The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 12 July 2018, 07:24 AM   #1
Magmir
"TRF" Member

Sourcing ROO Panda?

Hi AP folks, hope everyone is having a great week. For several years the ROO Panda has been my “grail” watch and I’d like to get one for my 40th (still several months away). Besides here and Chrono24 do you guys have any other suggested places to look? Davidsw had an incredible specimen for sale on here, but unfortunately I missed it (https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Panda).

Do deals like this come around somewhat often? The fact that it had the strap and bracelet, was in excellent condition, and all for under 16K was really appealing. I’d love to find a similar deal, but it seems like they usually have just the strap (which I prefer) or bracelet (but I’d love to have both, especially after seeing this ad). Any advice on potential places to look, things to watch out for, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Can’t wait to one day be an official member of this sub forum.
Magmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:28 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
First off welcome and congrats on eyeing your first AP.

Pandas are an old forum favorite and come around once in awhile. They use to be listed all the time but seems lately they are few and far between.

I would keep an eye out here on the forum and maybe even post a WTB (wanted to buy ad). If you do this clarify you are only looking to deal with established members as you are asking for scammers to try you. Check references on who is who before you do anything.

Be sure to factor in the cost of a full service as APs tend to require service more often that other brands I have owned. Figure 1500 and you’ll be covered for 2 years after the service. I say this as someone who loves AP and happy to pay to play.

You should watch out for overpolished examples and any indications that the watch has been serviced by a third party. Buy the seller. I can’t stress that enough because established sellers will bend over backwards to take care of you. They have 7 figure reputations to protect.

Last but not least....I’d entertain buying one new with a 5 year warranty. It’s feel good and you could get a diver for similar money.

Cheers
Old 12 July 2018, 08:50 PM   #3
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I find the Panda is a great watch to wear with suits or casually. It gets a lot of wear, and is my go-to business travel watch

I’ve got mine on steel and and absolutely love the bracelet - definitely get one with the bracelet to start with. Adding this later is relatively expensive.

My personal preference is for the newer design clasp at the back (like this one https://timepiece360.ae/audemars-pig...nda-steel.html), not the one seen on this reference (https://www.timeworld.ch/product/aud...-1000st-01-2/#)

Factor in the cost of a service (and hope you don’t need this for a couple of years), and look for one that hasn’t been polished (seems there are plenty of safe queens around)

There is one for sale on in the for sale section that has been bumped for a while - may be worth checking out

A couple of shots of mine below

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 10:55 PM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Panda ROO is an awesome 42mm, my fave of the 42s. I would get it on a strap, which I prefer to the bracelet, and it will be easier to source than with both. Plus you can put a rubber strap on it and a white strap for summer, so you can have lots of variety anyway.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 11:02 PM   #5
Magmir
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have a bit over ten months until my bday so I’m
Going to take my time and wait for the right watch / seller. I’d love to go new and do like the diver a lot, but my heart has been set on the Panda for so long and I truly love the watch (even more than many pricier / newer APs). Something about it just does it for me. I had no idea about the updated bracelet so I will also keep my eye out for that, as well as trying to find one with recent service.
Magmir is offline   Reply With Quote