The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 June 2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Platona1
Banned

Hublot rose gold ferrari vs Offshore 44mm steel

Hi,
just wanted to see how many people here would actually be interested in that swap with no top-up from either ends. Straight swap.

Would you swap your steel offshore for a rose gold limited edition big bang?

Obviously the attractive aspect is that one is PM and the other not. And considering the MSRP of the Hublot, it makes it a good bang for your buck. I never really like Hublot but that one is worth looking at.

Please feel free to elaborate more.Hublot-BB-Ferrari-_24676-LS_7452_0.jpg

3c8ea47d-44be-4acf-9f12-d041572ee443104.jpg

4287-AP1.JPG

10729205_981738531840637_1379426679_n.jpg
Platona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 10:03 PM   #2
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
The real thing for a wanna be in gold? No way.
Some day one of those AP's will be on my wrist.
Old 26 June 2017, 10:13 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i would not trade an AP in any metal for a PM Hublot (or any Hublot). Its a derivative brand and i prefer the original and not the copy.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 10:21 PM   #4
Platona1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Yeah and then you're going to want something else... 😛
Old 26 June 2017, 10:21 PM   #5
Platona1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i would not trade an AP in any metal for a PM Hublot (or any Hublot). Its a derivative brand and i prefer the original and not the copy.
I see where you're coming from my friend. Cheers,
Old 26 June 2017, 10:28 PM   #6
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platona1 View Post
Yeah and then you're going to want something else... 😛
Are you my wife secretly on TRF unbeknownst to me?
I swear I have heard that repeatedly from her.
I guess immediately researching which watch to buy next the second I walk out of an AD with a new one gives me away.
Old 26 June 2017, 10:29 PM   #7
Platona1
Banned

Quote:
Are you my wife secretly on TRF unbeknownst to me?
I swear I have heard that repeatedly from her.
I guess immediately researching which watch to buy next the second I walk out of an AD with a new one gives me away.
Hahaha glad to see that we are all on the same boat!!!

It is a vice circle but I can assure you that AP design is the one that will keep you satiated for the longest time. Tried most of Rolexes and don't care much for dress watches.
Old 26 June 2017, 10:37 PM   #8
APAP
"TRF" Member

No. Way.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:01 PM   #9
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

No! I don't have a 44mm ROO (yet) but if I did I would never ever swap it for a Hublot.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:06 PM   #10
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
To both of you it could be said AP copied hublot. Hublot started putting PM/steel watches on a rubber strap. After AP saw how popular it was, they copied hublot.

Also pretty sure the big bang was out before the offshore, but I could be wrong. Someone will check that I'm sure.

I'd trade a unico king gold for a steel offshore. Resale that unico king gold big bang will do better than the steel offshore. Plus it looks better. But I wouldn't trade a ferrari design one. Also the king gold unico is worth more second market than the steel offshore.

Too much hating biased view against hublot here. Biver is extremely well respected in the watch community. Arguably around the same level as Genta. Also my king power hublot I had kept time more accurately than my AP did for what it's worth.

I think it's only fair to compare likewise AP to likewise Hublot. If you do it that way, AP wins hands down every time. Next someone is going to post like a tourbillon hublot vs a ladies royal oak, and everyone is going to pick the royal oak just because. I mean, come on......
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:10 PM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
To both of you it could be said AP copied hublot. Hublot started putting PM/steel watches on a rubber strap. After AP saw how popular it was, they copied hublot.

Also pretty sure the big bang was out before the offshore, but I could be wrong. Someone will check that I'm sure.

I'd trade a unico king gold for a steel offshore. Resale that unico king gold big bang will do better than the steel offshore. Plus it looks better. But I wouldn't trade a ferrari design one. Also the king gold unico is worth more second market than the steel offshore.
NO, not even close

Lets start with the origin story. Jean-Claude Biver who worked briefly at AP and then years later ran Hublot spoke in an interview on the Royal Oak origin story. Some think the design is related to a diving helmet, some think it is related to a porthole on a ship. JCB said he thinks it is related to a porthole on a ship which is an important first clue. Even if JCB is incorrect in the Royal Oak origin story, the porthole is definitely the inspiration of the very similar looking Patek Nautilus designed by the same person a few years later.

Hublot was designed from the beginning to rip off the Royal Oak. The word Hublot is French for “porthole” . Their first watch from 1980 was basically a Royal Oak on a strap.

Their two major product lines can be said to be very derivative of AP and they have built almost all of their success off of that. Their original watch from the 1980’s evolved into what is the classic fusion line of today which was relaunched by JCB in 2005 when he took over the company along with the Offshore derivative Big Bang at about the same time.

JCB said himself they are similar and he also said he likes the comparison of the Hublot to the design of the Royal Oak and Nautilus because it “it elevates Hublot to their level” by having them all in the same discussion.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:11 PM   #12
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
No but I also would never own nor wear a Hublot.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:25 PM   #13
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I'm not a "Hublot snob", as I think they do have some (not many, but some) innovative things.

But, I wouldn't make this trade, as I can't get comfortable with the Ferrari co-branding.
Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:27 PM   #14
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
This
Old 26 June 2017, 11:28 PM   #15
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I own neither, but to my eye the Hublot looks kinda tacky with Ferrari printed on the side, etc. I would stick with AP, a known and classic brand. No offense intended.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:32 PM   #16
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Quote:
NO, not even close

Lets start with the origin story. Jean-Claude Biver who worked briefly at AP and then years later ran Hublot spoke in an interview on the Royal Oak origin story. Some think the design is related to a diving helmet, some think it is related to a porthole on a ship. JCB said he thinks it is related to a porthole on a ship which is an important first clue. Even if JCB is incorrect in the Royal Oak origin story, the porthole is definitely the inspiration of the very similar looking Patek Nautilus designed by the same person a few years later.

Hublot was designed from the beginning to rip off the Royal Oak. The word Hublot is French for “porthole” . Their first watch from 1980 was basically a Royal Oak on a strap.

Their two major product lines can be said to be very derivative of AP and they have built almost all of their success off of that. Their original watch from the 1980’s evolved into what is the classic fusion line of today which was relaunched by JCB in 2005 when he took over the company along with the Offshore derivative Big Bang at about the same time.

JCB said himself they are similar and he also said he likes the comparison of the Hublot to the design of the Royal Oak and Nautilus because it “it elevates Hublot to their level” by having them all in the same discussion.
This is what I had read on the subject.

I don't hate Hublot. I find them interesting as well but to my knowledge of the two, and personal taste, AP all the way.

I guess when you go on a site like David SW regularly that deals in so many high end watches and you never see a singl Hublot, yet lots of AP's come and go, and then the same with Takuya's site, it speaks volumes to me.
Old 26 June 2017, 11:33 PM   #17
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
/thread
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 11:44 PM   #18
Andrés G
"TRF" Member

Not in a million years. Keep the AP.
Andrés G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:00 AM   #19
roger0770
Banned

Watch: A Few
Which do you like better? Aside from the watch being precious metal, what else do you like about that? I think it's important to go back to the basics and ask yourself what you like more. Personally I wouldn't do the trade because I like the Offshore look better. Simple as that. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
roger0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:18 AM   #20
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by hl65 View Post
no but i also would never own nor wear a hublot.

+3
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:23 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I compared an Ice Bang with a ROO a few years ago and found the ROO to feel more substantive and more finely detailed so even apart from the derivation I would pick an AP.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:29 AM   #22
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I compared an Ice Bang with a ROO a few years ago

With a name like that, whats not to love

I struggled for years with the idea of a Daytona because i really don't like NASCAR racing at all, and didn't want a watch with "daytona" written on the dial. It really killed the watch for me for a long time.

I think it will take significantly longer for me to be ok with having an incoming "Ice Bang"
Old 27 June 2017, 01:01 AM   #23
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
It's like trading your Ferrari for a Gold painted VW Bug. Nope.
Old 27 June 2017, 01:29 AM   #24
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
I just read the word Hublot on your thread and thought whatever AP is he icomparing doesn't matter can't go Hublot. Then i thought I know I have a pretty bad conception of Hublot and I am being very Bias, but then I see the Ferrari Co-branding and think "yup my first bias impression was right". Panerai do a similar co-branding with them and I dislike those Ferrari-Paneari as well. Maybe this thread needs a Hublot lover to counter a lil , but thats another difficult task as well

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 02:59 AM   #25
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Personally I would never do that.

The only Hublot I like is that denim Big Bang as it matches my cut offs and Daisy Dukes.

Oddly the Wife all of a sudden wants a PM Hublot Fusion with stones but that is probably because she sees it as a trendy fashion item.

I cannot stress enough that I would positively never trade an AP though for a Hublot.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 05:18 AM   #26
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
I also would not make the trade...the AP ROO you have is awesome. I am also not a huge fan of the Ferrari branding unless of course you drive a Ferrari!

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:48 AM   #27
Manofsteelpt
"TRF" Member

The very fact that you could make the trade should tell you all you need to know.
Old 27 June 2017, 11:06 AM   #28
Chary
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15407ST
absolutely NOT!
Chary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:22 AM   #29
nick c
Banned

I also don't like hublot. AP all day long
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:03 PM   #30
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
NO, not even close

This is true. But Genta did design the royal oak from the navy diving helmets. It's not something some think. It's even in the AP history book that a lot of people buy.

I was just saying the rubber strap on a PM watch was first started by hublot which is true. AP only was interested in luxury steel watches at the time. After they saw the success of the rubber strap, they made the offshore line.

And yes JCB said all of this in the hodinkee interview you are referencing with the quotes.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote