The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 February 2009, 06:39 AM   #61
kudosguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Well it won't stop me showing in mine.
kudosguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 10:01 AM   #62
Troy
Banned

Watch: Tudor Sub. 7928
watchmaker you smoking the same stuff as the op'S ad?
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 10:47 AM   #63
bradg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M,GMT1675,
Well said parachrom...
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 10:51 AM   #64
GregB

But Navy Guide Said NOT to wear in hot tub or shower!

Xenophon -

The diver guide you posted a few pages back says NOT to wear the diver in the hot tub or shower.

Is that the point you meant to make?

- GregB
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 10:52 AM   #65
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Let us all boil our Rolexes!

You first!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 10:57 AM   #66
FlyingMoose
"TRF" Member

The reasoning I've heard is that soap will break the surface tension of the grease on the seals and let water into the watch. So perhaps it's not the heat, but the soap.
FlyingMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 01:22 PM   #67
Kokyuryoku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sundial
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMoose View Post
The reasoning I've heard is that soap will break the surface tension of the grease on the seals and let water into the watch. So perhaps it's not the heat, but the soap.
Hmmmm but Rolex itself states on their website that you should 'occassionally wash the metal bracelet and case with warm soapy water'

Omega 3570.50 (77mil) Rolex 16610 (V) Rolex 1601 (1966) Seiko BM
Kokyuryoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 02:36 PM   #68
ilan

I had also been warned by every single watchmaker I've talked to that a shower or bath would heat up the gaskets and ruin the watertightness. I think one of them was trying to explain why my Tag diver's watch started taking water in. Back in 2005 I was at the Holiday Inn, Corpus Christi TX and there was a guy in the whirlpool with a Rolex sub and when I "warned" him, he told me that he had always worn it in jacuzzis without any problem.

Anyway, this year, I started having deep thoughts about this exact question, and came to the conclusion that there is no way that a shower could do any harm, and it was unlikely that a bath or jacuzzi could either. The reason is that the watch is normally at 28C temperature (sorry for the English units people, that's 80F) which is the normal temperature of your skin at the wrist, while a shower or bath is at about 38C (100F) so not a huge differential. By comparison, normal use of a dive watch is to have it out in the Sun where it can heat up to 40+C then immediately dive into 20-C water. Note that water conducts heat much more than air and metal even more, so the watch has to be able to withstand this almost instantaneous heat transfer. Paradoxically, even more heat exchange will occur when swimming the crawl (freestyle) in which the watch is exposed to a heat differential at every stroke than in diving underwater.

To add to this, the ISO 6425 watertightness tests http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_642...tches_standard (not used by Rolex, but probably similar to in house testing according to what the Rolex rep below told me) includes resistance to thermal shock: "Immersion of the watch in 30 cm ± 2 cm of water at the following temperatures for 10 minutes each, 40°C, 5°C and 40°C again. The time of transition from one immersion to the other shall not exceed 1 min. No evidence of water intrusion or condensation is allowed."

Armed with this knowledge, I went to the main Paris Rolex store and asked them about showers and bath with a submariner. The head honcho told me that there would not be a problem (for reasons similar to the ones I gave). He also said that if there were a problem, that is, water coming in to the watch, you simply had to immediately go to a dealer who would take care of it, the watch would recover completely after being serviced. As I said, he told me that exposure to 40C water was nothing compared to the torture tests he witnessed at the factory, and finally, he said that almost all problems with water intrusion were from unscrewed crowns. Remember, this guy was the manager of the biggest dedicated Rolex store in Paris.

I don't want to be mean, but my conclusion is that watchmakers who repair watches do not have much understanding of basic physics nor have they much information on the ISO watch standards. I have yet to meet a salesperson who knows about the ISO standard, in any case, it seems to be used mostly by Seiko and other Japanese companies.

-ilan
ilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 03:12 PM   #69
ilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Your AD is mistaken..
You cannot get your shower or a hot-tub hot enough to do any harm to your Sub..

Here in the desert, a normal day in the summer is hotter than a hot-tub ever gets..
Sorry, but your reasoning is incorrect. First of all, heat transfer of air is much lower than water (that's why you insulate yourself layering clothes which produce small layers of air), so a watch on your wrist exposed to air will most likely stay close to your skin temperature (about 80F) even though the air temperature is very different. On the other hand, if you put your wrist in water, the watch will rapidly attain water temperature. Secondly, the problem is not just the heat but the rate at which heat is transferred. As usual, a sudden small change is worse than a very gradual large change, so the thermal shock could produce damage.

Despite this, your conclusions are all correct :).

-ilan
Old 20 February 2009, 03:24 PM   #70
DanP
Banned

Watch: GV-U-Kno-Me :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplock View Post
Yes, the submariner is extremely fragile. Take it off when showering, watering the lawn, if it's raining, foggy, if you're crying, etc. To be safe, the submariner should only be worn in bed where it's safe and dry.

what if you have a waterbed???
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 03:28 PM   #71
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Look what CharlesN did to a PLAT DAY-DATE...

other OYSTERS; and mind you without batting an eye !

Take a guess what this is~
Forget about boiling em ~ take a guess !
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 03:30 PM   #72
ilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeya View Post
funny i was told not to wear my diving watch when taking a shower by an AD too. The reason they gave me is that the steam from the shower can penetrate the watch. basically, the point AD made was that the watch is water proof but not steam proof. (i assume because the steam is a much finer partical)
Steam = vapor and there is a constant water vapor exchange from water to air, this is why spilled water will quickly evaporate. If I'm not mistaken, the amount of water vapor in air is usually referred to as "humidity". I haven't measured it, but I doubt that the humidity in a shower is much above 100% and maybe I'm being stupid, but I suspect that, by definition, it can't be higher than 100%. Anyway, 100% humidity is a common value in certain areas of the world, including much of the United States (even if you also require a 100F air temperature, as in a hot shower), not to mention tropical jungles (so James Bond would have had to take his submariner off during jungle duty). Try drying wet clothes on a 100% humidity day and see what happens, there is too much vapor in the air to absorb any more from the clothes.

You can check out whether I'm right or have made all of it up by looking here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity

-ilan
Old 20 February 2009, 03:59 PM   #73
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Guys, relax. The short and simple fact is that a Submariner can and will take the kinds of normal use and abuse we would impart on it.

I dive with mine all the time, and sometimes it sits on my wrist in the full sunlight getting warm and cozy with the air temperature of around 30C and then straight into 25C water. It has never ever failed to keep water out.

And ilan, I livein the tropics where the humidity often exceeds 100%. We have no problem drying our clothes here. When the breeze catches the clothes, the vapour joins the air. It is possible to have saturation in the air, but then again, it's in the air.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 04:24 PM   #74
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I would like to support the AD here.
Whilst you are unlikely do damage a divers watch in a hot shower, it is possible.

The warmth of the water CAN be enough to create a slight pressure difference between the inside and outside of the case.

Then, when moveing to a cooler area, eg, out of the shower, causes another, and rapid pressure change, resulting in a slight vacuum.

Any water around the crown can be sucked in.

Like I said, this is rare, but is 100% possible, and is the reason you are advised not to wear the watch in hot water.
Give me a break. While most anything can happen, lets get real when it comes to probability, basic laws of physics & the engineering of a Sub. Do you have any idea the amount of pressure difference that would have to be created to 'suck water around the crown'? That degree of pressure sure as heck is not going to be created in Joe Diver's hot shower followed by cool air dry off.

The last thing I would be doing is saying I defend anyone that makes a ridiculous claim such as this AD. If I heard this in person I'm sure I would have a hard time resisting a blatant laugh directly in the guys face. As I said, I guess you can hide behind the 'anything is possible' idea, but that doesn't mean one should throw common sense out the window. Heck, I could hit the next lotto I play...but god knows I don't think it's really going to happen. Cheers.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 04:40 PM   #75
Jedi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by moby33 View Post
Give me a break. While most anything can happen, lets get real when it comes to probability, basic laws of physics & the engineering of a Sub. Do you have any idea the amount of pressure difference that would have to be created to 'suck water around the crown'? That degree of pressure sure as heck is not going to be created in Joe Diver's hot shower followed by cool air dry off.

The last thing I would be doing is saying I defend anyone that makes a ridiculous claim such as this AD. If I heard this in person I'm sure I would have a hard time resisting a blatant laugh directly in the guys face. As I said, I guess you can hide behind the 'anything is possible' idea, but that doesn't mean one should throw common sense out the window. Heck, I could hit the next lotto I play...but god knows I don't think it's really going to happen. Cheers.
PRessure is constant between the shower and open air. Pressure in the case should be constant because of the gasket. It depends on the gasket. Has anyone here bothered to ask the gasket what it's thermal expansion coefficient is?

The case will not deform under the temperature differences described here.

A lot of the conjectures here are getting a little silly, but still entertaining.

Moby I agree with you.

Let the show roll on.

Careful one doesn't roll over one's Sub. I just got out of the shower with mine and she's looking good.

This is my watch. There are many like it but this one is mine...

Flickr
Blog
Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 04:51 PM   #76
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
PRessure is constant between the shower and open air. Pressure in the case should be constant because of the gasket. It depends on the gasket. Has anyone here bothered to ask the gasket what it's thermal expansion coefficient is?

The case will not deform under the temperature differences described here.

A lot of the conjectures here are getting a little silly, but still entertaining.

Moby I agree with you.

Let the show roll on.

Careful one doesn't roll over one's Sub. I just got out of the shower with mine and she's looking good.
LOL.

I'll admit I think I've said to myself about 10 times on this thread, "Why am I still reading?" Probably because I can't stop looking at train wrecks! You're much more diplomatic in your use of the word "entertaining" when it comes to describing some of the conjectures...personally, I thought a more appropriate (albeit much less tactful) word would be "idiotic". Cheers.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 05:15 PM   #77
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Probably the funniest thread I have read for a long time.

The chemical, pressure, water temperature and hot tub (haha) etc. resistance of a properly maintained Rolex surpasses most intelects. Ha, I run 40% hydroxide through the same 'O' ring material on my chemical dosing pumps.

Watchmaker - for the second time - don't make me come over there.

The young Rolex sales assistant at my AD said exactly the same thing to me last week.

'Don't wear your Rolex when we are in the shower'

Ha, what would she know........nothing.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 07:22 PM   #78
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
Xenophon -

The diver guide you posted a few pages back says NOT to wear the diver in the hot tub or shower.

Is that the point you meant to make?

- GregB
Yes. Obviously the notion of gasket/case expansion in hot water existed.
Old 20 February 2009, 07:49 PM   #79
ilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Yes. Obviously the notion of gasket/case expansion in hot water existed.
So are you going to wear your Rolex during your Thalassotherapie?

-ilan
Old 20 February 2009, 08:42 PM   #80
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilan View Post
So are you going to wear your Rolex during your Thalassotherapie?

-ilan
If I was in the Royal Navy, would I be allowed to ?
Old 20 February 2009, 10:19 PM   #81
Omega_Precision
Banned

Watch: ing basketball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokyuryoku View Post
Hmmmm but Rolex itself states on their website that you should 'occassionally wash the metal bracelet and case with warm soapy water'
Rolex also said that it takes a year to make one of their watch.
Omega_Precision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2009, 11:49 PM   #82
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Dunno bout that.... but mine seems to be fine after 5 months of wrist time?!?! :-)
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 12:32 AM   #83
KJacques
"TRF" Member

Watch: the skies
I can't believe anyone even thinks about whether it's harmful to take a Rolex Oyster in a hot shower or hot tub knowing the level of construction of these watches. These were concerns that have never entered my mind before reading this site so I'm surprised that they pop up so much and are even defended!

After over 3 decades of personally wearing Rolex watches during every shower and every hot tub visit and thousands of car washing sessions...not to mention long intervals between services...there has never been any compromise with any of my watches, or my wife's or any Rolex worn by any family member during the 40 years I've been around them. This includes many Datejusts and Day-Dates as well.

Stop obsessing and fretting over these things!
KJacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2009, 01:33 AM   #84
ilan

I talked to Girard-Perregaux customer service in La Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland, today, and the person said that their dive watches were tested under all conditions and quickly agreed with the statement made here that their watch can withstand anything that the owner who is wearing it can. She also sent me a press release with an image of one of their testing machines which reproduces temperatures from -40C to 180C and humidity from 0% to 98%. Their watches will definitely take abuse.

I believe that it is clear that the same holds true for a Rolex Submariner. To make sure, all you have to do is call customer relations at their Swiss headquarters.

-ilan
Old 21 February 2009, 02:15 AM   #85
FLAJIM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub
OK, I can't see why you would want to shower with the watch on, but to each his own My question is can a Sea Dweller handle less then 104 F and less that 3 feet in a hot tub with hot tub chemials for and hour or so with out damage ??? After I get out I always wash off with fresh water.

Thanks JIM
FLAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 01:33 AM   #86
Yzord
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Gibeon watch
To get this old topic alive again (and sorry if this is against the rules, hope not)

Quote:
While it may be water resistant, there are still many watery places a Rolex watch should not go. For example, hot tubs and showers are tempting places to take a Rolex, as they are not deep, thus offer not threat to the watch. However, the heat of the water in a hot tub or shower could cause major damage to the watch. Rather than worrying about water penetrating the case, one should be concerned about a gasket losing its shape, thus allowing water to enter the watch. Soap suds can also cause damage, reducing the surface tension of the rubber gaskets in the watch, allows water to get in. Soap could also potentially harm the exterior finish of the watch. Thus, wearing of a Rolex in hot tubs and showers should be avoided. If a slight or moderate fog appears under the watch’s crystal, the interior of the watch has been penetrated. To hopefully stop the damage, pull the crown to stop the watch’s movement. As soon as possible, take the watch to a certified Rolex dealer for assessment.
https://www.bobswatches.com/watch-re...-rolex-watches
Yzord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 01:52 AM   #87
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Are you guys timing your conditioner intervals or something? I get that you can, but I never considered not taking it off any more than I'd leave my sunglasses on.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:01 AM   #88
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
So buy a very tough watch, then hide it under a rug?
Uhtred59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:13 AM   #89
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzord View Post
To get this old topic alive again (and sorry if this is against the rules, hope not)

https://www.bobswatches.com/watch-re...-rolex-watches
If it's from Bob's it must be true.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2017, 03:29 AM   #90
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
If it's from Bob's it must be true.
It is too bad that some folks will read this and believe that it could be true.