The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2017, 01:13 AM   #1
cassin907
"TRF" Member

Explorer vs Oyster Perpetual for Skinny Wrists

I'm an adult male with skinny wrists (6.33") who very much wants to buy the 39mm Explorer (214270) but recently have come to view the plain-vanilla 36mm Oyster Perpetual (116000) as arguably a better "successor" to the old 36mm Explorer.

They both have the same movement (3130), both are made of the same 904L steel. Their dials are almost the same. No date complication. I think the Explorer retails for about $6,500 and the OP for about $5,400.

So while I very much am drawn to the Explorer's "heritage", given the near-equivalency in terms of design, materials and movement, the smaller diameter (arguably better for my skinny wrists), and cheaper price, should I just go with the 36mm 116000 as an almost-but-not-quite Explorer?

Interested to hear opinions.
cassin907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:05 AM   #2
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Yes.
The 214270 is foolishly big compared to the previous 36mm version, which I obviously prefer. It probably won't fit you well.

Old 25 September 2017, 03:17 AM   #3
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassin907 View Post
I'm an adult male with skinny wrists (6.33") who very much wants to buy the 39mm Explorer (214270) but recently have come to view the plain-vanilla 36mm Oyster Perpetual (116000) as arguably a better "successor" to the old 36mm Explorer.

They both have the same movement (3130), both are made of the same 904L steel. Their dials are almost the same. No date complication. I think the Explorer retails for about $6,500 and the OP for about $5,400.

So while I very much am drawn to the Explorer's "heritage", given the near-equivalency in terms of design, materials and movement, the smaller diameter (arguably better for my skinny wrists), and cheaper price, should I just go with the 36mm 116000 as an almost-but-not-quite Explorer?

Interested to hear opinions.
Sorry but you're incorrect there...the 214270 Explorer has the 3132 movement, but the only difference being the Paraflex shock absorber in the 3132 vs the 3130.

And I think the use of Mercedes hands and the latest dial having lumed arabics, gives the Explorer a substantially different vibe compared to the Oyster Perpetual.

And no it will not be too big...but that all boils down to preference didn't it?

On my 6" wrist

Sent from my F8132 using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:39 AM   #4
Bfd70
"TRF" Member

Sounds to me like you want the Exp and are trying to talk yourself out of it.
Re $: when the cost of a watch is so ridiculously high, don't let $1,000 sway your decision.
Bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:41 AM   #5
doramas
Banned

Explorer 114270 36mm secondhand
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:14 PM   #6
dubins930
2024 Pledge Member

I love the grape 36mm OP, but the new explorer was too tough to pass up
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 09:19 PM   #7
Blingtone
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV no Rehault
OP 116000 Blue 3-6-9 Arabic Dial

The Oyster Perpetual is the watch that the Explorer was derived from - historically and chronologically (Indeed all Explorers still have the line on the dial beneath the coronet 'OYSTER PERPETUAL'), I own Explorers 14270 & 114270 and this OP 36 (was also available with silver dial), which for legibility reasons I had the hands swapped for a genuine Rolex 'mercedes' set.... it is now my daily wearer (I've given the Explorers to my daughters) I did look at the 214270 when it first came out, but was not impressed so I purchased the OP instead and have not regretted a minute since (no pun intended!).
In my opinion the OP and the 36 Explorer are virtually the same watch (on the inside at least) and I still like all 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0546.jpg (151.6 KB, 2050 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0883 .jpg (200.9 KB, 2044 views)
Blingtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 09:49 PM   #8
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingtone View Post
The Oyster Perpetual is the watch that the Explorer was derived from - historically and chronologically (Indeed all Explorers still have the line on the dial beneath the coronet 'OYSTER PERPETUAL'), I own Explorers 14270 & 114270 and this OP 36 (was also available with silver dial), which for legibility reasons I had the hands swapped for a genuine Rolex 'mercedes' set.... it is now my daily wearer (I've given the Explorers to my daughters) I did look at the 214270 when it first came out, but was not impressed so I purchased the OP instead and have not regretted a minute since (no pun intended!).
In my opinion the OP and the 36 Explorer are virtually the same watch (on the inside at least) and I still like all 3.

I love that look with the hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 September 2017, 09:58 PM   #9
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Have you tried them on?
Old 26 September 2017, 12:23 AM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I would go Explorer...plus you get the easy link clasp with it.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 01:35 AM   #11
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
Explorer 114270 36mm secondhand

This is my choice if you think 39mm is too big.

I don’t think that is the case and I would at least go try on the 214270 (with lume or WG hands).

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 01:36 AM   #12
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Sorry don’t know what happened with the link. I meant the 36mm Explorer.

Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2017, 12:49 AM   #13
cassin907
"TRF" Member

Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I want to elaborate that I tried on an Explorer at the AD, and it appeared to sit well on the wrist.

Just to "flesh out" (excuse the pun) my dilemma, I've attached two wrist shots. The Seiko is 38mm and the Victorinox is 40mm. Feel free to opine openly on whether the 39mm Explorer is suitable to a skinny-wrist guy like me. Also curious whether I could pull off a 40mm model like the Sub or GMT.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seiko2.jpg (90.1 KB, 1866 views)
File Type: jpg vic2.jpg (99.8 KB, 1862 views)
Old 2 October 2017, 04:04 AM   #14
cassin907
"TRF" Member

and if anyone knows where I can find a pre-owned 36mm Explorer, please shoot me a message
Old 2 October 2017, 05:23 AM   #15
doramas
Banned

36mm Explorer 14270 or 114270 both are your best choice
doramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 06:21 AM   #16
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

Jacek is a forum member here. Try sending him a PM or visit HQ Milton in where he is a partner or co-owner I believe. There are several Explorers there for sale right now.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 09:39 AM   #17
Danwealth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Also curious whether I could pull off a 40mm model like the Sub or GMT.
Yes you can pull off a sub c or gmt ii c..

Also, try the new airking..its cheaper than explorer i
Danwealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 09:56 AM   #18
BlackRose
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
The Victorinox looks quite long lug to lug. Looks too big. The Seiko looks borderline to me. Not sure how lug to lug of 39 mm Explorer compares to those two but that may be more important than dial size.

BlackRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 10:31 AM   #19
Roll the Lex
"TRF" Member

I have a somewhat flat 6" wrist.

I've owned a 36mm Omega, a 39mm Explorer I, the sub-c, and currently I have a gmt-2c.

The 36mm felt small- now mind you this years before I was made aware of the Panerai and the whole big watch movement.

All the Rolexes fit fine. No need to remove a permanent link. In terms of fit:

1) sub-c due to the glide lock. But it was a bit tall and and had some trouble getting over some dress shirt cuffs. It looks like a big watch, due to the fat lugs, I liked it.

2) Explorer I- it fit fine, no issues. But the watch looked bigger than the two because the dial was bigger- no big ceramic bezel.

3) GMT-2c- fits fine, but it can lean toward the 12 o'clock position slightly. But not a deal breaker.

My rule is if the lugs hang over the edges of your wrists like that Victorinox, then game over. The seiko looks fine.

I don't wear anything over 40mm (in fact I don't even look at them) and I'm always open to smaller sizes, down to 36mm. I don't buy anything unless I try it on.

If it were me, it's Explorer all day, everyday. I love the arabic numerals, the Mercedes hands. But if you want color, OP can't be beat.
Roll the Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 11:38 AM   #20
Seanken
Banned

Isn't oyster perpetual on every Rolex but the celllini?
Seanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 09:39 PM   #21
subking86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
6.25" wrist here. I had a 44mm Breitling for little while but ultimately got rid of it because it felt too large.
As per your question, if the explorer is what you want, I think it'll look perfect in your size wrist. But a 36mm would look perfect too!

subking86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 11:42 PM   #22
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
The explorer would be my choice. By all means, 39mm will not be too large for your wrist. After a few days wearing a 39mm piece, you'll think the 36 is too small. Our minds eye adjusts very quickly.
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2017, 11:51 PM   #23
luvan12
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you really want the Oyster.

If i were you, I would just go with my gut.
luvan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 12:02 AM   #24
jstan9
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT BLNR
Quote:
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the feedback. I want to elaborate that I tried on an Explorer at the AD, and it appeared to sit well on the wrist.

Just to "flesh out" (excuse the pun) my dilemma, I've attached two wrist shots. The Seiko is 38mm and the Victorinox is 40mm. Feel free to opine openly on whether the 39mm Explorer is suitable to a skinny-wrist guy like me. Also curious whether I could pull off a 40mm model like the Sub or GMT.
I have skinny wrists too and you can definitely wear a gmt. I completely understand our dilemma. In the current fashion of ginormous watches we don’t want pie plates over hanging our wrists!

The gmt is quite reasonable in that respect and will look great. I don’t know my wrist size but know it’s small. I’ll post pix from my laptop later this morning. Of my 35mm SS/PL Yachtmaster and my 40mm GMT Batman BLNR.
jstan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 12:14 AM   #25
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:

Try a Sub, if you can find one. The Victorinox looks bigger than it needs to because the NATO flares out wider that a normal strap or bracelet.

From what you've said though, the Explorer might be more your bag.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 12:42 AM   #26
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
OP, you will have no issue with the 39 mm Explorer, which will “wear” smaller than the Seiko and Victorinox you currently own.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 October 2017, 01:34 AM   #27
Rolex fan 61
"TRF" Member

Explorer all the way.
Rolex fan 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 02:55 AM   #28
cassin907
"TRF" Member

thanks for the input, everyone, I've read (and re-read) all the comments, and it's been helpful.

Above I posted a wrist shot of my Seiko. While it looks relatively big in that photo, it looks much better in the field. I don't know why; optical voodoo I guess.

But my question is this: I've done some further research. The Seiko is 38mm case with 46mm lug-to-lug, whereas the 214270 Explorer is 39mm case with 47mm case. So, since I am reasonably satisfied that the Seiko is not "too big" for me, I feel confident that I'll find the Explorer suitably well-sized for my wrist.

What I can't find however is the lug-to-lug measurement of the 36mm Oyster Perpetual, so if someone knows that, it would be helpful info to brood over prior to my trip next week to the AD.

Again, it's a two-horse race between the 39mm 214270 Explorer and the 36mm OP. Aesthetically I prefer the Explorer, but almost certainly the 36mm (from a fit perspective) would better suit my wrist.
Old 26 October 2017, 03:02 AM   #29
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
Don't settle. If you're thinking of settling...Don't. Happy Hunting

I vote EXP.

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 03:12 AM   #30
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:
thanks for the input, everyone, I've read (and re-read) all the comments, and it's been helpful.

Above I posted a wrist shot of my Seiko. While it looks relatively big in that photo, it looks much better in the field. I don't know why; optical voodoo I guess.

But my question is this: I've done some further research. The Seiko is 38mm case with 46mm lug-to-lug, whereas the 214270 Explorer is 39mm case with 47mm case. So, since I am reasonably satisfied that the Seiko is not "too big" for me, I feel confident that I'll find the Explorer suitably well-sized for my wrist.

What I can't find however is the lug-to-lug measurement of the 36mm Oyster Perpetual, so if someone knows that, it would be helpful info to brood over prior to my trip next week to the AD.

Again, it's a two-horse race between the 39mm 214270 Explorer and the 36mm OP. Aesthetically I prefer the Explorer, but almost certainly the 36mm (from a fit perspective) would better suit my wrist.
I think you are spending too much time with measurements and exact millimeters. My advice: STOP the research and go put them on and see how they feel on you, and take a few steps back from the mirror and look at the overall picture.

A good friend of mine, a big guy, has smaller wrists and was worried about a larger size of the Explorer on his wrists. I basically talked him into buying a Rolex (see thread >>HERE<< ) and he has not been happier since. The watch looks awesome on his hand, and when we go out for lunch, I am very satisfied to see that watch on his wrist. (and more importantly, so is he!)

FYI, I am more of a conservative when it comes to larger size watches and find some of the pictures people post here to be on the funny side (as in the watch is WAY too big for them and they are still happy with it), but that is fine for them, whatever rocks their boat I guess. And I am suggesting that you should not just zoom in to the pictures of watch on your wrist and you have to look at how the watch fits into the overall package.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote