The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 March 2018, 07:23 AM   #1
lucevan le stelle
"TRF" Member

Will Demand for the New Pepsi GMT Affect Demand for the Hulk?

Two different watches, certainly, but am curious about thoughts on whether the availability and hype of this newest model, with an improved movement, might affect the demand for the Hulk a bit. That would be overall, and possibly among those who may be on waiting lists for both watches. If they came in at the same time and you could only afford one at the moment, which would you pull the trigger on? Would you wait for the Pepsi if it was a later availability instead, (USA) and if you expected funds would not otherwise be there in full?

Also, thoughts about whether production/availability of the present Hulk might open up a little more if Rolex is contemplating making movement changes and re-styling the Sub, for the next Basel or otherwise.

My SS preferences at the moment are to acquire a Hulk and one of the new OP 39mms in white. Interested in getting opinions as to whether Hulk availability is going to continue totally as is, or perhaps may get a little better. Thanks.
lucevan le stelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:24 AM   #2
ccaballero
"TRF" Member

Watch: None
No effect as new ss Pepsi will not be available whereas Hulk will at least be moderately available
ccaballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 07:53 AM   #3
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Two different watches and each have their fans but for most they are both “MUST HAVE” models!
Old 25 March 2018, 07:57 AM   #4
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

it may shift the demand from those who just want whatever is new and popular which i think is quite a few people. The forum isn't that representative of typical Rolex buyers. Here i would say if you wanted a Hulk last week you still want a Hulk today. Outside the forum i would say they have moved on to the latest and greatest.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:02 AM   #5
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Well my AD wouldn’t even put me on the list for the LVc back in January, suggesting I enquire again in the Summer. I tried my luck on Weds hoping that the position might’ve changed because of the Pepsi release and I was granted the immense privilege of being able to join the Hulk queue.

Whether or not one is related to the other isn’t clear.
Zakalwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:03 AM   #6
Aventura
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevan le stelle View Post
Two different watches, certainly, but am curious about thoughts on whether the availability and hype of this newest model, with an improved movement, might affect the demand for the Hulk a bit. That would be overall, and possibly among those who may be on waiting lists for both watches. If they came in at the same time and you could only afford one at the moment, which would you pull the trigger on? Would you wait for the Pepsi if it was a later availability instead, (USA) and if you expected funds would not otherwise be there in full?

Also, thoughts about whether production/availability of the present Hulk might open up a little more if Rolex is contemplating making movement changes and re-styling the Sub, for the next Basel or otherwise.

My SS preferences at the moment are to acquire a Hulk and one of the new OP 39mms in white. Interested in getting opinions as to whether Hulk availability is going to continue totally as is, or perhaps may get a little better. Thanks.
All Rolex sports models will be affected by the new model.
Aventura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:04 AM   #7
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I suppose if you wanted both but could only afford one or the other ...
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:17 AM   #8
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
While resales remain so high both will be very oversubscribed.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:28 AM   #9
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
It really won't. That is the same thing as asking will the blnr affect the hulk. They are both popular, there is not enough of either of them, they are different models.

I think a slightly better question would be if the steel pepsi will affect the demand for the BLNR as they are both GMT watches. To answer that question....I think it might just reduce the demand for the BLNR a little bit initially if the pepsi's start rolling out. But....if it is impossible to get a pepsi I could see a lot of people buying the BLNR instead.
Old 25 March 2018, 10:07 AM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
For the segment of the buying population that knows what they're looking for...no.

For the guy that just comes walking in off the street (once the Pepsi starts arriving and having a presence in the store), yes, I think so.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 10:32 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I suspect it may affect demand a little bit for someone who has been waiting on a list for a while and now is more excited about a Pepsi they he/she never thought would be released in SS, and can only afford one not both. On the other hand, there seems to also be a lot of hate for the new Pepsi (bezel color, jubilee not oyster), on TRF so if the general public feels the same then Hulk demand will stay the same , or increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 11:45 AM   #12
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
A lot of folks hope the SS Pepsi will take the heat off the rest of the references.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 12:02 PM   #13
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
It really won't. That is the same thing as asking will the blnr affect the hulk. They are both popular, there is not enough of either of them, they are different models.

I think a slightly better question would be if the steel pepsi will affect the demand for the BLNR as they are both GMT watches. To answer that question....I think it might just reduce the demand for the BLNR a little bit initially if the pepsi's start rolling out. But....if it is impossible to get a pepsi I could see a lot of people buying the BLNR instead.
I think in theory the demand and hence prices of the BLNR should fall to the BLRO, but I believe greys will keep their prices steady.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 12:05 PM   #14
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
I think you'll have some people fall off the Hulk wait list and moving over to the Pepsi wait list. Count on it!
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 12:08 PM   #15
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Yes, because there is a constituency who buys certain SS pieces for the sole reason that they are in their eyes somewhat exclusive or hard to find. Those types will switch to the ‘new thing’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:04 PM   #16
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
No of course not.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2018, 08:52 PM   #17
ashokleyland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060,PAM,DJ
they are different watch (gmt complication) with different price point, I think It has no bearing.
ashokleyland is offline   Reply With Quote