The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 September 2017, 11:13 PM   #1
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Changes in Chicago - Watch Shopping

I come up here to Chicago for a concert and spent Saturday shopping around. Part of my afternoon typically involves watch shopping but I was really surprised by what I saw. First stop Tourbillon- gone. A new Ugg store being built in its place. Second stop Swiss Fine Tining - gone. Third stop Tourneau - there but with a marked shift towards entry level brands. No more Patek (I believe that’s where I first tried on a 5980), and the most represented brands were Tag, Frederique Constant, and Baume and Mercier. There were some IWC, JLC, Panerai, and Breitlings of course but not too many pieces were on display. The Omega boutique was intact and the people there as friendly as ever, but I wonder if the watch market downturn, combined with high rents on Michigan Avenue have taken their toll on the higher end. I’m not a big spender by any means, but do seem to be thinking more value than pure luxury and wonder if others are doing the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 02:48 AM   #2
gtruex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer ii 16570
I was just in the Chicago Tourbillon a couple of months back. It was a nice store. It's too bad to see it go.
gtruex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 02:59 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
The watch community is definitely hurting.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. But it'll be the big boys with deep pockets that stay in the game and weather the storm.

I think the big question is how long will the storm last, and can the player ride it out. If a street like Michigan in a city like Chicago is on a down turn, that's a super strong indicator.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:12 AM   #4
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
I'd say some of the "craze" is over. IMHO used dealers/private sellers are trying to compensate less sale(s) by upping prices.

Are watches going to be the only thing in history immune to trends, and with an infinite price hike?

No.
Old 25 September 2017, 03:42 AM   #5
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
The Chicago market for luxury goods, in general, have been in the dump for a few years. The Kering Group and LVMH are both struggling to keep stores open there. Independents like Lanvin closed up and left.

Odd for a city the size of Chicago. Smaller cities/markets like Dallas, Vegas, and Miami all out perform Chicago

rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:51 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I'm surprised to hear this.

I would've thought a city of that size and stature, would sell enough to tourists and visitors alone.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 03:58 AM   #7
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I'm surprised to hear this.

I would've thought a city of that size and stature, would sell enough to tourists and visitors alone.
Isn't it possible they're also experiecing a downturn in tourism because of Chicago's other problems?

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 04:11 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Isn't it possible they're also experiecing a downturn in tourism because of Chicago's other problems?
Im jot aure about the "other problems" but with one of the largest convention centers going, I'd have thought visitors to the city would help

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 06:02 AM   #9
chicagonoob
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing with interest
As a resident, i can tell you the 10.25% sales tax doesn't help. The "other" problems are very much isolated to certain neighborhoods...the Mag Mile / Gold Coast aren't any more or less safe than "touristy" areas in other large cities. Do these issues cast a long shadow over the city? Certainly. However, I don't see them as being a deterrent to tourism, conventions, etc.
chicagonoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 07:01 AM   #10
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
The Chicago market for luxury goods, in general, have been in the dump for a few years. The Kering Group and LVMH are both struggling to keep stores open there. Independents like Lanvin closed up and left.

Odd for a city the size of Chicago. Smaller cities/markets like Dallas, Vegas, and Miami all out perform Chicago

And in the last year, Razny opened a shop on Oak Street (where high end designers tend to set up shop) selling Rolex and Patek.
Old 25 September 2017, 07:06 AM   #11
SG56
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonoob View Post
As a resident, i can tell you the 10.25% sales tax doesn't help. The "other" problems are very much isolated to certain neighborhoods...the Mag Mile / Gold Coast aren't any more or less safe than "touristy" areas in other large cities. Do these issues cast a long shadow over the city? Certainly. However, I don't see them as being a deterrent to tourism, conventions, etc.
Yep, the tax!!! And then, there's city tax. Not sure it applies to luxury items, but i'm sure Illinois has a way of scratching a bit extra with a luxury tax or something.

If i were a business person, going to chi, i wouldn't say 'hey i'm going to chicago for work. i'll stop by and get a rolex while there'

And anyone local, willing to pay the tax, will go to dupage county to avoid paying cook county tax.

I've just yesterday discovered a few more rolex ADs out in the burbs, from Rolex' website.
Yacht-Master 268622 - the chick version
Speedy Mitsukoshi <3
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAF141C.BA0824 - the chick version

Thank you logan5tx!!! Have to link it. Too long for the signature.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...0&postcount=14
SG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 10:40 AM   #12
Springfield
"TRF" Member

Patek disappearing from Tourneau happened a few months ago (if not over a year ago). They have brought in some lower priced brands (e.g. Nomos), but their selection of JLC, IWC, etc. is essentially at the same level as it always was (at least during my repeated browsing visits over the past three or four years).

As someone that has to frequently book a hotel in Chicago for business travel, I can state that Chicago continually has conventions and other events pulling people in.

On a related topic, yes Chicago's taxes keep me from picking up another watch in Chicago (so far).
Springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2017, 11:43 PM   #13
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Don't care. Still one of my favorite cities, and I say this as a New Yorker.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 12:35 AM   #14
Star Ferry
Banned

I think this says more about chicago than it does about the watch industry

Luxury real estate is also in the gutter there. I don't think the economy of chicago metro is very healthy. Similar to philadelphia and cleveland, the core industries are gone
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 12:49 AM   #15
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Swiss Fine Timing just moved off the mag mile to Walton Street. Looks to be a bigger footprint, though I haven't been in yet. Their original location did feel a bit cramped the times I've been in, so maybe a move in the right direction.

Tourbillon was fun to visit but I'm not sure anybody actually purchased anything there. They did not budge from MSRP, and had a lot of turnover on their sales staff as a result. Who would buy an Omega there when you can just pay full price down the street at the boutique? All of their other Swatch brands could be had for a big discount elsewhere, minus the big sales tax.

I was excited to see Tourneau lose Patek and gain Nomos. I wonder how they were ever a Patek dealer to be honest.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 03:35 AM   #16
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Swiss Fine Timing just moved off the mag mile to Walton Street. Looks to be a bigger footprint, though I haven't been in yet. Their original location did feel a bit cramped the times I've been in, so maybe a move in the right direction.

Tourbillon was fun to visit but I'm not sure anybody actually purchased anything there. They did not budge from MSRP, and had a lot of turnover on their sales staff as a result. Who would buy an Omega there when you can just pay full price down the street at the boutique? All of their other Swatch brands could be had for a big discount elsewhere, minus the big sales tax.

I was excited to see Tourneau lose Patek and gain Nomos. I wonder how they were ever a Patek dealer to be honest.
I didn't know they moved and certainly don't blame them. I'm guessing the rent even for that small of a store was crazy.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 08:20 AM   #17
derekstlmo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sd4000
I bought my 15202 from swiss fine timing just walked right in and offered it to me first time in the store i liked that store and they had a nice ap collection. It was probably 5yrs ago tho
derekstlmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2017, 11:13 AM   #18
s14roller
"TRF" Member

I've been to Chicago twice and while it's a great town to walk around and sightsee, I didn't really get the impression it was conducive to high-end shopping...at least not like NYC.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote