The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 22 August 2017, 06:31 PM   #1
w!dowmaker
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC Date, Exp 1
Bracelet Stretch on Modern Rolex Bracelets

With Rolex's new bracelet designs and innovations on materials used, will a modern Rolex bracelet still suffer from bracelet stretch in the future? Same question on precious metal bracelets.
w!dowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 06:39 PM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Are the new pins & metals stiffer than the old?

Wonder if there's any regulations that say bracelet must give way before being able to rip your hand off your forearm, in an event that watch gets snagged on something hard.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 07:49 PM   #3
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Are the new pins & metals stiffer than the old?

Wonder if there's any regulations that say bracelet must give way before being able to rip your hand off your forearm, in an event that watch gets snagged on something hard.
Some working environments with moving machinery don't like you wearing nato straps for that reason (or any jewellery or watch at all in some cases).

I'd guess that the springbar is the weakest link in S/S bracelets, and that is likely to give way before you lose a limb.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2017, 11:57 PM   #4
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by w!dowmaker View Post
With Rolex's new bracelet designs and innovations on materials used, will a modern Rolex bracelet still suffer from bracelet stretch in the future? Same question on precious metal bracelets.
I believe you can minimize wear by proper bracelet fitment wearing it snug on the wrist and cleaning it with soap and water on a regular basis. The solid center links are a definite improvement with the TT and Stainless oyster bracelets. There is more metal surrounding the bracelet pins. For those who like their watch bracelets loose and flopping around on the wrist, that will certainly cause early wear as the links are continually moving around and of course metal to metal friction creates wear.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 12:15 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I believe you can minimize wear by proper bracelet fitment wearing it snug on the wrist and cleaning it with soap and water on a regular basis. The solid center links are a definite improvement with the TT and Stainless oyster bracelets. There is more metal surrounding the bracelet pins. For those who like their watch bracelets loose and flopping around on the wrist, that will certainly cause early wear as the links are continually moving around and of course metal to metal friction creates wear.
Have to agree 100% a few of mine are 20 plus years and show little sign of wear, scratches yes, but wear no

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 12:35 AM   #6
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Years ago someone posted pics of their GMTIIC that was all banged up and stretched out (after only a year or two of wear). I believe he said he was in construction and wore it to job sites every day and never really washed it.
I've looked for the thread/pics since, but have never been able to find it.
So, just like on the hollow bracelets, general maintenance will keep them ready for years and years
Old 23 August 2017, 03:21 AM   #7
shofzr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 218235 BronzeWaves
Just keep it clean, and have a proper fit.
Or you will have the results in the picture..

IMG_1333.JPG
IMG_1334.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speedmaster 125
shofzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:57 AM   #8
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I know stretch is bad. And a brand new straight bracelet is awesome. However I have tried on a totally stretched 1803 DD and it didn't make much of a difference. Maybe because it wasn't my own watch but being said a little stretch isn't detrimental.

The friction of dirt in between the links wears away the metal and of course pressure from the wrist can widen the gap in the links as well.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2017, 03:19 PM   #9
fishingbear
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMTsSubLVEx2SDDayt
As for the question regarding PM bracelets, I know Rolex has been using ceramic sleeves on Platinum DayDate IIs for a while and is now using them on all DayDate 40s now.

Historically, the bracelet was composed of gold links containing steel inserts. In the new version, these steel inserts are covered by ceramic sleeves, which raises durability by reducing the wear-and-tear that results when soft and hard metals rub against each other. It may be a minor improvement but one that is proof of Rolex’s commitment to quality.

Taken from article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/yjeanmu.../#20921c371d64
fishingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 01:10 PM   #10
young.chi
"TRF" Member

For modern SS bracelets, when can we expect to see first signs of stretch with daily wear? Are we talking a few years or 10+ generally?
young.chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2017, 06:38 PM   #11
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by young.chi View Post
For modern SS bracelets, when can we expect to see first signs of stretch with daily wear? Are we talking a few years or 10+ generally?
Takes a week or 2 to stop being squeaky but IMHO even 5+ yrs of normal daily wear it would barely be run-in.

Have seen some ppl wear bracelets real tight like a leather strap watch though... I'd imagine every time you flex your forearm muscles you'll put the band under tension.

I like mine loose like a bracelet, loose enough to be able to push it up 2" into my sleeve and stays up there (useful for hiding what I'm wearing). Loose enough to fall down over wrist bony knob without pressing into flesh but it usually stays above. Can't say I've noticed any real wear after decade or even two.
Old 26 August 2017, 03:14 PM   #12
young.chi
"TRF" Member

Interesting, I've heard that usually it's the dirt that grinds away at the metal that causes flex. Not so much the constant force from your wrist.

But clearly if yours is in good shape after 10+ yrs then you're doing something right
young.chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2017, 04:18 PM   #13
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by young.chi View Post
Interesting, I've heard that usually it's the dirt that grinds away at the metal that causes flex. Not so much the constant force from your wrist.

But clearly if yours is in good shape after 10+ yrs then you're doing something right
10yrs!!? I've got bracelets going back to the '60s!! ok most of them have been retired from active duty but still, they've been daily wearers before... none so wornout that they're falling apart, they're perfectly serviceable

I've broken far more Seiko & Japanese bracelets

I have heard the "dirt" excuse a lot but jeez, don't anybody bathe anymore these days!? You'd have to be polishing diamonds or digging in the sandpit daily to get enough grit in there to grind away; if it's just sebum/deadskin/hair stuck in there it's not very abrasive.

I give bracelets a scrub with a toothbrush every now & again, sometimes I give them a jacuzzi in the ultrasonic machine but nothing much comes out anyway.
Old 14 September 2017, 03:01 AM   #14
SeaDwellerBund
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4000 Steel&Gold
a new bracelet is a joy to wear. You can feel and see that its dimensionally perfect. I cant help to think, however, that a stretched bracelet would be more comfortable as it molds to your wrist.
SeaDwellerBund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 01:45 PM   #15
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Hi TRFers,

Can anyone please point where you can buy an authentic Rolex Jubilee bracelet?
Wanting to replace a forthcoming PCL with a new Jubilee links.

Cheers!
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 01:53 PM   #16
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoniman View Post
Hi TRFers,

Can anyone please point where you can buy an authentic Rolex Jubilee bracelet?
Wanting to replace a forthcoming PCL with a new Jubilee links.

Cheers!
If you're after a latemodel or brandnew original bracelet, suggest calling your local AD or RSC and get them to price you from their service parts catalogue... hearsay suggests, believe it or not, parts prices are actually "kinda reasonable" buying direct vs used bits from private resale.

Check you're ordering the right collection of bits to build the whole bracelet, links + clasp + end links + springbar etc etc
Old 1 October 2017, 01:55 PM   #17
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
I know stretch is bad. And a brand new straight bracelet is awesome. However I have tried on a totally stretched 1803 DD and it didn't make much of a difference. Maybe because it wasn't my own watch but being said a little stretch isn't detrimental.
Just don't use old as template to bench-size new without adding a few links.
Old 1 October 2017, 02:19 PM   #18
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Cheers!
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bracelet , bracelet stretch , modern , stretch