The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 July 2012, 11:28 AM   #31
Duc5150
2024 Pledge Member

I Consider All Mine.....

...tool watches...never understood the pampering thing myself.....I say live on the edge and use them like they were meant to be used!!

With that being said, IMO ND SubC is step in right direction for the masses in regaining tool watch status

My $02, about what it's worth!!

Todd B. in the OC

Duc5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 11:37 AM   #32
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Todays Rolex stopped being a tool watch when the buyer purchased the brand, not the utility....

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 11:47 AM   #33
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1066 View Post
Gents:

This being the vintage forum, I think most of us would agree that Rolex divers are no longer the tool watches that they started off being? If I get flamed for that comment, I get flamed. So be it...

Anyway, if you agree with the above comment, when do you think Rolex divers stopped being tool watches? Was it the white gold surrounds? Was it the $pricey$ ceramic bezels? Was it the loss of the maxi dials?

Would love to hear everyones' thoughts. And, if you think it is still a "tool" watch - then feel free to flame away

V/R

Mike
Main thing that makes Rolex luxury watches and not tool watches is none other than their high prices.

If they were half the price, more people would be using them as tools for sure.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 14 July 2012, 11:48 AM   #34
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
WOW. I'm surprised by the responses so far. Personally, I think it was ceramic bezel era. I'd say white gold surrounds, but the 16600 has WG surrounds, and I still consider that a tool watch. I think the ceramic bezel did Rolex in.

Oh... and the $8K starting price...
Old 14 July 2012, 11:55 AM   #35
lorsban
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WOW. I'm surprised by the responses so far. Personally, I think it was ceramic bezel era. I'd say white gold surrounds, but the 16600 has WG surrounds, and I still consider that a tool watch. I think the ceramic bezel did Rolex in.

Oh... and the $8K starting price...
The original sub had gold hands as well I think.

Ceramic is also scratch resistant so it should hold up to abuse better.

For me, its really the price.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
Old 14 July 2012, 12:28 PM   #36
Warnsboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
My EXPII, is my daily "TOOL" watch and is a fantastic 2004 "D" Series. Servied by RSC 18 Mos. ago ($450) and quite beaten up since. Still looks great and hums like an angel

IMHO Rolex is still cranking them out.
Warnsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 12:31 PM   #37
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
The Sub (for example) has barely changed over the decades... you still need to look carefully at the AD's display if you happen to see a 16610 and 116610 next to each other. We spend so much time looking at large, hi-res photos online, and discussing the small physical changes between generations of the same model, that I think this can lead to a slight loss of perspective imho

What really has changed over the decades is the customer, the price and the marketing

Imho, few of those who prefer the older models (again, referring to Sub, SD, GMT...) do so because they actually need them. It is about wanting the older look and being happy & comfortable with the self-image that it contributes to

Personally, I like the vintage matte dial models and the current models, and I would not want Rolex to start making vintage-style watches (not that they I think would anyway)

Just my $0.02 of course
Old 14 July 2012, 12:40 PM   #38
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Did Rolex ever have "tool status" for the masses?

IMO a very small % of Rolex owners have ever worn a Rolex for it's true tool capabilities. If you wear/wore it for military duty, recreation or professional dives, mountain climbing, flying a plane etc - then you likely used it as a tool.
The rest of us use it for other "non-tool reasons (which is cool). I own a 5513 and GMT-C, I don't baby either one - or use either as a tool.
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 12:47 PM   #39
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post

IMO a very small % of Rolex owners have ever worn a Rolex for it's true tool capabilities. If you wear/wore it for military duty, recreation or professional dives, mountain climbing, flying a plane etc - then you likely used it as a tool.
The rest of us use it for other "non-tool reasons (which is cool). I own a 5513 and GMT-C, I don't baby either one - or use either as a tool.

I agree with this, just adding that I doubt even the above professions/occupations have actually needed a mechanical watch for a number of years
Old 14 July 2012, 12:52 PM   #40
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Because you can get now a really good diving watch for under 2k very easily. No watch is really a tool watch anymore. GMT? I have every time zone of every country on the planet on my phone which I know to the millisecond instantly! Stop watch? Phone. Moon phase? Phone. Anything else you can think of, theres an app for it.. PHONE. Not trying to be all watches are just for show why would you spend alot of money on one. Thats not what Im saying. Im saying that I dont know of any watch that I actually need that would really make my day any easier IMHO
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 01:12 PM   #41
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvio Mosiello View Post
Because you can get now a really good diving watch for under 2k very easily. No watch is really a tool watch anymore. GMT? I have every time zone of every country on the planet on my phone which I know to the millisecond instantly! Stop watch? Phone. Moon phase? Phone. Anything else you can think of, theres an app for it.. PHONE. Not trying to be all watches are just for show why would you spend alot of money on one. Thats not what Im saying. Im saying that I dont know of any watch that I actually need that would really make my day any easier IMHO

Tourbillon? Phone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Celsius-10-6-2-phone-21.jpg (95.5 KB, 384 views)
Old 14 July 2012, 04:12 PM   #42
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
Tourbillon? Phone...
Lmao really?
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 04:30 PM   #43
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lmao really?
Oh yes - yours for $300k ... http://www.ablogtoread.com/celsius-x...hone-hands-on/

Sorry if this is driftng a tad off-topic
Old 14 July 2012, 05:08 PM   #44
jjkapsberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemartinifan View Post
Exactly. You dive and wear a Sub? You have a "tool watch". The rest of us Sub owners have a (very cool) watch.

Do you dive with your ceramic Sub? You have a "tool watch".

You never take your 6538 into the water? You have a nice watch, nothing more.
jjkapsberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 08:26 PM   #45
AG1

Interesting question. I have two ways of looking at it:

Breaking point: some time around 1980. Prices were heading up, and the Royal Navy Divers were about to switch to cheaper watches from CWC. The 80's yupppies were about to start buying white Porsches and Rolex watches not for racing and diving but for show. The watches were becoming more of a luxury item than purely functional. I compare with two relatives of mine who were give Rolex 5513's as graduation presents back in the 70's, and those watches are all beat up and were properly used without second thought.

Having said that, I wore my 16600 on my most recent dive and will continue doing so. There is no second breaking point, lug hoes or not. Sure, I only wear it for romantic reasons since the dive computer has rendered the Rolex dive watch rather pointless. However, I would also consider wearing a ceramic Sub. It has improved legibility with its maxi dial and an improved clasp. Great tool, if you can afford to wear it as such. Very much a luxury tool, if you like.

To be honest, the lug hole thing isn't the deal-breaker for me. I've sold my 14060M because I could never quite get over the feeling of 'nether here nor there'. I think the new no-date ceramic Sub looks more balanced, and, while it's a bit pricier, I would not have second thoughts about wearing and forgetting about it. Lug holes or not, it's all about the romance these days. You can still wear a Sub-C as much as a lug-holed 16610 and I don't think the little lug-holes are enough to separate the tools from the non-tools. So I see no break in modern history, so they're very much the tools that they were 10 years ago.

So, all in all, the only real break I see is around 1980. After that, we're just fooling ourselves.
AG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 11:13 PM   #46
Harry Brown

Hello Guys,

For myself it would be when the Royal Marines/Navy and companies such as COMEX ceased to issue these watches out for work intended purposes.

I have a 14060m which I wear for manual work daily and consider to be my 'toolwatch' However I didn't buy it with that intention, I doubt many do nowadays.

;-)
Harry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 11:16 PM   #47
Omni
Banned

The moment they priced their SS watch models >1k. Now it's just functional jewelry. And most buyers are afraid to get it wet; and think it will scratch if exposed to direct sunlight.
Omni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2012, 11:22 PM   #48
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

1. When people forgot what a dress watch was and thought it was OK to wear a Sub with a Tux.

2. When people started asking if it was OK to wear a Sub while in their neighborhood swimming pool.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 01:19 AM   #49
blunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
1. When people forgot what a dress watch was and thought it was OK to wear a Sub with a Tux.

2. When people started asking if it was OK to wear a Sub while in their neighborhood swimming pool.
I like this.
blunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 02:37 AM   #50
Mike1066
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:

Hahahaha!! That is classic!
Old 15 July 2012, 02:47 AM   #51
jhupp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc5150 View Post
...tool watches...never understood the pampering thing myself.....I say live on the edge and use them like they were meant to be used!!

With that being said, IMO ND SubC is step in right direction for the masses in regaining tool watch status

My $02, about what it's worth!!

Todd B. in the OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnsboy View Post
My EXPII, is my daily "TOOL" watch and is a fantastic 2004 "D" Series. Servied by RSC 18 Mos. ago ($450) and quite beaten up since. Still looks great and hums like an angel

IMHO Rolex is still cranking them out.

Quote:
I don't buy that at all. What about places where you can't use a phone? Or places where it is considered rude to stare at a phone? A watch is still very much a tool for many many folks. However, unfortunately it's no longer a Rolex.

I'll say it again I use my Explorer 2 as a tool 100%. Granted I could have gotten something less expensive it serves it's purpose very well and it's a tool watch I actually like wearing. I'll throw it back on the bracelet around the holidays or in the office and it can double as an business casual watch too.
jhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 02:49 AM   #52
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Really?
Dress watch is to be worn with a dress right....? Literally.....
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 03:14 AM   #53
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldaytona View Post
The current sports models from Rolex (Sub C, Deepsea, Explorer I & II, GMT C) are no less tool watches than their older siblings from decades ago. What makes them appear fragile is that disease called OCD.
Have to agree with above after reading the thousands of posts on TRF over the many years I sometimes wonder why some buy a Rolex watch.Perhaps today many just wear the brand because if they knew the watch.And that it is one of the toughest mechanical watches made today then perhaps all these can I do this or that post would stop.But perhaps pigs might sprout wings and start to fly afraid today Rolex watches are now mainly jewellery gone are the tool watch days. With many today getting such a pampered life perhaps Rolex should start making them from glass.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 03:15 AM   #54
Paladin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
+1. IMO, this was the point at which fashion trumped function.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
When they stopped with the drilled lugs. The model that kept it going was the 14060 which is now discontinued.
+1 on both accounts.

IMHO, that transition away from tool watch began when people bought Rolex "tool" models as a fashion statement and rolex mArketing and design decided to follow the trend....ie no lug holes, ceramic bezels and most definitely with the maxi case.
Old 15 July 2012, 03:58 AM   #55
jhupp
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp 1 and 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
With many today getting such a pampered life perhaps Rolex should start making them from glass.
Don't give Rolex any ideas!!! Sad thing is they would probably sell like hot cakes.
jhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 04:01 AM   #56
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Quote:
Hahahaha!! That is classic!
The minute I get a 1680 it's going in my salt water pool. I need to know how long I can hold my breath.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 04:12 AM   #57
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
That'd be the year 2001, the last of the fully skewered mid casings AND the Newmennium !

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 12:52 AM   #58
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
JohnnyS has it right.

The prices are disproportionately expensive to decades past.

plus, current day technology (Mares) makes a "tool" Rolex watch kinda useless. Ever look at the features offered by a Mares diver watch? my hardcore diver buddies love them.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 12:56 AM   #59
SennaFan
Banned

Watch: The Birdie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason71 View Post
I do think it depends on how much you are willing to pay for the repair of a damaged part on a given watch. For me, the tool watch ended with the introduction of the ceramic bezel inserts. It is too expensive to replace a ceramic insert for me to chance breaking one while diving since it is more brittle than the aluminum.

Hence the reason that I dive with my 5513 or 14060m. I also prefer my watches used for diving to have drilled-through lug holes.
This
SennaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 02:17 AM   #60
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhupp View Post
I'm interested in the replies on this.

While I don't know when they stopped being tool watches I would say that probably 90% of the people that have them do NOT use them as tool watches.

I still wear mine for work and I very much consider it a tool watch. If you look years ago Red Adair was wearing a YG president as a tool watch. I would be very interested in knowing when more people started buying them as a fashion accessory than as a tool. I would guess maybe mid 70s? Early 80s?
So you work as a professional Diver?

Telling the time is an extra to the tool aspect, maybe the question should have been "when did Rolex stop only being good for telling the time".
snog is offline   Reply With Quote