The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 15 July 2010, 04:45 AM   #1
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub5513 / Choc1675
Icon10 Look what I got! Rolex Explorer Ref 6098

I just had to show you guys...and gals what I got today!

1952 Rolex Explorer Ref: 6098 ... A very early example of an Explorer!

I put a new band on it and runs great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04788.jpg (79.3 KB, 1888 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04785.jpg (73.7 KB, 1828 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04789.jpg (78.1 KB, 1813 views)
Old 15 July 2010, 05:20 AM   #2
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Never seen me one of those before. Quite nice!
Old 15 July 2010, 08:07 AM   #3
bb3188
"TRF" Member

nice watch there but...........

........ I dont think this model is from 1952 ?
The name Explorer was registered in 1953 and most examples seen wth the word "Explorer" written on the dial began in the second half of 1953....
If you get the chance, I would be interested to see a pic of the case back and the date stamp....................

Lovely watch all the same, well done !

Mark
bb3188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2010, 08:28 AM   #4
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbrass3188 View Post
........ I dont think this model is from 1952 ?
The name Explorer was registered in 1953 and most examples seen wth the word "Explorer" written on the dial began in the second half of 1953....
If you get the chance, I would be interested to see a pic of the case back and the date stamp....................

Lovely watch all the same, well done !

Mark
The Serial number dictates it's a 1952. I'm in the process of doing more indepth research on this particular Rolex. Interesting to say the least.

The Explorer was based on the already existing tough and hard wearing bubbleback, which has been modified by Rolex for the more active and adventurous customer. In 1952, the references 6098 and 6150 (both using the A296 movement) were in fact the first prototypes of Explorer to be used by climbers; they were watches with white dials and leaf shaped hands and did not bear the name Explorer yet. In 1953, these models became the references 6298 and 6350 when they were fitted with the typical Explorer-type 3-6-9 Arabic dial and later with the Mercedes hands.....
Old 15 July 2010, 09:47 AM   #5
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Hi Donald,
the serial range is a bit of a subjective this as cases were made in batches ie the case could have been made earlier than the watch.
Any chance you could pop open ( unscrew) the caseback...... If it was original to the watch ( as opposed to a serviced caseback) there is a model ref stamp (6098) as well as a date stamp ie 111.52 ...... would be great if you could post a pic of this .

rgds

Mark
Old 15 July 2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Lol-x
Facilitator

Nice Explorer, very different than the Explorer of today.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
robsteve
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGoldExchange View Post
The Serial number dictates it's a 1952. I'm in the process of doing more indepth research on this particular Rolex. Interesting to say the least.

The Explorer was based on the already existing tough and hard wearing bubbleback, which has been modified by Rolex for the more active and adventurous customer. In 1952, the references 6098 and 6150 (both using the A296 movement) were in fact the first prototypes of Explorer to be used by climbers; they were watches with white dials and leaf shaped hands and did not bear the name Explorer yet. In 1953, these models became the references 6298 and 6350 when they were fitted with the typical Explorer-type 3-6-9 Arabic dial and later with the Mercedes hands.....
Donald:

Where did you get the research on the early Exlplorers? I haven't found much on the net, mostly the same quote from James Dowling's books.

Here is my 6150 with a white face. It has always been in my family since new. The face was refinished in the 1980's. I notice that yours has the 12, plus the smaller Rolex crown under it, similar to mine.

Robert

robsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 12:47 AM   #8
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

The information I'm finding on the net is vague at best. Trying to find an exact visual model as this one. I will be opening the back up today as my technician is here and I will photograph the inside of the back.

Any help will be great appreciated. I may not restore the watch, as I know some collectors like 'as-is' condition. Being a possible historic piece I want to be very careful with any, if at all...restoration.

The other information I found on the original prototype Explorer's is they didn't have the word Explorer on the dial. ...And I found this is what is called an Explorer Dress.

When I have time today, I'll pull some info with references to see what you guys think. I'm a history buff, so this is also fun for me.
Old 16 July 2010, 12:58 AM   #9
jdc
"TRF" Member

it will be interesting to see what you turn up. Hands don't look right to me and the oyster and perpetual being on different lines look strange as is the positioning of the word explorer

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...098&sort=match
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 01:24 AM   #10
bb3188
"TRF" Member

the caseback will certainly be interesting....

....... would be great if you could post a pic..........

That is correct that the early prototype Explorer did not come with the word Explorer...... that was registered in jan 1953 and adopted in the second half of the year ( after the success of the mount everest summit in may) and yes, the version you have is a dress explorer. Here is a pic of a prototype Explorer with the black dial...

It would be interesting if your Explorer was manufactured in 1952 as this will change some long held beliefs........

rgds

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shot 3.jpg (62.3 KB, 1689 views)

Last edited by bb3188; 16 July 2010 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: amendments
Old 16 July 2010, 02:26 AM   #11
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

I'm still looking for another one like mine, but here is some info from Christie's...

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5130488
Old 16 July 2010, 02:35 AM   #12
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Here are a couple of photos of the movement and the inside of the case back.

What do you think?

I'm still searching for an exact matching photo of the one I have...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04791.jpg (62.4 KB, 1678 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04792.jpg (85.8 KB, 1681 views)
Old 16 July 2010, 02:41 AM   #13
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
Wow! Nice! Clean movement too! It just needs a new crystal! Great Find, Donald!
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 02:59 AM   #14
RLX-lvr
"TRF" Member

Post some of those pics over at VRF, and you might find some more info on your vintage piece.
RLX-lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 04:31 AM   #15
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Here is some additional info I found....from http://swisswristco.blogspot.com/200...1_archive.html

The Rolex Explorer was designed to suit the extreme conditions of a variety of different expeditions. It is evident from the fact that the two prototypes of the Explorer, numbered 6098 and 6150, were given to the members of the British Himalayas expedition team on May 29 in 1953, when they set out to conquer Mt. Everest's 29,035 ft. The soon to be released Explorer, model 6098, was given to the expedition member Tenzing Norgay, and it performed without fail. The name “Explorer” was adopted for the model after the widely publicized success of the expedition.
Initial Design

An attribute that makes the Rolex Explorer one of the most recognizable models is its dial. The earliest Explorer, model 6098, featured a white dial with arrow-shaped hour markers and hands while model 6150 looked exceptionally distinct with its black “Quarter Arabic” dial with only the 3-6-9 marked with numerals. In addition, it featured large Mercedes style hands. Later, model 6098 (renumbered as the 6298) was equipped with the famous black Quarter Arabic dial, although retaining the arrow shaped hands. The name “Explorer” appeared for the first time on the dial of model 6150 (renumbered as the 6350), positioned just above the numeral 6. In addition, these models used the “big bubbleback 10-1/2” A.296 movement. The early 6350 dials had a honeycombed texture with “Officially Certified Chronometer” signed just above the number 6. However, the popularity of model 6150 overshadowed the look of model 6350. The former was larger than the latter by 2mm and was only available as a precision model.
...Later, Rolex used certain attributes of the Rolex Explorer with a few other models, not easily recognizable as Explorers. For instance, in the late 1950s, Rolex introduced a version of the Air King with model number 5500 which had an Explorer dial. These watches were believed to be targeted at British military officers. This dress watch had a slightly smaller size and featured a 19mm bracelet instead of the 20mm in standard Explorer models. In addition, the dial was marked "Precision" or "Super Precision" above the number 6. Rolex also released the standard Oyster Perpetual in steel or gold with white or black non-Explorer dials. These were signed "Explorer".

By the way this Explorer measures 20mm between the lugs.
Old 16 July 2010, 06:05 AM   #16
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
I am not in a position to comment about the exact age of your watch (which is magnificent, by the way), but here is some additional information for you.

First, as indicated, the "Explorer" name was not registered until January 1953. The registration date is generally accepted as the earliest date that Rolex used a particular name, but it doesn't have to be. It is possible that Rolex used the name Explorer on the dial of a Ref. 6098 manufactured in the fourth quarter of 1952. It is also possible that the case back was stamped in the fourth quarter of 1952 but the watch was not fully assembled until mid-1953 as Rolex was rushing to use the Explorer name to capitalize on the conquest of Mt. Everest.

Second, the Rolex watch that Sir Edmund Hillary wore on Mt. Everest (but not to the summit) did not have a model name. Here are some photos of the original watch: http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/1997/0...ating-250.html

Third, the Rolex watches were provided to the British Everest Expedition on January 25-26, 1953, when the expedition leader visited Switzerland to meet with Rolex and other sponsors. Tenzing Norgay acquired his Rolex watch from a member of the Swiss Expedition, which failed to reach the summit shortly before the British Expedition. The Swiss Expedition was similarly equipped by Rolex.

This is an excellent reference on all things Rolex Explorer and mt. Everest: http://rolexblog.blogspot.com/search...nzing%20Norgay
Old 16 July 2010, 08:27 AM   #17
Aitken-Smith

Watch: ROLEX & PANERAI
Dear Donald, Your watch is the fourth quarter of 1952. It is cal.775 movement A296. You will probably find that there is a little rotor-shake, i.e. the automatic movement is slightly noisy. The luminous markers are Radium and this is not a dress explorer but a pre-cursor to the named explorer and was the watch that was taken up Everest by some of the expedition. It is known as a semi-bubbleback.

Even the ones marked precision are probably chronometer rated, depending on the number of jewels and type of jewel attachment. They keep excellent time and are extremely robust having 20mm lugs and a two piece case { the bezel is fixed}.

The A296 movement was also the precursor to the short lived 1030 movement.

The Rolex 6098 in any form is a valuable watch but most valued with a gold star dial {stern creations Geneve SA}.

It is now quite rare and should be regarded as important as an early Submariner.

regards stephen
Aitken-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 09:49 AM   #18
basmannen

Imho Rolex decided to reuse the name Explorer in theire marketing.
The name Explorer had been used by Rolex in the 1940´s in a small case model Likely Canadian market.(Such a watch was sold by Sotheby´s London around 1997.)
Rolex Oystermodels are a lot about names such as Airlion, Deep Sea (yes already used in the the 1950´s).

Basmannen
basmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 03:02 PM   #19
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmannen View Post
Imho Rolex decided to reuse the name Explorer in theire marketing.
The name Explorer had been used by Rolex in the 1940´s in a small case model Likely Canadian market.(Such a watch was sold by Sotheby´s London around 1997.)
Rolex Oystermodels are a lot about names such as Airlion, Deep Sea (yes already used in the the 1950´s).

Basmannen
Dont disagree that the name explorer was used before in a different context in early model Rolexes....... nothwithstanding in this context (with regards to ref 6150,6350,6098 etc etc), the use of the name Explorer was in commemoration of the successful summit of Mt Everest in 1953...........

If this dial is original to the watch (and Donald, I am not suggesting otherwise) then this would be out of sinc with current prevailing thought ie the name for these watches were registered in Jan 1953 and the actual use of the name on the watch itself began in the second half of 1953 (ie 3rd and 4th quarter 1953) as the caseback on this watch suggest it was built in 1952.

Donald, is there any chance of a clear dial shot minus the crystal ? sorry for being intrusive but this watch is quite interesting to me.

rgds

Mark
Old 16 July 2010, 06:12 PM   #20
Nicko
Banned

Wow, simply amazing! I'm waiting in anticipation to find out what our friend Donald has in his hot little hands. This place is awesome.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 08:59 PM   #21
Aitken-Smith

Watch: ROLEX & PANERAI
Quote:
Dont disagree that the name explorer was used before in a different context in early model Rolexes....... nothwithstanding in this context (with regards to ref 6150,6350,6098 etc etc), the use of the name Explorer was in commemoration of the successful summit of Mt Everest in 1953...........

If this dial is original to the watch (and Donald, I am not suggesting otherwise) then this would be out of sinc with current prevailing thought ie the name for these watches were registered in Jan 1953 and the actual use of the name on the watch itself began in the second half of 1953 (ie 3rd and 4th quarter 1953) as the caseback on this watch suggest it was built in 1952.

Donald, is there any chance of a clear dial shot minus the crystal ? sorry for being intrusive but this watch is quite interesting to me.

rgds

Mark
Dear Mark, It might be possible that the dial and case are not contemporanious, i.e. the watch could have been assembled in say late or middle 1953 on the watch case of an earlier date i.e 1V 52. The new explorer dial could have used an older stock case..... If possible it would be interesting to find out when the watch left the factory to the Rolex dealership.

