The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 21 July 2019, 07:48 PM   #1
timedate
-

jezza on F1

Seek out his recent views on F1, filmed outside a pub, it's not hard to find, its laced with profanity, but he makes the complaint about F1 that we hear all the time, and gives his ideas on what to do about it.

Its worth a watch, but not if you want profanity.
timedate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:05 PM   #2
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Outside the UK, people by and large won't know who you mean by jezza, so they won't know who to search for or what you're on about. Consider the audience is mainly American.

Jeremy Clarkson. By the way, I think he's right. Something needs to change. It's terribly boring and highly predictable.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:09 PM   #3
timedate
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
Outside the UK, people by and large won't know who you mean by jezza, so they won't know who to search for or what you're on about. Consider the audience is mainly American.

Jeremy Clarkson. By the way, I think he's right. Something needs to change. It's terribly boring and highly predictable.

Americans are not silly, if they can go to the moon, they can work out who jezza is, plus they watch the grand tour. lol.
Old 21 July 2019, 08:09 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

I had no idea either but:

They will google Jezza F1.

There you go.

Americans are very clever.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:55 PM   #5
77T

Thank you for your confidence in us Americans...now, what’s F1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 08:59 PM   #6
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
They should have a separate driver's championship, that's what people really want to see. Have every driver given the same car for a couple of months with their teams and then have a 5 race mini championship, with wider tracks if possible and more overtaking spots. Then as this gets more popular reduce the current format so more driver's races can be held, let the constructor's keep their cash cow but really they've had their time and cash, time to think of the audiences for a change.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 09:29 PM   #7
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Jeremy's a bit of a boof-head but I agree with him on this. After following F1 for about 30 years I have got to the stage where I really don't care if I see the race or not. Predictable, boring, not a showcase for talent.
Certainly wouldn't pay 'Dirty Rupert' for the privilege.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 09:30 PM   #8
77T

OK...watched the 3 minute rant now. The model for F1 is a bit fiddly due to the huge budgets and political/industrial influences.

Don’t see any of his ideas going further than the YouTube, though....

Old 21 July 2019, 09:34 PM   #9
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Certainly wouldn't pay 'Dirty Rupert' for the privilege.

View with impunity- Rupe’s been gone after the Comcast takeover of Sky. And Bernie too since Malone’s Liberty Media bought him out.

Old 21 July 2019, 09:36 PM   #10
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
I would suggest the way to get fans at home to watch it and keep the sponsor dollars coming into the sport, would be VR. If fans could drive in the race at home, ghosting in real time against the real racers, they'd be glued to their seats for the duration. Interactive F1, with real prize money at various skill levels. Get the 13-35 crowd really into it. Merge e-sports with the real sport.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 09:40 PM   #11
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Watching F1 regularly until the last year or so. I agree with others in that it's become highly predictable and boring. Unless a mistake is made or a car fails it's as if we know how it will end. Overtaking is rare if at all at the front. Tire and pit strategy seem to be only variables.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 10:52 PM   #12
timedate
-

i know its harking back to the past, but the old way, was the way, people say 'but everything moves on' but it doesnt always move on for the better, progress in some areas is to the detriment in other areas,

There is and was such a thing as getting it right, if ii aint broke, dont try and fix it, if you like.

Would a return to the moon mean discarding the methods of fifty years ago, or is there a new far better way of doing it?

F1 doesnt even enter my head anymore, yet i used to love the sport, i dident change, it did.
Old 21 July 2019, 10:56 PM   #13
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I can't even keep up with all the regulations anymore. So technical and complex, I don't even understand it.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2019, 11:03 PM   #14
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
35 years ago we had Group B rally, huge grids of 956 Porsche's/Lancia's etc at Le Mans and Turbo crazy F1....... so much for entertainment moving forward. Jezza needs to quit the bangles and cut the eyebrows.
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 02:53 AM   #15
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I would suggest the way to get fans at home to watch it and keep the sponsor dollars coming into the sport, would be VR. If fans could drive in the race at home, ghosting in real time against the real racers, they'd be glued to their seats for the duration. Interactive F1, with real prize money at various skill levels. Get the 13-35 crowd really into it. Merge e-sports with the real sport.

This would be pretty cool. Also with the up and coming streaming gaming services (like Netflix for video games) & 5G speeds then no reason why it couldn’t be done in the next few years.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 07:16 AM   #16
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
jezza on F1

Quote:

This was actually mooted a few years back but nothing ever materialised. With the explosion of e-sports maybe you’re on to something....

Plus, Bernie was never interested in the 13-35 age bracket. Perhaps Liberty are different...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 08:40 AM   #17
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
This would be pretty cool. Also with the up and coming streaming gaming services (like Netflix for video games) & 5G speeds then no reason why it couldn’t be done in the next few years.

Would you pay a $100 entry fee to F1 simrace?

Liberty has continued to monetize the brand via their App so I’m guessing F1 interactive will cost like any other simracing now.

Old 22 July 2019, 09:05 AM   #18
M45
Banned

Quote:

We all know who Clarkson is.

Americans watch more British TV than Brits do, since we don't need a loicence to do it.
M45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 09:10 AM   #19
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

from watching documentaries on f1 it really made the drivers in the 70s/80s seem like super hero figures because of the dangers of driving. nowadays they're just like any other pro athlete, just normal people that are super talented in driving

i also lost interest in f1 although i was born in the 90s so i didn't get to see the golden age of it. got into it from watching the senna documentary but at this point i haven't watched a race in years. i don't think it'll ever be the same unfortunately, no matter what people want they will never put those drivers in the same danger they were in 30 years ago. they should bring back v10s though at least...
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 11:41 AM   #20
Andad

Watch: A few.
They should run the F1 races for the drivers just as they run the Superbike and GP races.

Fill the cars up, shorten the race and let them go.

It's the one or two pit stops that spoil it for me.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 02:13 PM   #21
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Would you pay a $100 entry fee to F1 simrace?

Liberty has continued to monetize the brand via their App so I’m guessing F1 interactive will cost like any other simracing now.

Personally no, but I’m not that into watching racing. However people do pay good sums for boxing PPV so not implausible to imagine a season ticket or pay by race type thing working.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2019, 03:36 PM   #22
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by M45 View Post
Americans watch more British TV than Brits do, since we don't need a loicence to do it.

That hurts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote