The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 April 2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Viv Savage
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, JLC
A question about Rolex servicing.

As part of servicing when the sapphire crystal needs replacing, is the watch fitted with the new crystal that has the anti glare cyclops?

Thanks in advance.
Old 7 April 2016, 10:25 AM   #2
albmich
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k
No. Just like a 5 digit reference isn't fitted with a ceramic bezel when serviced
albmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 10:39 AM   #3
FritzW
Banned

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by albmich View Post
No. Just like a 5 digit reference isn't fitted with a ceramic bezel when serviced
I'm not following this answer. why wouldnt it be replace with an AR cyclpops if it had one before?
The OP never said what the watch in questions was.
FritzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 10:43 AM   #4
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes, it is.
I took my 2004 GMT 2 for service at my local RSC. The watch required a new sapphire because the original had a few very small slight chips on its edge.
The replacement sapphire they put in has the antiglare cyclops with the AR coating AND it has the laser etched Rolex Crown Logo under the glass at the six o clock position, something the original crystal did not have when the watch was made in 2004.
GMT Aviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 10:46 AM   #5
FritzW
Banned

Watch: BLNR
Antiglare whole sapphire cyrstal? Or just anti glare cyclops. Never heard of Rolex using a sapphire crystal.
FritzW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 10:51 AM   #6
albmich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzW View Post
Antiglare whole sapphire cyrstal? Or just anti glare cyclops. Never heard of Rolex using a sapphire crystal.
I thought it seemed pretty obvious that OP was referring to an originally non-AR coated cyclops crystal. Otherwise it's just a dumb question - why in the heck would Rolex take off your originally AR coated cyclops crystal and replace it with one that wasn't?! Am I missing something here?

Also what do you mean that you haven't heard of Rolex using a sapphire crystal? All their modern watches have sapphire crystals
Old 7 April 2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Viv Savage
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, JLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Yes, it is.
I took my 2004 GMT 2 for service at my local RSC. The watch required a new sapphire because the original had a few very small slight chips on its edge.
The replacement sapphire they put in has the antiglare cyclops with the AR coating AND it has the laser etched Rolex Crown Logo under the glass at the six o clock position, something the original crystal did not have when the watch was made in 2004.
Excellent. The watch I'm referring to is a Day-Date Ref. 18039.
Old 7 April 2016, 11:06 AM   #8
albmich
"TRF" Member

It is my genuine understanding that Rolex doesn't do these upgrades for watches that didn't originally have them. I recall an old post (2011) from user subtona who sent a 16613 in for service and got a new crystal and it DID NOT have AR under the cyclops. Perhaps some others can weigh in
Old 7 April 2016, 11:27 AM   #9
GMT Aviator

I don't think these are upgrades where the crystal is concerned.

The cyclops lenses must come as standard now with the AR coating regardless of the watch they are being fitted to.

As for the laser etched logo, again, it's not so much an upgrade to the watch, more of an official Rolex seal to prove its a genuine part. I imagine all crystals now come laser etched.

All I do know is I have 3 16710's and this is the only one now with both AR cyclops and the laser etched logo, both of which were not there prior to service.
Old 7 April 2016, 11:31 AM   #10
albmich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't think these are upgrades where the crystal is concerned.

The cyclops lenses must come as standard now with the AR coating regardless of the watch they are being fitted to.

As for the laser etched logo, again, it's not so much an upgrade to the watch, more of an official Rolex seal to prove its a genuine part. I imagine all crystals now come laser etched.

All I do know is I have 3 16710's and this is the only one now with both AR cyclops and the laser etched logo, both of which were not there prior to service.
Was it a random serial 16710? Cuz I believe those come with AR anyways
Old 8 April 2016, 04:36 AM   #11
GMT Aviator

No. The 16710's were never random serial numbers. That came with the arrival of the ceramic GMT 116710 in 2009 I believe.

However, some of the last 16710's may well of had the Rolex laser engraved crown in the crystal, but not in 2004.
Old 8 April 2016, 04:41 AM   #12
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
It is my genuine understanding that Rolex doesn't do these upgrades for watches that didn't originally have them. I recall an old post (2011) from user subtona who sent a 16613 in for service and got a new crystal and it DID NOT have AR under the cyclops. Perhaps some others can weigh in
That was five years ago. Rolex isn't going to stock two different crystals for 30 years. At some point the non-AR version will get used up.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 04:42 AM   #13
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
However, some of the last 16710's may well of had the Rolex laser engraved crown in the crystal, but not in 2004.
My late F Serial, owned from new, has the engraved crystal.
Old 8 April 2016, 09:54 AM   #14
albmich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
That was five years ago. Rolex isn't going to stock two different crystals for 30 years. At some point the non-AR version will get used up.
So why would they stock 2 different bezel inserts (steel and ceramic)?! By that logic, wouldn't the steel inserts get used up?!

My 1680 was serviced recently and they didn't put a sapphire crystal on it with AR under the cyclops. They didn't replace the dial with white gold housing for the lume plots. So I'm not sure what you're saying exactly
Old 8 April 2016, 10:58 AM   #15
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
So why would they stock 2 different bezel inserts (steel and ceramic)?! By that logic, wouldn't the steel inserts get used up?!
Uh... because they're not direct swappable and never appeared on the same reference number? I would have thought the logic obvious. Why do they replace 16710 GMT2 dials with the "error" or "stick" dials that people love? Because all the olds got used up.
Old 8 April 2016, 11:20 AM   #16
albmich
"TRF" Member

My 1680 was just replaced with an acrylic crystal.. They're not putting sapphire with AR cyclops on every watch that comes thru the service center. You may be right, im not 100% sure, but I'm still not convinced by the argument that Rolex simply runs out of parts. They still have steel inserts, they still have hollow center link bracelets, they still have hollow endlinks, they still have ancient helium valves for old sea dwellers.
Old 8 April 2016, 11:23 AM   #17
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
RSC will always attempt to keep the watch in it's original specifications. One of the exceptions are movements with open 6 and 9 fonts where the will replace it with closed if they no longer can source that particular font on the date wheel. To Rolex, it's not something that they would 'care', only a WIS.
Old 8 April 2016, 11:39 AM   #18
albmich
"TRF" Member

The verdict is still out.

These two examples did not get AR:

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=450750

http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=146370

But in my search I did find available some 16610 crystals with AR. will have to wait for more people to weigh in
Old 9 April 2016, 01:01 AM   #19
albmich
"TRF" Member

During some downtime at work this morning I called RSC NY and spoke with a representative in the service department about a crystal replacement on a 5-digit reference submariner with no AR coating. She personally went back and spoke with a technician who states that the crystal is replaced with the exact crystal that the watch originally has. They said if I send in a submariner with no AR coating under the crystal that it will be replaced by a crystal with no AR coating. Hope this clears things up for you!
Old 9 April 2016, 02:35 AM   #20
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
During some downtime at work this morning I called RSC NY and spoke with a representative in the service department about a crystal replacement on a 5-digit reference submariner with no AR coating. She personally went back and spoke with a technician who states that the crystal is replaced with the exact crystal that the watch originally has. They said if I send in a submariner with no AR coating under the crystal that it will be replaced by a crystal with no AR coating. Hope this clears things up for you!
Now call Dallas and BH
Old 9 April 2016, 02:45 AM   #21
albmich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Now call Dallas and BH
My due diligence has been done. I know for a fact based on my experience with Rolex that they don't put new parts on old watches, I cited two former posts of users who sent their old watches in and didn't get AR crystals, and I personally called RSC NYC and confirmed it with a service rep and service technician. I also stated several examples of not putting new parts on old watches (i.e. Hollow center link bracelets don't get replaced with newer solid ones and old steel inserts don't get replaced by ceramic ones). You're starting to sound silly. Just admit you're wrong and move on. We all learned from this
Old 9 April 2016, 06:46 AM   #22
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
My due diligence has been done. I know for a fact based on my experience with Rolex that they don't put new parts on old watches, I cited two former posts of users who sent their old watches in and didn't get AR crystals, and I personally called RSC NYC and confirmed it with a service rep and service technician. I also stated several examples of not putting new parts on old watches (i.e. Hollow center link bracelets don't get replaced with newer solid ones and old steel inserts don't get replaced by ceramic ones). You're starting to sound silly. Just admit you're wrong and move on. We all learned from this
Thanks for the legwork, JTT! We are now all slightly smarter about the Rolex way.
captain_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote