The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 April 2019, 02:19 PM   #1
J513bird
"TRF" Member

DSOTM v Tritium Speedy

Hello all! I recently picked up an Omega DSOTM off this forum and I love it. Truly beautiful piece. But I still find myself looking at Tritium Speedy’s 3570.50. I often travel to factories in China and the DSOTM is great because it is virtually indestructible. But still, that creamy patina on the tritium dial... it calls to me. Sings, even.

So the question: should I keep the DSOTM or trade ‘down’ to the older Speedy?

For argument’s sake, assume I love both equally and I can’t have both. My motivations are to round out a starting collection, and for upside value potential.

What do you think?
J513bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 12:24 PM   #2
J513bird
"TRF" Member

Any one?
Old 8 April 2019, 02:04 PM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
I wouldn't buy Speedmasters (or perhaps any Omega watches) on speculation. There has been a bit of a run-up lately in vintage Speedmasters, but there are lots of them around, so it's difficult to imagine demand getting too far out ahead of supply (just my opinion, of course). The only speculative purchase I would make would be if a total steal came along on a caliber 321 watch in good original condition.

If you really do love your DSOTM then I guess you need to search your soul about letting it go. Alternatively, if you think you prefer a Speedmaster Pro with Tritium markers on the dial, then why not pick one up and try it for a while before deciding which watch to keep?

Depending on your preferences, it may take time and diligence to find a Speedmaster Pro that you like because many of the ones old enough to have Tritium on the dial are in kinda cruddy shape by now. I recommend watching for a really nice, original example at a good price and then pouncing. If you change your mind and decide the DSOTM is the watch for you, then you should be able to move the older Speedmaster Pro along pretty easily.

BTW, I think reference 3570 was produced with SuperLuminova markers on the dial. If you want Tritium, then I think you may find it in reference 3590 with a steel case-back or 3572 with a transparent case-back, and I know you'll find it in 145.022 or earlier.

Happy hunting, and let us know how it goes.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 10:26 PM   #4
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by J513bird View Post
Hello all! I recently picked up an Omega DSOTM off this forum and I love it. Truly beautiful piece. But I still find myself looking at Tritium Speedy’s 3570.50. I often travel to factories in China and the DSOTM is great because it is virtually indestructible. But still, that creamy patina on the tritium dial... it calls to me. Sings, even.

So the question: should I keep the DSOTM or trade ‘down’ to the older Speedy?

For argument’s sake, assume I love both equally and I can’t have both. My motivations are to round out a starting collection, and for upside value potential.

What do you think?

They are very different watches. The tritium speedy can be had at a relatively affordable price and I would hold onto the DSOTM and source an older speedy.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 08:17 AM   #5
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
DSOTM
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2019, 12:10 PM   #6
J513bird
"TRF" Member

Good points and logical. I especially like advice to target the 321.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
116610 Hulk Submariner
16013 DateJust
Old 11 April 2019, 02:59 AM   #7
jeffahn
"TRF" Member

Ceramic DSOTM = virtually indestructible?
jeffahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 11:42 AM   #8
J513bird
"TRF" Member

The ceramic makes it fairly resistant to scratches. Banged it up around the factories and still looks 99%!

But I’m still plagued by this decision.
Old 18 May 2019, 02:18 PM   #9
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

If it’s the creamy patina that you love about the old 3570.50 then why not have the best of both worlds and get a DSOTM Vintage model? Dilemma solved.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote