The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 29 December 2009, 09:36 AM   #1
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Icon11 Pen Newbie

Hi guys, this is my second post in the pen forum. My dad passed me down this great Montblanc Meisterstuck FP No 74, and I don't see them very often. My grandpa bought it in Hong Kong a while back. I know that they were made from '59 to the late 60s, and they were some of the highest pens made in the line back in time. But I have no clue how to use it! I know you can unscrew the nib, and you can unscrew the back. Here are some pictures:
It really is a beautiful pen.

kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
You are one lucky kid. Do you know that? Rolexes and Mont Blancs at 14 years old? At that age, I had no idea what these things were. I just wanted to ride my skateboard. It will be interesting to see what toys you will have acquired by the time you're 21!
Old 29 December 2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Sweramic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Movies
My lawyer tells me they're fake, so I can't help you...

You have two very beautiful pens Kyle! Unfortunately, I can't advise you how to use them. When you or anyone else figure that out I want a writing sample!
Sweramic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
When you get a chance, drop by the Fountain pen hospital in downtown NYC (10 Warren St). Knowledgeable staff will show you how to work those Mbs.
Old 29 December 2009, 10:42 AM   #5
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffi Abernathy View Post
You are one lucky kid. Do you know that? Rolexes and Mont Blancs at 14 years old? At that age, I had no idea what these things were. I just wanted to ride my skateboard. It will be interesting to see what toys you will have acquired by the time you're 21!
Tell me about it
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Kyle, That is a beauty. Put some ink in it and give us a handwriting sample.
Old 29 December 2009, 01:21 PM   #7
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1@160@alltimes View Post
When you get a chance, drop by the Fountain pen hospital in downtown NYC (10 Warren St). Knowledgeable staff will show you how to work those Mbs.
I think it's by city hall? I'll try to take a trip down this week.
Old 29 December 2009, 01:31 PM   #8
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Nice pen Kyle. It looks like you have disassembled the ink view window from the pen.
Do not fill it up with ink until you get a proper pen repair person having a look at it, or you may get ink everywhere

Also, I would be cautious using those ink. They are printed "W Germany" that's like 20 years ago at least.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 01:38 PM   #9
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Nice pen Kyle. It looks like you have disassembled the ink view window from the pen.
Do not fill it up with ink until you get a proper pen repair person having a look at it, or you may get ink everywhere

Also, I would be cautious using those ink. They are printed "W Germany" that's like 20 years ago at least.
Thanks, I don't want to make a mess. I put the pen back together, so now it's one solid piece. I think I'll go to get it checked out before anyone uses it. Also, I opened the ink, and the seal was still on it! I'm kind of surprised, I thought my grandfather used the pen. In the past, the nib was repaired by Montblanc, and I still have the service papers, which are like 20 years old.
Old 29 December 2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Mrdi
Banned

Very cool Kyle. If you lived in Calif. I would be glad to help you out.
The Fountain Pen Hospital is a spectacular place to go for help. I have done business with them and they are most gracious. You will be welcomed there.
Like a Rolex the most pleasure is derived from use of the pen. You'll be amazed how dependable and elegant fountains are.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 10:10 PM   #11
Shangas

Watch: 1957 Ball RR watch
Hi Kyle,

You have a very nice Montblanc piston-filler fountain pen. Piston-fillers can be a bit finicky, so I back the others and suggest to get the pen looked at by a professional first, before you fill it up and use it.

With regards to the ink:

As 2Careless said, the ink is at least 20 years old ("West Germany" on the bottle). But you say that the seal's never been broken. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe to use.

Check the ink for the following:

1. Sediment.

Is there anything nasty settling at the bottom of the bottle? Yes. Chuck it out. If it can settle in the bottle, it can settle in your pen. And that will clog it.

2. Fungus.

Yes, sometimes ink can have fungus in it. Not pretty. Chuck it out. Once you get fungus in your pen, it takes AGES to clean it out. Check for fungus by opening the bottle and looking for floating sediment, or an off-smell (although this being INK, it can smell off anyway!) If there's any fungus, dispose of the ink at once.

3. Evaporation.

Just because the bottle's never been opened doesn't mean that the ink can't have evaporated over the 20 years since this was new. You can tell simply by looking at the bottle and noting if there are any level-stains on it, to see where the ink once might have been filled up to. You can reconstitute the ink with water if this has happened, but it should be done carefully - Add a little bit of water at a time.

If the ink has none of these, then it's probably safe to use. Give it a shake and fill up your pen.
Shangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 11:50 PM   #12
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
I think it's by city hall? I'll try to take a trip down this week.
FPH is very customer oriented shop - you'll like them.
Pick up thier 2010 calender - it's very nice.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2009, 01:17 AM   #13
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
Hi Kyle,

You have a very nice Montblanc piston-filler fountain pen. Piston-fillers can be a bit finicky, so I back the others and suggest to get the pen looked at by a professional first, before you fill it up and use it.

With regards to the ink:

As 2Careless said, the ink is at least 20 years old ("West Germany" on the bottle). But you say that the seal's never been broken. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe to use.

Check the ink for the following:

1. Sediment.

Is there anything nasty settling at the bottom of the bottle? Yes. Chuck it out. If it can settle in the bottle, it can settle in your pen. And that will clog it.

2. Fungus.

Yes, sometimes ink can have fungus in it. Not pretty. Chuck it out. Once you get fungus in your pen, it takes AGES to clean it out. Check for fungus by opening the bottle and looking for floating sediment, or an off-smell (although this being INK, it can smell off anyway!) If there's any fungus, dispose of the ink at once.

3. Evaporation.

Just because the bottle's never been opened doesn't mean that the ink can't have evaporated over the 20 years since this was new. You can tell simply by looking at the bottle and noting if there are any level-stains on it, to see where the ink once might have been filled up to. You can reconstitute the ink with water if this has happened, but it should be done carefully - Add a little bit of water at a time.

If the ink has none of these, then it's probably safe to use. Give it a shake and fill up your pen.
Thanks Shangas. I'm definitely not touching the pen now. The ink looks fine, no residue on the inside, but I think it's better to be safe than sorry.