The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 9 August 2020, 01:22 PM   #1
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Apple Watch
Visiting Patek at Tiffanys in 5th Ave NYC

First time visiting this place. Was wondering if anybody has been to this place and how the experience was and any other things to do (besides checking out watches)?

For context, I want to check out a Patek Aquanaut 5167 so I can see it in person and other pieces if they have it.
westoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:29 PM   #2
taylorhall
"TRF" Member

Any hot pieces like the aquanaut/nautilus would not be available for immediate viewing or purchase at Tiffany's on 5th avenue.

Best bet would be for you to find a grey dealer in New York that will have the pieces your interested in.

This is the same scenario for any AD in the world sadly. Welcome to Patek Philippe.
taylorhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:30 PM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=757016

Check this thread out and read the article
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 01:54 PM   #4
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
[LINK]

Check this thread out and read the article

Yup. Read that article. It was interesting although not surprising that influence/genuineness is more valued at this level especially for Tiffany marked pieces. Was more curious if there are at least watches I can try there? I've read that some places have pieces but are not for sale like in the Geneva salon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 August 2020, 01:58 PM   #5
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westoque View Post
Yup. Read that article. It was interesting although not surprising that influence/genuineness is more valued at this level especially for Tiffany marked pieces. Was more curious if there are at least watches I can try there? I've read that some places have pieces but are not for sale like in the Geneva salon.

Sure you can try on watches but haven’t seen any interesting pieces in SF and Hawai’i at Tiffany /PP. best go to a grey dealer and try on hard to get pieces. I have only ever heard of PP Geneva and maybe AP Houses offering customers to try on a bunch of models that are not for sale.
Old 9 August 2020, 03:40 PM   #6
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Not sure if there are any sports models available but definitely go and see the Salon. The relationship building and getting them to know you is important, if not the most important factor in purchasing Tiffany stamped pieces. The Salon will not sell to just any client...they want to know you before they sell to you any highly sought after references. Takes time to build that relationship but definitely worth it. Definitely need patience and do not keep asking when you will get uour piece. When the time comes, you will answer that call and don’t pass up on the opportunity or else it will never knock again...
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:12 PM   #7
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My advice would be to skip it. They won’t have a 5167 on hand for you to see or any other sports watches. Unless you’re looking to buy something on a leather strap for full boat you’ll be looked at like a waste of time. That might be the worst retail outlet for Patek in the world to land a sports watch.
Old 9 August 2020, 11:19 PM   #8
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
My advice would be to skip it. They won’t have a 5167 on hand for you to see or any other sports watches. Unless you’re looking to buy something on a leather strap for full boat you’ll be looked at like a waste of time. That might be the worst retail outlet for Patek in the world to land a sports watch.
This, and if you want to build a relationship you will need to spend serious money and not waste their time. NYC Tiffany's has customers that regularly spend seven figures annually. Pay to play.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2020, 11:51 PM   #9
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Bring knee pads.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:22 AM   #10
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Have an abundance of Tiffany here. Get a full 4 or 8 serving set of silverware and use it daily

Get your wife / friend a Tiff pearl necklace and 2 ct diamond ear rings too. Maybe a single 1 or 2 ct for you too. Silver rattle makes a nice gift if your wife or friend is having a baby.

Plenty of great things to buy, have fun :)

hamptonfive-piece-flatware-set-37360449_966388_ED.jpg
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:34 AM   #11
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I found the people at the Tiffany salon to be very nice and pleasant to chat with. I wore an expensive watch and the few times I’ve been have started our saying I’m not interested in a nautilus or aquanaut (which I already have )- I think this set the tone for a nicer chat about PP other watches.

There is pretty much zero chance they will have any nautilus, aquanaut , or any other hot piece there for you to try on let alone see, unless perhaps if you are dropping $100k on diamonds and jewelry.

But still worth the visit IMO especially if you are passing by. Lots of other great watch boutiques within walking distance there to check out (if they are open).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 12:50 AM   #12
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
First time visiting this place. Was wondering if anybody has been to this place and how the experience was and any other things to do (besides checking out watches)?

For context, I want to check out a Patek Aquanaut 5167 so I can see it in person and other pieces if they have it.
The Patek section at Tiffany NYC is located on a different floor, so you have to take an elevator to get there. The main floor of Tiffany is interesting to visit, from the diamond and other jewelry retail perspective. It is often hustling and bustling with staff and customers, although with the COVID pandemic, it may be different nowadays.

The Patek floor is quite huge and different in layout from any other Patek retailer. They seem to have a lot of private areas for VIPs to be catered to without being seen or heard by the regular customers.

I would say go visit and check it out. Be honest and say you are new to the brand, but there to learn about the Patek brand and Tiffany partnership. Ask to see some complicated watches like annual calendar, world time, chrono, and you will get an idea. As others mentioned, you won't see any Aquanauts there. But you may be offered a diet coke or bottled water during your visit, LOL
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 01:53 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In London even in 14/15 the base Aqua and Naut were hard to see in ADs, esp if they didn't know you well, I was often looking at 5164s and 5712s, both then in abundance, and trying to cover up half the dial and squint to imagine how they looked, was easier in the end just to go to a grey.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:32 AM   #14
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Only way to see a 5167 in NYC is to visit 47th St. You should be able to find at least a few as you walk between 5th & 6th Ave. The Patek AD with the most watches on display is Wempe on 5th Ave. Tourneau on 57th has a small Patek section with not much there. Tiffany will have a few pieces on display, but doubtful you’ll see a model you’ll want to buy. Each place will treat you courteously. But asking an AD for a 5167 is like asking for a unicorn.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 03:36 AM   #15
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Only way to see a 5167 in NYC is to visit 47th St. You should be able to find at least a few as you walk between 5th & 6th Ave. The Patek AD with the most watches on display is Wempe on 5th Ave. Tourneau on 57th has a small Patek section with not much there. Tiffany will have a few pieces on display, but doubtful you’ll see a model you’ll want to buy. Each place will treat you courteously. But asking an AD for a 5167 is like asking for a unicorn.

If it’s like a unicorn, would it still be appropriate to ask for it though? I’m pretty sure loads of people ask for them everyday but if it’s the model that I am looking for then the least they can do is give me a timeframe or waitlist.

From that point, I’m pretty sure there are other variables at play but I’d rather go the AD route vs grey since I can see myself purchasing more.

Old 10 August 2020, 04:28 AM   #16
taylorhall
"TRF" Member

of course you can ask. You can also give them your information--most places don't event take your info down anymore because the list is too long already (think 7-8 years).

Often times ADs only get 1-2 pieces of certain models allocated to them a year.
taylorhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:39 AM   #17
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
I was there with my son once.

Guy was there with his daughter to buy her a watch, he had no idea at all, and he was also a dick.

I had been chatting with the saleswoman, very nice person, jokingly asked her if she got an, "employee discount". Anyhow, this guy is standing near me, I ask him if he's interested in watches and he just gives me a look like I'm some leper. Sneers at me, stands there, then asks me a question if I think Patek is a good brand. I tell him it's top game, high horology at it's best. He sneers again, walks away.

So his daughter finally settles on a watch. He then snaps at the salesperson to wrap it up. The salesperson says it doesn't work that way, it's an 18 month waiting list for that watch.

Much humming and hawing and moans of frustration, him bullying the salesperson that he wants it, "NOW!", the daughter finally decides to wait the 18 months and then Dad asks the question I'd been waiting to hear - he says, "How much?"

The sales person then says with a smiling face, "$175,000, and we'll need a 30% deposit." I knew this was coming and chuckled a bit.

I swear he crapped his pants, he turned red, grabbed his daughter, and stormed out, didn't even say, "Thank-you" to the salesperson. I laughed at him as he walked by. The salesperson, she winks at me and laughs, guy was so unnecessarily rude.

Spectacular store, the watches on display, some of them over $1,000,000, works of art, spent over an hour looking around, staff was so nice.

For me, it was like an art gallery, such fantastic pieces to see, and for a guy from Toronto, New York and Tiffany's was such a blast. My daughter had her picture taken by the sign for her own, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" photo.

I'd go just to look at all the watches, some really spectacular pieces, in big single display cases with a write up on them.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 05:54 AM   #18
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
I was there with my son once.

Guy was there with his daughter to buy her a watch, he had no idea at all, and he was also a dick.

I had been chatting with the saleswoman, very nice person, jokingly asked her if she got an, "employee discount". Anyhow, this guy is standing near me, I ask him if he's interested in watches and he just gives me a look like I'm some leper. Sneers at me, stands there, then asks me a question if I think Patek is a good brand. I tell him it's top game, high horology at it's best. He sneers again, walks away.

So his daughter finally settles on a watch. He then snaps at the salesperson to wrap it up. The salesperson says it doesn't work that way, it's an 18 month waiting list for that watch.

Much humming and hawing and moans of frustration, him bullying the salesperson that he wants it, "NOW!", the daughter finally decides to wait the 18 months and then Dad asks the question I'd been waiting to hear - he says, "How much?"

The sales person then says with a smiling face, "$175,000, and we'll need a 30% deposit." I knew this was coming and chuckled a bit.

I swear he crapped his pants, he turned red, grabbed his daughter, and stormed out, didn't even say, "Thank-you" to the salesperson. I laughed at him as he walked by. The salesperson, she winks at me and laughs, guy was so unnecessarily rude.

Spectacular store, the watches on display, some of them over $1,000,000, works of art, spent over an hour looking around, staff was so nice.

For me, it was like an art gallery, such fantastic pieces to see, and for a guy from Toronto, New York and Tiffany's was such a blast. My daughter had her picture taken by the sign for her own, "Breakfast at Tiffany's" photo.

I'd go just to look at all the watches, some really spectacular pieces, in big single display cases with a write up on them.

Cool story! I wonder if the saleslady you mention is Kelly from the GQ article. That would be even cooler.

Old 10 August 2020, 06:02 AM   #19
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Waitlist? That might be wishful thinking im afraid for such hot pieces - but good luck, worth a try
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:05 AM   #20
Phrank
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
Quote:
Cool story! I wonder if the saleslady you mention is Kelly from the GQ article. That would be even cooler.

That was 10-11 years ago, so if she was there then could be.

All the single watches in display cases with write ups on them, many well over $1,000,000, decades old, one of a kind, I was just mesmerized the entire time I was there, loved it.

And yes, the main floor was amazing, like stepping into an old movie, think we all spent about 3 hours there, wife and daughter did well, but alas, no Patek for me, turns out we still need our home to live in lol.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 06:16 AM   #21
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrank View Post
That was 10-11 years ago, so if she was there then could be.

All the single watches in display cases with write ups on them, many well over $1,000,000, decades old, one of a kind, I was just mesmerized the entire time I was there, loved it.

And yes, the main floor was amazing, like stepping into an old movie, think we all spent about 3 hours there, wife and daughter did well, but alas, no Patek for me, turns out we still need our home to live in lol.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Personally though, I can’t justify paying a premium for a Tiffany stamped Patek. Like I am considering next summer buying a 5167a grey and paying premium for that. Anyways thanks for sharing.
Old 10 August 2020, 07:30 AM   #22
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Miami View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun. Personally though, I can’t justify paying a premium for a Tiffany stamped Patek. Like I am considering next summer buying a 5167a grey and paying premium for that. Anyways thanks for sharing.

Pretty sure your grey 5167a will cost a ton
More than a Tiffany 5167a at retail...

Old 10 August 2020, 07:57 AM   #23
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Pretty sure your grey 5167a will cost a ton
More than a Tiffany 5167a at retail...

I saw on chrono24 a 5167a Tiffany for $96k I believe. Now I know those are not selling prices and just asking prices, but Im fairly certain the Tiffany ones cost more. I saw on European Watch company a 5164a Tiffany for $115k. On same site, a regular 5164a was around $60k. Just saying.
Old 10 August 2020, 07:59 AM   #24
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I saw on chrono24 a 5167a Tiffany for $96k I believe. Now I know those are not selling prices and just asking prices, but Im fairly certain the Tiffany ones cost more. I saw on European Watch company a 5164a Tiffany for $115k. On same site, a regular 5164a was around $60k. Just saying.

Oh misunderstanding - thought you meant Tiffany 5167a at retail not Grey

Old 10 August 2020, 08:05 AM   #25
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Oh misunderstanding - thought you meant Tiffany 5167a at retail not Grey

Yes that was what I meant. Sorry for confusion.
Old 10 August 2020, 08:06 AM   #26
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Tiffany’s doesn’t charge a premium.

GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 08:18 AM   #27
PPcollector
"TRF" Member

Definitely a No-No to mention any sports watches as the first watch you want from Tiffany Patek Salon. There are more than enough people on that wait list for several lifetimes! If the 5711 is the watch you are lusting for from Tiffany then maybe putting down your name will eventually be picked up by your great grandchildren.

Seriously!
PPcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2020, 08:25 AM   #28
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPcollector View Post
Definitely a No-No to mention any sports watches as the first watch you want from Tiffany Patek Salon. There are more than enough people on that wait list for several lifetimes! If the 5711 is the watch you are lusting for from Tiffany then maybe putting down your name will eventually be picked up by your great grandchildren.

Seriously!

Thanks for this tip. This is exactly the information I want to hear out of my post.

It’s sad though that I’m going there for interest in a specific piece (5167A or 5167R) but not mention it. I work in technology and people are pretty modest so that’s as flashy as I can get... at least at work. I’m still looking at buying more pieces but honestly it would be nice to get what I want as my first piece.

If it were the case, my grandchildren would be happy since they don’t have to wait that long :D

Old 10 August 2020, 08:40 AM   #29
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for this tip. This is exactly the information I want to hear out of my post.

It’s sad though that I’m going there for interest in a specific piece (5167A or 5167R) but not mention it. I work in technology and people are pretty modest so that’s as flashy as I can get... at least at work. I’m still looking at buying more pieces but honestly it would be nice to get what I want as my first piece.

If it were the case, my grandchildren would be happy since they don’t have to wait that long :D

Honestly I wish it was different but in the last year I went through what you are about to go through. For me these watches are not worth the premium on the secondary market but if you really want one that’s the only way. I feel like every day there is a new thread asking the same question in a different way... sadly the answer is always the same. No PP SS watches for normal people as their first watch. Fair or not that’s the state of the watch world.
Old 10 August 2020, 08:48 AM   #30
westoque
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Honestly I wish it was different but in the last year I went through what you are about to go through. For me these watches are not worth the premium on the secondary market but if you really want one that’s the only way. I feel like every day there is a new thread asking the same question in a different way... sadly the answer is always the same. No PP SS watches for normal people as their first watch. Fair or not that’s the state of the watch world.

Good point. Definitely beating a dead horse with regards to getting a PP SS and didn’t want my post to specifically point this out. If it’s pay to play then it looks like it’s where we’re going. The 5396R and 5524G isn’t looking bad at all. If I can at least try those at the Tiffany store then it would be worth. They have both those models online so hope they have it in-house.