The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 August 2020, 12:04 AM   #1
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

Traded my Speedy Pro for FOIS

I've had my Speedy Pro for over three years -- bought new in Feb 2017. While I love it, I have been trending toward smaller watches because they just wear better on my 6.33 in (~16 cm) wrist. I came to this conclusion about two years ago after buying a 36mm Datejust (116200) and solidified the conclusion with the 85th Anniversary Tribute Reverso (same size as the grand taille) that I bought earlier this year.

In any event, I have to say that although some people may not agree, but the FOIS wears much smaller. According to my measurement, the diameter is 39.6mm, but the lug-to-lug comes in at only 47mm.

I will miss the Pro, as I have many fond memories wearing it. But I look forward to building new memories with the FOIS! See the two pictures below for comparison. Also, the guy who I traded it to seems like a really good guy, and a watch lover, which makes me happy that my Pro will have a good home.

See the pictures below. Did I make the right decision?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fois.jpg (65.0 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg pro.jpg (69.4 KB, 283 views)
DantonIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:12 AM   #2
jay_kay
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 54
Definitely. The FOIS is the nicest Speedmaster IMO.

Enjoy it.

Rolex Explorer 214270, Omega Speedmaster '1957 Relaunch' 3594.50.00, Panerai Luminor 1950 PAM00127-E, Panerai Radiomir 1936 PAM00249-I, Panerai Mare Nostrum PAM00716-T, Panerai PAM00785-Q Set, Panerai Luminor Black Seal PAM00594-Q, Panerai Luminor Daylight PAM00604-Q, Tudor Black Bay 54 79000N, Heuer Carrera Re-Edition CS3113, Hamilton Military W10 & TAG Heuer F1
jay_kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:44 AM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:50 AM   #4
2024 Pledge Member

Very nice.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:28 AM   #5
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Awesome - I love the FOIS and have owned it twice.

If you had the speedy on the bracelet, then that may be the issue as the solid end links make it wear quite wide. I have the Apollo 11 which is the speedy pro (ish) case but with pivoted endlinks on the flat link bracelet. Wears much smaller.

A 1171 from omega or an uncle seiko flatline bracelet would help if you get a pro again.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 06:32 AM   #6
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Btw, uncle seiko do a nice flat link in 19mm which is a good fit per the omega forums. Looks terrific. An Ed white look at a fraction of the price!
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:19 PM   #7
Prince Namor
"TRF" Member

Definitely. Looks good on your wrist.
Prince Namor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 12:31 PM   #8
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Congrats. But I have to disagree on the size differences. Objectively you are correct in the diameter. I struggled with this too as my wrist is like 6.5 inches. What I concluded is that the size difference was just the area between the lugs and the lug to lug length-really the most important factor in watch size in my opinion is identical in the 2 watches. Then I asked myself, given that they are to the naked eye almost identical in size, so I want the classic moon watch or the FIOS. I chose the classic. I was more influenced by the legibility of the hands on the classic, where the FIOS hands can disappear in some light. That said, you cant really go wrong. I also think the FIOS has a slightly dressier appearance owing to the sleeker hands.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:12 PM   #9
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Congrats. But I have to disagree on the size differences. Objectively you are correct in the diameter. I struggled with this too as my wrist is like 6.5 inches. What I concluded is that the size difference was just the area between the lugs and the lug to lug length-really the most important factor in watch size in my opinion is identical in the 2 watches. Then I asked myself, given that they are to the naked eye almost identical in size, so I want the classic moon watch or the FIOS. I chose the classic. I was more influenced by the legibility of the hands on the classic, where the FIOS hands can disappear in some light. That said, you cant really go wrong. I also think the FIOS has a slightly dressier appearance owing to the sleeker hands.
If my wrist were slightly bigger I’d agree with you and probably would’ve kept the pro. Also I agree with you that the objective measurement may not be too far apart, but you notice the difference if you wear them on your wrist.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:30 AM   #10
DantonIzzo
"TRF" Member

Having now spent a few days with the FOIS, here are my thoughts:

There are positives to both. I love the hesalite on the Pro and how the matte dial gets distorted by it (and the occasional glimpse of the hidden etched Omega logo on the crystal). In addition, the twisted lugs and asymmetric case make the pro visually interesting. Those will be the aspects of the Pro that I will miss the most.

That said, the FOIS is also awesome. What I lose in hesalite's distortion and twisted lugs and asymmetric case, I gain back in the FOIS a gloss dial and applied Omega logos, which are the visually interesting aspects of the FOIS. Those factors also add depth to the FOIS' dial. In addition, the alpha hands and needle-thin chrono hand make for a much more elegant watch overall. I wouldn't call it "dressy," however. Finally, the true reason that I traded the Pro for the FOIS was for wearability--and the FOIS doesn't disappoint. I know that the objective measurements may not vary by much between the two, but there is definitely a difference on the wrist. At bottom, it comes to preference, and having owned the Pro for more than 3 years, my preference is for how the FOIS wears on my wrist. I love it!

I will miss the Pro, but the person I traded it to is overall an awesome human being and watch lover. I'm glad that the Pro will have a good home and I also will have the first right of refusal if he were to get rid of it.

Here's another tid-bit about the FOIS that people may not know: The reason why the small second hand is an alpha-styled silver hand (rather than a white baton) is because Omega wanted to truly make Wally Schirra's watch, as opposed to making the exact replication of the CK2998. When Wally Schirra took his watch in for a service, the watchmaker broke the white baton hand and replaced it with the silver alpha-styled hand, so Omega stuck with it to pay homage to Schirra's watch. I think there may be misconception about why the silver hand is there--that the the silver hands are for time-keeping and white hands are for chrono functions, which is factually accurate, but the true reason is for homage to Schirra.