The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 September 2017, 10:23 AM   #1
al1786
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520
BLNR date change

Very brief clip of the date changing on my BLNR( I know too much time on my hands). Would have thought that the date would have changed bang on midnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Imp...&feature=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
al1786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 10:54 AM   #2
Sky21
"TRF" Member

Just depends on how the hands were set by the watchmaker who put it together. Are you often awake around midnight to see the date change? Does it bother you enough to make a fuss about it with an RSC? Is the watch still under warranty? Personally, if I wake up every morning and my GMT date has advanced one I’m happy and leave it at that.
Sky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 10:57 AM   #3
MrInternational
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 (126300-0007)
My new DJ41 does the same thing. It irked me a bit the first time I was up that late and watched it only to be disappointed. Like yours it does change a few minutes after midnight. Shrug. Not a big deal. I love the watch anyway!

MrInternational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:30 AM   #4
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
After I got my Sub And Exp II serviced, the date no longer flips at exactly
midnight. Sub changes at 12:01am and the Exp II at 12:05am. Doesn't bother me in the least.
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Aclockworkblue
"TRF" Member

My DJ flips a few seconds before midnight. I think it does bug me a bit as these are Rolexes and should be spot on. I mean the old saying "like clockwork" should be even more for these expensive instruments of time.
Aclockworkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 01:43 PM   #6
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Rolex claims that the changes are immediate, not that they're exactly at midnight.

That fact has never bothered me in the least.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 02:03 PM   #7
meganfox17
Banned

Hello Al

Absolutely , you have waaayyyy too much time on your hands ! That's cool as long as you're not too " Banged Up " about the " whole dating " issue....

Did you know that the 1st generation Omega Planet Ocean Cal 2500 series had a date change tolerance of -10 /+10 mins of midnight ? By modern standards , that's not really acceptable isn't it ? The Calibre 2500 uses a semi instantaneous date change mechanism with 2 springs involved and tolerance is present because the springs are not always consistent.

However with Omega's newer calibres with the Master Chronometer( MC) METAS certification, the date change tolerance is now so much tighter. I have the Omega Globemaster MC and the date change is about 12 seconds past midnight ! That's pretty awesome, right ?

It's actually an easy solution for any moderately skilled Rolex watchmaker as @Sky21 pointed out , pretty standard stuff , open the case, remove the movements , remove the hands, reset hands so the flip is close to midnight then reassemble and pressure tested.

Personally I would cut the BLNR some slack and allow it to have some personality. Wait for your first servicing to reset the hands.

Think of it this way. For now you'll always be 4 minutes late for your date and if I were your wife or girlfriend waiting for you in the restaurant, I would also show "tolerance of delays" and forgive you !
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:50 PM   #8
Doood
"TRF" Member

If it makes you feel any better my BLNR flips consistently at 12:05. It makes an audible, positive ca-chunk.
Doood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:00 PM   #9
al1786
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Hello Al

Absolutely , you have waaayyyy too much time on your hands ! That's cool as long as you're not too " Banged Up " about the " whole dating " issue....

Did you know that the 1st generation Omega Planet Ocean Cal 2500 series had a date change tolerance of -10 /+10 mins of midnight ? By modern standards , that's not really acceptable isn't it ? The Calibre 2500 uses a semi instantaneous date change mechanism with 2 springs involved and tolerance is present because the springs are not always consistent.

However with Omega's newer calibres with the Master Chronometer( MC) METAS certification, the date change tolerance is now so much tighter. I have the Omega Globemaster MC and the date change is about 12 seconds past midnight ! That's pretty awesome, right ?

It's actually an easy solution for any moderately skilled Rolex watchmaker as @Sky21 pointed out , pretty standard stuff , open the case, remove the movements , remove the hands, reset hands so the flip is close to midnight then reassemble and pressure tested.

Personally I would cut the BLNR some slack and allow it to have some personality. Wait for your first servicing to reset the hands.

Think of it this way. For now you'll always be 4 minutes late for your date and if I were your wife or girlfriend waiting for you in the restaurant, I would also show "tolerance of delays" and forgive you !

Ahh Megan I do enjoy your pearls of wisdom.

Old 25 September 2017, 11:16 PM   #10
al1786
"TRF" Member

I don't stay up just to watch the date flip, it's just something I noticed over this weekend. It doesn't bother me.
The strange thing is that when I'm setting the time the date flips at 12am.

Old 25 September 2017, 11:17 PM   #11
tgibbs
"TRF" Member

I think all BLNR watches do this to an extent.
tgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 12:17 AM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgibbs View Post
I think all BLNR watches do this to an extent.
Most all Rolex movements have done this over the past 50 years some change a little after midnight, some a little before, its because its a mechanical process.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 01:11 AM   #13
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
My wife and I have owned a number of Rolexes over the years. Her current one, a 31mm DJ bought new a year or so ago, is the only one I've seen that changes exactly at midnight.
Old 26 September 2017, 01:28 AM   #14
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Not to worry enjoy your timepiece all is well..
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 01:40 AM   #15
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Cool video Mine changes at around the same time. Like Grady points out, I'm glad it's immediate vs slowly changing (where it's stuck between he two dates) and a while like some other movements.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 01:42 AM   #16
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

If you really care, ask them to be extra-careful to put the hands on perfectly at the next service.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 03:14 AM   #17
mahefa
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes
Explorer II has it always on same time 15s past midnight, no exceptions :)

But it depends how hands are, gotta be sharp with minute hand, then it will work precisely.
♛Deepsea Blue -17 ♛ Deepsea Blue -19 ♛Deepsea Black ♛Explorer I ♛Explorer II ♛ Explorer 1 ♛GMT-Master II BLNR ♛ Sky-Dweller Blue ♛ Sky-Dweller Black ♛ AirKing ♛ Day-Date 40 Platinum ♛ Daytona C White ♛ Submariner LVc ♛ Two-Tone Submariner ♛ Day-Date 36 ♛ Datejust 41 grey ♛
mahefa is offline   Reply With Quote