The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2019, 01:36 AM   #31
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
If i have seen every episode. Is it worth giving the books a read? Or should i just pick up the newest book whenever it comes out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first book is 99% like the first season. But after that they are not entirely the same. Also the seasons cover 50% max of what’s in the books. They’re worth the read. Just strap in. They’re long.

Old 21 May 2019, 01:53 AM   #32
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Really horrible and cliche ending. Nothing like the GOT I fell in love with and watched all these years. It's like the writers, producers and editors all went on strike and the production staff from Modern Family or any other sitcom came in to finish the show.

Big let down and the show has left with a bad impression, one for which assures that I do not recommend it or will buy any of the shows/seasons to rewatch in the future.

It's like preparing and putting your kid through law school for all those years struggling with hopes and support and then at the end don't give him a pencil(figuratively speaking) to take the bar exam and he ends up working a part time retail job at the local gas station and living at home.
It was terrible, but it was not cliche. It was pretty much the opposite of cliche.

Cliche would have been John killing dany, the dragon becoming his and him sitting on the throne.

No one saw bran becoming the king.
Old 21 May 2019, 01:59 AM   #33
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Terrible season terrible ending. Very disappointed. Funny that a show can have this emotional effect ... but it does.
Old 21 May 2019, 02:10 AM   #34
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
We were somewhat dumbfounded. Looked at each other like WTF? Outside of Arya flying through the air with the banshee scream to kill the Knight King, this season sucked. But I had low expectations. All of my favorite series had crappy ending, even the Sopranos. Dexter, True Blood, The Wire, Oz, Weeds, Californication and so on all kind of lost their way as the series continued. Guess it is hard to come up with great content as series go on for years.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:00 AM   #35
SearChart
TechXpert

Meh, not super happy about the ending.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 03:18 AM   #36
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
If i have seen every episode. Is it worth giving the books a read? Or should i just pick up the newest book whenever it comes out?

newer books blow.

its the first few that are fantastic.

the story gets way lost after the 3rd.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 04:19 AM   #37
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
It must be an amazing series to have such a loyal following, but after a lifetime of dealing with victims of violence in the ER, I just don't want to watch violent shows anymore.
while i cannot relate, i can empathize. and i too would likely pass in your shoes.

Old 21 May 2019, 06:09 PM   #38
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Meh, not super happy about the ending.
Have to agree Bas.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:07 PM   #39
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
My take away about Jon was that he was going North of the wall to lead the wildlings and reestablish their community. Since there’s no need for a Nights Watch I think it makes sense for him given his choices.

However this is what bothers me most. I think it’s a terrible ending for Jon. The entire world is alive because of his actions. He was the primary character and kept the entire story moving. For him to be back to where he started just doesn’t seem right. Maybe had there been more time it could have been developed better. Perhaps after seeing what happened when Danny tried to rule made him fear taking power. He has the same blood.... etc. but again. It wasn’t developed so who knows.

I’m fine with Bran being on the throne. It makes sense. In fact I’m fine with everything BUT the fate of Jon. The only explanation I have is it does leave an entry for another story. Imagine Jon rebuilding the wildling communities. Maybe the Dragon joins them. Perhaps they return to help fight the next war etc. I donno. But for Jon to be sitting at the wall for the rest of his life, fighting nobody is pitiful.

It is not the romantic ending for Jon, but it is the right ending, given the real enemy we discover was not the NK, or Cersei or even Dany, it was the Iron Throne, the blind lust for power and its corrosive effects on character, and that is why Drogon destroyed the Iron Throne and not Jon.

Being the King in this world is a curse, and one that simple Jon, not bred for power, never wanted. Going to live in the North, the true North, is the right ending for him, if not the Hollywood ending for us.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:10 PM   #40
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
We were somewhat dumbfounded. Looked at each other like WTF? Outside of Arya flying through the air with the banshee scream to kill the Knight King, this season sucked. But I had low expectations. All of my favorite series had crappy ending, even the Sopranos. Dexter, True Blood, The Wire, Oz, Weeds, Californication and so on all kind of lost their way as the series continued. Guess it is hard to come up with great content as series go on for years.
Breaking Bad also went on for a season or two too long, the problem all these shows have is dragging things out too long, whereas we get the opposite with this, it was too short, even after 8 seasons things felt rushed, but I can't blame the showrunners when the author has provided no new source material since season 5.
Old 21 May 2019, 09:28 PM   #41
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Last season was rushed and the last episode was crap but I can’t get on board with writing off the previous seven seasons of excellence just because of the 73rd episode.

Benioff and Weiss are getting a load of stick on SM and even on this thread. The show overtook the books at the end of season 4 and the writing setup since then has been constant - B&W with GRRM as a consultant. So if B&W deserve to get slagged off for this they deserve credit for the awesomeness that preceded it.

Anyway, look on the bright side: this was nothing compared to the abortion that was the Lost finale. That really was a joke.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:09 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Last season was rushed and the last episode was crap but I can’t get on board with writing off the previous seven seasons of excellence just because of the 73rd episode.

Benioff and Weiss are getting a load of stick on SM and even on this thread. The show overtook the books at the end of season 4 and the writing setup since then has been constant - B&W with GRRM as a consultant. So if B&W deserve to get slagged off for this they deserve credit for the awesomeness that preceded it.

Anyway, look on the bright side: this was nothing compared to the abortion that was the Lost finale. That really was a joke.
Sherlock also had a very weak final season and the last episode with his sister was poor. Struggling to think of any top shows that ended with a bang.
Old 22 May 2019, 03:50 AM   #43
encarter13
"TRF" Member

I could type for days, but I will keep it short and sweet.

Best TV show I have ever watched. One of the few TV shows that held my attention over several seasons. It was an all-around amazing watch/experience.

If I had to break it down:

Seasons 1-5 - 10.0 rating

Season 6 - 8.5 rating

Season 7 - 8.0 rating (probably worse, but I just went with it thinking it was setting up season 8)

Season 8 - 6.0 rating (Still better than most anything else I have ever watched, but so $HITTY compared to the previous seasons)

All that being said, I just hope the books are released and I GRRM provides a more detailed ending.
Old 22 May 2019, 04:21 AM   #44
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually thought it was a fairly good ending to a so-so last two seasons. I do have to say that seasons 7 & 8 felt rushed, and GRRM's exit from the show (yes, he left after season 6, or at least significantly reduced his presence, to work on the last two books) may have played a role, but probably not as much as the fact that they just ran out of material. The show (with the exception of Season 1...) diverged from the book rather drastically, so while they weaved in and out of each other, they would never meet the expectation of the readers. Also, the shows were unable to provide the 3rd-person narrative that books give, which is why adaptations of books almost never meet the expectations of those fans.

But there was 100% a change in the way the show cultivated its characters after season 6, like they just stopped "growing" them and instead focused on the ending and getting to the finale as quickly as possible. I believe it was for several reasons, including the renegotiation of all of the actors' contracts probably played a big role as costs were going sky-high for each episode (CGI was a huge cost). This could have easily been a 15-season series had the show continued to develop characters the way they did in the first 5 seasons in and ending with the same result (Dany dead, Jon at the Wall, Bran as king, etc.). We may have all felt a little more fulfilled, but I believe the end result would be the same because that's how GRRM has planned it out.

Personally, I think Jon ending up back at the wall is fitting for him; He may have saved Westeros and been the one-time King in the North, but he absolutely never wanted the attention. I have been annoyed with Jon Snow almost the entire series because he has a sort of dumb luck while making bad choices; things work out for him even though they shouldn't. He learned a lot from Ned Stark, who would have made many of the same decisions but lost his head instead. He wasn't smart, he was just lucky. In that sense, he's lucky he wasn't killed by Grey Worm after killing Dany; and really he's back with the people who understand him best, and he was reunited with Tormund and Ghost, possibly the best ending for him. He wouldn't have done well as King, and I think everyone knew it. His story is tragic, as he had to kill both of the women he loved (anyone remember Ygritte?), he gets no credit for helping defeat the Night King's army of the dead, and he is essentially exiled to where no one else wants to end up, but I would bet that's the place he would most like to be.

Ultimately, the finale answered a lot of questions and filled in several gaps (although, there was no conclusion on the Azor Ahai prophecy, unless I totally missed it...?). Did it answer everything? Not by a long shot, but with a series as complex and detailed as GoT has been, it would probably take a full 15 seasons to close it out, at which point fans would just be saying "Get it over with already!" I'm pretty happy with it, and I will probably go back and watch it from the beginning at some point. Maybe watching it back-to-back again (without multi-year gaps between seasons...) will help me find pieces that I had forgotten or see some of build-up of things that seems so sudden in the last seasons.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 04:23 AM   #45
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Yep, 100% agree. I don't think any series finale will every destroy a show like that did.
Old 22 May 2019, 04:25 AM   #46
ashbaug2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Sherlock also had a very weak final season and the last episode with his sister was poor. Struggling to think of any top shows that ended with a bang.
Very few do, because they ride the "High" for too long and ultimately go out on the downhill slope. At the end of the day, few networks will kill the cash cow at the height of popularity, even if it starts degrading in quality.
Old 22 May 2019, 05:29 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbaug2 View Post
Very few do, because they ride the "High" for too long and ultimately go out on the downhill slope. At the end of the day, few networks will kill the cash cow at the height of popularity, even if it starts degrading in quality.
UK Office had the right idea, Ricky Gervais ended that after 3 seasons for that very reason, and that smart move launched an international career. US Office had a much longer shelf life but ultimately also went on too long.
Old 22 May 2019, 05:56 AM   #48
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

People are rarely happy with a finale, GOT is no exception.

Honestly, I thought it was fine and all of the pieces fell into their rightful place. Bran becoming king makes sense, Arya is off doing her own thing like always, and Sansa can rule the (independent) North.

Jon’s ending sucked, but a true leader will always sacrifice himself for the good of the people. And that is exactly what he did.

I wish S8 was longer as many things felt rushed, but I was fine with the ending. Overall, GOT was a great show. I’m glad I watched it.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 08:01 AM   #49
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

Honestly, I thought it was fine and all of the pieces fell into their rightful place. Bran becoming king makes sense, Arya is off doing her own thing like always, and Sansa can rule the (independent) North.

Jon’s ending sucked, but a true leader will always sacrifice himself for the good of the people. And that is exactly what he did.

I wish S8 was longer as many things felt rushed, but I was fine with the ending. Overall, GOT was a great show. I’m glad I watched it.
X2!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 02:55 PM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I don’t get the infatuation with the show. For me it was middling for most of the 8 seasons and the ending was dull. I struggle to enjoy most dungeons and dragons type stuff though so maybe that was it.
Old 22 May 2019, 08:16 PM   #51
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
They... man... where do i even start...

best part for me though .. the bromance look between Tormund and Joe hahaha and Ghost finally got petted.

Tormunds going to take Jon to try out some giants milk hahaha

(Y)
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 08:35 PM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post

Yep. Great post.

Old 23 May 2019, 12:43 AM   #53
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I don’t get the infatuation with the show. For me it was middling for most of the 8 seasons and the ending was dull. I struggle to enjoy most dungeons and dragons type stuff though so maybe that was it.
The thing is it was not really that type of show, it really is a medieval castle drama and is essentially about the story of the Starks, a normal Northern English aristocratic family. The dragons added a bit of mysticism, esp when you see them being born, but where GOT lost my and most people's interest was when it and the books veered too far off from the Stark and Lannister story, ie the War of the Roses between House of York and Lancaster, and into far off exotic climes and creatures, so much so that GRRM clearly couldn't see a way back to the main story in his lifetime.
Old 23 May 2019, 03:25 AM   #54
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I am just so grateful Jocke didn’t end up on the Iron Throne
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote