The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 July 2017, 04:27 AM   #1
flash333
"TRF" Member

No Breguet love?

I'm relatively new to the forum, but wondering why there is no Breguet or for that matter JLC love? Lots of Rolex of course and plenty of Patek and AP, and even several "lesser" brands. Just curious.
flash333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 05:03 AM   #2
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I think you'll find lots of jlc love, and I like breguet as well. I think you'll find that this forum tends to have more sports watch fans, maybe that's a reason for less attention for breguet
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 05:26 AM   #3
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I think you'll find lots of jlc love, and I like breguet as well. I think you'll find that this forum tends to have more sports watch fans, maybe that's a reason for less attention for breguet
Agree with this completely...There are a bunch of folks that love JLC and Breguet but they are still in the minority on these forums

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 05:59 AM   #4
meganfox17
Banned

I really love the Breguet Marine Big Date Ref 5817 but the brand itself has a terrible resale value.Just appalling and so insulting!

I've learnt an important lesson about the Breguet brand.It's easier to flip a Breguet if you're the second or third owner as it holds its second hand value much better. And always buy a pre owned Breguet instead of a new watch.Just how much is a brand new Breguet Marine Big Date Ref 5817 fitted with a SS bracelet going for these days on the international market?

I couldnt believe my eyes when some0ne sold off a pre owned Marine Big Date in my local ebay market (like the one shown) for USD 55xx.Oh!Come On! Really? I remembered another private seller had offered his Type XX Transatlantique on the bonetti leather strap condition 9.9/10 ( Imagine that !) to me for USD 41xx when I contacted him.He even said he spent some 350 bucks for minor servicing ( sounds rather cheap to me though) with all the paperwork to prove
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 06:56 PM   #5
regnant
"TRF" Member

I used to have Breguet Marine, not missing it. I think I used to appreciate the brand in the past more than I appreciate it nowadays. For Roman numbers, they're too thin and so are the lugs.
Old 5 July 2017, 10:00 PM   #6
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

My impression is that Breguet suffers from an anti Swatch Group sentiment. One that gets more pronounced the higher up the luxury ladder you go.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2017, 10:09 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

They make nice dress watches, the rest looks odd IMO.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 03:52 AM   #8
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
My impression is that Breguet suffers from an anti Swatch Group sentiment. One that gets more pronounced the higher up the luxury ladder you go.
Well, people with that much ignorance of the history of these brands should stick to being Rolex fanboys anyway.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 04:10 AM   #9
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Not of fan of the Marine or Type XX watches. To me, Breguet really shines in the Classic line, with elements like the established numerals, hands, dial details, etc.

However, those watches are in direct competition with dress watches from ALS and PP, and can tend to get overshadowed.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 04:34 AM   #10
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Well, people with that much ignorance of the history of these brands should stick to being Rolex fanboys anyway.
Some say Ignorance is bliss Sir but the story of Breguet is like time travelling journey back to the past.Some of the best kept secrets in the World are found in the Breguet Muzium in Paris

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/breguet-museum
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 04:47 AM   #11
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by meganfox17 View Post
Some say Ignorance is bliss Sir but the story of Breguet is like time travelling journey back to the past.Some of the best kept secrets in the World are found in the Breguet Muzium in Paris

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/breguet-museum
Agreed. My post was making fun of people who would denigrate a Breguet due to the company being owned by the Swatch Group, not owners of Breguets.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 04:59 AM   #12
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Agreed. My post was making fun of people who would denigrate a Breguet due to the company being owned by the Swatch Group, not owners of Breguets.
i got what you are saying and you are correct. That sentiment is there for sure. I see that crop up from time to time with ALS too, being Richemont. Its there for VC as well.

I think it is ridiculous.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 07:10 AM   #13
PJ S
Banned

^
It’s even more ridiculous when you see the same happening to small independents like H Moser & Cie, Parmigiaini Fleurier, De Bethune, and Bovet, by way of various price-point examples.
Between them, those four probably put out as much as AL&S does each year, yet none get anything like the proper recognition they fully deserve.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 08:18 AM   #14
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
I LOVE JLC duometre models, amazing watchmaking, and love a few Breguet, but the kind that my banker wouldn't be happy about, basically very expensive ones. Though the small Marine big date is a sweet watch, a buddy has it and I really like it, the rotor is a beauty
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 08:27 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I like the type xx. Maybe someday when I have money to set on fire I'll buy one
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 09:55 AM   #16
Noxa
"TRF" Member

Although I hate, and I mean hate Chronos I'd take the Type XX over the Daytona anyday in the flesh, tried one on the other day and it had a certain something about it. Biggest letdown was the Marine, which although I'd always admired in pics in real life left me cold, one of those instances that being big and bold would have been a good thing, I wasn't quite sure what it was trying to be if I'm honest especially on the rubber strap.
Noxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 11:16 AM   #17
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have come so close to buying the Marine big date (white dial) or the marine chrono date. i really like the later because the two large center hands represent the chrono minutes and seconds-- somewhat unique. However, I do not like it only comes in gold. I like it as a sports watch and prefer such pieces to come in steel. I also like the duometre models and have considered this piece as well.
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 11:47 AM   #18
nick c
Banned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 11:56 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I like the one Napoleon had, I'd take that over the Daytona... well maybe.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 01:46 PM   #20
Watch Admirer
Banned

Breguet has decent dress watches, not the brand they used to be (a bit like Patek Philippe)
Watch Admirer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2017, 03:41 PM   #21
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Admirer View Post
Breguet has decent dress watches, not the brand they used to be (a bit like Patek Philippe)
i think they still are. The Breguet perception mirrors the IWC perception in that their relative "lower end" watches give people a lower end opinion of the brand then they should have. Since they are not as much of mass market of a brand to begin with, people are more familiar with the lower price point watches.

With IWC its the lower end, ETA movement pieces when that is just the surface of the brand. Their in house main line is at or above Rolex level and their high complications are way above. Probably just a notch below AP, PP, ALS, or the High Breguet complications for example.

Breguet Type XX, XXI, XXII lines are what a lot of people base ideas about what Breguet is, where as those are not in the same league as some of the pieces of the Tradition or Classique complications lines. I do like the "Type" lines personally, but objectively they are not the same as their other offerings.

ALS for example doesn't have that inherent disadvantage of lower end watches distorting the overall brand image as i believe all of their watch lines are PM only, and no SS.

This of course is a separate issue than the "not buying a swatch or Richemont watch" argument but it is a factor in some peoples minds as well.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 08:24 PM   #22
SearChart
TechXpert

I think I'm in love

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 07:47 AM   #23
kunlun
"TRF" Member

The late Nicolas Hayek really worked to restore the glory of Breguet and I think It's very clear he succeeded.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2017, 12:06 AM   #24
Xerxes77
Banned

Breguet is and remain one of the oldest and also high end watch brand even some people have joke about the brand!
Breguet still remain......BREGUET!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote