The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 January 2018, 02:19 PM   #1
Karlig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Hulk
15400 Pricing

Have been looking for a good mint to new 15400, all stainless, silver dial, full set, for the last 8 months. Prices from trusted sellers were in the high 12,000 to mid 13,000 for late model mint watches. In the last few months prices have increased in the 20 - 25% range. Can’t quite figure this one out, does anyone have an idea of the market dynamics going on here? Thanks
Karlig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 02:31 PM   #2
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Same boat.... looking for a black face..
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 02:36 PM   #3
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I’ve noticed the increases too. I bought my 15400st silver dial 3.5 years ago for $11,300 BNIB, so I’m feeling pretty good about purchase. If I ever tire of it, I can afford to have it serviced before the sale to get top dollar and avoid an arguments over the condition.

The only thing I can figure is with Rolex prices going up, the trusted sellers are pushing these prices up too to stay ahead of Rolex pricing. Think about it - with prices pushing $9.9k for a BLNR the 15400st had to rise to protect the “value” of the AP.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 02:45 PM   #4
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I feel your pain. I bought my 15400 after Roger, aka after the last US price increase , and paid 13300 new from an AD. I traded it at a value of like 11k

You’re looking down the barrel of a HOT market.

I paid 21 for my jumbo and those were going for 18 all day just 6 months before I bought

Good luck timing this crap.
Old 20 January 2018, 04:56 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

its kingofthehill's fault ... and the 15400st price thread
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2018, 11:30 PM   #6
Sporkmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: peripherally
I was offered a new silver dial last month for 16K, watch was perfect but the wood box had a small scuff. I had been looking for one for three months so I jumped on it.
Sporkmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 12:53 AM   #7
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

AP playing with inventory within the 40,000 pcs/year. Expect even lower nos. next year when new line is launched.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 01:42 AM   #8
mineral
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hijack the thread. I also notice the smaller brother 15300 price also increased lately. Do you guys see this trend also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 January 2018, 03:00 AM   #9
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I think a lot of stainless steel watches across the board are experiencing a lack of inventory thus a firmer price or price increases. The Sub (date or no date) seems to be quite firm for both used and BNIB.

I kind of like the situation considering everyone who has bought one always like to get a pat on the back for "not" losing money.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 02:16 PM   #10
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I think a lot of stainless steel watches across the board are experiencing a lack of inventory thus a firmer price or price increases. The Sub (date or no date) seems to be quite firm for both used and BNIB.

I kind of like the situation considering everyone who has bought one always like to get a pat on the back for "not" losing money.
I totally agree.

If you prefer box and papers in your name the AP boutiques have all but the blue 15400’s available at retail.
Chute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 02:45 AM   #11
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I think it will stabilize. The 39mm sizing seems to be coming back to fad and prices along with it. That should bring the 41mm variants down some,
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2018, 04:24 AM   #12
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread. I also notice the smaller brother 15300 price also increased lately. Do you guys see this trend also?
Yes, for sure.

It helped me out as I was flipping a 15300 in order to fund my 116500 purchase. But right now it's a seller's market.
Old 10 July 2018, 12:12 PM   #13
watchywatchy
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, I'm thinking of purchasing the SS Royal Oak 15400 this weekend. White/silver dial.

Has anybody purchased an AP watch from Sydney Australia?

What is the general discount from an Authorized Dealer?
watchywatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:20 PM   #14
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchywatchy View Post
Hey guys, I'm thinking of purchasing the SS Royal Oak 15400 this weekend. White/silver dial.

Brand new no discount is the price I was told for the 15400 silver
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 12:54 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

I can’t speak for Sydney but discounts in the states are hard to come by and practically non existent. The market is even hotter than when the thread started.
Old 10 July 2018, 01:38 PM   #16
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I can’t speak for Sydney but discounts in the states are hard to come by and practically non existent. The market is even hotter than when the thread started.
So true. 18 months ago you could get 20% off without much negotiation, walk into a boutique to buy a blue 15400, or get a 15202 from a boutique with a short wait. Now no discounts anywhere and blue dial RO's are wait listed for a 1 year or longer.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 01:45 PM   #17
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
So true. 18 months ago you could get 20% off without much negotiation, walk into a boutique to buy a blue 15400, or get a 15202 from a boutique with a short wait. Now no discounts anywhere and blue dial RO's are wait listed for a 1 year or longer.
I read above on this thread: is it true there will be a brand new RO line coming out in 2019?

Or is that only for the ROC?
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 02:59 PM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
I read above on this thread: is it true there will be a brand new RO line coming out in 2019?

FHB hinted a new line was coming soon. Who knows what it will be but my guess is something on a strap. Time will tell.
Old 10 July 2018, 03:57 PM   #19
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I’m guessing a dress watch line also which will have an in-house chronograph movement.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2018, 12:41 AM   #20
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
FHB hinted a new line was coming soon. Who knows what it will be but my guess is something on a strap. Time will tell.
So not worth holding off on getting the 15400 now, out of fear it will be 'updated' next year?
I have a chance to get a silver one very soon, and don't think I should pass up the opportunity.
Old 11 July 2018, 12:54 AM   #21
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So not worth holding off on getting the 15400 now, out of fear it will be 'updated' next year?
I have a chance to get a silver one very soon, and don't think I should pass up the opportunity.
I’d bet 10k the 15400 lives on for 2019 without a major overhaul.
Old 11 July 2018, 01:56 AM   #22
chad362wiley
"TRF" Member

Quote:

0. if you can find one. even white and black are selling now. crazy.
Old 11 July 2018, 02:59 AM   #23
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I don't think there is a new RO line, but AP has mentioned they are refreshing or creating a new Jules Audemars line. AP needs to up their traditional dress watch game.

The 15400 already experienced a small refresh in the I series / 2015. The logos were updated and so did the bracelet.

The watch has only been out since 2012. The 15400 is still fairly young compared to how long some of the other previous generations have lasted.

If anyone is worried about prices, over time the previous generations tend to increase in value not decrease.
Old 11 July 2018, 03:31 AM   #24
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I don't think there is a new RO line, but AP has mentioned they are refreshing or creating a new Jules Audemars line. AP needs to up their traditional dress watch game.

The 15400 already experienced a small refresh in the I series / 2015. The logos were updated and so did the bracelet.

The watch has only been out since 2012. The 15400 is still fairly young compared to how long some of the other previous generations have lasted.

If anyone is worried about prices, over time the previous generations tend to increase in value not decrease.
thanks-- much appreciated, and makes sense.
It only reinforces my decision to move forward with the 15400.

BTW, how many days/week does your 15400 get wrist time relative to your other watches?
Old 11 July 2018, 03:55 AM   #25
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
thanks-- much appreciated, and makes sense.
It only reinforces my decision to move forward with the 15400.

BTW, how many days/week does your 15400 get wrist time relative to your other watches?
Usually on the weekends. It's not my daily wearer. I just purchased a new Explorer 1 for the daily attire (works dress up or down) and the daily office optics.
Old 11 July 2018, 12:22 PM   #26
watchywatchy
"TRF" Member

Im thinking of pushing GO on the white SS 15400 this weekend as I can't get the blue dial...

Australia selling it for $23890.

Although The AD said she can get me a blue dial in 7months...

So I Did you some thinking. As there is a waitlist for the SS Blue dial, does that mean they produce the Blue colour dial in Lesser numbers and therefore it's harder to get?

Or is it harder to get because everybody likes blue rather than the other 3 dials?

I can't figure it out haha.
Old 11 July 2018, 12:45 PM   #27
wiswrist
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Im thinking of pushing GO on the white SS 15400 this weekend as I can't get the blue dial...

So I Did you some thinking. As there is a waitlist for the SS Blue dial, does that mean they produce the Blue colour dial in Lesser numbers and therefore it's harder to get?

Or is it harder to get because everybody likes blue rather than the other 3 dials?

The blue dial 15400 is a boutique exclusive ... so yes, it is made in much fewer numbers than the other dial colors.
Old 11 July 2018, 01:05 PM   #28
supersam80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 26331ST
Quote:

Which AD said they can get the blue? Blue is exclusive to boutiques, closest to us is Singapore

Honestly if you can get the white in Australia that's impressive. I've visited hour glass in Sydney and Melbourne within the last few months both claimed they hadn't seen a 15400 for 6+ months
supersam80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2018, 05:45 PM   #29
watchywatchy
"TRF" Member

__ Hey "supersam80". my apologies I misheard what she said. There is no blue dial available. Only WHITE dial. Retail. $23,300.00 No discount. Not even $1 as she said it's even lucky that she has it in the first place (wasn't sure if she said that to close the sale...). But with your comment, seems like this is a hard watch to get?
I wonder what the resell value of this watch? Does it retain it's value?
Old 17 July 2018, 08:40 PM   #30
supersam80
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 26331ST
Quote:
__ Hey "supersam80". my apologies I misheard what she said. There is no blue dial available. Only WHITE dial. Retail. $23,300.00 No discount. Not even $1 as she said it's even lucky that she has it in the first place (wasn't sure if she said that to close the sale...). But with your comment, seems like this is a hard watch to get?
I wonder what the resell value of this watch? Does it retain it's value?
Easy enough to check on chrono24 or the classifieds here to see the resale value. It holds its value really well but that could change in an instant with an economic downturn.

Best to just buy watches you love and never want to sell rather than be concerned about values.

And yes, in my limited experience with AP hunting the white dial is not easy to get in Australia. Keep in mind too the 15400 is relatively inexpensive in Australia, eg Singapore it's closer to $25k sgd
supersam80 is offline   Reply With Quote