The explanation is probably as simple as this.... after all it was only a few years after the War and things were still pretty chaotic in Europe.

Regards Stephen
Aitken-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 10:47 PM   #22
basmannen

Quote:

Mark
Rolex was one amongst 50 or more companies sponsoring the summit.
National Geografic had a very large article (1953) with many photos. None of these showed any blackdialed Oyster. This has already been stated. Only Oyster watches with white dials simular to Hillary´s.

Rolex has so heavily marketed the Explorer (black dial with Explorer on dial) wich has leed us to believe it was "created" for the summit. Yes, Oyster watches where used for the summit
but not what I call Explorer.

For me this is only about marketing as Explorer watches were already sold in the 1940´s. The period 1940-50 is perhaps S.A Rolex most inventive when it comes to new Oyster models. But it´s mostly about dials and the name printed on it. The wonderful Explorer owned by Don (1952) is a typicall example.

regards
basmannen
basmannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2010, 11:28 PM   #23
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmannen View Post
Rolex was one amongst 50 or more companies sponsoring the summit.
National Geografic had a very large article (1953) with many photos. None of these showed any blackdialed Oyster. This has already been stated. Only Oyster watches with white dials simular to Hillary´s.

Rolex has so heavily marketed the Explorer (black dial with Explorer on dial) wich has leed us to believe it was "created" for the summit. Yes, Oyster watches where used for the summit
but not what I call Explorer.

For me this is only about marketing as Explorer watches were already sold in the 1940´s. The period 1940-50 is perhaps S.A Rolex most inventive when it comes to new Oyster models. But it´s mostly about dials and the name printed on it. The wonderful Explorer owned by Don (1952) is a typicall example.

regards
basmannen
Thats correct....Sir Edmund himself wore a "Smith" watch and from the photos
Tenzing Norgay ( hope that this correct spelling) wore a "dress "style white dial perpetual oyster that has been around since the late 40's/ early 50's (to which the explorer was based on) and Rolex did take the opportunity to market the explorer especially the black dial based on this event........

nothwithstanding,my point is that there is a belief that the word EXPLORER on the dial for this model (& the 6150) occurred from the second half on 1953 (see article above posted by Donald). That to me is quite interesting and would love if more research is done on this and this watch (once researched) would change that view.

The other possiblilty could be as suggested would be that the caseback and case was produced first and then manufactured and released later on with a Explorer dial.

Either way, this is quite an interesting watch ... definately worth looking into......

Donald, as you interested in the history,perhaps Rolex Geneva may help you research the history of this watch ?

ps my interest in this watch comes purely from a learning curve and the love of the explorer watch and its history and should not be mistaken for anything else other than that....

Mark
Old 17 July 2010, 12:18 AM   #24
bb3188
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitken-Smith View Post
Dear Mark, It might be possible that the dial and case are not contemporanious, i.e. the watch could have been assembled in say late or middle 1953 on the watch case of an earlier date i.e 1V 52. The new explorer dial could have used an older stock case..... If possible it would be interesting to find out when the watch left the factory to the Rolex dealership.

The explanation is probably as simple as this.... after all it was only a few years after the War and things were still pretty chaotic in Europe.

Regards Stephen
Hi Stephen
This could be a plausible reason..... ie earlier case and caseback but distributed (sold ) later with a later dial............I guess Rolex Geneva could confirm the date of sale..........

would love to find out.........

It would be interesting if this wasnt the case and that Donald's watch was produced and sold in 1952 with the existing Explorer dial......... that would be a rare find !

rgds

Mark
Old 17 July 2010, 12:26 AM   #25
jdc
"TRF" Member

some interesting info on early explorers - credit to author from vintage rolex forum

http://www.network54.com/Forum/20759...orf+lost+dream
jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2010, 12:49 AM   #26
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the info and any other info you can post!

I will be doing a full photoshoot of the watch today for Christie's so they can give me a value of this watch. So any information you may find, please post or PM me. Any and all info I can send with the photos, will help in the evaluation of the watch. I will also contact Rolex about it as well, so ALL OF US can be in the know!!
Old 17 July 2010, 12:55 AM   #27
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitken-Smith View Post
Dear Donald, Your watch is the fourth quarter of 1952. It is cal.775 movement A296. You will probably find that there is a little rotor-shake, i.e. the automatic movement is slightly noisy. The luminous markers are Radium and this is not a dress explorer but a pre-cursor to the named explorer and was the watch that was taken up Everest by some of the expedition. It is known as a semi-bubbleback.

Even the ones marked precision are probably chronometer rated, depending on the number of jewels and type of jewel attachment. They keep excellent time and are extremely robust having 20mm lugs and a two piece case { the bezel is fixed}.

The A296 movement was also the precursor to the short lived 1030 movement.

The Rolex 6098 in any form is a valuable watch but most valued with a gold star dial {stern creations Geneve SA}.

It is now quite rare and should be regarded as important as an early Submariner.

regards stephen
Great information! Thank you for taking the time to post. I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb today while I photograph the watch. I am going to have to 2 light scratches lightly polished out, but the watch in it's entirety will stay as-is. I runs beautifully and is quiet.
Old 17 July 2010, 01:05 AM   #28
RLXSTR
"TRF" Member

Icon10

Here is information I just found about the watch...including a photo that matches the one I have! Woohoo! My coffee finally kicked in this morning!

Rolex. A fine and rare stainless steel self-winding wristwatch
Oyster Perpetual Explorer, Ref.6098, made in 1953
Cal.775, nickel plated 17 jewel movement with 2 jewel patented self-winder module, overcoil hairspring and Super-Balance, matte white dial with inset gilt block and baton markers with 12, 6 numerals, inset coronet, gilt luminescent dauphine hands, center seconds, two-piece water-resistant type case with screw-down domed reverse and Oyster crown, on leather strap, case, dial and movement signed
diameter 35mm.

The 6098 was the prototype for the Explorer model and examples signed Explorer to the dial are rare. In May 1953, Sir John Hunt led a successful exhibition to climb Mt Everest with several members of his party wearing Rolex 6098 watches. It can be assumed upon their return the name Explorer was adopted by Rolex and subsequently used on the 6098 model, however shortly after the 6098 was replaced by the 9298 featuring the now familiar black 3,6,9 dial configuration.

It is possible the Everest exhibition team were testing both version of dial and chose the black 3,6,9 to be the most practical.

Given rarity of the reference, its unique history as a field-tested prototype and exceptionally short production with an Explorer signed dial.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 52explorerprototype.jpg (63.7 KB, 1558 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04788.jpg (75.9 KB, 1547 views)
Old 17 July 2010, 01:16 AM   #29
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

One of the interesting things about this story is where marketing deviates from history. I have many of the original Rolex advertisements regarding the conquest of Mt. Everest and it is interesting to see how Sir Edmund Hillary is NOT prominently featured in most of the original Rolex publicity, nor is Tenzing Norgay. Instead, Sir John Hunt, the leader of the British Expedition, is most prominently featured.

Ironically, Rolex had been trying for decades to put one of its watches on the summit of Mt. Everest. This was at a time when the conquest of Everest would be the greatest achievement in exploration achievable on this planet. The depths of the sea were largely untouchable, and space travel was unthinkable in this era. Yet, it was almost a fluke that Tenzing Norgay was wearing a Rolex watch on summit day, and it certainly was not anticipated by Rolex.

Rolex had a problem on its hands when Smiths ran an ad congratulating Sir Edmund Hillary for wearing one of its watches to the summit on the same day that Rolex ran a similar ad. The world had just learned of the triumph the day before, and nobody had time to check the facts. It wasn't like you could go to the expedition's blog or make a sat phone call from the summit like you can today. So, the climbers returned to the world and the marketing machine took over, and here we are almost 60 years later trying to figure out what really happened.
Old 17 July 2010, 01:19 AM   #30
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Incidentally, the white dial 6098 is featured in the earliest Rolex ads regarding the conquest of Mt. Everest. The black dial 6150 appeared in ads later, beginning in 1954.