The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 April 2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Rolexvin
"TRF" Member

Daytona SS

Is is still worth to buy the outgoing Daytona at MSRP if you find one?
Rolexvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Blown Wide Open
"TRF" Member

Watch: All with a crown.
if your worried is the price and value will drop like a stone, I don't think so, for multiple reasons. However, my perspective is purely conjecture. So is everyone's after my post till we really see what the market does.

Instagram: El_Diablo_Rosso
Blown Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 10:21 AM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexvin View Post
I won't purchased one at MSRP when you can buy one slightly used here in the forums from trusted sellers, just my 2 cents
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 10:25 AM   #4
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Really the only question is used or new. IF new than MSRP is the only option. Looks like DavidSW just listed one at $12,175 (i think, but either way it's over MSRP).

I happen to be currently hunting down a 116520 for my best friends fiance as a wedding gift for my friend and at this point it looks like she should jump on anything new she can. Some ADs still claim waiting list, others claim it may never be delivered to them again.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 10:54 AM   #5
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
My AD has a new one that is locked in the vault for 12k. I tried it on last week so I think AD's have them but they are just locked-up. With the announcement of Daytona C, people are waiting for the new model by the end of the year. If you want info, PM me. The white Daytona went back to the vault and not in the display case after I tried it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Really the only question is used or new. IF new than MSRP is the only option. Looks like DavidSW just listed one at $12,175 (i think, but either way it's over MSRP).

I happen to be currently hunting down a 116520 for my best friends fiance as a wedding gift for my friend and at this point it looks like she should jump on anything new she can. Some ADs still claim waiting list, others claim it may never be delivered to them again.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
If you want one, of course. Why ever would you think otherwise..
Old 8 April 2016, 11:19 AM   #7
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
I've got two - and both are worth every penny.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:23 AM   #8
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4srolex View Post
My AD has a new one that is locked in the vault for 12k. I tried it on last week so I think AD's have them but they are just locked-up. With the announcement of Daytona C, people are waiting for the new model by the end of the year. If you want info, PM me. The white Daytona went back to the vault and not in the display case after I tried it on.
Thanks very much! I appreciate it. She's definitely getting him a black dial one (hopefully). So the one your AD has is white dial?
Old 8 April 2016, 11:26 AM   #9
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
White only. Actual picture of watch on my wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Thanks very much! I appreciate it. She's definitely getting him a black dial one (hopefully). So the one your AD has is white dial?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.2 KB, 555 views)

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:30 AM   #10
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4srolex View Post
White only. Actual picture of watch on my wrist.
Looks good on you!!! ;)

Someone should really snatch that up.
Old 8 April 2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Majin Buu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust now
Hi there !

No, as always just get the best deal you can !

J.
Majin Buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:38 AM   #12
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:40 AM   #13
speedmaster73
Banned

yes its worth it....the way some people are going on its almost as if Rolex released a brand new daytona model...they didnt.....they added a ceramic bezel...and the white dial has changed a little bit......thats it thats all.....nothing else....same bracelet, same movement......same size...

in fact im shocked rolex is discontinuing the steel bezel model because really its a matter of preference....some like the steel bezel some like ceramic.....

personally i like the white dial ceramic the best and the black dial SS bezel second.......
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:47 AM   #14
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
In 5 years your 116520 will be holding its value very nicely. You might see a small 500$ average price dip in the next year or so due to the market being flooded. However, this will quickly pass. It is a great time to buy a used Daytona right now and at the right price it may even be a decent investment 10 years down the road. Just my .02.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:49 AM   #15
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
The market is down right now for preowned. It's a great time to buy. I can't see the 116520 consistently selling for less than $9,000 for the rest of time.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 12:19 PM   #16
Daytona88
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5712
In the short term, supply of preowned will likely increase and demand may decrease with many awaiting the new reference. That will drive the price down but unlikely that you will see a BNIB for less than MSRP.
Daytona88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 01:15 PM   #17
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
In 5 years your 116520 will be holding its value very nicely. You might see a small 500$ average price dip in the next year or so due to the market being flooded. However, this will quickly pass. It is a great time to buy a used Daytona right now and at the right price it may even be a decent investment 10 years down the road. Just my .02.
What makes you think the market will be flooded? When the Sub C was launched, was the market flooded with previous model Subs?

ADs are charging way over MSRP for SS Daytonas here, if they can get them, (I refer specifically to Singapore and not the rest of the world). I really don't understand the doom merchants who assume that the market will be flooded with SS Daytonas and that their value will plummet. Nothing more than conjecture and/or wishful thinking.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 02:33 PM   #18
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

If you want one.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 02:45 PM   #19
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
What makes you think the market will be flooded? When the Sub C was launched, was the market flooded with previous model Subs?

ADs are charging way over MSRP for SS Daytonas here, if they can get them, (I refer specifically to Singapore and not the rest of the world). I really don't understand the doom merchants who assume that the market will be flooded with SS Daytonas and that their value will plummet. Nothing more than conjecture and/or wishful thinking.
Flooded may be too strong of a word. I am saying that you might save 500$ more on a used Daytona currently in comparison to if you were purchasing in febuary. I expect this will only last for a short time. Once the Daytona C is released i think the old daytonas will quickly bounce back and increase in value over time. The UK is widely known to be one of the poorest markets for purchasing daytonas. I feel bad for you. It is completely different in the USA and Canada. Especially if you are not buying in a big city.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 03:11 PM   #20
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Flooded may be too strong of a word. I am saying that you might save 500$ more on a used Daytona currently in comparison to if you were purchasing in febuary. I expect this will only last for a short time. Once the Daytona C is released i think the old daytonas will quickly bounce back and increase in value over time. The UK is widely known to be one of the poorest markets for purchasing daytonas. I feel bad for you. It is completely different in the USA and Canada. Especially if you are not buying in a big city.
I have a SS Daytona and picked mine up in Singapore relatively easily but I had to pay above retail for it.. As you say though, no chance of getting one at home. On the other hand, finding a D-Blue here is near impossible so I had to go home to the UK to get it. Similar story with the BLNR (that's just difficult to find but not impossible). Different markets, different popularity of references

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 03:33 PM   #21
Investr
Banned

Watch: Constantly changes
[QUOTE=Chadridv;6607246]Really the only question is used or new. IF new than MSRP is the only option. Looks like DavidSW just listed one at $12,175 (i think, but either way it's over MSRP).

what a stunner!! He will probably offer $7500 on a 6 month old 116520 and say its because the new one is coming out....
Investr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 09:20 PM   #22
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Its only worth it if yourself wants to own and wear one.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2016, 11:50 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
It is if you want one.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 02:31 AM   #24
Rolexvin
"TRF" Member

One the reasons I ask is that when I bought my first Daytona in 2005, I paid about 6600 from the AD, and the second I stepped out of the store, I could have sold it for 10k. I ended up selling later. (I regret as not the replacement cost is much more).

Now, if I pay msrp an wear it, it looks like I am taking the hit like any other watch. I think I will just wait for the new one when it comes out. For wearability the cerachrom is much better anyway.
Rolexvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 02:37 AM   #25
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
One the reasons I ask is that when I bought my first Daytona in 2005, I paid about 6600 from the AD, and the second I stepped out of the store, I could have sold it for 10k. I ended up selling later. (I regret as not the replacement cost is much more).

Now, if I pay msrp an wear it, it looks like I am taking the hit like any other watch. I think I will just wait for the new one when it comes out. For wearability the cherachrom is much better anyway.
I doubt the new one will be a long term "flip for double" watch like the Zenith and super early 116520. Buy what you want and buy slightly used if you're worried about losing money. There's really nothing to it more than that.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2016, 03:00 AM   #26
RolexAuthority
Banned

Financially I wouldn't there are below $9000 in real world market but if your heart desires it why not
RolexAuthority is offline   Reply With Quote