The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Is the Patek Philippe Nautilus overpriced relative to peers?
Yes 146 60.33%
No 96 39.67%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24 June 2017, 01:50 PM   #31
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I think it is over priced for a simple watch but they succeeded to make it very desirable up to the level that some people pay 35k for them.

Also, isn't the 5711 retail price 21.9 k?
There was a HK Christies Auction I believe where a 5711/1A Blue went for around $35k and a 5711/1A Blue Tiffany went for $48k. Ludacris. But if you got the money, then it ain't a problem.
Defiancekofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:12 PM   #32
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
You can't compare the 5711 to the 15400, you need to compare it to the 15202, and then the PP is a little more but not so much, just it keeps it's price greatly, even faining, while the AP is keeping nicely but you should loose a little. So no it's not overpriced IMO, if you buy for retail, buy on grey market and yeah it's overpriced
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:30 PM   #33
Tony@KopiGau
"TRF" Member

If you were an AD you would probably think it is way underpriced due to high demand and very limited supply. If u are lucky to get one new piece you should be happy to justify the price you pay for. PP is happy to maintain it this way so 5711 continues to be the basecamp and talking point of the whole legendary Nautilus line.
Tony@KopiGau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2017, 10:32 PM   #34
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Very easy to do. So you move hands back to 10:00 then to 2:00 etc etc. Now if you had to actually rotate twice past 12:00 that would be a pain! So for what you get in an amazing watch a small amount of extra work is well worth it IMHO.
I flipped my jumbo and while the date change wasn't as quick as I would have liked that wasn't the reason I moved it on. The charm of this method did wear off rather quickly for me though
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:02 AM   #35
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think at that price it comes down to personal preference, not a few thousand dollars give or take. Given the strong demand, lack of discounts pre-owned, etc., the market doesn't think the 5711 is overpriced. I really like the 15202, but I much prefer my 5711
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 12:34 AM   #36
DR.Golf
"TRF" Member

Late to the discusssion but, here goes.......

Patek, love them or hate them is at the head of the table. Patek does whatever they want without any concern about other watchmakers, there exists no reason for them to do so. AP is going to price their pieces relative to Patek. Do you believe AP would launch any new watch which would compete directly without first considering how it compares to Patek in every way including price? No way. Would Patek check to see what AP is doing? You get the point. Patek does what Patek wants, no apologies.

As proof I could go on for hours but here is a couple of examples of how Patek does what they want when they want to do it, AND get away with it.
How many steel three hand watches manufactured for more than 10 years sell for 25% over MSRP? How much of a surcharge do you pay for the same watch in Platinum? Seriously $75,000 plus! 5524 sells for as much as $10k over, and it' still in production. Why, because Thierry Stern decides he is going to prove a point after people bash it at launch. Even the IMO ugly little Aquanaut on a rubber band can't be had easily and you pay close to retail. Preowned you are likely paying more than dealer cost when new. Try to sell your preowned VC and you will find out about value retention.

Sorry guys VC is dead. There is no way to force the issue beyond the fact they are dead, - it's now just a brand owned by a conglomerate, no longer an independent. VC doesn't belong in this discussion. Their new designs are now awful. They will simply follow the dregs of the industry over at Richmont, Swatch etc. Stick with the true watchmakers - Patek, AP, RM, Journe.
DR.Golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 01:58 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Patek is merely cutting production. If the 5524 was readily available it wouldn't be selling over list. Ditto 5711 etc

I think it's a good move for the record.

I completely disagree regarding Vacheron but that's not worth arguing here.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 04:32 AM   #38
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Golf View Post

Patek, love them or hate them is at the head of the table. Patek does whatever they want without any concern about other watchmakers, there exists no reason for them to do so. AP is going to price their pieces relative to Patek. Do you believe AP would launch any new watch which would compete directly without first considering how it compares to Patek in every way including price? No way. Would Patek check to see what AP is doing? You get the point. Patek does what Patek wants, no apologies.

As proof I could go on for hours but here is a couple of examples of how Patek does what they want when they want to do it, AND get away with it.
How many steel three hand watches manufactured for more than 10 years sell for 25% over MSRP? How much of a surcharge do you pay for the same watch in Platinum? Seriously $75,000 plus! 5524 sells for as much as $10k over, and it' still in production. Why, because Thierry Stern decides he is going to prove a point after people bash it at launch. Even the IMO ugly little Aquanaut on a rubber band can't be had easily and you pay close to retail. Preowned you are likely paying more than dealer cost when new. Try to sell your preowned VC and you will find out about value retention.

Sorry guys VC is dead. There is no way to force the issue beyond the fact they are dead, - it's now just a brand owned by a conglomerate, no longer an independent. VC doesn't belong in this discussion. Their new designs are now awful. They will simply follow the dregs of the industry over at Richmont, Swatch etc. Stick with the true watchmakers - Patek, AP, RM, Journe.

I guess you hate Rolex also.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 05:28 AM   #39
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapince View Post
You can't compare the 5711 to the 15400, you need to compare it to the 15202, and then the PP is a little more but not so much, just it keeps it's price greatly, even faining, while the AP is keeping nicely but you should loose a little. So no it's not overpriced IMO, if you buy for retail, buy on grey market and yeah it's overpriced
having owned both brands, I think the finished on the movement is very different and if you take a loupe looking closely, then you will know the winner is Patek not AP.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 05:37 AM   #40
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
I guess you hate Rolex also.

I believe Rolex will be included in his list as it is also an independent and value retention is one of if not the best in the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2017, 08:40 AM   #41
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.Golf View Post

A. Lange & Söhne is also owned by Richmont, I guess add them to the awful column as well. One could argue that A. Lange & Söhne is on par or above Patek & AP, in the same category as RM & Journe, in production numbers as well as value retention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
I believe Rolex will be included in his list as it is also an independent and value retention is one of if not the best in the industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Of course, Rolex is the best brand in the world. Other watch brands are complete rubbish compared to Rolex. Just look at how many people wear a Rolex! How many people wear a Patek, AP, RM, Journe? Those watches you never see, therefore value retention is horrible. Hell Roger Federer wears a Rolex and so does Tiger Woods. That's how you know it's the best watch brand in the world.
Old 26 June 2017, 06:18 AM   #42
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I am curious what a 5711 Blue dial would sell for used if they were readily available new at retail. The current aftermarket value we see in large part reflects the fact they are simply not available new. My guess is they would take a 20 percent hit or more. Why buy used, if something can be had new, unless you get a discount on the used item. Value retention is really a matter of supply and demand.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 06:23 AM   #43
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
[QUOTE=Defiancekofb;7706749]A. Lange & Söhne is also owned by Richmont, I guess add them to the awful column as well. One could argue that A. Lange & Söhne is on par or above Patek & AP, in the same category as RM & Journe, in production numbers as well as value retention.

I think Lange has gone down the same road as VC. When these companies sell out to big the conglomerates, the magic seems to evaporate and it shows up in very weak after market sales prices.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 06:30 AM   #44
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
I am curious what a 5711 Blue dial would sell for used if they were readily available new at retail. The current aftermarket value we see in large part reflects the fact they are simply not available new. My guess is they would take a 20 percent hit or more. Why buy used, if something can be had new, unless you get a discount on the used item. Value retention is really a matter of supply and demand.
If they were readily available half the purchasers wouldn't be interested!!!! Half the attraction to many is the fact that it's scarce rather than the merits of the watch
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #45
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Thank you for all of your comments and votes; it's clear from the poll that the group is split right down the middle on this matter!
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:21 AM   #46
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Is Hermes birkin overpriced relative to peers? They are hard to find, just like Nautilus yet 15400 is available everywhere & discounts can be offered.
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:56 AM   #47
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
Of course, Rolex is the best brand in the world. Other watch brands are complete rubbish compared to Rolex. Just look at how many people wear a Rolex! How many people wear a Patek, AP, RM, Journe? Those watches you never see, therefore value retention is horrible. Hell Roger Federer wears a Rolex and so does Tiger Woods. That's how you know it's the best watch brand in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezinhk View Post
Is Hermes birkin overpriced relative to peers? They are hard to find, just like Nautilus yet 15400 is available everywhere & discounts can be offered.
Good comparison
Old 29 June 2017, 02:01 AM   #48
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexlt730512 View Post
having owned both brands, I think the finished on the movement is very different and if you take a loupe looking closely, then you will know the winner is Patek not AP.
Having owned both the 5711 and 15202, I feel exactly the opposite.
yessir69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:19 AM   #49
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not really, it's more like 5711 Nautilus compared to a 15202 AP with the JLC movement. 15202 is not as rare as a 5711 but it does take a few months to acquire one from the AD. So it is like more of a direct comparison.
Old 29 June 2017, 02:23 AM   #50
Ba Ba
"TRF" Member

When I first bought the 3710 16 years ago, everyone thinks it is overpriced, ugly with a weird looking case and most of my friends rather spend the money on Frank Muller, Panerai or Cartier... I am the odd ball who happened to like the nautilus case. To me a Panerai 127 with ETA movement and claimed itself a limited edition (1950pcs!) is definitely overpriced but not the Nautilus!! Just my two cents
Ba Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:18 AM   #51
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
of course is overpriced is a patek and this particular model is maybe a little more overpriced due to the low production and high demand

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:42 AM   #52
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yessir69 View Post
Having owned both the 5711 and 15202, I feel exactly the opposite.
Not sure as I haven't looked at either of my 3120's or either of my 324´s with loupe, not even once, but it seems to me that AP puts more finishing time and effort on the 15202 than on the regular 3120 movements, maybe he was talking about a 3120 vs 324, when I look without loupe both look perfectly finished, but with any magnification, the result might not be the same, so I don't look at them with loupes, the only one which will have this privilege will be the Voutilainen, on that one I will magnify surely a few times
Old 29 June 2017, 06:45 AM   #53
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
If comparing to AP it needs to be the 15202.
agreed
Old 29 June 2017, 10:58 AM   #54
adnjoo
"TRF" Member

overpriced, but worth it. since after you die and pass it on to your spoiled children or grandchildren they will be like 'o m g my dad /grand-dad left me a patek nautilus..'

I don't think you will get the same response with a laureato or a ingenieur..

The only thing cooler would have been a 3700 with the cork box.
adnjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:47 PM   #55
Watch Admirer
Banned

It's all about the brand name, history and appeal to the customer. At a high level, all brands are more or less the same when it comes to finish and movements. As said above, it's the customers who drive the pricing of goods.
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:42 PM   #56
philster
"TRF" Member

Are these prices the most current - I thought the MSRP for the 5990/1a-001 is $57,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmi View Post
I think it is over priced for a simple watch but they succeeded to make it very desirable up to the level that some people pay 35k for them.

Also, isn't the 5711 retail price 21.9 k?

philster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:02 PM   #57
ezinhk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiancekofb View Post
Not really, it's more like 5711 Nautilus compared to a 15202 AP with the JLC movement. 15202 is not as rare as a 5711 but it does take a few months to acquire one from the AD. So it is like more of a direct comparison.
15202 are currently available at every flagship store in HK. Good luck finding a 5711 blue anywhere in the world (flippers excluded).
ezinhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 05:12 PM   #58
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
15202 are currently available at every flagship store in HK. Good luck finding a 5711 blue anywhere in the world (flippers excluded).
Yeah well you did say 15400 first, 15400 can be found at basically any AD within a few weeks if they don't have a specific color you want. 15202 is rarer than a 15400, that's my point. Apples to Apples. Also price range wise the 15202 is similar to the 5711.

Trust me I know agonizing pain of the wait list of a 5711 blue, I have a 50% down payment at my AD for guaranteed delivery early next year.
Old 29 June 2017, 07:53 PM   #59
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
They are all overpriced.

This is not about what I paid it is about what I want.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 08:01 PM   #60
dom007
"TRF" Member

Watch: on the dark side
I don't know any peers...
dom007 is offline   Reply With Quote