The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 19 July 2018, 01:51 PM   #1
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Custom Home Build Tips

I’m seeking advice from anyone who has built a custom home before. We’re in the process of working with an architect and an engineer on our new house project. It’s a lot of fun but also very overwhelming. We’re through our second draft on the plans and hoping that we will have a finished product soon. There’s so much to think about. So if you’ve gone through the custom home project and you have any advice I’d love to hear it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 July 2018, 02:21 PM   #2
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Build a timeline on completion ASAP.
You don’t want the project to stagnate. It’s a waste of time and money.
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 02:21 PM   #3
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Here is a good start.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=565391

I’m sure Joey would have plenty of advice for you...

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 03:41 PM   #4
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
I assume you intend that the architect will closely supervise the build.
You and your architect need to know your project thoroughly and be 'in-tune'.
Custom projects are all about the detail and go wrong the moment you look away.
Plan to spend a lot of time checking what is happening daily right down to the small details. Between you and the architect you have a good chance of jumping on 'variations' before they require rework.
Everything I have stuffed up was because I assumed that the builder/renovator would make certain choices/decisions/judgments. You know what they say about "assume".

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 08:21 PM   #5
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post

Put your timeline in the contract. Along with materials specs and specific quality standards, you want the schedule to be contractually obligated. Include penalties and required corrective actions for missed milestones.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:24 PM   #6
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeTee View Post

Agree. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleddog View Post
Here is a good start.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=565391

I’m sure Joey would have plenty of advice for you...

Awesome. I’ll read all about his. Maybe I’ll post a similar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post

Put your timeline in the contract. Along with materials specs and specific quality standards, you want the schedule to be contractually obligated. Include penalties and required corrective actions for missed milestones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I assume you intend that the architect will closely supervise the build.
You and your architect need to know your project thoroughly and be 'in-tune'.
Custom projects are all about the detail and go wrong the moment you look away.
Plan to spend a lot of time checking what is happening daily right down to the small details. Between you and the architect you have a good chance of jumping on 'variations' before they require rework.
Everything I have stuffed up was because I assumed that the builder/renovator would make certain choices/decisions/judgments. You know what they say about "assume".

All good tips thanks!!

Old 19 July 2018, 09:26 PM   #7
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'm sure you'll get the tips and advice you're looking for Keep us posted, Josh. Sounds exciting
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:29 PM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’ve built two custom homes and my advice is to hire a top notch general contractor to do the build.

Architects / Engineers are wonderful to work with and have great ideas. A good general will get the job done and make practical recommendations on how to best complete the project.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2018, 09:35 PM   #9
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I’ve built two custom homes and my advice is to hire a top notch general contractor to do the build.

Architects / Engineers are wonderful to work with and have great ideas. A good general will get the job done and make practical recommendations on how to best complete the project.

Our next step is to bid out the project to a few builders and GC’s as soon as we have the plans complete or as complete as possible. We have some good relationships with a few builders so hopefully that process isn’t too painful.

Old 19 July 2018, 09:37 PM   #10
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Custom Home Build Tips

Here’s a diagram of our property. It’s about 8.5 acres. It’s only down the street from our current house so that makes moving a little more convenient.

Here’s a very very rough sketch of the outside. I have a few more updated pictures but haven’t scanned them yet.

Old 19 July 2018, 09:48 PM   #11
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Our next step is to bid out the project to a few builders and GC’s as soon as we have the plans complete or as complete as possible. We have some good relationships with a few builders so hopefully that process isn’t too painful.

This is the most critical step/choice IMHO. Selecting a general contractor you can trust and one who does excellent work will make your project SO much easier and enjoyable.

You definitely get what you pay for.

Best of luck to you
Old 19 July 2018, 10:10 PM   #12
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This is the most critical step/choice IMHO. Selecting a general contractor you can trust and one who does excellent work will make your project SO much easier and enjoyable.

Best of luck to you

I’m looking forward to that step. Although not so much finding out how much this project is going to cost

Old 19 July 2018, 10:12 PM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’m looking forward to that step. Although not so much finding out how much this project is going to cost

You're in for a whole world of hurt $$$

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 20 July 2018, 12:29 AM   #14
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I'm sitting in my newly completed house in the woods and hoping you post a build thread. My spouse and I thoroughly enjoyed every step of our project, but it's a lot of work and requires a lot of research. Some thoughts:

Whatever your budget is, be prepared to exceed it with "might-as-wells."

It's difficult to imagine what the completed house will look like from plans and even walk-through computer programs. Our completed house feels much larger than what we drew on paper.

Choosing your general contractor is critical. My brother builds multi-million dollar houses in Fargo. I couldn't afford him under normal circumstances, but he gave me the "friends and family discount." When in doubt about anything, I asked him, "What would you do if this was your house?" His advice was always spot on.

Go with first impressions when picking stone, paint, hardware, stains, etc. There were days where we picked lighting, fireplace stone, flooring and cabinet hardware in three hours, including travel time between stores.

Decide ahead of time with your SO/spouse that each will defer to the other when one has a strong opinion about something and the other doesn't. We didn't have a single argument about the house.

Be patient. Delays happen. Subcontractor schedules conflict at times. Unexpected expenses will arise. I have to spend $20,000 to landscape and shore up the edge of my circular driveway due to erosion. There is no alternative, so I just have to accept it.

In retrospect, the most crucial decisions we made were picking exterior and fireplace stone, designing the cabinets, picking the stain color, choosing the flooring and choosing the siding.

Try to choose a theme and stick with it. We went with a rustic mountain theme, and everyone who comes to the house says it looks like a mountain home. Mission accomplished.

No matter how long the project takes, one day soon, you'll move into your new house and enjoy every aspect of it. PM me anytime if you have any questions about the process. I'm no expert, but I'll gladly share my experience.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 03:38 AM   #15
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I'm sitting in my newly completed house in the woods and hoping you post a build thread. My spouse and I thoroughly enjoyed every step of our project, but it's a lot of work and requires a lot of research. Some thoughts:

Whatever your budget is, be prepared to exceed it with "might-as-wells."

It's difficult to imagine what the completed house will look like from plans and even walk-through computer programs. Our completed house feels much larger than what we drew on paper.

Choosing your general contractor is critical. My brother builds multi-million dollar houses in Fargo. I couldn't afford him under normal circumstances, but he gave me the "friends and family discount." When in doubt about anything, I asked him, "What would you do if this was your house?" His advice was always spot on.

Go with first impressions when picking stone, paint, hardware, stains, etc. There were days where we picked lighting, fireplace stone, flooring and cabinet hardware in three hours, including travel time between stores.

Decide ahead of time with your SO/spouse that each will defer to the other when one has a strong opinion about something and the other doesn't. We didn't have a single argument about the house.

Be patient. Delays happen. Subcontractor schedules conflict at times. Unexpected expenses will arise. I have to spend $20,000 to landscape and shore up the edge of my circular driveway due to erosion. There is no alternative, so I just have to accept it.

In retrospect, the most crucial decisions we made were picking exterior and fireplace stone, designing the cabinets, picking the stain color, choosing the flooring and choosing the siding.

Try to choose a theme and stick with it. We went with a rustic mountain theme, and everyone who comes to the house says it looks like a mountain home. Mission accomplished.

No matter how long the project takes, one day soon, you'll move into your new house and enjoy every aspect of it. PM me anytime if you have any questions about the process. I'm no expert, but I'll gladly share my experience.

This is all great advice. I’m sure I’ll be sending you a PM for more info!

I’ll start a build thread that sounds like fun!

Thanks again!

Old 20 July 2018, 03:53 AM   #16
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Here’s a diagram of our property. It’s about 8.5 acres. It’s only down the street from our current house so that makes moving a little more convenient.

Are you on the edge of the cliff or under it?
Old 20 July 2018, 03:58 AM   #17
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Are you on the edge of the cliff or under it?

The right side where the house is going to go has a manageable slope. We will grade about 2 acres of it and make it flat. There is a walking trail along the boarder so our plan is to move the dirt from the elevated side down to the bottom and create more of a barrier while leveling out the grade.

The left side is much more steep. It’s fully wooded right now so we will just leave the left side as is.

Old 20 July 2018, 05:07 AM   #18
Brenngun
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:

Quote:

Best of luck to you

At the risk of repeating these comments this really is the most important decision you will ever make in this process. Your GC will either be your dream or your nightmare. I've done this 3 times and have had both types of GC's. I implore you to spend a lot of time researching your GC. You need to get this right the first time. A mistake will cost you double in the long run. Looks like a nice project. Enjoy the process. Good Luck

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 05:42 AM   #19
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Don't go with a builder that will give you the shortest time, as this will not happen.

Go with the one you are most confident in. If his timeline is 6 months longer, chances are he is being honest with you, and the builder who quoted you 6 months less, will extend it for 6 months anyway.

In TRF words, buy the seller.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 05:57 AM   #20
fkim011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky Dweller
I think the GC is the most important guy in this whole process. I would see the previous work he's done and how realistic his timeline was. As you go through the different meetings with various GC's and see the bidding process pan itself out....you will get an idea of the different personalities, who possess a higher attention to detail etc...

I think I would stay away from the guy who is cheapest because they purposely underbid it or try to cut corners when you're not looking...
fkim011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 06:10 AM   #21
Pix
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust
Add 30% in overruns to the bid!
Pix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:09 AM   #22
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pix View Post
Add 30% in overruns to the bid!

Ha yeah! I’ve heard that before! Man that can be quite an extra chunk of change.

Old 20 July 2018, 07:16 AM   #23
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
Another cost consideration is furnishing the new house. We downsized from 3,750 square feet to 2,600, so we kept the furniture we liked the most and gave away the rest. If you are upsizing, furnishings will add significantly to the cost of the project.

Regarding the general contractor, unless you know someone and their work already, ask to see homes the GC has built AND talk to the people he/she has built for.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 07:45 AM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Consider having a lawyer experienced in construction draw up your contract with the GC. You will spend more money locking down the contractor, but you won’t get all the over runs and delays either. Your architect will line out all the shalls in the specs and construction process. Your lawyer will line out all the responsibilities and timelines. No surprises makes for a better build IME.
Old 20 July 2018, 07:49 AM   #25
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Hire a reputable builder with numerous houses built. Make sure your builder is well capitalized, don't want to find out your payments are financing another project because the contractor has money problems.

Is it an open book deal (cost plus) so you see the guts of the deal? Or is it one number, this is what you get? Open book is better, you have more control over costs.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 08:08 AM   #26
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Aren’t you landlocked from the cul de sac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2018, 12:42 PM   #27
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Aren’t you landlocked from the cul de sac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There’s a right of way from the other side of the property. However we bought a small parcel on that cul de sac to give us enough land to use the cul de sac as an entry point. We also are buying a piece of land in between the two houses on the left of the cul de sac to enter from that area as well as its flatter and closer to where we will position the house. It was a bit of a pain but now that it’s mostly done it gives a lot more options.

Old 20 July 2018, 11:23 PM   #28
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Here’s a diagram showing the property we’re buying from the neighbors that would give us access closer to where we want to put the house.