was really popular and sold quickly when she got one in. She was telling me about the lume on the new explorer and that she could offer a small discount on Milgauss as they weren't selling very well. She said they don't offer discounts on SS models apart from this.

I also had a good stare at the BLRO in the window lol. Maybe the same one? Although doubtful given how upscale this mall is.

Completely different vibe here, despite the mall actually being much more premium, felt really welcome. She was a great ambassador for the brand.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:12 AM   #35
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Ha - yes Millenia, always get names mixed up!

Sounds like could be possible same lady, however she was downstairs (unless they work both)

Preferred Millenia - less people and quiet lol
Old 28 June 2017, 11:23 AM   #36
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha - yes Millenia, always get names mixed up!

Sounds like could be possible same lady, however she was downstairs (unless they work both)

Preferred Millenia - less people and quiet lol
I love Millenia, beautiful mall and lovely to have a stroll around, and of course, a visit to Cheesecake Factory for lunch lol.

It's more of a window shopping showroom style mall for me, however often there are some good sales in Macy's and Bloomingdales. I love the watch Boutiques like Tag Heuer, Breitling, Rolex and Omega. All have some lovely models and special pieces.
Old 28 June 2017, 11:30 AM   #37
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Lol. The cheesecake factory was actually our first stop!

Indeed, wife and kids went off shopping and I strolled around browsing watches
Old 28 June 2017, 11:31 AM   #38
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol. The cheesecake factory was actually our first stop!

Indeed, wife and kids went off shopping and I strolled around browsing watches
Always the way...."I'll meet you at x place, I just want to look at watches"
Old 28 June 2017, 11:57 AM   #39
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I love Millenia, beautiful mall and lovely to have a stroll around, and of course, a visit to Cheesecake Factory for lunch lol.

It's more of a window shopping showroom style mall for me, however often there are some good sales in Macy's and Bloomingdales. I love the watch Boutiques like Tag Heuer, Breitling, Rolex and Omega. All have some lovely models and special pieces.
Hey Nairn,

Hope you are able to make it to Las Vegas someday - sans family. I have an upcoming guys weekend there and I can't wait. The watch browsing is off the charts...and the other trouble we get into is pretty nice as well.

Rolex in the Wynn... AP, Patek, ALS...you can't swing the proverbial dead cat without hitting a nice watch shop.

That said - not the place to buy at all...
Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:22 PM   #40
Karlig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
The point that is being masssively missed here is that today's tyre kicker could easily be tomorrows, next month's or even next year's consumer.

Being courteous and polite costs nothing for a salesperson. Being discourteous on the other hand often does.

There is no excuse whatsoever for a salesperson being "frosty".
You are absolutely correct. There are far too many jerks working in the higher end stores, they seem to
Put themselves up on a pedestal, truth of the matter is they don't make a tenth of what their average customer makes, kind of funny.
Karlig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 01:43 PM   #41
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
My disappointment with that store was the fact I was ready to purchase if we could find a way to negotiate on price.
I had seen the watch I was after with a grey dealer in the uk. I would have preferred on that occasion to buy from Mayors as an AD, but the reaction I received when trying ask for any wriggle room they may have on price was met with such distain, I was made to feel quite uncomfortable. Which is rediculous because I had a huge pile of cash right there in my pocket to do the deal, but figured my money would be better spent somewhere else, which it duly was! Said watch was still in their window more than 6 weeks later.
In the end I bought it for cash here in the U.K. from a jeweller unworn BNIB.
I won't be in a hurry to go back to Mayors after that.

Having said all this, I don't wish to start AD bashing or single out any individual sales person.

Everyone has a bad day.
There is no reason for AD to discount Rolex in Orlando....they absolutely will take a slow dime over a fast nickel.

In Omaha? Sure....There just isn't the foot traffic and tourism.

It's same as in London...not sure why this is such a terrible shock.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 09:36 PM   #42
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Hey Nairn,

Hope you are able to make it to Las Vegas someday - sans family. I have an upcoming guys weekend there and I can't wait. The watch browsing is off the charts...and the other trouble we get into is pretty nice as well.

Rolex in the Wynn... AP, Patek, ALS...you can't swing the proverbial dead cat without hitting a nice watch shop.

That said - not the place to buy at all...
Haha sounds fantastic!!!!!!
However I've got no chance, being under the thumb with a family. Any vacation time we stick together.
Maybe when my son is older I'll have more "free time"

Currently a quick visit to a few stores unaccompanied is as good as it gets lol
Old 28 June 2017, 09:52 PM   #43
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
There is no reason for AD to discount Rolex in Orlando....they absolutely will take a slow dime over a fast nickel.

In Omaha? Sure....There just isn't the foot traffic and tourism.

It's same as in London...not sure why this is such a terrible shock.
I don't know where you get these notions that smaller markets don't move watches. The AD near me, in a small market, has moved seven Daytona C's this year and moves a lot of other SS sports watches out the door. Rolex moves more than his jewelry business.

You always come on these threads and tell people that tire kicking is a waste of the SA's "up", then go on the berate tire kickers in general. Retail luxury goods SA's cultivate customers over time. There is no wasted opportunity to sell your self and your store as the place to buy. Making the customer feel special, even when you know there isn't an impending sale, brings that customer back to you when he's ready to buy.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:24 PM   #44
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I don't know where you get these notions that smaller markets don't move watches. The AD near me, in a small market, has moved seven Daytona C's this year and moves a lot of other SS sports watches out the door. Rolex moves more than his jewelry business.

You always come on these threads and tell people that tire kicking is a waste of the SA's "up", then go on the berate tire kickers in general. Retail luxury goods SA's cultivate customers over time. There is no wasted opportunity to sell your self and your store as the place to buy. Making the customer feel special, even when you know there isn't an impending sale, brings that customer back to you when he's ready to buy.
I'm sorry, but that isn't really that many watches in comparison to the big stores...but it's above average for a yocal and I'm sure they are proud.

You do realize that there is a different perspective in these AD scenarios.

Not all, but quite a few SA in larger stores couldn't care less about cultivating customers...they need sales TODAY. They aren't museum curators.

I realize this might be shocking to those who think the Rolex AD is some magical place where reality is suspended and dreams always have rainbows with Rolexes at the end!

For employees it's just another sales job with pressures all around and the need to make money by closing ups fast. Some SA are better than others at creating an illusion of wonder where the Diet Coke is always the right temp....others aren't great actors and they just see the watch for what it is....and they don't give the time for tire kicking or "fooling around".

I'm not saying this is the right approach, but it is a reason for the disappointment that AD visitors may have after their visits, which then compels them to come here and tell us all about it in gory detail..

Those are just the reasons (among others) as to why the sales experience at AD can be so inconsistent and not up to elevated expectations.

I personally couldn't care less about red carpet treatment at an AD. I don't go to one (other than my main source), unless I have legitimate potential business there. I don't need a Diet Coke. I do prefer snobbier AD as I think that fake pretentiousness is entertaining, but the watch itself is what sells me.
Old 28 June 2017, 11:27 PM   #45
Speed
"TRF" Member

Visit to Mayors - Florida Mall

Quote:
Haha sounds fantastic!!!!!!

However I've got no chance, being under the thumb with a family. Any vacation time we stick together.

Maybe when my son is older I'll have more "free time"

Currently a quick visit to a few stores unaccompanied is as good as it gets lol

Understood. If you're taking a trip across the pond, you'll have the family in tow. Perhaps a Grand Canyon trip - with a little detour? To Vegas?

Las Vegas is only a weekend hall pass for me. When we make it to Europe, it will be a group affair.

I'm working on getting my boy to appreciate watches...he quite likes his Iron Man AP

Old 28 June 2017, 11:44 PM   #46
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Understood. If you're taking a trip across the pond, you'll have the family in tow. Perhaps a Grand Canyon trip - with a little detour? To Vegas?

Las Vegas is only a weekend hall pass for me. When we make it to Europe, it will be a group affair.

I'm working on getting my boy to appreciate watches...he quite likes his Iron Man AP

Ahhh love that!!

My little boy is 5 and knows a Rolex and can spot the word and recognises the crown symbol etc.

We are still in Florida and return home to Scotland at the weekend, it's been a lovely few weeks.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:12 AM   #47
Speed
"TRF" Member

Visit to Mayors - Florida Mall

Quote:
Ahhh love that!!

My little boy is 5 and knows a Rolex and can spot the word and recognises the crown symbol etc.

We are still in Florida and return home to Scotland at the weekend, it's been a lovely few weeks.

Very cool. My son is 6. He'll have a birth year GMTIIC (slightly used !) to call his own in 16 years or so.

Enjoy your trip. A few weeks? Ah yes. Europeans know how to travel!
Old 29 June 2017, 01:19 AM   #48
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:

For employees it's just another sales job with pressures all around and the need to make money by closing ups fast. Some SA are better than others at creating an illusion of wonder where the Diet Coke is always the right temp....others aren't great actors and they just see the watch for what it is....and they don't give the time for tire kicking or "fooling around".
Then they, or more specifically you, shouldn't bitch about people complaining on forums such as this about sales people who are unwilling to invest the time in cultivating relationships and just want to close up fast.

You (and they) can't have it both ways.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:20 AM   #49
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Then they, or more specifically you, shouldn't bitch about people complaining on forums such as this about sales people who are unwilling to invest the time in cultivating relationships and just want to close up fast.

You (and they) can't have it both ways.
Sure I can...

People are just way too sensitive about these encounters..It's just a watch dealer.

It's silly to come on a forum and tattle on a dealer that didn't throw out the red carpet and offer a perfectly chilled diet coke.....even to go as far as to be offended because a SA touched their watch with an ungloved hand...the horror...

There have been some threads where the AD outright ripped off the poster either with a deposit issue or service fraud, then by all means come on here and blast off...

But this nonsense? It's for the birds, brah.....sorry.
Old 29 June 2017, 03:50 AM   #50
madgoal1
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJII, Sub, ExpII
Been to both, Florida Mall and Mall at Millenia (bought my DJII there) . Both experiences have been pleasant. The associates i have dealt with have both been female, few of the males i talked to happened to be the older gents and they really didnt seem to care about being remotely nice. Usually had some snide comment or just a generally snobby attitude which i dont understand. Especially if you are trying to sell me something rather expensive.
madgoal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 10:02 AM   #51
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
I'm sorry, but that isn't really that many watches in comparison to the big stores...but it's above average for a yocal and I'm sure they are proud.

You do realize that there is a different perspective in these AD scenarios.

Not all, but quite a few SA in larger stores couldn't care less about cultivating customers...they need sales TODAY. They aren't museum curators.

I realize this might be shocking to those who think the Rolex AD is some magical place where reality is suspended and dreams always have rainbows with Rolexes at the end!

I'm not saying this is the right approach, but it is a reason for the disappointment that AD visitors may have after their visits, which then compels them to come here and tell us all about it in gory detail..

Those are just the reasons (among others) as to why the sales experience at AD can be so inconsistent and not up to elevated expectations.

I personally couldn't care less about red carpet treatment at an AD. I don't go to one (other than my main source), unless I have legitimate potential business there. I don't need a Diet Coke. I do prefer snobbier AD as I think that fake pretentiousness is entertaining, but the watch itself is what sells me.
Your used car lot sales model isn't what most luxury brands aspire to.

My wife managed three UN AD's in the middle east. They were the largest sellers of UN in the world at one time. Everyone who walked in the door was a potential customer that was welcomed and pampered. That's what luxury brands do - they provide a luxury experience. You'll find the same experience at Cartier, Louis Vuitton, and other luxury brands.

I wouldn't buy gum from someone who treated me like a sales figure at luxury goods outlet.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:08 PM   #52
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Your used car lot sales model isn't what most luxury brands aspire to.

My wife managed three UN AD's in the middle east. They were the largest sellers of UN in the world at one time. Everyone who walked in the door was a potential customer that was welcomed and pampered. That's what luxury brands do - they provide a luxury experience. You'll find the same experience at Cartier, Louis Vuitton, and other luxury brands.

I wouldn't buy gum from someone who treated me like a sales figure at luxury goods outlet.
That isn't my "used car sales model"...how dare you make that assumption!!!!

I'm just telling you how it is at some AD's....specifically the one mentioned in this thread. Branches of major chain jewelers, in lower middle tier shopping malls. High volume. Lots of foot traffic. Close them fast. This might be hard to accept, but in this setting, Rolex is treated slightly above mall rubbish like Movado and Eurotrash like Tag Heuer. Yes, Mall rubbish. Back 15yrs ago Rolexers HATED ROLEX being sold at crappy malls because of this treatment (there were threads about it all the time)...this is where a lot of forum stories about underwhelming service come from.. Mall Rubbish stores.

Then you have the high street independent or elevated chain that isn't in a mall and Rolex is elevated with snobbier brands like VC and Patek, so the buying experience is luxurious but condescending. This is where your get a lot of complaints about being insulted or treated as too poor to afford anything in the store.

Then there is the rarer Rolex "boutique" by some AD chain who agreed to the big money fixture build out to sell Rolex exclusively. These tend to be in higher end shopping malls or districts and are overall pleasant to deal with, but still a harder numbers driven game than a true factory boutique such as LV, Cartier and the such. There can be some snobbery here as well...so watchout!

Then you have the M&P independent store where Rolex might be the only brand of watch they sell. They will be sweetest and most accommodating to tire kickers and don't have a large and thirsty sales force, so the time to make you feel special is there. This dealer will be in a smaller, affluent area and treats Rolex as the best...and that you're the best for looking at Rolex. Rainbows guide you to the store and there is a parade in your honor after you leave with your amazing ROLEX. I've seen this happen.

Again. just watches in store.....but clearly some people really care about the "experience" as much, if not more, than the watch...
Old 30 June 2017, 10:06 PM   #53
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
All above so true. I won't quote it all but well said Fleetlord. Very good breakdown.

My old AD was great. Knew my name when I went in. Discounts for me and my referrals. As many Scotch as you could stand ( or whatever your drink was) and knowledgeable and patient salespeople.

They went out of business. Rolex took away their AD status.

Greys here and trusted sellers from now on. Tony or David.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 01:36 AM   #54
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
All above so true. I won't quote it all but well said Fleetlord. Very good breakdown.

My old AD was great. Knew my name when I went in. Discounts for me and my referrals. As many Scotch as you could stand ( or whatever your drink was) and knowledgeable and patient salespeople.

They went out of business. Rolex took away their AD status.

Greys here and trusted sellers from now on. Tony or David.
Is it a similar breakdown in Japan?
Old 1 July 2017, 01:59 AM   #55
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Is it a similar breakdown in Japan?
Pretty much. Except most of the ADs are Japanese higher end chain stores or God forbid boutiques. Zero discount.

Best place to shop for me here ( I don't want a SS Daytona ) are the greys here, Bic Camera or have it shipped to me via a trusted seller.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 03:00 AM   #56
miles813
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LN, 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarmar View Post
I purchased my Bluesy Sub C from Mayors...

That said, if you're ready to buy they will negotiate...

So... browsing is one thing and buying is another ...

I didn't buy in Orlando though ...

Tampa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miles813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 03:45 AM   #57
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
That isn't my "used car sales model"...how dare you make that assumption!!!!

I'm just telling you how it is at some AD's....specifically the one mentioned in this thread. Branches of major chain jewelers, in lower middle tier shopping malls. High volume. Lots of foot traffic. Close them fast. This might be hard to accept, but in this setting, Rolex is treated slightly above mall rubbish like Movado and Eurotrash like Tag Heuer. Yes, Mall rubbish. Back 15yrs ago Rolexers HATED ROLEX being sold at crappy malls because of this treatment (there were threads about it all the time)...this is where a lot of forum stories about underwhelming service come from.. Mall Rubbish stores.

Then you have the high street independent or elevated chain that isn't in a mall and Rolex is elevated with snobbier brands like VC and Patek, so the buying experience is luxurious but condescending. This is where your get a lot of complaints about being insulted or treated as too poor to afford anything in the store.

Then there is the rarer Rolex "boutique" by some AD chain who agreed to the big money fixture build out to sell Rolex exclusively. These tend to be in higher end shopping malls or districts and are overall pleasant to deal with, but still a harder numbers driven game than a true factory boutique such as LV, Cartier and the such. There can be some snobbery here as well...so watchout!

Then you have the M&P independent store where Rolex might be the only brand of watch they sell. They will be sweetest and most accommodating to tire kickers and don't have a large and thirsty sales force, so the time to make you feel special is there. This dealer will be in a smaller, affluent area and treats Rolex as the best...and that you're the best for looking at Rolex. Rainbows guide you to the store and there is a parade in your honor after you leave with your amazing ROLEX. I've seen this happen.

Again. just watches in store.....but clearly some people really care about the "experience" as much, if not more, than the watch...
That's a pretty good summary.

My local experience varies slightly with a nice mixture of all the good parts. IMO.
But then again it's been a rather long process of relationship building and the resultant mutual understanding, respect and trust which adds an element of quite considerable depth to the equation.

I can also see others perspectives as well.
It's potentially a fluid dynamic with no absolutes.
That's life
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote