The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 August 2020, 05:13 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

The perfect white Seiko?

I am looking for the perfect white Seiko watch for me. I want a crisp stark white - not an eggshell or off color. Less than 42mm a must.

After all of my searching I keep coming back to two options: the SGBX259 and the SBGA211.

Silly to compare the first with the icon I guess but here we are.

On the dials, both have little things about me that I don't love - the SBGX sometimes looks like it's missing something to me near the 6 o'clock. Almost like a face that doesn't have a mouth/smile. The SBGA211 on the other hand has the spring drive which reminds me of those piercing chains people get between their ear and their nose.

So neither is ideal for me but the closest I've got. I looked at the SBGR 287 as well. That's probably my favorite of the dials but no bracelet is a deal breaker for me. And it seems a little thick for its size.

Any opinions or experiences out there on any of this? Thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:36 AM   #2
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
What do you mean by piercing chains??? Are you referring to the power-reserve indicator?

In my view, the PR window is actually quite subdued and blends with the watch, adding a subtle balance to the dial. Insofar as the date window and applied GS marker provide visual cues at 12:00 and 3:00, it makes some sense to place an additional visual element near the 7:00-8:00 region. I think it's also the most useful complication for an automatic watch. I prefer this over GMT or rotating bezels.

Anyway, going back to the original topic of your query, both options are fantastic and each has its own merits and possible areas of weakness. Here's how I view them:

SBGA211:
+ Dial perfection. This is seriously an artisan masterpiece.
+ Titanium material is very durable and comfortable. Super lightweight (caution: some people dont like that)
+ Beautiful exhibition caseback
+ Finishing is perfection all around.
+ Has greater visual impact. Will take your breath away

SBGX259:
+ Subdued, under-the-radar
+ More accurate time-keeping. Pretty self-explanatory for 9F movement
+ Better case proportions. Thinner, smaller, probably has better feel on wrist
+ Service interval of 50 years. You'll probably never need to service it. Swapping battery ought to be easy enough to do yourself.

Both options suffer the lack of bracelet micro-adjustment.

I think you should try them on and see how they feel, if possible, before you buy. Keep in mind that the SBGA211 has a little bit of an awkward feel on the wrist due to its case design. Personally I wish mine was a little smaller, slimmer (i.e. thinner height), and maybe refine the lugs a little. I dunno.

The new Soko spring drive release at 39 mm might be a compelling option among the 2 you are considering. Check out the SBGA427. I think the green second hand and the green PR indicator are a little jarring, not my cup of tea, but the case seems an improvement for sure. Hopefully future releases from GS will have a similar trend in reducing and refining the case dimensions.
Old 10 August 2020, 07:24 AM   #3
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
What do you mean by piercing chains??? Are you referring to the power-reserve indicator?

In my view, the PR window is actually quite subdued and blends with the watch, adding a subtle balance to the dial. Insofar as the date window and applied GS marker provide visual cues at 12:00 and 3:00, it makes some sense to place an additional visual element near the 7:00-8:00 region. I think it's also the most useful complication for an automatic watch. I prefer this over GMT or rotating bezels.

Anyway, going back to the original topic of your query, both options are fantastic and each has its own merits and possible areas of weakness. Here's how I view them:

SBGA211:
+ Dial perfection. This is seriously an artisan masterpiece.
+ Titanium material is very durable and comfortable. Super lightweight (caution: some people dont like that)
+ Beautiful exhibition caseback
+ Finishing is perfection all around.
+ Has greater visual impact. Will take your breath away

SBGX259:
+ Subdued, under-the-radar
+ More accurate time-keeping. Pretty self-explanatory for 9F movement
+ Better case proportions. Thinner, smaller, probably has better feel on wrist
+ Service interval of 50 years. You'll probably never need to service it. Swapping battery ought to be easy enough to do yourself.

Both options suffer the lack of bracelet micro-adjustment.

I think you should try them on and see how they feel, if possible, before you buy. Keep in mind that the SBGA211 has a little bit of an awkward feel on the wrist due to its case design. Personally I wish mine was a little smaller, slimmer (i.e. thinner height), and maybe refine the lugs a little. I dunno.

The new Soko spring drive release at 39 mm might be a compelling option among the 2 you are considering. Check out the SBGA427. I think the green second hand and the green PR indicator are a little jarring, not my cup of tea, but the case seems an improvement for sure. Hopefully future releases from GS will have a similar trend in reducing and refining the case dimensions.
Thanks so much for the amazing analysis! This is super helpful. I was looking at the Soko also but the green is not my thing either. Otherwise would have been a perfectly sized snowflake.

On the reserve indicator yeah that is what I was talking about. I've actually got the SBGA231 (just got it) and it doesn't bother me. So I wouldn't rule it out because of that. Your perspective on visual balance is interesting and helpful.

I wonder what you think of the SBGX259 in terms of north south dial balance?

Since I posted I actually started to research into the SBGR287 to see whether any bracelets would fit. I wondering if it is the same case as the SBGR251, in which case I guess that bracelet would fit. Though if it does it still becomes quite pricey to add an aftermarket bracelet.

I think you're right about trying on of course. Hopefully will be able to sometime soon.
Old 11 August 2020, 12:23 AM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Have you looked at the SBGR055? It’s an older model, but the dial is ultra white.

I have a snowflake. I don’t really think the dial is that white. It is a grayish white to me.

I find the bracelets on the SBGX line to be atrocious. The undesirable of the links (inner edges of links) are hotspots that are rough on the wrist and are hairpullers. I have a blue dial I put on a strap because ‘I hated the bracelet.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 12:39 AM   #5
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I like the SBGX059 which I recently received. Pretty much the same as the SBGX259,

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2020, 04:03 AM   #6
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I like the SBGX059 which I recently received. Pretty much the same as the SBGX259,

Looks great on you thanks for sharing!
Old 11 August 2020, 04:04 AM   #7
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Have you looked at the SBGR055? It’s an older model, but the dial is ultra white.

I have a snowflake. I don’t really think the dial is that white. It is a grayish white to me.

I find the bracelets on the SBGX line to be atrocious. The undesirable of the links (inner edges of links) are hotspots that are rough on the wrist and are hairpullers. I have a blue dial I put on a strap because ‘I hated the bracelet.
Thanks for the perspective on the snowflake color! I've seen the SBGR055 and like the white but prefer the case shape on the other options.
Old 15 August 2020, 04:00 AM   #8
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

I just looked at the models you mentioned and my favorite, by far, is the SBGR287. I too am a bracelet guy, but I'd make an exception for that one.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 August 2020, 02:13 AM   #9
wanasub
"TRF" Member

Looks like the bracelet for the sbgr251 would fit the sbgr287 and it’s a great excuse to add a beautiful silver motif watch to the collection. I’ve been thinking about the sibling to the 37 mm white sbgr287, the brown, textured-dial sbgr289. Also comes without a bracelet so would use that as an excuse to add an sbgr271.
wanasub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2020, 04:57 PM   #10
LF1925
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I have a SBGR287 and the 19mm bracelet off the SBGR251 or comparable should fit (haven't tried) as the size specs look identical. I'm generally a bracelet guy but made an exception for this one.

GS
LF1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2020, 10:14 AM   #11
Pongster
"TRF" Member

My snowflake

on a bed of snowflakes.

The perfect white seiko.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 495562FC-467A-44A2-9AF6-B4DC5386FC3C.jpeg (63.2 KB, 178 views)
Pongster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2020, 11:32 PM   #12
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Hi,

Just received my Snowflake.

Even if I am a Rolex fan I have to say the quality is unbelievable and superior to the Swiss counterpart.

No other brand can compete at that price point.

It truly is a hand made masterpiece. Pictures don’t do it justice. It’s a fascinating timepiece yet it flies under the radar.

Old 31 August 2020, 02:06 AM   #13
LF1925
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoil4ever View Post
Hi,

Just received my Snowflake.

Even if I am a Rolex fan I have to say the quality is unbelievable and superior to the Swiss counterpart.

No other brand can compete at that price point.

It truly is a hand made masterpiece. Pictures don’t do it justice. It’s a fascinating timepiece yet it flies under the radar.

Congrats and agreed. At the price point, the craftsmanship is second to none, and an absolute sleeper as well.
LF1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2020, 02:31 AM   #14
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by LF1925 View Post
Congrats and agreed. At the price point, the craftsmanship is second to none, and an absolute sleeper as well.

Thanks