The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 May 2019, 12:57 AM   #1
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Cartier Tank Solo as wedding gift?

My fiance and I are getting married next week. She is not that interested in watches and we said we weren't going to get each other gifts...

But! I have still been thinking about potentially getting her something. One watch that crossed my mind was a Cartier tank.

Quartz could be good be good because I'm not sure how often she'd wear it and if she had to set the time everytime the PR
ran out for an auto she might be less inclined to wear it..

What do you guys think about this watch and how much would they discount? What movement is used and when the battery is dead is it easy to replace by a watchmaker or Cartier?

https://www.cartier.com/en-us/collec...olo-watch.html
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 01:59 AM   #2
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
If she is not into watches, just get her something else that she is into.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 02:14 AM   #3
nick c
Banned

I think Cartier it’s a beautiful gift, Or maybe Louis Vuitton bag or Gucci as well. Good luck and congratulations to you guys.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 03:05 AM   #4
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
I think Cartier it’s a beautiful gift, Or maybe Louis Vuitton bag or Gucci as well. Good luck and congratulations to you guys.

She's even less interested in designer handbags. Thinking getting her something small like a watch vs jewelery which she will be getting from family members could be a good thing to have and pass down potentially down the road.
Old 13 May 2019, 08:01 AM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

For such an important gift and for one that may become an heirloom, I would suggest something other than quartz.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
For such an important gift and for one that may become an heirloom, I would suggest something other than quartz.

Such as? Given that she isn't crazy about watches - makes me hesitant to pick up something like a 26mm datejust. As I noted, she probably would be offput by the fact that if she didn't wear it often, she would need to reset the time when wearing it.

Cartier, although quartz, for the particular tank solo model I linked does have historical significance / design which is why I thought it might be a good gift and first watch.

Open / curious to hear suggestions though
Old 13 May 2019, 10:34 AM   #7
wisguy
"TRF" Member

My wife is not into watches, but still I've gifted her a few.

Over time she's come to appreciate them and understands that a watch is a gift she can use forever and will always remind her of something.

A bag for instance can cost as much as a watch, but most bags (except the very high end ones) go out of style and eventually will not be used anymore.

For the price of that Cartier I can't think of a better gift! Women love the Tank.
Old 13 May 2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

I think a Cartier Tank is an excellent choice. It’s a elegant and classy design that most woman love. I think quartz is a safe choice since she isn’t into watches. Plus the tank is known more for the timeless design more so then the movement.
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2019, 04:42 PM   #9
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsubnodate View Post
I think a Cartier Tank is an excellent choice. It’s a elegant and classy design that most woman love. I think quartz is a safe choice since she isn’t into watches. Plus the tank is known more for the timeless design more so then the movement.

That is what I originally had in mind. Thinking about stopping into the Cartier store sometime this week but am wondering if they discount on these watches. Also wondering about maintenance. I'd imagine since it's quartz - virtually any watchmaker (obviously reputable) should be able to swap battery easily, right?
Old 13 May 2019, 11:36 PM   #10
Clique
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
If she is not into watches, just get her something else that she is into.
This.
Clique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 12:00 AM   #11
nick c
Banned

My wife also wasn’t into watches. And now.^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14 May 2019, 01:55 AM   #12
WaxedElvis
"TRF" Member

Tank is a classic for the ladies. I got my wife one, quartz, because she isn't into watches - the movement made no difference to her but the styling did. She loves it.

Yes...any competent watch maker can change the battery.
WaxedElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 12:09 PM   #13
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
Such as? Given that she isn't crazy about watches - makes me hesitant to pick up something like a 26mm datejust. As I noted, she probably would be offput by the fact that if she didn't wear it often, she would need to reset the time when wearing it.

Cartier, although quartz, for the particular tank solo model I linked does have historical significance / design which is why I thought it might be a good gift and first watch.

Open / curious to hear suggestions though
It seems you've already made up your mind and Cartier is a fine choice; she probably won't know or care about the difference between a quartz and an automatic or manual. Expect zero discount at a boutique and very little (around 10% if you're lucky) at an AD. Cartier is discounted very little, even in the gray market. They are however, fairly soft pre-owned.

As for classic, non-quartz suggestions, I would consider a Cartier Ronde Solo 36mm Automatic, but it's more expensive, less classic, and larger than the Tank you are considering, so it has it's drawbacks as well. I would also consider a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. It's more casual but quite versatile. Unfortunately, it's also more money. Both these lack a date and so they are a breeze to set.

Quartz sounds great on the surface but the batteries seem to last only around a year or so and it's a pain to change them and the cost at an AD adds up. My wife was into quartz Cartiers before we were engaged and now she won't touch them, so times change. In retrospect, I wish my wife had stayed with quartz, as this would have saved me a lot of money, so maybe, on second thought, you should just go ahead and get her the quartz Cartier Tank!
Old 14 May 2019, 03:06 PM   #14
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Give her automatic and buy her a watch winder.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 12:17 AM   #15
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It seems you've already made up your mind and Cartier is a fine choice; she probably won't know or care about the difference between a quartz and an automatic or manual. Expect zero discount at a boutique and very little (around 10% if you're lucky) at an AD. Cartier is discounted very little, even in the gray market. They are however, fairly soft pre-owned.

As for classic, non-quartz suggestions, I would consider a Cartier Ronde Solo 36mm Automatic, but it's more expensive, less classic, and larger than the Tank you are considering, so it has it's drawbacks as well. I would also consider a Rolex Oyster Perpetual. It's more casual but quite versatile. Unfortunately, it's also more money. Both these lack a date and so they are a breeze to set.

Quartz sounds great on the surface but the batteries seem to last only around a year or so and it's a pain to change them and the cost at an AD adds up. My wife was into quartz Cartiers before we were engaged and now she won't touch them, so times change. In retrospect, I wish my wife had stayed with quartz, as this would have saved me a lot of money, so maybe, on second thought, you should just go ahead and get her the quartz Cartier Tank!

Haha well that was a 180! Going to go new because this is a wedding gift and although cheaper on the second hand market - pre owned would not be appropriate.
Old 15 May 2019, 02:27 AM   #16
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
If shes not into watches, maybe a surprise watch isn't the best idea... maybe bring her in to let her pick one? Out of personal experience, everytime I thought I found the perfect gift for my wife (watch, purse, shirt or anything), most of the time her choice was something else. lol So now I've learned I need to show her before I buy
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 04:04 AM   #17
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
If shes not into watches, maybe a surprise watch isn't the best idea... maybe bring her in to let her pick one? Out of personal experience, everytime I thought I found the perfect gift for my wife (watch, purse, shirt or anything), most of the time her choice was something else. lol So now I've learned I need to show her before I buy
Cartier has a 30 day return policy so if she didn't like it, we would be able to return it. Unfortunately, choosing something together would ruin the element of surprise!
Old 15 May 2019, 12:03 PM   #18
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha well that was a 180! Going to go new because this is a wedding gift and although cheaper on the second hand market - pre owned would not be appropriate.
I agree that new is a must for this type of gift, unless it was a family heirloom. I don't buy pre-owned anyway.
Old 16 May 2019, 05:12 AM   #19
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Checked my local boutique. No discount. There's an AD nearby that I'll try my luck at to see if they offer anything
Old 17 May 2019, 03:45 AM   #20
jenniferjanef
"TRF" Member

Get her the F.P.Journe Elegance instead.
jenniferjanef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 08:16 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Cartier has a 30 day return policy so if she didn't like it, we would be able to return it. Unfortunately, choosing something together would ruin the element of surprise!
Cartier sounds good to most women.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 01:08 PM   #22
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

My wife wears the Tank Solo large. I wanted to get her something that was quartz and she preferred the square case and larger size. I looked at the francaise models but she preferred the more casual look of the Solo. Discounts would be hard to come by on this model since it's really not that expensive and dealer cost is high on Cartier. Since she's had it, we had the battery replaced once at a local Cartier AD and it wasn't that bad and they also checked the seals.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 11:21 PM   #23
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson3097 View Post
My wife wears the Tank Solo large. I wanted to get her something that was quartz and she preferred the square case and larger size. I looked at the francaise models but she preferred the more casual look of the Solo. Discounts would be hard to come by on this model since it's really not that expensive and dealer cost is high on Cartier. Since she's had it, we had the battery replaced once at a local Cartier AD and it wasn't that bad and they also checked the seals.

Thanks. How long have you had it? Ie. How long did the battery last?

Boutique told me that it's $46 to swap the battery when I stopped by to check out the watch
Old 18 May 2019, 08:57 AM   #24
sunset117
"TRF" Member

If bought a girlfriend a tag and an omega. She wasn’t into watches but I was trying to get her into them. When we broke up they were both on eBay. Don’t force it on someone. Buy something for yourself instead, I wish i did.
sunset117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 09:34 AM   #25
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks. How long have you had it? Ie. How long did the battery last?

Boutique told me that it's $46 to swap the battery when I stopped by to check out the watch
I think she’s had it about 6 years and the battery was replaced after 4. The polished parts are showing some wear but could probably be polished out if I wanted to send it for a full service. I think the AD charged more since they told me they check all the seals and there’s not a boutique near me so it was my only option.
jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 11:06 AM   #26
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

AD offered 5% off. I'm going to go boutique route as they offer 30 day returns. AD said no returns - exchange only
Old 20 May 2019, 01:23 PM   #27
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Pulled the trigger! Hoping that she likes it haha
Old 20 May 2019, 03:44 PM   #28
SearChart
TechXpert

Congrats!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 09:19 PM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset117 View Post
If bought a girlfriend a tag and an omega. She wasn’t into watches but I was trying to get her into them. When we broke up they were both on eBay. Don’t force it on someone. Buy something for yourself instead, I wish i did.
I hope the $$$ in her eyes didn't catalyst the break up, don't tempt them, they always have reasons enough already!
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 10:12 PM   #30
nick c
Banned