The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 September 2017, 11:21 PM   #1
Pipes
"TRF" Member

66940 - Rolex Service experience - Questions

Hi All

First time post - so please be gentle :)

I was gifted a back 66940 a number of years ago, 1978 version. I acquired a genuine bracelet and the watch was serviced (not by Rolex)

Earlier this year - i could no longer wind the watch so I took to rolex. On top of fixing this they insisted on replacing the dial and hands due to moisture damage.

In my ignorance, I agreed.

Would I still have got the service guarantee if I had not agreed?

More importantly - the watch is gaining about 3 minutes a week - is this covered by my guarantee? Should I take it back?

I appreciate that the 66940 is not one of the rarer, expensive or more collectable models - but I wonder if i should have kept the hands and dial - albeit with moisture damage.

Although I was assured that the dial would be the same - their are slight differences. On the positive side - I hope the service will give the watch another 40 years of life !!

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2017, 11:56 PM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

If dial says "PRECISION" it's not Superlative COSC rated but it should still keep reasonable time... my idea of reasonable is that it shouldn't deviate by say 10s/day max.

Yes should be under service warranty if they've done a decent job.

Don't lose sleep over service dial, bygones & can't go back so why worry.
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 03:03 AM   #3
4rnold
"TRF" Member

If it is not rare, why would you want a watch with moisture damage?

dont regret, just wear it
4rnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2017, 05:18 AM   #4
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

No offense but why would you wait FORTY YEARS to service a watch that has a service interval of 6 years...4 when it was made?

This is a micro machine far more precision than the best cars. Would you not change or add oil to your car for forty years? It's running 24 - 7 not just a few hours a day to boot. Would you drive your normal route on the same tires you had 40 years ago? The gaskets are all bad...dry and cracked...if the watch had been serviced regularly it wouldn't have had moisture damage.

It happens I think because many people don't realize what they are wearing and also the advent of battery powered watches has made people even less concerned.

I would try and have it gone over once every 6 years if you can.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Pipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
No offense but why would you wait FORTY YEARS to service a watch that has a service interval of 6 years...4 when it was made?

This is a micro machine far more precision than the best cars. Would you not change or add oil to your car for forty years? It's running 24 - 7 not just a few hours a day to boot. Would you drive your normal route on the same tires you had 40 years ago? The gaskets are all bad...dry and cracked...if the watch had been serviced regularly it wouldn't have had moisture damage.

It happens I think because many people don't realize what they are wearing and also the advent of battery powered watches has made people even less concerned.

I would try and have it gone over once every 6 years if you can.
No offence taken - I was gifted the watch 5 years ago.

But thanks for replies all - I'll continue to enjoy wearing daily.
Pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2017, 02:20 PM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Ah I misunderstood...I thought you got it in 78.

:-)

I realize service is expensive. It's a nice watch. If they are gone over every 6 years or so then they are pretty worry free. They may run longer than that without attention but wear starts to come into play more heavily.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote