The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 April 2019, 01:38 AM   #1
logo
"TRF" Member

Daytona owners: on dials and dates

Just a question out of curiosity for Daytona owners. Do you find the dial difficult to read and do you miss having a date complication? I love the look of all Daytonas but have always worried about those two things, as I do check the date on my watch multiple times per day currently, and in photos the dial can sometimes look busy. I have no plans to buy another watch currently, but I’m just curious to hear the experience of others.
logo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 01:40 AM   #2
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Those two issues plus the cost have kept me away personally. With that said, people here seem to love the watch, so maybe after wearing it for a bit those factors would fade away for me.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 01:49 AM   #3
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
As a new Daytona owner, I'll confirm.
I miss the date and it's nothing for old eyes lol

The watch though is visually so pleasing and well balanced, extremely comfortable and plain gorgeous, that I'm learning to adjust.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 01:54 AM   #4
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
No date function on the Daytona isn’t an issue for me. However, I have other Rolex in my collection that have a date function that I rotate with. The black dial is definitely harder to read than white for me.

2FA security active
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 01:57 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Just a question out of curiosity for Daytona owners. Do you find the dial difficult to read and do you miss having a date complication? I love the look of all Daytonas but have always worried about those two things, as I do check the date on my watch multiple times per day currently, and in photos the dial can sometimes look busy. I have no plans to buy another watch currently, but I’m just curious to hear the experience of others.
I can read the white dial just fine and the watch does not need a date
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 01:59 AM   #6
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I will admit to putting on readers if I really need to see the nitty gritty while using the chrono, and check the date on my phone if necessary. Neither are deal killers for me, and I have learned to allow the sheer beauty of the thing make up for its practical shortcomings.
Old 6 April 2019, 02:00 AM   #7
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
I occasionally finding myself looking at the watch and doing my Homer Simpson impersonation ("Doh!") when I realize that there's no date. But I have calendars, and a phone, and I can always ask someone...

The hard to read factor is getting easier to deal with as I get used to the watch. It's a timeless classic gorgeous watch, well worth the few shortcomings.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 02:09 AM   #8
mrporter
"TRF" Member

Yep miss the date function. But I got my gmt for that, which I always take when traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 6 April 2019, 02:10 AM   #9
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Yes, the dial is difficult to read and is very cluttered.

No, I don't need a date.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 02:16 AM   #10
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I think the watch is gorgeous without the date, and I think a date window would be very hard to fit on the dial without ruining the aesthetics. That being said....I wish it had one, because that’s the only complication I truly use on a daily basis.
It’s one of my most favorite pieces, but I’m wearing it less and less these days :(
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 02:22 AM   #11
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:
Originally Posted by richris1 View Post
i think the watch is gorgeous without the date, and i think a date window would be very hard to fit on the dial without ruining the aesthetics. That being said....i wish it had one, because that’s the only complication i truly use on a daily basis.
It’s one of my most favorite pieces, but i’m wearing it less and less these days :(
x2
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 02:42 AM   #12
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
No Date - no problem
My iPad / iPhone is always nearby
One less thing to set
More stealthy due to no Cyclops

Legibility is fine with me.
Certain angles and lighting can be difficult at times

Very comfortable to wear.
Fits under shirt sleeve very well.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 02:55 AM   #13
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I don't have any legibility issues, but I can see where that may occur with age.

At the same time I'm usually subconsciously aware of what the time roughly should be or approximately the amount of time that has passed since I looked at my watch last... I mainly glance at the watch and my eyes would tend to deviate to approximately where I think the time should be... the eyes more or else pin points the exact minute. If that makes any sense...

And when I'm holidays, I may be wearing a watch, but I don't really use it to check the time.

I personally have zero use for a date function... but contradictory enough... the date is also very important to me with my profession. Because of it's importance I'm always aware of what the date is as soon as I check my calendar/schedule/agenda in the morning. I don't need my watch to tell me that and it actually confuses me more either resetting it or switching from watch to watch.

I prefer the watch without it based on my thought process haha. And I hate how it throws off the symmetry of the piece. And even more so the busyness it would add to a chronograph watch + a Daytona which has a lot of text and other elements going on.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:04 AM   #14
AH0RSEY
"TRF" Member

Watch: OUT !!!!
I've been lucky enough to have had a 116520 black face and also a 116523 Champagne.... now have a 116500LN White and a Black/Red Racing dial WG 116509.

Easiest to read is the 116500LN white, worse was 116520 Black.... but this is my favorite and easy to read - and no I don't miss dates, thats easy I add 1 to the day before ! today is 19095.

Old 6 April 2019, 03:05 AM   #15
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
I have a black Daytona C. I don't have any issues reading the time at a glance. As for the date, I occasionally glance at the watch looking for the date out of habit but it hasn't detracted from the pleasure I get wearing it.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:08 AM   #16
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
No legibility problems (RGP contacts are amazing)
Definitely miss the date
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:13 AM   #17
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

No legibility issues for me (black dial w/ champagne counters). Yeah, there's a lot going on with the dial, so I'm not sure where they'd be able to squeeze a date and Cyclops in to the watch and make it look too busy.

I love the watch. I've had two stainless 116520 models (black and white), a couple of the yellow gold 116528 models, and an 18K/SS 116523 model. I currently have a yellow gold 116508 and that watch is in my collection to stay. It will go to my oldest son as I bought it with him and he picked it out with me.
Old 6 April 2019, 03:15 AM   #18
illini675
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I've never once looked at the dial of my 116520 and not been able to instantly know the time. Maybe my eyes are too young.

Reading the chrono dials? Different story... but who actually does that?

I don't personally miss the date, but in truth 3 of my 5 total watches do not have a date, so I'm sure its just that I'm used to keeping the date in mind or checking a phone if I happen to need it.
illini675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:16 AM   #19
Jakey
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 & SS Daytona
I own the white dial and can report zero issues in terms of reading the time. Date function goes unnoticed. I have the date on my other watches and cant say I notice not having it on the Daytona.
Old 6 April 2019, 03:20 AM   #20
WBA_Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't miss the date at all and I find the Daytona very easy to read. As a result, I have 3 of them :)

2019 GMT II 126710 BLRO
2019 Daytona 116500 Black Dial
2019 Submariner 116610LV
WBA_Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:21 AM   #21
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
I’ve never found any of my Daytona dials hard to read - and couldn’t care less about the date function. Have watches with and without and don’t mind it, but don’t need it either.

And...having and wearing a Daytona isn’t all about telling time.

I don’t need(or wear) a watch to just tell the time - I’ve got all kinds of gadgets, everywhere around me to do that for me - I wear watches because I like them!!!

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:33 AM   #22
illini675
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
I’ve never found any of my Daytona dials hard to read - and couldn’t care less about the date function. Have watches with and without and don’t mind it, but don’t need it either.

And...having and wearing a Daytona isn’t all about telling time.

I don’t need(or wear) a watch to just tell the time - I’ve got all kinds of gadgets, everywhere around me to do that for me - I wear watches because I like them!!!

Oh, you get it
illini675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:42 AM   #23
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I prefer chronographs without a date. Also like manual wind.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:48 AM   #24
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
I think the watch is gorgeous without the date, and I think a date window would be very hard to fit on the dial without ruining the aesthetics. That being said....I wish it had one, because that’s the only complication I truly use on a daily basis.
It’s one of my most favorite pieces, but I’m wearing it less and less these days :(
I tend to agree on the fact that a date would make this watch a completely different piece, so it's a well accepted "sacrifice" for the perfect balance and aesthetics.

That being said, I've never missed the date while wearing either of mine. The white dial ceramic has good legibility, my black dial steel bezel not so much.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 03:49 AM   #25
Jshwarms
"TRF" Member

Not hard to read, but I do miss having the date. That is the main reason I wear my Hulk during the workweek over the Daytona.
Jshwarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:24 AM   #26
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
No legibility issues here either. White dial 500C
Date would be good but have calendars/computers/iPhones nearby. Date would ruin the symmetry.
Not a fan of cyclops.
Also have other Rolex with dates.
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:32 AM   #27
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Maybe only my 116520 in black with certain lighting....I don't have trouble reading my other Daytonas. Date has never been an issue.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:32 AM   #28
rolexero
"TRF" Member

As an owner, I find the legibility low and no date to be an inconvenience. So I personally see the Daytona as more of a special occasion dress watch that's easy to set and go. For daily use I need something with a date and simpler, more legible dial, usually GMT or Sub.
rolexero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 04:39 AM   #29
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

No issue reading the time (white 500), don't really use the chrono, so I don't really care about that. I do miss the date, but the other day I wanted to wear it for a little while, and the fact that I knew I could just grab it and set the time in 2 seconds was nice.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:54 AM   #30
logo
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Seems the consensus is that the white dial Daytona might be the best for legibility. Also seems the lack of date function, while potentially inconvenient if the watch is a daily, is easily made up for by the ability to quickly set the time and have a visually appealing balance on the dial. Overall, sounds like a great evening/weekend timepiece for almost anyone!
logo is online now   Reply With Quote