The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 15 July 2018, 08:17 AM   #1
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
How to set perpetual calendar and keep it going

Despite my reservations about Jaeger, I am contemplating buying an Ultra Thin Perpetual Calendar... So how do you set it and keep it going? I presume that re-setting the watch every time it stops is a pain in the rear. Is that a fair assessment? Do you have to use at winder at all times? How long does it take to reset the mechanism? Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.
Old 15 July 2018, 08:22 AM   #2
seal13il
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman View Post
Despite my reservations about Jaeger, I am contemplating buying an ultra-think perpetual calendar... So how do you set it and keep it going? I presume that re-setting the watch every time it stops is a pain in the rear. Is that a fair assessment? Do you have to use at winder at all times? How long does it take to reset the mechanism? Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.
I'm assuming you mean "ultra-thin"? Though I dont own one...I do have a few complicated movements...prob one of the more complex ones is my IWC Portuguese perpetual 500 year...the store had it setup for me and if it's not on my hand it's in the winder.....problem solved....well...till my grand grand grandson will need to take it with the extra calendar numbers sealed in a tube to a watch maker in 200 years or so lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
seal13il is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Corey986
"TRF" Member

While not a perpetual, I just went though the fun of resetting my Jaeger triple date after it sat out of the winder for two weeks. What a pain. I usually keep it in a winder won’t make that mistake again. My milgauss was the easiest to reset, so maybe when I’m short winder space I’ll just pull that one since it is time only.
Corey986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2018, 11:55 PM   #4
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
I don’t have that specific watch, but my Patek annual calendar takes about 2 minutes to setup, including the moon phase. Not that big a deal, took a little longer the first few times, but not a big deal anymore.

I would imagine the JLC perpetual is similar.

I don’t bother with a winder, I have allot of watches and I don’t mind setting the time on each when I decide to wear them, to each their own with the winder though.
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 02:28 AM   #5
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I would recommend getting a good winder like an Orbita.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 02:34 AM   #6
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I have an IWC perpetual. I had to send it in for service when the year dial wouldn't change. It took about 6 weeks for them to fix it and return the watch to me. Since then, I've had the watch run fast a couple of times. I just let it sit with the stem pulled out and restarted it when the correct date and time came up. I keep the watch on a winder when I'm not wearing it.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 02:58 AM   #7
endo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15703 & PP 5990
This was my one issue with a lot of perpetual calendars, if for any reason they run down it can be a PITA to re-set up.
Can't remember the brand, but i remember a friend of mine who's a watch maker cursing the QP that had be left in a safe for 2 years and needed an afternoon to set to the correct time/date.

Takes me a few seconds to reset the Moser, it has to be the most idiot proof QP around (perfect for me ;P)

endo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 04:56 AM   #8
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo View Post
This was my one issue with a lot of perpetual calendars, if for any reason they run down it can be a PITA to re-set up.

Can't remember the brand, but i remember a friend of mine who's a watch maker cursing the QP that had be left in a safe for 2 years and needed an afternoon to set to the correct time/date.

Takes me a few seconds to reset the Moser, it has to be the most idiot proof QP around (perfect for me ;P)

That’s a beautiful watch, but I can’t figure out the dial displays for a QP - how is the date information displayed ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 05:26 AM   #9
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Not that big of a deal, I rotate my watches every 10-15 days, the others are in the bank, so sure the 5712 takes a little setting, not a big problem and not stopping me from wanting a 5740, which is PC with moon phase, once it is set it will be good until it goes to the safe, if it is at home either get a winder or wind it before the PR stops, for me it isn't important, I find it nice to take a few minutes to set a watch
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2018, 06:17 AM   #10
endo
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15703 & PP 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
That’s a beautiful watch, but I can’t figure out the dial displays for a QP - how is the date information displayed ?
Tiny hand at 7 is the month, leap year indicator is on the rear :)
There's no day window, which might be a downer for some folk, but relative dial cleaness and easy to use fast forward/reverse date change makes up for it.
endo is offline   Reply With Quote