The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 17 May 2019, 09:48 AM   #61
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
FWIW give me a driver and a rolls Royce. Or better yet a pilot and a citation x.
Not me.

I want to drive.

My dream at this point is retire with a bus. Have a hitch on the back to haul the 911. Travel the US until the end of my days.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 10:04 AM   #62
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
I love the NSX. And have a dealer walking distance from my home. I also just read an article that they unofficially lowered the price. Maybe I’ll check it out.

Truth is, numbers on the McLaren came back way higher than I was initially told. Sure, it’s a write off but I’m still not feeling it at the moment.

So we shall see.

It’s beautiful in jersey tonight and I’ve taken the Targa out for a spin. It’s glorious. Might be I just do nothing at all. At least for now. Maybe I’ll monetize the site and start collecting a little income before I make the move. And then do something like a 458 or 488.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/83c21b4...-discount.html

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 10:10 AM   #63
steve099
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116619LB
v10 R8 gets my vote. Rock solid and sounds like heaven.

Cars with electrical issues give me the you know what....and sadly McLaren is well known for reliability issues. Beautiful cars for sure but reliability is key to me. I want to drive them not work on them.
steve099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 10:42 AM   #64
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Congrats Seth and whatever you choose. Audi is a great car but dated looks wise at this point. Hard to pass on the sound of the big NA engine though...If I was looking at something to have fun on the track with I would look at the GT2RS.
He is not a member anymore but if you remember Paul, he has had all these cars and is still doing the car thing. Good guy to talk to regarding this subject.
I miss Paul and his passion for exotics and RM’s
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 11:07 AM   #65
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I miss Paul and his passion for exotics and RM’s
Ditto, I enjoyed his time here, says it like it is, I have lots of time for people like that.
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 12:24 PM   #66
evsnow
"TRF" Member

570S. No question. Spending a day at the McLaren Tech Center in Woking was one of the cooler experiences of my life. The employees of that company are obsessed with their product and it really shows in both their cars and facilities.
Old 17 May 2019, 01:16 PM   #67
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

I’m traveling, so slow on the uptake!
You have brand new perfect German engineering, so I vote M!
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 04:09 PM   #68
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

The R8 is quintessentially German, i.e., overall an awesome car that you can drive every day, but a “safe” bet.

If you want something more emotional, go for the McLaren.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 04:16 PM   #69
SearChart
TechXpert

Good stuff! I have no experience with either car but I'm sure both are fantastic. Good for you Seth!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 04:35 PM   #70
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I must be the only one who remembers Paul as a huge blowhard who spent his time here harrassing other members when he wasn’t busy bragging about his cars which he never kept more than a month.

I miss a few members he ain’t one of them.

Your p car is plenty Seth! No need for a costly lease unless it’s easily justified by the business.
Old 17 May 2019, 05:33 PM   #71
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I must be the only one who remembers Paul as a huge blowhard who spent his time here harrassing other members when he wasn’t busy bragging about his cars which he never kept more than a month.

Your p car is plenty Seth! No need for a costly lease unless it’s easily justified by the business.
Biggest dbag this forum has ever seen. The guy definitely has some mental issues.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 06:53 PM   #72
M.B.
"TRF" Member

I recently parted with M2, which was somewhat of a daily - only 5,000KM/year though, as I either work from home or fly out to clients. Most of the mileage was put on weekend trips and small rounds in town once every other week.

We're currently building a new house, and with the end in sight I started looking into what could be my next car. I'll also add that I'm a car guy ever since I can remember myself, from importing a 1985 Toyota MR2 for restoration, to new and expensive cars, to tracks and weekend road-trips in the backroads of Europe.
With 5000km/year I figured HECK, why do I need two cars (+wifes famly car, totaling 3 cars)? I might as well go for one car at the same combined price.

I had my eye on a 570S/GT since they were introduced. I love the brand, and the cars seems to deliver as promised. Last week I finally got to test drive one.

Looking at it from outside, it looks the part. I can sit and stare at all day long. The GT model also offers a nice light in the cabin thanks to the panoramic roof (no cabin heating issues in Sweden so why not), and more-than-required cargo space for this kind of car - which is a plus for our weekend trips.

When pushing it hard the car certainly feels like an exotic, accelerates and handles GREAT! No questions there.

I also got a really good deal on a specific car, about 30% less than an equivalent Lamborghini Huracan for example. The insurance costs are also ridiculously low over here as the insurance companies didn't catch up with what it is for a car, so not much more than insuring an M2 actually.

All sounds good, doesn't it? Well, that depends on your perspective. Is it a SUPERCAR, or an extremely fast (when needed) sports car for everyday? That's where I'm still torn.

Commuting in it in traffic, once you forget the scissor doors and the carbon tub, it almost felt a little "too daily" if that makes sense. When I sit in a Huracan, even in traffic, I still feel like the car ROARS supercar at me. The 570s felt like, well, a souped-up Cayman really.
Obviously pedestrians and other drivers would still see a supercar regardless of if it's a lambo or a mclaren, but I mean the emotions that you get when sitting in the cabin.

And that's where it comes down to for me, emotions.
I'm torn between the supercar performance, how good of a deal it is (and I really did get a good one), the everyday usability -- to that roar. Isn't that half the point with a car like that? What it makes you feel, regardless of how fast you're going?

Do I look over that one small factor for the big picture - a great car for a great deal, an everyday supercar?
But if I do, maybe i should I go "all in" for the everyday car and get an R8 V10+?
Or maybe the other way around, all in on "crazy" and get a Huracan?

Having that said the 570s is an AMAZING car. I was, and still am, very tempted to pull the trigger.
It's just that the "supercar" emotions were there when looking at it from outside but a little off when sat everyday in traffic. Now I need to give it some more thought if that's a good or bad things.
M.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 07:33 PM   #73
Yaz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 16710
MacLaren my friend !!
Mac...Laren !!
Yaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 11:53 PM   #74
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
Biggest dbag this forum has ever seen. The guy definitely has some mental issues.
Truth is my first experiences with Paul were filled with his douche baggery. I don’t disagree that he was a jerk and super aggressive in a lot of ways. But after our first few scuffles we made peace and became friendly.

And clearly, we had our love for cars in common. I liked him once we settled down a bit. But I completely get what you guys are saying.

And in regard to something new, I do think the 911 can satisfy my needs at the moment. It’s god damn sexy as hell. And in the two hours I drove it last night I must of had half a dozen comments or thumbs up. It’ll do just fine. It turns heads just fine and will surely act as a marketing tool for the time being. I’m debating making it my daily for the summer. And bring cards with me everywhere.

The dream won’t die though. And I’ll be prepping for the future.

So thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts. I’ll pick this thread back up in the future.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 07:54 AM   #75
ian.thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaz View Post
MacLaren my friend !!
Mac...Laren !!
You do realize it's spelled "McLaren"?

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 11:32 AM   #76
MinMay
Banned

Saw another R8 at the gym. Again lol. Either he was looking for parking or hoping a hottie give him a stare for the day lol
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:14 PM   #77
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Saw another R8 at the gym. Again lol. Either he was looking for parking or hoping a hottie give him a stare for the day lol
What?
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 08:49 PM   #78
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
What?
You bought an R8?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 09:15 PM   #79
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

My wife has seen both, if you want a 'hottie' then the McLaren is an easy choice. Makes the Audio look pedestrian by comparison.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote