The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 August 2021, 09:21 AM   #1
bendangs
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114300(blue)
Thoughts on the Heritage Chronos?

I feel they are somewhat under appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8475.JPG (158.1 KB, 529 views)
bendangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 09:15 PM   #2
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I agree. I have one and think it is a very cool watch. Once discontinued it will surge. Look for a new model soon with an updated movement. My speculation.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 10:16 PM   #3
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Love them, and think they are a bargain at current price.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2021, 10:34 PM   #4
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
The THC, which singlehandedly brought the Tudor brand back from obscurity, is an amazing watch. The dial is highly detailed, multi faceted, yet very easy to read. The historical aesthetic with modern construction & proportions are a perfect union. The rotating 12 hour bidirectional bezel add even more useful features such as simple timer and second time zone. And it looks amazing on just about any strap.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRF THC Bracelet.JPG (196.9 KB, 518 views)
File Type: jpg TRF THC.jpg (287.7 KB, 520 views)
File Type: jpg trf bc.jpg (257.2 KB, 518 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:15 PM   #5
Twisted Vicar
"TRF" Member

A great watch to own as part of a collection.

Twisted Vicar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 05:49 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
My thoughts on the Heritage Chronograph yes some feel they are somewhat under appreciated but that's down mainly to ignorance, IMO a great reference. While I would agree it takes a real experienced watchmaker with knowledge of the Dubois-dépraz module to service it. My watchmaker friend stated he had only seen one with a problem and he has serviced a few of them over the years. Now In the module all the main wheels are well over engineered and at least five times thicker and stronger than in most other normal chrono movements, plus all pushers, heart cams, and pivots are well over engineered. And the module finish work on all internal parts are too quite a high standard. IMHO even the polishing of heart cam sides for hammer function is excellent and to a very high standard of finish IMHO it is better than Rolex own movement finish.

So what this boils down too if they are properly serviced these modules will last a lifetime of usage. Don't assume all chrono modules are equal now these modules are quite expensive in there own right. So should be serviced with watchmakers who has the credentials and tools to service them, but sadly many today will not service them, but IMHO that's simply because they don't know how to. IMHO you are looking at an well over engineered chrono module for a wristwatch, but on the downside if a say local watchmaker takes your module apart and damages a part, he will have trouble getting it from the manufacturer. These Dubois-dépraz module need precise oiling, plus wheel height and jewel adjustments. Plus the end shake of wheel adjustments and of course the driving wheel seating position from the base ETA 2892 calibre gear must mesh to the module properly, and this can be a very tedious task to do if you are not skilled with the module.

Now this is one of the main reasons why they have a lose name in the watch service industry not because they are a bad chrono module. Its because they need proper care and service with the correct oils and grease etc. IMHO its a fine chrono module with the excellent ETA 2892 and cannot see any reason with proper service to last a life time and beyond, myself would have no problem buying one. And I would not think that Rolex would have put this combination, into any Rolex Tudor watch if they thought it would ever be a problem movement and did not have the skills to service them or have the parts for many many years to come..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:26 PM   #7
PA Zu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Vicar View Post
A great watch to own as part of a collection.

Just saw this blue/grey one in a case while on vacation. Looked really great and want to see if my local AD has it. Might give it a spin.
PA Zu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:27 PM   #8
Bozack90
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out
I love the look but wish they would use the new Chrono movement in them
Bozack90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:33 PM   #9
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Aesthetically I just really dig the look. It gets my appreciation
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:40 PM   #10
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Love the looks, true vintage throwback feel…..
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 09:46 PM   #11
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

It's actually the best looking Tudor out there. The thing I don't like is that it's too big/bulky looking.

If it was 40mm it and a bit thinner, it would be perfect.

https://www.professionalwatches.com/...e-blue-chrono/
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:16 PM   #12
KeithP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AK 126900/SM 300M
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
My thoughts on the Heritage Chronograph yes some feel they are somewhat under appreciated but that's down mainly to ignorance, IMO a great reference. While I would agree it takes a real experienced watchmaker with knowledge of the Dubois-dépraz module to service it. My watchmaker friend stated he had only seen one with a problem and he has serviced a few of them over the years. Now In the module all the main wheels are well over engineered and at least five times thicker and stronger than in most other normal chrono movements, plus all pushers, heart cams, and pivots are well over engineered. And the module finish work on all internal parts are too quite a high standard. IMHO even the polishing of heart cam sides for hammer function is excellent and to a very high standard of finish IMHO it is better than Rolex own movement finish.

So what this boils down too if they are properly serviced these modules will last a lifetime of usage. Don't assume all chrono modules are equal now these modules are quite expensive in there own right. So should be serviced with watchmakers who has the credentials and tools to service them, but sadly many today will not service them, but IMHO that's simply because they don't know how to. IMHO you are looking at an well over engineered chrono module for a wristwatch, but on the downside if a say local watchmaker takes your module apart and damages a part, he will have trouble getting it from the manufacturer. These Dubois-dépraz module need precise oiling, plus wheel height and jewel adjustments. Plus the end shake of wheel adjustments and of course the driving wheel seating position from the base ETA 2892 calibre gear must mesh to the module properly, and this can be a very tedious task to do if you are not skilled with the module.

Now this is one of the main reasons why they have a lose name in the watch service industry not because they are a bad chrono module. Its because they need proper care and service with the correct oils and grease etc. IMHO its a fine chrono module with the excellent ETA 2892 and cannot see any reason with proper service to last a life time and beyond, myself would have no problem buying one. And I would not think that Rolex would have put this combination, into any Rolex Tudor watch if they thought it would ever be a problem movement and did not have the skills to service them or have the parts for many many years to come..
Thank you, Padi. Fantastic.
KeithP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 10:18 PM   #13
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
I fell in love with the THC Monte Carlo when it came out. The looks, the features and the quality with which they have been executed are just superb.

I am not sure why, but I no longer ware mine and find myself wanting to sell/exchange for the Tudor BB GMT as it seems to be more "for me".

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:39 PM   #14
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

I had the blue model for several years and just didn’t wear it much. I adore the way this watch looks in pics, bit it just didn’t fit my wrist well and was constantly aware that it wasn’t comfortable. I found it far too top-heavy to wear on the NATO strap too. If they ever update it with a tapered bracelet like a BB58 or Rolex I’d give it another try. I have not tried the new Tudor chronos yet but I understand they’re slightly slimmer.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 August 2021, 11:47 PM   #15
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Too big and bulky, size down to 40mm + slim down to less than 12mm it will be a hit
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 01:30 AM   #16
Driver8
"TRF" Member

I've long been a big fan of the Heritage Chrono, and I've come close to buying one a number of times. I, for one, would love to see a very subtle update to it at some point.

If I was in charge of design, there are just a couple of things I'd change about it -

Firstly, I've thought that without the cyclops there's a lot of empty "real estate" in the lower half of the dial without even a single line of text. So I think it definitely should've had the cyclops just like the original. (You absolutely had the right idea putting one on there, Dan! )

Secondly, I've just never been a huge fan of the knurled crown, pushers and bezel. Again, I think the original had it just right.

And lastly, just a fraction smaller (40 - 41mm) would be perfect IMO.

But all in all, the THC is a superb and very underrated piece.
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:29 AM   #17
Furrygoat
"TRF" Member

I love mine so much that a week after I traded it away I called the new owner and bought it right back.

Have it in an Everest strap currently snd loving the heck out of it.
Furrygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 02:33 AM   #18
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
When I got my Thc I also got a Daytona.

The Daytona left two weeks after.

The thc is still in my collection.

In my opinion, the best Tudor ref in the last 10 years and one of the best one Watch collection watches around with all the complications and wears well with strap and bracelet. That’s a sign of great design.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:48 AM   #19
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post

If this doesn’t deserve a bump I don’t know what does.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 03:48 AM   #20
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I had the blue dial for a while. I still love the 70s look of that piece and may actually get myself another at some point. What’s this about an upgraded movement? I haven’t read that anywhere.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 04:05 AM   #21
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Padi, THANKS for the great technical info. Most of us have no idea about what went into this watch. Very impressive what Tudor has done there.

As for "Driver8"'s comments about a lot of empty real estate on the lower dial half (no text), THANK GOD that for once on a watch there is not half the watch spec sheet listed !!!!!!!!!!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 04:36 AM   #22
ElRicardo
"TRF" Member

Prefer the Tiger Prince Date Chrono.
Stunning watch and by all accounts as good build quality as its step-brother.
Shame it was discontinued
ElRicardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 04:59 AM   #23
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I agree. I have one and think it is a very cool watch. Once discontinued it will surge. Look for a new model soon with an updated movement. My speculation.
If so, I hope they make them slimmer. My only grip with my THC Blue was that it wore like a brick. The original models were quite thin with the Valjoux movement.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2021, 09:17 PM   #24
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithP View Post
Thank you, Padi. Fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
If this doesn’t deserve a bump I don’t know what does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Padi, THANKS for the great technical info. Most of us have no idea about what went into this watch. Very impressive what Tudor has done there.

As for "Driver8"'s comments about a lot of empty real estate on the lower dial half (no text), THANK GOD that for once on a watch there is not half the watch spec sheet listed !!!!!!!!!!
Thanks guys all information supplied from my own 79 year old brain power, without the aid of loupes, timegraphers, alignment points, phone apps, and the rest of todays Rolex watch toys.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 08:49 AM   #25
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Aesthetically, I LOVE this watch and wanted to buy it on numerous occasions…. BUT like others have mentioned it is relatively big and clunky and on some wrists like mine it just doesn’t wear comfortably. Would love to see it updated to a case more like the BB58.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 09:51 PM   #26
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I love this watch. To use modern terms…. She thicc. But I still like it a lot.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2021, 09:55 PM   #27
21321Batman
"TRF" Member

I like it but I picked this up last summer and they’re close enough that I’d prefer a newer BB Chrono over the Heritage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
21321Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 08:47 AM   #28
jefe1999
"TRF" Member

When it first came out, I loved the pics so much that I bought one online, sight unseen.

I disliked it the first time I put it on.

Mostly because it was way too bulky. I'm not totally sure why it looked so disproportionately bulky and thick; it may possibly be the relationship of the lugs to the case (corrections welcome if I'm wrong) as it seemed to kind of stick up too far. Though a Sub is around the same thickness, I don't have that issue with my 16613.

Also, when setting the time and date, the movement felt really cheap. Not like, say, a silky, smooth Sub at all.

Traded it as soon as I could. Still beautiful in pictures, but didn't fulfill my expectations when I got it home.

Reminds me of my first wife.
jefe1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 10:32 AM   #29
GMADS
"TRF" Member

Agree with a lot said here. Great watch if you can pull off a bigger size watch. Did well as a travel watch with the 12hr bezel and was up for anything with the high WR. I had the blue and the only thing I wish was that there was more “depth” to the dial. The Monte Carlo has depressed subdials while the blue was flat.
GMADS is offline   Reply With Quote