The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 May 2019, 01:30 PM   #31
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heff View Post
My LV will never leave my collection. If I had your collection, I’d move the Daytona, as I’m not a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! The LV sure is a beautiful watch, and I am leaning towards keeping it.
ramenjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 01:31 PM   #32
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd sell the black Daytona and look for a 37mm AP RO or 38mm RO Chrono, these are still buyable.
I actually tried the 38 RO Chrono last week, and it was awesome.
Thank you for your suggestion!
Old 22 May 2019, 01:31 PM   #33
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbkny View Post
If you’re gonna move it, now is a great time. It’s a sellers market!
It sure is! Thanks!
Old 22 May 2019, 01:32 PM   #34
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
personally I’d keep the lv and sell the black dial daytona. keeps more variety in the collection (and you’ll get more for it, of course).
Very true. It does add variety in terms of functionality and color as well!
Thank you, I will definitely consider this.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:33 PM   #35
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig722 View Post
Sell the black Daytona.
Thanks, will consider this.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:34 PM   #36
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrm View Post
That’s a great collection! I would get rid of the BLNR and get another brand in the collection. Maybe a Journe Chronometre Souverain or a Patek 5170...
Thank you for the kind words.
The mentioned Journe is one that I seriously considered when buying the 1815 Chrono. I really loved the uniqueness, and those numerals!! 5170 would be over the budget, unfortunately...
Old 22 May 2019, 01:35 PM   #37
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
You have a great collection, I’d keep all and add if you can lol
Thank you very much! I will consider keeping as is as well.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:38 PM   #38
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I would keep the LVc and flip the BLNR (if needed). For me, with both Daytonas (PCLs) and the LVc (diver + amazing dial), I’d never wear the oyster BLNR.

EDIT: Thinking it through, I’d flip the BLNR and white DaytonaC for a PP 5712.

EDIT2: regarding your proposed LVc for Sub and that IWC, I wouldn’t want/need a black dial DaytonaC and 114060.....
Thank you for the comment(s)!
After going through everybody's ideas here, flipping both the BLNR and one DaytonaC for a PP is one move I'm seriously considering at the moment, although, 5712 would be completely out of reach... Maybe a 5396?
What other PPs would you suggest in the "BLNR+DaytonaC" range?
Old 22 May 2019, 01:41 PM   #39
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
You like Rolex. You need a Day Date on the President. 36mm, classic proportions. White Gold if you wish to stay subtle. Old school some say, old mans watch or woman’s watch some others say.

But likes others have said, I’m not sure I’d let the Hulk go.
Thank you for your comment.
I do like Rolex, and a Day Date has been on my radar for some time.
Reading all the great suggestions, I am keeping the Hulk for now!
Old 22 May 2019, 01:53 PM   #40
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
The JLC Master Ultra Thin Perpetual Calendar in steel with the black dial is a great watch and offers tremendous value. I think it would be a great addition to your collection and your black Daytona would more than cover the cost of one new.

As for the Cellini Moonphase, it's by far my favorite Cellini and I think it's a very well made and attractive watch. The pros of the watch is that it's a Rolex, so that means superb quality, service, and reliability. The cons of the watch, however, is that it's, again, a Rolex and so movement finishing can't really compare to JLC or Patek and certainly not VC and especially not Lange. I definitely like it but it would be hard for me to choose one over another brand unless I had a large collection and already had calendar moonphase watches from those brands.

You might also consider a Lange Saxonia Moonphase in pink gold, which, while not a full, annual, or perpetual calendar, offers a lovely moonphase, Lange's signature big date, and superb finishing. I could see it as a lovely companion to your white gold 1815 Chronograph.

If you really love both Daytona's, however keep them and just add the JLC as funds allow. There's nothing wrong with a seven or eight watch collection, as that would probably be the smallest number I would be comfortable reducing to if I really wanted to downsize my collection.
Again, I really appreciate the wonderful input.

The JLC Master Ultra Thin Perpetual Calendar in steel with black dial is one that I will be considering, and it is reassuring to hear the value of the watch from you. What do you think about selling the black Daytona and the GMT for a Annual Calendar Patek, possibly a 5396g?

Regarding the Cellini Moonphase, I completely agree with your thoughts. There are so many good things about the watch (it's such a beautiful watch!), but considering the price point, looking at Patek and Lange would be my move as well.

Lange Saxonia Moonphase is a watch I really like. However, this might sound very strange, but this watch is one that my best friend is lusting after for years, and his mind is set to acquire it when he has the funds. Therefore, I wouldn't want to be a owner of the watch out of respect to him. Nevertheless, a superb timepiece for sure.

How many pieces do you have in your collection? It may be rude my asking, but I would love to see your collection!
Old 22 May 2019, 02:05 PM   #41
ramenjiro
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Great collection that you might just keep as is, and I am saying that as a guy who has never owned a Rolex and is still doubting if he will ever get one...

But if it was me I would consider a bigger revirement, replacing three of your Rolexes w one Rolex and a Patek:

I would sell the LV, the BLNR, and the black Daytona. Why? The LV for being too flashy, the BLNR as I am no fan of GMT / travel time pieces, and the black Daytona as I prefer the white one and I deem one Daytona enough for a 5 or 6 piece collection.

Then I would add the 114060 per your thoughts or the SD4K being my favorite modern Rolex. Either way there would be two Rolexes in your collection, the white Daytona and a black-dial LN diver.

With plenty of remaining budget you could get a PM complicated Patek, such as a classic 3940 PC, or a SS sports watch. The 5167 Aquanaut or the mid-size 3800 Nautilus should be well within budget, the 5164 slightly above but the way to go if you need a travel time piece, whereas the 5711 and 5712 are out of reach unless you add quite some cash. Assuming that you don't have to have a Patek sports watch I would probably try to go 3940. This may also turn out to be a smart move in terms of value if and when the SS sports watch craze comes to an end...
Thanks for your suggestion, which is a HUGE one, but does seem like a smart move.
The white Daytona and 114060 would be a great combo for sure, and adding a PM complicated Patek with the cash from selling the 3 Rolex could be really awesome. 5167 is something I have always lusted after, but since this would be my first Patek, maybe I should choose a dress piece, either a Calatrava or one with a complication.
3940 is magnificent, and definitely one I will consider. What are your thoughts on the 5396? Or maybe a 5146?
Old 22 May 2019, 03:09 PM   #42
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenjiro View Post
Thank you for the comment(s)!
After going through everybody's ideas here, flipping both the BLNR and one DaytonaC for a PP is one move I'm seriously considering at the moment, although, 5712 would be completely out of reach... Maybe a 5396?
What other PPs would you suggest in the "BLNR+DaytonaC" range?

Assuming you could get one at MSRP (a huge “if”), an Aquanaut is the closest fit, but I personally would stretch for a 5711 or 5212.

If a dress Calatrava is what you would like, depending on which one and the age, you might only need to flip the BLNR, or flip both for more budget/options.

Anyway, I’m far from a Patek expert, and the sub-forum on TRF could give you much better input I’m sure.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:27 AM   #43
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestion, which is a HUGE one, but does seem like a smart move.
The white Daytona and 114060 would be a great combo for sure, and adding a PM complicated Patek with the cash from selling the 3 Rolex could be really awesome. 5167 is something I have always lusted after, but since this would be my first Patek, maybe I should choose a dress piece, either a Calatrava or one with a complication.
3940 is magnificent, and definitely one I will consider. What are your thoughts on the 5396? Or maybe a 5146?
I think you could very well get an Aquanaut rather than a Calatrava (or complicated piece) as your first Patek. In my case it was per accident that I got a 3998P Calatrava first - love at first sight - whereas I had played w getting a 5711/1A (or 3700) on and off for many years before getting one from the AD.

Re the 5396 and 5146 I have to admit that I am not a big fan of the ACs as I tend to be very black and white - the ACs are in the grey area between basic Calatravas and PCs. I also prefer the dial design of the PCs over the ACs (the 5320 (3448/3450) layout over the 5396 and the 3940 layout over the 5146). Specifically on the 5396 I'd want a date ring instead of the date window plus 24h ring. If there has to be a date window I'd want the same font size as the day and month windows up top. Lastly the subdial should be smaller or lower to avoid the axle for the hands going through the 24...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 10:40 PM   #44
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2019, 11:33 AM   #45
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Old 25 May 2019, 11:34 AM   #46
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again, I really appreciate the wonderful input.

The JLC Master Ultra Thin Perpetual Calendar in steel with black dial is one that I will be considering, and it is reassuring to hear the value of the watch from you. What do you think about selling the black Daytona and the GMT for a Annual Calendar Patek, possibly a 5396g?

Regarding the Cellini Moonphase, I completely agree with your thoughts. There are so many good things about the watch (it's such a beautiful watch!), but considering the price point, looking at Patek and Lange would be my move as well.

Lange Saxonia Moonphase is a watch I really like. However, this might sound very strange, but this watch is one that my best friend is lusting after for years, and his mind is set to acquire it when he has the funds. Therefore, I wouldn't want to be a owner of the watch out of respect to him. Nevertheless, a superb timepiece for sure.

How many pieces do you have in your collection? It may be rude my asking, but I would love to see your collection!
I like the JLC Master Ultra Thin Perpetual Calendar a lot but if you're okay with an annual calendar and you can up the budget for a new Patek or Lange annual calendar or would consider a pre-owned perpetual calendar, I would probably encourage you to go that route instead. The 5396 and 5146, despite neither being perfect, are among my favorite Pateks and they both would fit in well with your collection and add a little brand diversity. You might also consider the Lange Saxonia Annual Calendar or the 1815 Annual Calendar or maybe even a complete calendar from Vacheron Constantin or something from Breguet. If you're looking in that price range new and you don't mind going used and want a perpetual calendar, you may consider a pre-owned 3940 if you want a Patek or a Langematik Perpetual Calendar. Have fun and enjoy the process!

I think that letting go of your black Daytona and your GMT to purchase a calendar moonphase would be a fine idea. I don't really see a reason to own a black ceramic Daytona in addition to a white ceramic Daytona in a smaller collection unless you really love the watch. The BLNR is a nice piece too but you could always replace it at a later date with the new version for some bracelet diversity or a BLRO for some additional color.

As for my collection, I have around a dozen pieces, about half of which are dress watches, mainly from Lange, Vacheron, Patek, and JLC, and about half of which are sport watches from Rolex, Omega, and Breitling. A dozen seems to be a good number for me, although I would probably aim for fewer watches if I was to start over, and there are few pieces on my want list (Vacheron and Rolex) as well as a few pieces that I've considered selling, one of which is the IWC Portuguese. I always recommend quality over quantity but variety is also important. Also, if you can envision your realistic end-game collection, you will save a lot of money and regret.
Old 26 May 2019, 03:50 AM   #47
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

If it were me I would get rid of the dark dial Daytona and go for a PP or AP that you really like. I like IWC but if you keep the Hulk you do not need the second submariner.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 02:28 PM   #48
Allinthegame
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak/Tank 18k
I’d sell one of the Daytonas to fund a PP Nautilus or PP Aquanaut personally , but great collection sir !
Allinthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 03:49 AM   #49
azs.77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, Panerai
The hulk would be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
azs.77 is offline   Reply With Quote