The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 March 2018, 06:24 AM   #1
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
The Games AD's play

I walked into an AD this afternoon looking for one of the hard to find Rolex SD43. As always, it wasn't in the case, but I did ask the saleslady about it's availability. She said they did not have one in stock at the moment. I mentioned to her I called a week ago asking about it's availability and was told they are taking orders for the watch but on the condition payment is made in full.

I asked about ETA on the order. She said up to 3 months. I told her I wasn't keen on waiting that long for it. She asked me to have a seat and went to get the manager.

When she and the manager came back, I mentioned that I was a previous customer and purchased a YM2 SS from them. When I told them my name, they pulled a sheet of paper out with my full name on it and the words Rolex Sea Dweller on it. I do recall I emailed them about the Sea Dweller over a month ago and figured they probably took down my info in case one ever came in. Still, it was kind of odd to see.

At that point, the saleslady asked the manager if she should show me the watch......to which I'm thinking to myself, WTF you told me you didn't have one in stock.

The saleslady goes away to one of the locked drawers beneath the display of Rolex watches and pulls out the Rolex SD43 in red writing still inside it's plastic coffin!!!!!!! She pulls out the jewellers tray and hands me the watch. I've seen it before so there was nothing new to see.

I asked her if this watch was spoken for and she said yes, it was.

She then asked if I still wanted to put the order in. I told her I had my name on a few other lists with other dealers and my concern was missing out on an opportunity to get it earlier (which I actually did, but that's another story). I told her I'd need some time to think about this to which she said "Well, you could be missing out on being able to get this watch early. Next time it may be longer". She was disappointed I didn't pay for the pre-order.

I walked away.

Guys, I'm thinking about this now and wondering if the AD was lying to me about that watch being spoken for. I'm wondering that had I committed and bought that watch today, she'd have given me the one she showed me. I think they're pulling a fast one so that they don't have to discount these things. They keep it in the drawer, pull it out after you show real interest, and if you pay up front, hand you the watch.

Let me know what you all think as I would go back tomorrow and pull the trigger on this thing.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 11:19 AM   #2
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Post posted in wrong section btw. Def sounds like silly games but don’t expect discount on sd43 anyway.

Last edited by Rrpdc; 4 March 2018 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Typo
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 03:01 PM   #3
ckaynyc
"TRF" Member

You should’ve called her bluff.
ckaynyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2018, 11:35 PM   #4
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Its probably next to impossible to work out what some ADs are doing regarding some sales....I suspect that some might take a decision dependent upon the situation at that very moment. I doubt that there is any hard and fast approach to much of this. Certainly not a great way to do business for potential buyers!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2018, 12:42 PM   #5
goesbang03
"TRF" Member

I had a similar situation at one of my local ad, same type of thing. I left and went to the next one and bought it.
goesbang03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2018, 09:47 AM   #6
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
My AD likes poker.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 04:26 AM   #7
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Same watch - my AD showed me it and said I needed to spend money elsewhere in the store for the right to buy it. If I wanted to buy my wife some jewelry, he'd let me buy the SD43.
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 04:48 AM   #8
dweezil
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43, Omega AT DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
I walked into an AD this afternoon looking for one of the hard to find Rolex SD43. As always, it wasn't in the case, but I did ask the saleslady about it's availability. She said they did not have one in stock at the moment. I mentioned to her I called a week ago asking about it's availability and was told they are taking orders for the watch but on the condition payment is made in full.

I asked about ETA on the order. She said up to 3 months. I told her I wasn't keen on waiting that long for it. She asked me to have a seat and went to get the manager.

When she and the manager came back, I mentioned that I was a previous customer and purchased a YM2 SS from them. When I told them my name, they pulled a sheet of paper out with my full name on it and the words Rolex Sea Dweller on it. I do recall I emailed them about the Sea Dweller over a month ago and figured they probably took down my info in case one ever came in. Still, it was kind of odd to see.

At that point, the saleslady asked the manager if she should show me the watch......to which I'm thinking to myself, WTF you told me you didn't have one in stock.

The saleslady goes away to one of the locked drawers beneath the display of Rolex watches and pulls out the Rolex SD43 in red writing still inside it's plastic coffin!!!!!!! She pulls out the jewellers tray and hands me the watch. I've seen it before so there was nothing new to see.

I asked her if this watch was spoken for and she said yes, it was.

She then asked if I still wanted to put the order in. I told her I had my name on a few other lists with other dealers and my concern was missing out on an opportunity to get it earlier (which I actually did, but that's another story). I told her I'd need some time to think about this to which she said "Well, you could be missing out on being able to get this watch early. Next time it may be longer". She was disappointed I didn't pay for the pre-order.

I walked away.

Guys, I'm thinking about this now and wondering if the AD was lying to me about that watch being spoken for. I'm wondering that had I committed and bought that watch today, she'd have given me the one she showed me. I think they're pulling a fast one so that they don't have to discount these things. They keep it in the drawer, pull it out after you show real interest, and if you pay up front, hand you the watch.

Let me know what you all think as I would go back tomorrow and pull the trigger on this thing.
The EXACT same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago, Toronto AD as well and prob the same one based on the payment up front.

So my story ends with me going back a week later, being told it could be several weeks longer then what I was told a week ago. still paid anyways. Now I wait....

did you pull the trigger?
dweezil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2018, 12:02 AM   #9
Rocmytims
"TRF" Member

This is an interesting story, thanks for the read going to see what games if any my local AD plays
Rocmytims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2018, 09:43 PM   #10
Ricehobbit
Banned

Watch: Rolex Daydate Onyx
oh yeah hell yeah
Ricehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote