The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 March 2016, 02:13 PM   #1
normistheman
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II - 16710
Need Advice: I've Stumbled Across An Ultra Rare Rolex Oyster Date Reference #1530

So, here's a background story. I've known that my father-in-law has had a nice looking Rolex watch that he bought in the late 70's.
He use to wear it all the time. It didn't matter if he was helping me move furniture, or helping me do oil changes on my bike; he was wearing it.
The other day, it occurred to me that I hadn't seen him wear his Rolex for the past year or two. When I asked him about it, he told me that the Crown was broken, the crystal was chipped pretty bad (around the 12 marker), and that it hadn't been serviced since the 90's.
He's retired and is turning 75 this year, so he didn't want to spend the extra money to have it fixed.
So being the good son-in-law that I am, I offered to pay to have the watch serviced, so he can wear it. He graciously accepted my offer.
Fast forward to earlier today.
My father-in-law drops off the Rolex to me. I'm looking at it now and my first thought was that it's an Oysterquartz, because of the unique bracelet band. But it's not. The seconds hand sweeps like an automatic movement should, and it says Oyster Perpetual DATE.
I check the back lugs and see that the reference is #1530, with the original 96660 bracelet. I use google at my disposable, and to my astonishment, this watch is a rare offering where only 500 to 1500 pieces were ever made.
So tomorrow, I plan to take this watch over to the Rolex Service Centre. From my visual inspection, I probably would replace the crystal, do a movement service, change the crown/stems/tubes etc., as well as lightly polish the case and bracelet.
The advice I'm looking for, is if there is anything that I should not get Rolex to replace, as not to ruin the collectibility of this watch?
I would not look to replace the dial, because it looks superb after all these years. The hands are worn out a bit though. Do I leave them original or just change them?
Any helpful hints are welcome, as I am new to this restoration overhaul thing.
Thank you in advance.

Norm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_1530-20160307_164039.jpg (47.4 KB, 750 views)
normistheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 03:12 PM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
service, crystal swap, new crown tube and seals. Possibly a light Polish, she's a stunner. I'd keep the original hands on it.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 03:50 PM   #3
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
Beaut! be very clear wit them on the hands...
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 04:05 PM   #4
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

so i inherited my grandfather's circa 1950's date that was beat to hell. i had to replace the bracelet, crystal and crown, but fortunately everything else remained original. it's not collectible and i probably spent as much on the restoration as it is worth now. in any case, i did it so i could wear it every now and then. i couldn't care less about the actual monetary value of the watch. it will never be sold in my lifetime. i still have all the original pieces if that really mattered to someone, but whatever. maybe your watch is worth significantly more than mine, so it's tough to advise you, depending on your current financial situation, etc. Hopefully your father in law and you can enjoy it for what's it is in any case.

Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 07:16 PM   #5
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Nice piece, keep the original hands and date wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 March 2016, 08:18 PM   #6
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Very nice...Personally I would leave as is and do only movement service. I would leave hands and crystal alone and forget the polish.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 10:36 PM   #7
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Re:

It's a lovely piece you have there. Don't polish it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0006.jpg (119.3 KB, 672 views)
vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 10:52 PM   #8
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Great find! 96660 bracelet and all! I had my 1530 serviced at RSC in 2013; I instructed them not to polish and not to replace the hands. They did just as I said and did a great job. It's no big deal if you need a new crown.

I think the "500-1,500" is a little outdated/low, seeing as how many are always on eBay. A nice 1530 went for $12k a decade or two ago; now they're more like $7k. Personally I think there must have been at least 1,500. Anyway, it's my favorite Rolex. Congratulations!!

powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 11:09 PM   #9
fmc000
Banned

Absolutely don't let them polish the watch and be also sure they don't swap the hands, the dial and the date wheel! Only service the movement and change the crystal. Have the crown and tube changed only if the watch is going to meet some water, otherwise keep them original.

My 2c.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2016, 11:16 PM   #10
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Looks like yours has a very nice patina, congrats on a very nice watch! Forget the polish I would just have the movement serviced and the crown addressed.

Here is mine with my Oysterquartz.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (73.5 KB, 647 views)
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 10:24 AM   #11
normistheman
"TRF" Member

First off, I want to thank everyone for their advice on how to service this watch. I really appreciate the help.

Today was quite the eventful day for me.  Moreso than yesterday when I found out about the 1530.

When my father-in-law dropped off the watch to me yesterday, I asked him if he had the original box and papers.  He said that he had them, but would have to go rummaging through his basement to find it.

So this morning, he finally found the box and papers.  But he also found another vintage watch that's seen some better days.

Again, I used my googling skills to deduct that this piece is a 1957 Rolex Oyster Perpetual #1002.

He said that he forgot he had it, because he stored it with the box for the 1530 over 15 years ago.

I asked him where was the bracelet for the watch, and he told me that it broke, so he threw it out years ago, which lead me to react like this:

But then he said he wanted me to have the watch, because he never wore it anyway once he got the 1530.  Then he regaled me about how he came to acquire this watch.  Apparently, he was a sailor in Taiwan on a big cargo ship in the 60's.  They would travel weeks on end.  While voyaging around the Mediterranean, he said he acquired the watch from a sailor friend and wore it all the time throughout the rest of the voyage, because he didn't want someone to steal it.  He wouldn't go into much detail, but it appeared gambling may have been involved in him acquiring it.  He also said that the crew adopted a monkey they found during their travels.  So he and the crew managed to teach the monkey how to smoke cigarettes and drink.

Right then I realized that if he was wearing this watch while teaching a monkey how to smoke cigarettes and get hammered, then I will never ever sell this watch, and make sure to pass this watch on to my son, telling him the tales of that poor monkey.

Now back to the 1530. I did manage to drop off the 1530 today to get an estimate from the Rolex Service Centre.  I will wait for their estimate to come in the next couple of days, but I think I have decided to swap the crystal, have the crown fixed or replaced, and do a movement service.  

In due time, I will bring the 1002 to get it restored and overhauled.  I'm thinking because of the bad condition of the dial, I might just change it. Or could they try to restore the original dial to make it more legible?

And after all this fiasco, I actually had an incoming today as I picked up this 1969 Rolex Oysterdate Precision 6694.

Well technically, I bought this for my wife, but I plan to wear it every now and then.

Last month, I promised her I wouldn't make anymore major watch purchases for awhile, since I bought way too many watches last year.  So this was the only way I could have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks again guys. Will keep you posted in the future.

Norm  
Old 9 March 2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl65 View Post
very nice...personally i would leave as is and do only movement service. I would leave hands and crystal alone and forget the polish.
+1
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 01:34 PM   #13
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by normistheman View Post
First off, I want to thank everyone for their advice on how to service this watch. I really appreciate the help.

Today was quite the eventful day for me.  Moreso than yesterday when I found out about the 1530.

When my father-in-law dropped off the watch to me yesterday, I asked him if he had the original box and papers.  He said that he had them, but would have to go rummaging through his basement to find it.

So this morning, he finally found the box and papers.  But he also found another vintage watch that's seen some better days.

Again, I used my googling skills to deduct that this piece is a 1957 Rolex Oyster Perpetual #1002.

He said that he forgot he had it, because he stored it with the box for the 1530 over 15 years ago.

I asked him where was the bracelet for the watch, and he told me that it broke, so he threw it out years ago, which lead me to react like this:

But then he said he wanted me to have the watch, because he never wore it anyway once he got the 1530.  Then he regaled me about how he came to acquire this watch.  Apparently, he was a sailor in Taiwan on a big cargo ship in the 60's.  They would travel weeks on end.  While voyaging around the Mediterranean, he said he acquired the watch from a sailor friend and wore it all the time throughout the rest of the voyage, because he didn't want someone to steal it.  He wouldn't go into much detail, but it appeared gambling may have been involved in him acquiring it.  He also said that the crew adopted a monkey they found during their travels.  So he and the crew managed to teach the monkey how to smoke cigarettes and drink.

Right then I realized that if he was wearing this watch while teaching a monkey how to smoke cigarettes and get hammered, then I will never ever sell this watch, and make sure to pass this watch on to my son, telling him the tales of that poor monkey.

Now back to the 1530. I did manage to drop off the 1530 today to get an estimate from the Rolex Service Centre.  I will wait for their estimate to come in the next couple of days, but I think I have decided to swap the crystal, have the crown fixed or replaced, and do a movement service.  

In due time, I will bring the 1002 to get it restored and overhauled.  I'm thinking because of the bad condition of the dial, I might just change it. Or could they try to restore the original dial to make it more legible?

And after all this fiasco, I actually had an incoming today as I picked up this 1969 Rolex Oysterdate Precision 6694.

Well technically, I bought this for my wife, but I plan to wear it every now and then.

Last month, I promised her I wouldn't make anymore major watch purchases for awhile, since I bought way too many watches last year.  So this was the only way I could have my cake and eat it too.

Thanks again guys. Will keep you posted in the future.

Norm  
That is an AWESOME story on the second watch! Also on the second, I have heard good things about ABC watchwerks and what they can do. Maybe let them have a go at restoring it. I will be sending them a recent acquisitions movt and dial in a few days.
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 01:47 PM   #14
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Very nice...Personally I would leave as is and do only movement service. I would leave hands and crystal alone and forget the polish.
This.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 02:27 PM   #15
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
Quote:
I would personally listen to Ken 100% of the time. Nice watch with lots of great memories! Russell.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 02:49 PM   #16
GEORGE505
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
absolutely don't let them polish the watch and be also sure they don't swap the hands, the dial and the date wheel! Only service the movement and change the crystal. Have the crown and tube changed only if the watch is going to meet some water, otherwise keep them original.

My 2c.
x2
GEORGE505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2016, 05:21 PM   #17
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Quote:
Couldn't agree more - keep it as original as possible....movement service, no polish, pressure test, wear and enjoy!
Old 10 March 2016, 12:43 AM   #18
mineral
"TRF" Member

The integrated case and bracelet of 1530 is awesome 70s design. I hope your father in law will enjoy it.

This is my OQ and one of my favorite.

Old 10 March 2016, 12:57 AM   #19
RACER_X
"TRF" Member

Awesome monkey story! Lol

sent from the batcloset in the batcave on the batphone
RACER_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2016, 05:21 PM   #20
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehartmann View Post
It's a lovely piece you have there. Don't polish it!
Now that's a pie pan dial!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2016, 11:42 PM   #21
normistheman
"TRF" Member

So I got my estimate from the Rolex Service Centre in Toronto.
The price quoted seems reasonable.
However, my concern is that they state they will not do any restoration work unless they change the hands, because they are corroded, and will replace them with the current type hands, which will no doubt have luminova on them.
So I guess my only option now is to take it to a place that will service this watch, and has a good reputation with vintage Rolexes. Preferably in the Toronto area.
Old 13 March 2016, 04:21 AM   #22
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normistheman View Post
So I got my estimate from the Rolex Service Centre in Toronto.
The price quoted seems reasonable.
However, my concern is that they state they will not do any restoration work unless they change the hands, because they are corroded, and will replace them with the current type hands, which will no doubt have luminova on them.
So I guess my only option now is to take it to a place that will service this watch, and has a good reputation with vintage Rolexes. Preferably in the Toronto area.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 09:23 AM   #23
bigisland
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655 explorer ii
Norm take your watch to Tony at quality jewellers on Dundas near keeleTony was a Rolex dealer for years and still has a very good service person he dose mine and my sons Rolex work and his prices are very fair. Dave
bigisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2016, 10:03 AM   #24
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Need Advice: I've Stumbled Across An Ultra Rare Rolex Oyster Date Reference #...

Get that watch out of the RSC and to an indy watch maker quickly.

Awesome story in all of them. Hope the wife and you enjoy your watches!!

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 01:43 AM   #25
tomilg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, SD4K
I'm currently having ABC Watchwerks in Beverly Hills restore an older Exp II, 16570 that I acquired and had several issues. They specialize in restoring vintage Rolex pieces.
tomilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2016, 07:45 AM   #26
normistheman
"TRF" Member

I managed to speak with my service rep, through the senior watchmaker at RSC named Raffi.
They agreed to service the watch, but will not be liable for the hands if anything would happen to the hands. Which is fine with me, as everything else is still included in their 2 year warranty.
In the end, my father-in-law feels more comfortable with RSC doing the work. He has no plans on selling it, and it has so much sentimental value, that when it gets passed down, our family will make sure it gets worn proudly. So now the hard part is waiting for 10 weeks to get it back from service.
Old 15 March 2016, 07:47 AM   #27
normistheman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigisland View Post
Norm take your watch to Tony at quality jewellers on Dundas near keeleTony was a Rolex dealer for years and still has a very good service person he dose mine and my sons Rolex work and his prices are very fair. Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Get that watch out of the RSC and to an indy watch maker quickly.

Awesome story in all of them. Hope the wife and you enjoy your watches!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomilg View Post
I'm currently having ABC Watchwerks in Beverly Hills restore an older Exp II, 16570 that I acquired and had several issues. They specialize in restoring vintage Rolex pieces.
Thanks for the advice. I will take the 1002 to an indy watch maker. I will also give Tony at Quality Jewellers a shout.
I appreciate the help.