The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 3 July 2021, 05:22 PM   #1
The7
"TRF" Member

Rolex Day-Date President bracelet resizing

Hello, i am new here and i have this 18038 Day-Date with president bracelet from the South America(?) and i want to ad one more link to this bracelet. Is it possible to do it because this doesn't have any screws?

The7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2021, 03:07 AM   #2
MasterMindPL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ref. 14270
No screws, so it looks like you need to find same links and bracelet needs to be cut and welded by a skilled jeweler.
Old 9 July 2021, 07:24 AM   #3
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7 View Post
Hello, i am new here and i have this 18038 Day-Date with president bracelet from the South America(?) and i want to ad one more link to this bracelet. Is it possible to do it because this doesn't have any screws?
I don't own a President bracelet, so this comment is only based on what I have read.... but it seems like the previous owner removed all the links with screws and left the bracelet with only the fixed links. You see this sometimes with oyster bracelets as well if people have tiny wrists. You will likely need a skilled watchmaker to add back in that first "normal" link which will have a screw on it, then from there you could add additional screw-attached links yourself. But I'm guessing the first one will need to be installed by using the special tool to separate your current last link. The other thing to keep in mind is that not all links are the same width. Sometimes there is taper after the removable links so depending on how many were removed you may end up with a "step" between links versus a smooth transition.

tl;dr - I'd be seeking a Rolex AD or a good watchmaker at this point for next steps.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 05:29 PM   #4
The7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMindPL View Post
No screws, so it looks like you need to find same links and bracelet needs to be cut and welded by a skilled jeweler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
I don't own a President bracelet, so this comment is only based on what I have read.... but it seems like the previous owner removed all the links with screws and left the bracelet with only the fixed links. You see this sometimes with oyster bracelets as well if people have tiny wrists. You will likely need a skilled watchmaker to add back in that first "normal" link which will have a screw on it, then from there you could add additional screw-attached links yourself. But I'm guessing the first one will need to be installed by using the special tool to separate your current last link. The other thing to keep in mind is that not all links are the same width. Sometimes there is taper after the removable links so depending on how many were removed you may end up with a "step" between links versus a smooth transition.

tl;dr - I'd be seeking a Rolex AD or a good watchmaker at this point for next steps.

Thank you for your answers. I contacted my local Rolex AD and they just said they don't have spare parts for this model. I already have two links with screws and i am okay if one link would have to be destroyed so one link with screw can be added to the bracelet. Have to contact other places to get opinion about this.
Old 13 July 2021, 03:15 AM   #5
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
Nothing about that bracelet or the clasp (especially the clasp and it's markings) looks right to me.

But I'm no expert.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2021, 09:38 PM   #6
The7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
Nothing about that bracelet or the clasp (especially the clasp and it's markings) looks right to me.

But I'm no expert.
Yes i have heard it is D'Agosto bracelet (made under the license) and they used to build these in Venezuela because the tax reasons. I've seen few other models with D'A bracelet too.
Old 15 July 2021, 12:54 PM   #7
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
I competent jeweler or watchmaker can take care of that for you.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 August 2021, 10:21 PM   #8
The7
"TRF" Member

I visited couple places (jeweler and Rolex AD) and they haven't seen bracelet without screws before and they just said that they don't want to do it. Have to keep looking then. Maybe other countries have good and skilled jeweler to do it?
Old 11 August 2021, 09:52 AM   #9
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7 View Post
I visited couple places (jeweler and Rolex AD) and they haven't seen bracelet without screws before and they just said that they don't want to do it. Have to keep looking then. Maybe other countries have good and skilled jeweler to do it?
DA bracelets from south america are different in structure, they have non solid centre pieces, rolled gold loop, they can be altered but you need a gold smith /jeweller
Old 9 February 2022, 04:56 AM   #10
wilsonpepper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Or, the bracelet was 'sized" for the owner, and and the AD, used gold solder to fill the
screw heads, and then filed and polished thr edge smooth.

Have seen this on many 18038, and 18238.
wilsonpepper is offline   Reply With Quote