The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 12 November 2018, 03:09 AM   #31
utc66
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600, PAM112,EZM1
There are foto forensics websites. You can upload photo and go through steps to determine what was altered in the photo. Seems to be an actual investigative tool.

http://fotoforensics.com/tutorial-about.php
utc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 03:26 AM   #32
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Renderings are fine on new merchandise. It's just a representation of what you should expect from the product. But on a vintage watch, where tiny nuances carry significant value, the watch should be very accurately represented in the images.

I suspect this Daytona image has been significantly modified to misrepresent its actual condition. Tantamount to fraud IMO.
Exactly. Send one of these watch buyers a pic of your watch and then see what they say when they get the actual watch. I'm sure they'd flip their lid.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 03:58 AM   #33
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
The reflection in the pusher looks like the crown is unscrewed, but the crown is screwed down in the image.
Good catch
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 04:12 AM   #34
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
The reflection in the pusher looks like the crown is unscrewed, but the crown is screwed down in the image.
That's sort of a known technique. You pull the crown out to stop the watch. This keeps you from ending up with a blurred sweep hand, since shots like that usually require a smaller aperture and long shutter speeds.
Old 12 November 2018, 04:57 AM   #35
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Regarding the Heuer

Quote:
"Please note that the image of this watch in the catalogue does not accurately reflect the condition. Additional photos will be sent to you to show the dial and the case that reflects the description in our condition report of this important watch."

When is the Heuer up? Is it with Philips because I can't find a price.

https://www.christies.com/lotfinder/...5-02fdc79c0c2a

https://live.phillips.com/live-auction/1-157TEJ
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 05:30 AM   #36
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
That's sort of a known technique. You pull the crown out to stop the watch. This keeps you from ending up with a blurred sweep hand, since shots like that usually require a smaller aperture and long shutter speeds.
Except the crown isn't out in this picture. The pusher image was shopped onto this image. Christie's needs to be in the Watchout! forum. This is clearly a scam auction.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 05:53 AM   #37
PJ S
Banned

https://www.watchprosite.com/horolog...2471.10287281/
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 11:15 PM   #38
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Except the crown isn't out in this picture. The pusher image was shopped onto this image. Christie's needs to be in the Watchout! forum. This is clearly a scam auction.
Sorry, I didn't explain. But, you pull the crown out, take the shot, and then in photoshop, you "move" the crown back to the closed position. They just didn't edit the reflection.
Old 13 November 2018, 12:06 AM   #39
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Exactly. Send one of these watch buyers a pic of your watch and then see what they say when they get the actual watch. I'm sure they'd flip their lid.

Sort of like the reaction one has after opening the wrapper on a Big Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 12:19 AM   #40
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Outright fraud.
This does not surprise me one bit, however. The images look like artist renderings not photos.

And after going to auctions for 30 plus years there is one Axiom that I have always found to be true. Auctioneers that charge a buyer's Premium cannot be trusted.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 04:53 AM   #41
exador
Banned

Well Christie’s held their watch auction overnight and the Photoshopped Rolexes smashed estimates so I guess crime does pay
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 06:34 AM   #42
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Wow what an eye-opening article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 01:40 PM   #43
AzHadEnuf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263,DJ,SUB,BB,THR
Quote:
I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure Valjoux movements back then didn’t hack. Pull the crown and they keep running.
Old 13 November 2018, 02:07 PM   #44
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Outright fraud.
Agreed. It’s not even debatable, IMO.

There is too much shady business going on now with vintage watches, particularly Rolex that I have lost all interest. Not something I want to be a part of. I sold my vintage watches a while back, made a little bit of money, and never looked back.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 02:10 PM   #45
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHadEnuf View Post
I could be mistaken, but I’m pretty sure Valjoux movements back then didn’t hack. Pull the crown and they keep running.

I was thinking that too. Maybe they pulled the crown out, out of habit? But, we'd probably see at least some blur to the sweep hand. Unless the watch was completely unwound.
Old 13 November 2018, 08:36 PM   #46
PJ S
Banned

^
The hand movement can be frozen if the shutter speed is relatively high, which would be the case as a lightbox is typically used.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 09:52 PM   #47
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
I was thinking that too. Maybe they pulled the crown out, out of habit? But, we'd probably see at least some blur to the sweep hand. Unless the watch was completely unwound.

Stop making excuses for them.

The problem is they faked the picture. Christie's can afford a photographer that can take great images for their catalog. Instead they cobbled together a digital franken fake picture to fool buyers.
Old 13 November 2018, 11:20 PM   #48
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Stop making excuses for them.

The problem is they faked the picture. Christie's can afford a photographer that can take great images for their catalog. Instead they cobbled together a digital franken fake picture to fool buyers.
Not making excuses. Only explaining a well known photography technique. Which doesn't alter the watch in anyway. The rest of the stuff, for sure, is manipulation of the actual condition of the watch.
Old 14 November 2018, 12:54 AM   #49
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Not making excuses. Only explaining a well known photography technique. Which doesn't alter the watch in anyway. The rest of the stuff, for sure, is manipulation of the actual condition of the watch.
Well known amateur technique, maybe. A pro can image the watch without resorting to photshop tricks. It takes good lighting, some knowledge of the watch, and experience photographing watches.

I would not do business with anyone who digitally modifies images to alter the perception of an item’s actual state, condition, or quality. It is fraud. And anyone so ethically challenged to not recognize it as fraud can’t be trusted with my money.
Old 14 November 2018, 02:22 AM   #50
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Well known amateur technique, maybe. A pro can image the watch without resorting to photshop tricks. It takes good lighting, some knowledge of the watch, and experience photographing watches.

I would not do business with anyone who digitally modifies images to alter the perception of an item’s actual state, condition, or quality. It is fraud. And anyone so ethically challenged to not recognize it as fraud can’t be trusted with my money.
Sorry, but accusing someone of fraud for moving a pulled out stem to stop a sweep hand is ridiculous. Again, that is not altering the watch in any fashion. I myself have never sold a watch with this method. Only practiced photography with it. Again, I do not condone any "altering." i.e. removing flaws, adding components, etc.

And if you're insinuating that I am a fraudulent person I'd have to strongly disagree.

I was strongly against the actual photo-shopping of the condition of the watches here from the beginning in case you didn't notice.
Old 14 November 2018, 03:53 AM   #51
goin camping
"TRF" Member

Posting a pristine picture and requiring a potential buyer to ask for the actual pictures is misleading at best.

I would not want to do business with a company that practices this.
goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 03:57 AM   #52
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin camping View Post
Posting a pristine picture and requiring a potential buyer to ask for the actual pictures is misleading at best.

I would not want to do business with a company that practices this.
Agreed. The difference on that Skipper is ridiculous.
Old 14 November 2018, 05:23 AM   #53
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, but accusing someone of fraud for moving a pulled out stem to stop a sweep hand is ridiculous. Again, that is not altering the watch in any fashion. I myself have never sold a watch with this method. Only practiced photography with it. Again, I do not condone any "altering." i.e. removing flaws, adding components, etc.

And if you're insinuating that I am a fraudulent person I'd have to strongly disagree.

I was strongly against the actual photo-shopping of the condition of the watches here from the beginning in case you didn't notice.
Fraud is generally defined in the law as an intentional misrepresentation of material existing fact made by one person to another with knowledge of its falsity and for the purpose of inducing the other person to act, and upon which the other person relies with resulting injury or damage.

Photoshopping away the blemishes to make the watch appear much cleaner than it actually is seems to fit this definition quite neatly. The pusher reflection is but one of several clues that the image is highly modified. I can see no reasonable defense of this practice for a sale to be bid on by online buyers (sight unseen).
Old 14 November 2018, 08:39 AM   #54
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
Another sad state of affairs.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 02:52 AM   #55
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Shenanigans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SHENNANIGANS.jpg (60.9 KB, 91 views)
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2019, 10:45 AM   #56
seankonners
"TRF" Member

Just 10-15 years ago, both Christie's and Sotheby's had a lock on the vintage watch market acting as the oldest and best authority to value and liquidate collectible watches. Those days are long over today as they now struggle to compete with the Internet which has made buying and selling faster, better and easier. For example, folks looking to sell a vintage Rolex Daytona can find all the pricing and information they need online to value it. And there are dozens of legitimate dealers online that will purchase the watch outright for cash at full value eliminating the need to wait 6 months for an auction process. And their are too many risks associated with the auction route: the item may not sell, the estimates are almost always way below market values, and the reserves are almost never at what a dealer would pay cash on the spot.

Most sellers can get more just selling it to a dealer. But moreover, the auction houses are struggling to survive today with an outdated, overweight business model that no longer works. Its true here in Europe as well. So i guess i am not that surprised at this allegation. Also, the serious collectors today don't want a watch that has been shopped or auctioned. At today's prices, they have a right to be picky - choosing instead, often times, to buy a fresh barn find privately.
seankonners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 12:07 AM   #57
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
That crown on the Daytona is DEFINITELY airbrushed.

The case side looks dodgy too.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2019, 12:11 AM   #58
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Look at the crud and rust deposits on that pusher stem - Gross!

The condition of that doesn't match the rest of the watch case at all.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote