The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 October 2017, 09:17 AM   #1
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16333
question re: warranty

I purchased my first PAM (388) not too long ago (great transaction). It’s a year old and has a year left of the warranty. After 3 weeks it stopped running (just stopped....) Despite winding, checking the positions etc it would not start again. I sent it to the Dallas repair facility (after speaking to them). The customer service was wonderful. But now I got the written estimate and they said they recommended a $260 maintenance service (but said the finding was that the movement accuracy was within specifications). I need to call them tomorrow for more clarification, but wouldn’t it still be covered under warranty? And if the findings were that it’s running within specs, why would it need a maintenance service after a year? I’ll find out if they got it running again but I was curious what people’s thoughts were about this. You can pm if you’d like. I did send the warranty booklet with the watch. hoping it was just an error. Thanks in advance for any information or thoughts (or advice).

A
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4F8573A5-20B3-4C8A-8F43-4910D3BE971E.jpeg (90.4 KB, 123 views)
A.D. Merrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 01:27 PM   #2
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
so the watch wasn't working when you sent it in but now it is? very odd.

i've had nothing but great experiences with pasc and their staff. hopefully you can get it sorted.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Basic service would not be covered. If it is working within specs, just decline and have them send it back
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2017, 09:12 PM   #4
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I’ll talk to them today and see what’s doing.
Old 12 October 2017, 09:27 PM   #5
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
so the watch wasn't working when you sent it in but now it is? very odd.

i've had nothing but great experiences with pasc and their staff. hopefully you can get it sorted.
It's confusing to say the least.

OP I hope you get done clarification from them as to why the watch stopped running and what specifically caused that to happen.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 04:34 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You sent in the watch as "Watch not working"

Service said "Watch is working within specs"

So, there is no warranty issue for them to address, but a bit of a puzzle why it is running for them but not you.

However, if it were mine, for 260 bucks I would get back a serviced and oiled precision instrument that is good for years of use. I would do it for peace of mind
Old 13 October 2017, 05:26 AM   #7
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Got the answer. There’s a ding around the 1pm area of the bezel and they said that the warranty is void because it suffered a high impact which caused the dial to move. It works now and I’m having them just ship it back to me. It didn’t stop running when i got the ding, but either way I think I’m done with Panerai’s and will stick with Rolex. Disappointing to me how this all turned out (and that I no longer have the remainder of my 1 yr warranty).
Old 13 October 2017, 05:34 AM   #8
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You sent in the watch as "Watch not working"

Service said "Watch is working within specs"

So, there is no warranty issue for them to address, but a bit of a puzzle why it is running for them but not you.

However, if it were mine, for 260 bucks I would get back a serviced and oiled precision instrument that is good for years of use. I would do it for peace of mind
They said the dial moved and attributed that to the 1:00 “ding”. When they moved the dial back that must have addressed the problem. But now the warranty is apparently voided because they said i caused the damage (from getting a ding).
Old 13 October 2017, 05:38 AM   #9
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D. Merrill View Post
Got the answer. There’s a ding around the 1pm area of the bezel and they said that the warranty is void because it suffered a high impact which caused the dial to move. It works now and I’m having them just ship it back to me. It didn’t stop running when i got the ding, but either way I think I’m done with Panerai’s and will stick with Rolex. Disappointing to me how this all turned out (and that I no longer have the remainder of my 1 yr warranty).
Did you drop it?
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 05:47 AM   #10
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Did you drop it?
The ding wasn’t from a fall. I remember when it happened (walking into my office). i remember I was annoyed that it dinged so easily. But that was 2+ weeks before it stopped running. That didn’t cause it to stop running. I’m sure of that.
Old 13 October 2017, 05:52 AM   #11
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
The ding wasn’t from a fall. I remember when it happened (walking into my office). i remember I was annoyed that it dinged so easily. But that was 2+ weeks before it stopped running. That didn’t cause it to stop running. I’m sure of that.
i’ve dinged many a panerai and never had that happen.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 07:25 AM   #12
mfer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They really need to learn their lesson. So many have been put off of Panerai due to their lack of service. I’ve had issues as well. Love the design, service stories are true.

The one caveat with your story is that it still works. I’m a little puzzled by their reply how it works and he dial was moved. This is their concerning lack of service if you ask me.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 07:56 AM   #13
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
They really need to learn their lesson. So many have been put off of Panerai due to their lack of service. I’ve had issues as well. Love the design, service stories are true.

The one caveat with your story is that it still works. I’m a little puzzled by their reply how it works and he dial was moved. This is their concerning lack of service if you ask me.
I agree completely. I have always wanted to try a Panerai and was blown away with my first purchase. I love everything about my 388 (I already got hooked on buying extra straps. I have a D9 ammo strap currently on order as my newest edition). I will be adding another watch to the stable soon and actually was leaning towards another PAM (likely a 233). If I don’t get another PAM it would be one of the new Rolex 41mm’s. However, despite how much i love the look and feel of the 388, I was surprised how “delicate” it seems to be for an Italian Military history type watch (mine is high polished and very unforgiving with dings, etc). Maybe the crown protector is a necessity... And as nice as the folks at PASC we’re with me, no amount of questions that I asked gave me any real confidence that they wanted to take care of me as oppose to them trying to find a way to not honor their warranty (and I do get the service not being under warranty even though I disagree that the 1:00 ding caused the dial to move. I’m not a watchmaker but I don’t even know how that would be possible). Im more disappointed and actually shocked that they are using that ding as a way to say my warranty is now voided and any further problems could likely be related to this ding (even though they also said everything is mechanically within specs and working fine). It doesn’t make sense. The $260 service fee they wanted (which wasn’t needed unless I wanted a polishing for the $260 plus $100) and voiding my warranty for something that is unrelated to the ding is now going to likely cause me to give up on future PAMS (especially new ones as I have no confidence they’d stand behind their warranty). The watch works, the dial just slightly moved and now I have lost the remainder of the next 11 mths of warranty because i dinged it? I never dealt with this type of issue with Rolex. I just hope when it is returned to me I do not have any further problems (but if I do, it will go straight to Rik for the service work).

A
Old 13 October 2017, 08:01 AM   #14
mfer
"TRF" Member

Problem is Rick can’t do the 388. To much risk as he cannot get parts. I’d tell you to get a good 183 instead. Serviceable movement by many. If you have to have auto, 187
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 08:11 AM   #15
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfer View Post
Problem is Rick can’t do the 388. To much risk as he cannot get parts. I’d tell you to get a good 183 instead. Serviceable movement by many. If you have to have auto, 187
Thanks. It’s funny, right after I wrote that I thought “I wonder if Rik services these in house movements”. That’s too bad, Rik has done a few other watches for me (and an incredible job on my ‘79 Presidential) and id trust him with any of my watches. I’m going to have to hope for the best and insure it through my “Personal Valuables” with my insurance company. I’m still shaking my head at this....
Old 13 October 2017, 08:27 AM   #16
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

here was the explanation i originally received
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DEAAD6FC-0AE1-4D0F-85E6-EB3CAD4565D9.jpeg (102.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 13 October 2017, 10:30 AM   #17
The OG Beef
"TRF" Member

Sure you didn’t drop it, ding at one o’clock aside?
The OG Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2017, 10:39 AM   #18
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OG Beef View Post
Sure you didn’t drop it, ding at one o’clock aside?
The ding was from walking into my office and my wrist hit the doorway as I walked through. The ding actually isn’t even that big. I even have pictures of the watch with the ding running fine (for the next two weeks) and then a pic of the watch the day I sent it in (and now that I know it’s the dial that moved I can see it in the picture before i sent it. The lum disc is slightly visible in it).
Old 13 October 2017, 12:26 PM   #19
A.D. Merrill
"TRF" Member

update : I’ve been going back and forth in my mind about this. I was initially taken back and very upset (I am still not happy). However, if they haven’t shipped my watch back yet, I will move forward with a basic service for peace of mind. Since I cannot have Rik service it and it may need something down the road I might as well start fresh and have them service it. I want to be sure there is nothing else wrong with this watch and I want to start over with a clean slate so I can enjoy wearing it and not worry that it will stop running again. I still do not believe the 1:00p ding caused this (but that wasn’t the only ding on the bezel. I’m clumsy and I know there are a couple smaller ones that I caused). I’ll have to be more careful. Thanks for all your responses.