The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 July 2015, 08:44 AM   #1
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167, 16570, 5513
5513 bracelet question...

I'm looking for a oyster bracelet for my 1970 5513. I have the original bracelet that came with the watch but want a newer one with a fliplock and keep the original in good condition. So my question is what bracelet and endlinks do I need for a 1970 5513. Will a 93150 work? Thanks!!!!
samuelhuntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2015, 09:00 AM   #2
jdmi32
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
93150 with 580 end links is what you want.
jdmi32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2015, 09:02 AM   #3
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmi32 View Post
93150 with 580 end links is what you want.
+1

Don't forget to wear your 5513 WITH the 9315 on special occasions!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex Submariner 5513 2.0.jpg (79.2 KB, 394 views)
Old 19 July 2015, 09:15 AM   #4
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Wearing it today! The bracelet that came with the watch is stamped rolex usa, C&I, 76' and its a folded link. No other markings, is it a 9315? Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19 July 2015, 01:18 PM   #5
omitohud
"TRF" Member

That's not 9315. As u said 9315 has double lock n it has folded links. Does the current one stretch? If it is probably original to ur watch.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2015, 01:08 AM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhuntington View Post

Wearing it today! The bracelet that came with the watch is stamped rolex usa, C&I, 76' and its a folded link. No other markings, is it a 9315? Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, it's not a 9315 bracelet. It's a C&I bracelet, from 1976 and, (by that point alone) not original to your watch. It's also a RIVETed bracelet, and not a folded link. A folded link is exactly that: folded. Like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 11.04.20 AM.jpg (20.2 KB, 353 views)
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2015, 02:40 AM   #7
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Here's a great link on the USA C+I Rivet bracelet....

If it were "original" to your watch, it likely would have been added on by the AD at the time of purchase. Most that I have seen are within a couple of years of the watch head manufacture date...

http://www.timekeeperforum.com/forum...bracelet.4856/
Old 20 July 2015, 03:13 AM   #8
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info!!! So probably not original to my watch, what would it have come with? A 9315? Thanks
Old 20 July 2015, 04:18 AM   #9
g-boac
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhuntington View Post
Thanks for the info!!! So probably not original to my watch, what would it have come with? A 9315? Thanks
Hello Sam! There's a good chance the C+I bracelet is original or reasonably correct to your watch if its original point of sale was USA. USA AD's outfitted Rolex sports models with USA-made C+I bracelets through the late 70s. They look similar to the Swiss Made riveted (or "rivet") bracelets, such as the 7206 used through the very late 60s (with actually, the early 70s being the transition period where you could find either a 7206 or 9315 original to the watch).

I've read repeatedly in the vintage Rolex (and Omega, for that matter) communities is that in the 1960s, watches were shipped to dealers as heads, and the customer had the option to choose a bracelet at the point of sale. Recall that Rolex offered a couple or several different bracelet options ("oyster", "president", and "jubilee") depending on the watch; and in the US, US AD's offered C+I USA-made bracelets, which reduced the total duties/tariffs paid on the watch. And that's how the watches were sold.

It really is not unheard of to see a gap of a few years between watch S/N and C+I bracelet in the USA market. I recall seeing at least one GMT-Master 1675 with box, papers, and original receipt that had a serial number implying ~1972 manufacture, with the receipt (and bracelet) dated '74 or '75. Of course, statistically speaking, it is more likely than less likely to find a bracelet and watch S/Ns space closer together than further apart. . .but, the point to the story above is that it's not impossible.

So for starters, you don't have a "lemon" or otherwise a bad bracelet for your watch. And it could be original. If you'd like to put it into an all-Swiss configuration, they you'd be right to purchase a 9315 bracelet - which would also get you the Oyster fliplock you are looking for.

The 9315 bracelet you'd need to buy secondhand by looking at FS sections here, posting a WTB, or looking elsewhere. A 93150 you could buy in similar fashion; or, from Rolex directly as it is still a current production service replacement item. It looks like you're in the Northeast, so your closest Rolex Service Center (RSC) is likely in New York City - although if you contact any RSC, they can probably help you. You also may be able to order one from any jeweler nearby you who is an AD (who in turn, will interact with RSC on your behalf).

The 9315 is more period-correct. The 93150 is sturdier; but, for a vintage watch, the 9315 (and 7206 for that matter - which also would very much be correct for a 1970 watch) give it a great vintage feel and look that go great with the watch. The C+I is a keeper for you though - as it certainly may be original, and it itself is no slouch. Remember: this is a bracelet that Rolex approved for sale with its Submariners and GMT-Masters as original equipment!!

Good luck and enjoy!
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2015, 06:58 AM   #10
samuelhuntington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-boac View Post
Hello Sam! There's a good chance the C+I bracelet is original or reasonably correct to your watch if its original point of sale was USA. USA AD's outfitted Rolex sports models with USA-made C+I bracelets through the late 70s. They look similar to the Swiss Made riveted (or "rivet") bracelets, such as the 7206 used through the very late 60s (with actually, the early 70s being the transition period where you could find either a 7206 or 9315 original to the watch).

I've read repeatedly in the vintage Rolex (and Omega, for that matter) communities is that in the 1960s, watches were shipped to dealers as heads, and the customer had the option to choose a bracelet at the point of sale. Recall that Rolex offered a couple or several different bracelet options ("oyster", "president", and "jubilee") depending on the watch; and in the US, US AD's offered C+I USA-made bracelets, which reduced the total duties/tariffs paid on the watch. And that's how the watches were sold.

It really is not unheard of to see a gap of a few years between watch S/N and C+I bracelet in the USA market. I recall seeing at least one GMT-Master 1675 with box, papers, and original receipt that had a serial number implying ~1972 manufacture, with the receipt (and bracelet) dated '74 or '75. Of course, statistically speaking, it is more likely than less likely to find a bracelet and watch S/Ns space closer together than further apart. . .but, the point to the story above is that it's not impossible.

So for starters, you don't have a "lemon" or otherwise a bad bracelet for your watch. And it could be original. If you'd like to put it into an all-Swiss configuration, they you'd be right to purchase a 9315 bracelet - which would also get you the Oyster fliplock you are looking for.

The 9315 bracelet you'd need to buy secondhand by looking at FS sections here, posting a WTB, or looking elsewhere. A 93150 you could buy in similar fashion; or, from Rolex directly as it is still a current production service replacement item. It looks like you're in the Northeast, so your closest Rolex Service Center (RSC) is likely in New York City - although if you contact any RSC, they can probably help you. You also may be able to order one from any jeweler nearby you who is an AD (who in turn, will interact with RSC on your behalf).

The 9315 is more period-correct. The 93150 is sturdier; but, for a vintage watch, the 9315 (and 7206 for that matter - which also would very much be correct for a 1970 watch) give it a great vintage feel and look that go great with the watch. The C+I is a keeper for you though - as it certainly may be original, and it itself is no slouch. Remember: this is a bracelet that Rolex approved for sale with its Submariners and GMT-Masters as original equipment!!

Good luck and enjoy!
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this fantastic post!! It's very much appreciated. I'm now on the lookout for a 9315 or 93150, gonna do some more research to figure out which I'll be happier with.
Old 20 July 2015, 08:32 AM   #11
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Get the 93150 to wear as its sturdier n won't rattle as much.

I blame it on the autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2015, 09:03 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wear mine daily with my 7206 bracelet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (65.1 KB, 301 views)
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote