The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2014, 04:45 PM   #1
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Anyone had their THC serviced yet?

Back in 2010 there was a lot of talk about the Tudor Heritage Chrono and how its modular chrono movement might be hard to service, or even require replacement rather than a service. So I wonder, have any of the early adopters from back then had any problems with the THC movement, or had an unpleasant financial surprise at the RSC yet?

I got mine new last week and am really enjoying it, it's running at +2 secs and feels terrific on the wrist and in the hand. But am curious about what might be down the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-21 17.32.03.jpg (122.1 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-08-21 17.30.20.jpg (102.3 KB, 586 views)
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 05:49 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Yes I would agree it takes a real experienced watchmaker with knowledge of the Dubois-dépraz to service it..Now in the actual chrono module all the main wheels are well over engineered and at least five times thicker and stronger than in most other normal chrono movements, plus all pushers, heart cams, and pivots are well over engineered. And the module finish work on all internal parts are too quite a high standard.IMHO even the polishing of heart cam sides for hammer function is excellent and to a very high standard of finish IMHO it is better than Rolex own movement finish.

So what this boils down too if they are properly serviced these modules will last a lifetime of usage and I would expect Rolex have there watchmakers trained to work on this movement plus they will have all the special oils needed to service.Now don't assume all chrono modules are equal now these modules are quite expensive in there own right.So should be serviced with watchmakers who has the credentials and tools to service them, but sadly many today will not service them, but IMHO that's simply because they don't know how too.IMHO you are looking at an well over engineered chrono module for a wristwatch. But if a say local watchmaker takes your module apart and damages a part, he will have trouble getting it from the manufacturer.These Dubois-dépraz module need precise oiling,plus wheel height and jewel adjustments.Plus the end shake of wheel adjustments and of course the driving wheel seating position from the base 2892 calibre gear must mesh to the module properly, and this can be a very tedious task to do if you are not skilled with the module.

Now this is one of the main reasons why they have a bad name in the watch service industry not because they are a bad chrono module. Its because they need proper care and service with the correct oils and grease etc.IMHO its a fine chrono module with the excellent ETA 2892 and cannot see any reason with proper service to last a life time and beyond, myself would have no problem buying one and Rolex have secured all movements from ETA and Dubois-dépraz now and future.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 05:56 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast

Thanks Peter, it was your early comments on this a few years ago that gave me confidence to recently buy. When the time comes it will be going to the RSC/TRC here in Hong Kong, which fortunately is a lot cheaper than even the good independents elsewhere in the world.
Old 22 August 2014, 06:15 PM   #4
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great info Peter. Thanks!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info, Peter. I´ve had my Tudor since 2010 and I have not had any issues with it. It has not been serviced yet.
Old 23 August 2014, 12:55 AM   #6
phils
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Back in 2010 there was a lot of talk about the Tudor Heritage Chrono and how its modular chrono movement might be hard to service, or even require replacement rather than a service. So I wonder, have any of the early adopters from back then had any problems with the THC movement, or had an unpleasant financial surprise at the RSC yet?

I got mine new last week and am really enjoying it, it's running at +2 secs and feels terrific on the wrist and in the hand. But am curious about what might be down the road.
Adam, nice looking JRT. I see a harness. Is he a tracking dog?
phils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 01:14 AM   #7
Nycturbovr6
"TRF" Member

Any Rsc can clean that beauty right up for another five ten years no problem
Nycturbovr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 01:16 AM   #8
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
myself would have no problem buying one and Rolex have secured all movements from ETA and Dubois-dépraz now and future.
Rolex bought all the movements? Interesting but why?

Quote:
Anyone had their THC serviced yet?
Don't use THC anymore.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 01:19 AM   #9
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Hey Adam, I had an Omega Speedmaster automatic with one of those modules for years & had it serviced by a local guy where I was living in Canada with no issues. I think that most of the stories you hear out there are myth.

BTW..Congrats! Don't think I saw your "incoming" thread. Love the model.
Old 23 August 2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by phils View Post
Adam, nice looking JRT. I see a harness. Is he a tracking dog?
No, but he thinks he is. He's worn a harness since he was a pup. Four yrs old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
Hey Adam, I had an Omega Speedmaster automatic with one of those modules for years & had it serviced by a local guy where I was living in Canada with no issues. I think that most of the stories you hear out there are myth.

BTW..Congrats! Don't think I saw your "incoming" thread. Love the model.
Thanks Jake, yes it's new, got it last weekend.
Old 23 August 2014, 10:41 AM   #11
Turpentine
"TRF" Member

Nice watch and Beautiful Pup!
Turpentine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 11:01 AM   #12
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
Quote:

Looks great Adam!

Quote:
Yes I would agree it takes a real experienced watchmaker with knowledge of the Dubois-dépraz to service it..Now in the actual chrono module all the main wheels are well over engineered and at least five times thicker and stronger than in most other normal chrono movements, plus all pushers, heart cams, and pivots are well over engineered. And the module finish work on all internal parts are too quite a high standard.IMHO even the polishing of heart cam sides for hammer function is excellent and to a very high standard of finish IMHO it is better than Rolex own movement finish.

So what this boils down too if they are properly serviced these modules will last a lifetime of usage and I would expect Rolex have there watchmakers trained to work on this movement plus they will have all the special oils needed to service.Now don't assume all chrono modules are equal now these modules are quite expensive in there own right.So should be serviced with watchmakers who has the credentials and tools to service them, but sadly many today will not service them, but IMHO that's simply because they don't know how too.IMHO you are looking at an well over engineered chrono module for a wristwatch. But if a say local watchmaker takes your module apart and damages a part, he will have trouble getting it from the manufacturer.These Dubois-dépraz module need precise oiling,plus wheel height and jewel adjustments.Plus the end shake of wheel adjustments and of course the driving wheel seating position from the base 2892 calibre gear must mesh to the module properly, and this can be a very tedious task to do if you are not skilled with the module.

Now this is one of the main reasons why they have a bad name in the watch service industry not because they are a bad chrono module. Its because they need proper care and service with the correct oils and grease etc.IMHO its a fine chrono module with the excellent ETA 2892 and cannot see any reason with proper service to last a life time and beyond, myself would have no problem buying one and Rolex have secured all movements from ETA and Dubois-dépraz now and future.
Peter, informative and impressive as usual
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 08:53 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Rolex bought all the movements? Interesting but why?

Don't use THC anymore.
They have not bought up all the movements from ETA or Dubois-dépraz just secured a constant supply.As ETA a few years back were going to stop supplies to anyone outside the Swatch group unless the dial stated ETA.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2014, 10:21 PM   #14
Progman2000
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great post, thank you. The modular chrono was one of my concerns when I bought my THC because of all the various comments on here. Most of the people who seem to really know what they're talking testify to the durability of the movement.
Progman2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Had this one a LONG time now...

Was fast one second from yesterday to today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 9.41.14 PM.jpg (47.2 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by Alfredo.; 25 August 2014 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: .
Alfredo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 01:00 PM   #16
Old Expat Beast

Nice Alfredo. Do you keep your chrono hands running all the time, or just use them occasionally?
Old 25 August 2014, 01:03 PM   #17
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice Alfredo. Do you keep your chrono hands running all the time, or just use them occasionally?
Thanks Adam, No the chronos are never running all the time. I only use them occasionally. Probably about once or twice per week.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:06 PM   #18
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Mine has not been serviced and has run a consistent +4 secs per day for the past 3 years.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 01:08 PM   #19
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo. View Post
Thanks Adam, No the chronos are never running all the time. I only use them occasionally. Probably about once or twice per week.
I leave mine on all the time, having read on the forums that there are mixed opinions on this generally, but also that on the THC the gears of the chrono module are turning anyway whether the chrono hands are engaged or not, so it doesn't add much extra wear anyway.

The orange hand is synched with the small seconds hand, and I like to have it running as it is easier to see.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:12 PM   #20
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I leave mine on all the time, having read on the forums that there are mixed opinions on this generally, but also that on the THC the gears of the chrono module are turning anyway whether the chrono hands are engaged or not, so it doesn't add much extra wear anyway.

The orange hand is synched with the small seconds hand, and I like to have it running as it is easier to see.
That´s interesting. I had never heard of that. I will try doing this tomorrow as syncing the orange hand is a good idea for visibility. Thanks for that info. Glad my THC is running good.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:15 PM   #21
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
That´s interesting. I had never heard of that. I will try doing this tomorrow as syncing the orange hand is a good idea for visibility. Thanks for that info. Glad my THC is running good.
Check to see if it effects the accuracy, too...mine seems to slow it by about one second a day, from +3 to +2.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:22 PM   #22
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

I actually did have a problem at the end of the warranty. You can read the details in this thread:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=320711

But her is the relevant part:
"I recently wore my THC on a job were I had to use the stop watch function a lot. Car racing to be precise, which I think is what the watch was built for.

I noticed that the watch was super slow twice. Once all of a sudden an hour and then next day just as suddenly 25 minutes. Use to be +/- 1 sec/day. After studying the problem I noticed that it appeared that if you stopped the stop-watch, you kind of would stop the watch entirely. I brought this one to Wempe too, hoping they could just look at it right there (after all I thought that was the advantage of having an ETA movement.)

But no. New rules from Rolex, of course: Since the reintroduction of Tudor to the US all new models (because I pointed out to Wempe that they did work on an older Tudor model of mine previously) have now to be shipped to Dallas. Even just to be looked at!!! And that for a little shipping fee of $45.00. I told Wempe I could just go across the Street to Rolex and wait for a diagnosis. But Wempe said; No, not any more. ALL new Tudors have to go to Dallas no matter what. That is where all the parts are. And the ADs are not even allowed to store parts any more.
"

They serviced it with now charge, so I have no idea how expensive it might have been.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2014, 01:27 PM   #23
Old Expat Beast

Thanks that's interesting. Here in Hong Kong, Rolex and Tudor service centres are in the same building, and easy to get to, but I imagine that would be a major headache to send it away not knowing if you would be charged, etc.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:31 PM   #24
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks that's interesting. Here in Hong Kong, Rolex and Tudor service centres are in the same building, and easy to get to, but I imagine that would be a major headache to send it away not knowing if you would be charged, etc.
Unlike the US, Hong Kong has an uninterrupted Tudor history. That should definitely help you and your potential service.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:31 PM   #25
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Check to see if it effects the accuracy, too...mine seems to slow it by about one second a day, from +3 to +2.
I will do that! That will be interesting to try out. Today was +1, tomorrow I will check again with the chronos off to make sure today´s reading was consistent, and I will engage chronos so I can check them Tuesday and again Wednesday to compare.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:32 PM   #26
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
PS: Congrats to your new watch.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:32 PM   #27
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
I will do that! That will be interesting to try out. Today was +1, tomorrow I will check again with the chronos off to make sure today´s reading was consistent, and I will engage chronos so I can check them Tuesday and again Wednesday to compare.
I look forward to the results
Old 25 August 2014, 01:38 PM   #28
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I look forward to the results
How do you check for accuracy, Adam? I downloaded an app from the app store for my Mac which seems to be a pretty good start. Nothing fancy, but it works.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:52 PM   #29
Old Expat Beast

I just check it against time.is on my Mac, iPad or iPhone, which gives me a clear indication of whether it's gained or lost more than a second in the previous 24 hours.
Old 25 August 2014, 01:54 PM   #30
Alfredo.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just check it against time.is on my Mac, iPad or iPhone, which gives me a clear indication of whether it's gained or lost more than a second in the previous 24 hours.
I will post the results along with the chart!